AGA KHAN MUSIC AWARDS 2019

Admin

Post by Admin »

https://zap.aeiou.pt/aga-khan-quadros-s ... seu-248902

Aga Khan vai doar dois quadros do século XVII ao Museu Nacional de Arte Antiga

Por Lusa -

29 Março, 2019

O príncipe ismaelita Karim Aga Khan com o primeiro-ministro António Costa

O príncipe Aga Khan vai doar duas pinturas portuguesas do século XVII ao Estado português, numa cerimónia que decorrerá esta tarde no Museu Nacional de Arte Antiga, em Lisboa.

De acordo com um comunicado do gabinete da ministra da Cultura, Graça Fonseca, divulgado na quarta-feira, as obras doadas são da autoria do pintor Bento Coelho da Silveira (1617-1708), pintor régio de Pedro II.

Estão previstas as presenças de Aga Khan, 49.º Íman hereditário e líder espiritual dos muçulmanos xiitas ismaelitas, do irmão, o príncipe Amyn Aga Khan, da ministra da Cultura, Graça Fonseca, e do diretor do Museu Nacional de Arte Antiga, António Filipe Pimentel.

A tutela anunciou ainda que Aga Khan vai também doar uma terceira pintura de Bento Coelho da Silveira, a “Apresentação da Virgem no Templo”, ao Museu Nacional de Soares dos Reis, no Porto, que deverá ser entregue no mês de maio.

Ao Museu Nacional de Arte Antiga serão agora entregues “Repouso no regresso do Egito” e “Virgem com o menino e a visão da Cruz”. “Repouso no Regresso do Egito”, óleo sobre tela com 219 por 216 centímetros, de 1695, “é uma obra admirável de Bento Coelho, pela sua dinâmica e encenação assumidamente barrocas”, descreve o comunicado.

“Virgem com o Menino e a visão da Cruz”, óleo sobre tela com 221 por 227 centímetros, também de 1695, segue de perto a obra do pintor maneirista Maarten de Vos (1532-1603), conhecida através de uma gravura de 1614, de Raphael Sadeler.

A Igreja de São Cristóvão, em Lisboa, reúne um dos maiores núcleos conhecidos de obras do pintor maneirista, com 44 telas, entre as quais a “Última Ceia”, recém-restaurada no âmbito de uma ação de financiamento coletivo, inserido no projeto “Arte por São Cristóvão”, do Orçamento Participativo de Lisboa, que mobilizou artistas como Rui Chafes e Madalena Vitorino.

O Ministério da Cultura sublinha que “estas doações contribuem para o enriquecimento das coleções expostas nos museus nacionais, e reforçam uma política nacional que se afirma diversa para as coleções artísticas e patrimoniais, públicas e/ou privadas”.

As obras são doadas através do Imamat Ismaili e da Rede Aga Khan para o Desenvolvimento, entidades que estabeleceram um acordo, em 2015, com o Estado Português, para instalação da sua sede mundial em Lisboa.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Aga Khan Music Awards presented to ten laureates

At a momentous and celebratory event held at the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation in Lisbon, the Aga Khan Music Awards reached a crescendo, as His Excellency President Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa, Mawlana Hazar Imam, and Prince Amyn awarded prizes to ten laureates, representing 13 countries around the world.

Shortly before the Prize-Giving Ceremony, each of the laureates performed at a concluding Gala Concert, in which music artists from different regions performed for guests, in what represented a showcase for diversity and pluralism through music.

His Excellency the President of Portugal addressed guests gathered at the event prior to awarding the prizes, saying that, “This prize is a start of a long journey together. You and us, thinking of peace in the world, multilateralism, dialogue, a common fight against intolerance, and music is a great way of doing this.”

Mawlana Hazar Imam established the Aga Khan Music Awards in 2018 in recognition of his commitment to creative expression. The Awards recognise exceptional creativity, promise, and enterprise in music performance, creation, education, preservation and revitalisation in societies across the world in which Muslims have a significant presence.

In his remarks, Hazar Imam explained the significance of music in Muslim contexts: “The cultural heritage of Islam has long embraced musical language as an elemental expression of human spirituality. Listening to music, practicing music, sharing music, performing music - have long been an intimate part of life for Muslim communities across the world, as has the chanting of devotional and historical or epic texts,” he said.

The Gala Concert and Prize-Giving Ceremony brought together nine laureates in six categories: Mustafa Said (Performance); Franghiz Ali-Zadeh (Creation); The Omnibus Ensemble (Education); Badiaa Bouhrizi (Social Inclusion); Oumou Sangaré, Ballake Sissoko, and Dariush Talai (Distinguished and Enduring Contributions); and Farhod Halimov and The Gurminj Museum (Preservation, Revitalisation, and Dissemination). A special Patron’s award was also conferred to Mohammad Reza Shajarian for his contributions to music, and sustained social impact within Iran and beyond.

Throughout the history of Muslim societies, arts and music have played an important role as a source of spiritual enlightenment, moral inspiration, and social cohesion. The elegant sounds of traditional instruments, the allure of poetic lyrics, and the depth of human vocals for example, have also been used by artists to recognise the splendour of the world, and provide a reflection of the Islamic tradition which gives beauty its own intrinsic value.

Remarking on the outstanding artistic talent of the musicians gathered on this occasion, Hazar Imam said, “Here in Lisbon today — and across the world in the months and years to come — their voices will, we trust, continue to transcend old boundaries of time and place, reminding the world that every individual can respond to art and music, whether it emanates from a different culture or not.”

Photos at:

https://the.ismaili/news/aga-khan-music ... -laureates
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Aga Khan Music Awards prize-giving ceremony at the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation

Bismillah-ir-Rahman-ir-Rahim

Your Excellency, President of the Republic, Professor Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa,
Your Excellency, Vice-President of the Parliament, Mr. Jorge Lacão,
Madame Isabel Mota, President of the Gulbenkian Foundation,
Members of Government and of Parliament,
Diplomats, Excellencies, Distinguished Guests,
Ladies and Gentlemen,

It is a great pleasure, and a great honour, to welcome all of you who have come to this exceptional venue tonight, on this extraordinary occasion.

As I welcome you, I do so on behalf of many others, all around the world, who have made this occasion possible.

I speak of course of those who are part of the Ismaili Jamat and the Aga Khan Development Network, but, more generally, all those who have helped to organise the Aga Khan Music Awards. I salute them all - the nominators, the members of the Awards Steering Committee, the Master Jury, and the Awards Secretariat. And of course, all the participants. I salute all the Awardees whose musical talents have so generously enriched today’s events.

I am grateful, too, to those here in Lisbon who have helped to plan this inaugural programme, and to the Gulbenkian Foundation for their invaluable support. This event is one that celebrates artistic talent and the sociological effects of artistic accomplishment in and from diverse places and cultures. And this place, in my estimation, is the perfect location for doing that. The Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation is respected across the world for its role in honouring the arts and the sciences, while Lisbon has long been one of the world’s most welcoming cities for people of diverse cultures and backgrounds, and Portugal itself has played a major role over the centuries in bringing to the countries of this continent the cultures of distant lands.

The presence here tonight of the President of Portugal, the Vice-President of Parliament, the Minister of Culture, and so many other members of Government, speaks eloquently to the commitment of this country to pluralistic ideals in pursuit of a better tomorrow. We are deeply honoured to have you all with us.

The musicians we recognise this weekend represent highly diverse forms of the Muslim musical heritage. Now I know that in some parts of the world, the words “Muslim” and “music” are not often linked together in the public mind. But they should be. The cultural heritage of Islam has long embraced musical language as an elemental expression of human spirituality. Listening to music, practicing music, sharing music, performing music - have long been an intimate part of life for Muslim communities across the world, as has been the chanting of devotional and historical or epic texts.

I learned at a young age about how my own ancestors, the Fatimids, cultivated music in the city of Cairo a thousand years ago. And I also learned about how the Iberian region where we are now meeting, the territory known as al-Andalus, produced new forms of music and poetry in the late medieval period. It was here in al-Andulus that Muslims, Jews, Christians, created together an exemplary culture of tolerance, fostering musical creativity that even included new types of musical instruments and pioneering approaches to music education.

I also remember a visit I made to Tajikistan in 1995, during which I was deeply impressed by the richness of musical life among those whom I had visited. I began to think even more about the ways in which music can be a strong cultural anchor, deepening a sense of community, identity and heritage, while simultaneously reaching out in powerful ways to people of different backgrounds.

I recall sharing these thoughts with my brother, Prince Amyn Aga Khan, whose guiding hand helped to lay the groundwork, in 2001, for what we called the Aga Khan Music Initiative. And that programme has led directly to the Music Awards we inaugurate today.

The initial focus of the Aga Khan Music Initiative was in the countries of Central Asia. This mission was urgent, for the old Soviet Union, when it controlled these regions, had actively discouraged, or even suppressed, music linked to traditional ways of life. The Music Initiative worked first to build a heightened awareness of their musical heritage in local communities themselves, to ensure that a new generation of musicians playing traditional instruments was formed, and then to introduce this music and these musicians to international audiences. And it worked - on two levels. It helped musicians, first of all, to earn a livelihood so that they could continue to develop their talents. And, it also advanced a pluralistic understanding of Muslim cultures and inter-cultural sharing.

The initial success of this work in Central Asia led to the expansion of the Music Initiative beyond Central Asia’s borders to include countries in South Asia, the Middle East, and Africa. In so doing, it reached beyond performance to new composition, to creation, and all of this work complemented our other efforts to advance economic and social development, contributing to more stable communities, nurturing a new sense of inspiration and hope, and building vectors of human connectivity across old divides.

One other point we learned to appreciate and to share is the remarkable diversity which exists within the world of Muslim music! It comes in many styles, forms and classical repertoires. It includes simple folk melodies, contemplative mystical music and driving dance rhythms; and it reflects the immense diversity of different Muslim cultures themselves, including musical traditions that have been carefully cultivated over the centuries within the Ismaili community.

In creating the Music Awards, we now hope to expand the reach and impact of the original Music Initiative. To this end, our Award winners will not only each receive a monetary prize, but will also be asked to collaborate with the Music Awards secretariat in broadening the impact of their creative work in dialoguing with each other. The goal is not only to help today’s generation of artists, but also to inspire a new generation of young performers and composers in both the East and the West.

In all of the performances that are taking place on this occasion, you will hear outstanding musicians expressing themselves in their own authentic artistic languages. Here in Lisbon today - and across the world in the months and years to come - their voices will, we trust, continue to transcend old boundaries of time and place, reminding the world that every individual can respond to art and music, whether it emanates from a different culture or not.

For, after all, art is a matter of humanity just as much as it is a matter of identity. As the Islamic tradition has reminded us for many centuries, the Divine spark that bestows upon us our individuality also bonds individuals in a common human family.

In this light, we learn to see our differences in a new way. We can understand that cultural diversity is not a burden or a threat. In fact, it is rather a Divine Gift, an opportunity to learn and to grow, an opportunity to understand and to appreciate the Identity of the Other and thereby one’s own essential identity.

The technological forces that are re-shaping our world now mean that neighbours who live on the other side of the planet are as close to us as our neighbours who live across the street. In such a world, peace and progress require that we promote a pluralist agenda, that we invest in a Cosmopolitan ethic. These Music Awards aim to be an investment in that promotion.

Thank you.

https://www.akdn.org/speech/his-highnes ... gulbenkian
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Aga Khan Music Awards prize-giving ceremony at the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation

SPEECH DELIVERED BY Professor Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa

Your Highness, and a very dear host of this weekend – unforgettable weekend,
Excellencies,
Ladies and gentlemen,

It is so dangerous having to improvise after your speech that no President of the Republic is ready to do it. But anyway, I will say four short points.

The first one is to congratulate very warmly for this prize. It is a way of building bridges, of globalising in a very human way. Putting people together. A little bit what we Portuguese people think some way of being. A platform between cultures, civilisations, oceans and continents.

In a way, this prize is a start of a long journey together. You and us, thinking of peace in the world, multilateralism, dialogue, a common fight against intolerance, and for people - and music is a good way of doing this.

Second, a word to salute the winners- they deserve this word because they are the best.

Third, to recall something that is very especially in our thoughts today, yours and our thoughts, which is Mozambique. The sorrow and solidarity towards the country and the society, most of us know very well. A love, and so, we are with them in this very difficult moment of their lives.

Fourth, Your Highness I think I can’t resist announcing, if you allow me, that His Highness is for several weeks, a Portuguese citizen. It is an honour and a pleasure for us. I am very proud of having you as a Portuguese citizen, together, with being as you are, a citizen of the world

https://www.akdn.org/speech/professor-m ... y-calouste
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Inaugural event of the Aga Khan Music Awards

SPEECH DELIVERED BY Prince Amyn Aga Khan

Madame President of the Gulbenkian Foundation, Ms. Isabel Mota,
Honourable members of the Government, of Parliament, State Authorities, and Members of the Diplomatic Corps,
Your Excellencies, Distinguished Guests,
Ladies and Gentlemen,

This evening’s concert celebrates the inauguration of the Aga Khan Music Awards, established by my brother, His Highness the Aga Khan, to recognise exceptional creativity, promise, and enterprise in music performance, creation, education, preservation and revitalisation and in engendering social inclusion in societies across the world in which Muslims have a significant presence. Portugal is a shining example of a pluralistic society united while remaining conscious of its diversity, historical past and culture, and it is thus fitting that the first Awards and this first ceremony along with the related concerts and events should take place here. I am grateful indeed to the Government of Portugal for its support and to the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation for providing us their superb facilities for what I think is an exceptional occasion.

This happy event is particularly meaningful to me personally, as it represents the actualisation of an idea that I first broached to my brother almost two decades ago, when the Aga Khan Trust for Culture was taking its first steps toward the inclusion of music revitalisation in its cultural development portfolio. My idea was to establish a music prize that would aspire toward a level of worldwide visibility and impact in its field analogous to that of the Aga Khan Award for Architecture. Music has always been an art of special importance to me: Its power of communication is special, enormous and universal; it binds people together and unites them.

There is an old Sufi aphorism: “If you want to go north, go south.” And that more or less describes the circuitous path that has now led, finally, to the implementation of the Music Awards. It was back in 2001 that my brother launched in Central Asia the Aga Khan Music Initiative, as it was then called, with the aim of helping to preserve and revitalise traditional folk, classical and devotional music in the region. These preservation efforts were very much needed, for many of them had suffered neglect, or active suppression during the Soviet era.

As its first project, the Music Initiative created a network of music schools and centres in Afghanistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, and Tajikistan, each supported by a workshop to fabricate high-quality musical instruments for students. In some cases, instruments that had survived only on old recordings or as museum objects had to be reconstructed and reintroduced into practice. In other cases, local musical instruments that had come to be regarded as old-fashioned and undesirable were rehabilitated and repopularised through the teaching and mentoring activities of outstanding master musicians. Little by little, the young musicians who spent their after-school hours learning to play these instruments in the Music Initiative’s schools and centres found themselves in demand as performers and teachers. In 2003, when the first schools opened, we committed ourselves to a long-term investment in educating and developing the careers of the next generation of musical and cultural leaders in Central Asia. That commitment was met with scepticism in some quarters, but 15 years later, when we evaluated the results of our interventions, we found compelling evidence that our strategy had led to the results we’d envisioned. In making, in playing music, the children learn how to learn. The role in education that museums of musical instruments can play should not be under-estimated.

The Aga Khan Music Awards are expected to fill a unique cultural role. Among the world’s many music prizes, none as far as I know currently focuses on the full spectrum of devotional music and poetry, indigenous classical music, traditional folk music, and tradition-inspired contemporary music which has flourished and which we would like to see continue to flourish in cultures shaped by Islam. These musical genres and styles remain important in today’s world as they embody music’s traditional role as a source of spiritual enlightenment, moral inspiration, and social cohesion.

At a time when strengthening tolerance and pluralism has become an acute worldwide priority, music is one of the arts which offers a medium for reaching, involving and uniting global audiences by engendering emotions which we all share as human beings. I once said that music is made of dreams and the echo of dreams and I believe mankind shares the same dreams in large measure.

Not only does this evening’s concert celebrate the inauguration of the Music Awards; it also marks the debut of a collaboration between the Gulbenkian Orchestra and the Master Musicians of the Aga Khan Music Initiative. Their programme, developed specifically for this occasion, showcases the eclectic creativity of the Master Musicians, a group of cosmopolitan performer-composer-improvisers whose lives and careers have zigzagged between continents and among engagements with classical, folk, jazz, and contemporary concert music from around the world. I hope this music tonight will engage you emotionally and almost physically, as if you were attending a jam session.

The compositions by the Master Musicians that we will hear were arranged for the Gulbenkian Orchestra by Dmitri Yanov-Yanovsky, who lives in Tashkent in Uzbekistan and who is an admired composer in his own right, and who has been a long-time collaborator of the Aga Khan Music Initiative.

As we all know, orchestral representations of rhythms and melodies that were inspired by music and legends from the Middle East and Central Asia were present in much nineteenth-century music. One thinks of Rimsky-Korsakov and Borodin for example. It was a time when orientalist painting also reflected new interest and the excitement caused by an increased presence of Westerners in the East and new discoveries. Tonight, however, we have musicians from Afghanistan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, and Syria forming an orchestra to play their compositions which come from their own upbringing and traditions and which are played on their own musical instruments. The movement has been reversed: Instead of music which is trying to sound what the audience would think of as oriental, we are moving toward a music emanating directly from the East but including western elements and even in time with perhaps western instruments. From what risked being pastiche, we are moving toward a new, broader inclusive music that respects and includes different traditions, different sounds, different rhythms. A new, inclusive language. Music is, by definition, an evolutionary art, and musical composition has always evolved. Men have always travelled and have always taken their music with them, modifying and transforming their traditional music as they heard the music of the people they met.

This is the kind of adventurous artistic collaboration which reflects the pluralism that His Highness, together with the Aga Khan Trust for Culture and our entire community, have worked and are working to build and support. It is our hope and aspiration for the Aga Khan Music Awards that they should serve as a catalyst for many future projects that draw on the rich tapestry of Muslim musical heritage while reaching across the boundaries of time, place, and culture, assimilating the traditions and characteristics of other heritages into a global pluralistic sound. Musicians are irrepressible innovators for they implicitly understand that music must evolve to remain alive and culturally relevant. The institutions that stimulate, curate, commission and manage the production and dissemination of music must therefore also evolve and change. Both our Aga Khan Music Initiative and the Music Awards are no doubt no exceptions. Both are works in progress in the best sense. I hope you will join me in wishing them long life and continued productivity in the years and decades ahead.

https://www.akdn.org/speech/prince-amyn ... sic-awards
Admin

Post by Admin »

https://www.nation.co.ke/news/Aga-Khan- ... 28-isqh6b/

Aga Khan Music Awards winners bag Sh50m

Tuesday April 2 2019

n Summary

The music awards were established by His Highness the Aga Khan to recognise exceptional creativity, promise and enterprise in musical performance.

In the category of Social Inclusion, the award went to Badiaa Bouhrizi, a singer-songwriter and composer from Tunisia.
-----------------

By NATION REPORTER

The Aga Khan Music Awards ended in Lisbon, Portugal, on Sunday with winners taking home $500,000 (Sh50 million) in prizes.

The final concert brought together 10 laureates, six categories and 13 countries from Asia, Africa, the Middle East, Europe and North America in a showcase for diversity and pluralism through music. A Patron’s award was also conferred.

The awards were presented by His Highness the Aga Khan, President of the Portuguese Republic Prof Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa, and Prince Amyn Aga Khan.

CREATIVITY

The music awards were established by His Highness the Aga Khan to recognise exceptional creativity, promise and enterprise in musical performance, creation, education, preservation and revitalisation in societies across the world in which Muslims have a significant presence.

Finalists included Ahmad Al Khatib, oud (Palestine); Shahou Andalibi, Persian ney (Iran); Nai Barghouti, vocal and flute (Palestine); Huda Asfour, oud and qanun (Palestine); Sougata Roy Chowdhury, sarod (India); Burak Kaynarca, oud (Turkey); Asin Khan Langa, vocal and sarangi (India); Ejaz Sher Ali Khan, vocal and harmonium (Pakistan); Arash Mohafez, santur (Iran); Abeer Nehme, vocal (Lebanon); Reza Parvizade, kamancheh (Iran); Mohamad Osman, oud and buzuq (Syria); Mustafa Said, oud (Egypt); and Nasim Siabishahrivar, vocal (Iran).

In the category of Social Inclusion, the award went to Badiaa Bouhrizi, a singer-songwriter and composer from Tunisia, who has used her musical talent to promote social justice and the values of pluralism and democracy.
Admin

Post by Admin »

https://www.akdn.org/speech/professor-m ... m=referral

SPEECH DELIVERED BY Professor Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa

Lisbon, Portugal (31 March 2019)

Press release: Aga Khan Music Award laureates receive US$ 500,000 prize

Your Highness, and a very dear host of this weekend – unforgettable weekend,
Excellencies,
Ladies and gentlemen,

It is so dangerous having to improvise after your speech that no President of the Republic is ready to do it. But anyway, I will say four short points.

The first one is to congratulate very warmly for this prize. It is a way of building bridges, of globalising in a very human way. Putting people together. A little bit what we Portuguese people think some way of being. A platform between cultures, civilisations, oceans and continents.

In a way, this prize is a start of a long journey together. You and us, thinking of peace in the world, multilateralism, dialogue, a common fight against intolerance, and for people - and music is a good way of doing this.

Second, a word to salute the winners- they deserve this word because they are the best.

Third, to recall something that is very especially in our thoughts today, yours and our thoughts, which is Mozambique. The sorrow and solidarity towards the country and the society, most of us know very well. A love, and so, we are with them in this very difficult moment of their lives.

Fourth, Your Highness I think I can’t resist announcing, if you allow me, that His Highness is for several weeks, a Portuguese citizen. It is an honour and a pleasure for us. I am very proud of having you as a Portuguese citizen, together, with being as you are, a citizen of the world.
Admin

Post by Admin »

https://www.tehrantimes.com/news/434302 ... sic-Awards

Iran’s Mohammadreza Shajarian honored at Aga Khan Music Awards

Culture

April 1, 2019

EHRAN – Iran’s legendary vocalist Mohammadreza Shajarian has been honored with Patron’s Award at the Aga Khan Music Awards in Lisbon, Portugal.

The honor was conferred on Shajarian “in recognition of his enduring contribution to the musical heritage of humanity, his peerless musical mastery, and his sustained social impact as a performer and teacher, both within Iran and beyond its borders,” the organizers said during the awards ceremony held at the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation on Friday.

Iranian music icon Shajarian who is battling kidney cancer could not attend the ceremony and his daughter, Mojgan, received the award in behalf of her father.

Portuguese-British business magnate Aga Khan established the Aga Khan Music Awards in 2018 to recognize exceptional creativity, promise, and enterprise in music performance, creation, education, preservation and revitalization in societies across the Muslim world.

Egyptian oud virtuoso Mustafa Said won the award in the Performance category, in which ney player Shahu Andalibi, santur player Arash Mohafez, kamancheh player Reza Parvizzadeh and vocalist Nasim Siabishahrivar, all from Iran, also received nominations.

Azerbaijani composer Franghiz Ali-Zadeh received the award in the Creation section.

The award in in the Education category went to the Omnibus Ensemble from Uzbekistan and Badiaa Bouhrizi, underground composer and singer from Tunisia, honored in the Social Inclusion section.

Malian musician Oumou Sangare and her fellow kora player, Ballake Sissoko, and Iranian tar virtuoso Dariush Talai shared the award in the Distinguished and Enduring Contributions section.

Tajik musician Farhod Halimov and the Gurminj Museum of Musical Instruments in Dushanbe, Tajikistan won the award in the Preservation, Revitalization, and Dissemination category.

Photo: Iran’s legendary vocalist Mohammadreza Shajarian in an undated photo.

MMS
Admin

Post by Admin »

https://bdnews24.com/music/2019/04/02/a ... 000-prizes

Aga Khan Music Award laureates receive $500,000 prizes

Senior Correspondent, bdnews24.com

Published: 02 Apr 2019 01:05 AM BdST Updated: 02 Apr 2019 01:05 AM BdST

A final concert that brought together ten laureates, six categories and 13 countries across Asia, Africa, the Middle East, Europe, and North America was also held on Sunday in a showcase for diversity and pluralism through music, the Aga Khan Foundation said in a statement.

A Patron’s Award was also conferred. The awards were presented by the Aga Khan, Portuguese President Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa, and Prince Amyn Aga Khan.

“This prize is a start of a long journey together. You and us, thinking of peace in the world, multilateralism, dialogue, a common fight against intolerance, and music is a great way of doing this,” said the president.

The music awards were established by the Aga Khan to recognise exceptional creativity, promise, and enterprise in musical performance, creation, education, preservation and revitalisation in societies across the world in which Muslims have a significant presence.

It is also aimed at supporting talented musicians and music educators working to preserve, transmit, and further develop their musical heritage in contemporary forms.

The award in the performance category went to Egyptian singer Mustafa Said. Mustafa is also a composer, musicologist, and music teacher who, from an early age, learnt to read and write music in Braille.
Admin

Post by Admin »

http://www.iran-daily.com/News/240807.html?bcmt=1

April 01, 2019

Aga Khan Int’l Foundation grants honorary award to Iranian singer

The honorary award of music has been granted by Aga Khan International Foundation to Iranian acclaimed singer Mohammad-Reza Shajarian at Gulbenkian Foundation in Lisbon.

During the meeting which was held with the attendance of Portuguese President Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa and Minister of Culture Graça Fonseca, Mozhgan Shajarian, who is the daughter of Mohammad-Reza Shajarian received the award.

Addressing the meeting, Rebelo de Sousa described music as a suitable way for humane globalization and maintaining relations among people and civilizations, IRNA reported.

The Aga Khan Music Awards were created to recognize and support exceptional talent, creativity, promise, and enterprise in music performance, creation, education, preservation, and revitalization in societies across the world in which Muslims have a significant presence.

Shajarian’s award has been the most prestigious award of Aga Khan Foundation which is granted to the most influential music figures in the world.

The event was participated by 14 artists among whom were Shahou Andalibi in Ney, Arash Mohafez in Santoor and Reza Parviz Zadeh in Kamancheh.

Mohammad-Reza Shajarian is an internationally and critically acclaimed Iranian classical singer, composer and master of Persian traditional music.

He has been called 'Iran's greatest living maestro of Persian classical music.' Shajarian is also known for his skills in Persian calligraphy, and humanitarian activities.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

2019 0330 AKMA concert with Homayoun Sakhi

Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN)
Published on Apr 2, 2019

Rangin Kaman composed by Homayoun Sakhi. Concert featuring Gulbenkian Orchestra, conductor Pedro Neves, and Homayoun Sakhi, Afgan rubab; Abbos Kosimov, doira, qayraq; Siar Hashimi, tabla.

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnJ4cTqErJI

2019 0330 AKMA concert with Sirojiddin Juraev

Published on Apr 2, 2019
Suite for Dutar and Orchestra composed and arranged by Sirojiddin Juraev. Concert featuring Gulbenkian Orchestra, conductor Pedro Neves.

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Lq5HFG ... rce=Direct

2019 0330 AKMA concert with Feras Charestan

Published on Apr 2, 2019
Samai composed by Feras Charestan. Concert featuring Gulbenkian Orchestra, conductor Pedro Neves.

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqIbGc-SNns

2019 0330 AKMA concert in Lisbon

Published on Apr 2, 2019
Tashkent composed by Basel Rajoub. Concert featuring Gulbenkian Orchestra, conductor Pedro Neves, and master Musicians of the Aga Khan Music Initiative.

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I08okANR2OM

2019 0330 AKMA concert with Basel Rajoub

Published on Apr 2, 2019
Golden waves composed by Basel Rajoub. Concert featuring Gulbenkian Orchestra, conductor Pedro Neves and Basel Rajoub, saxophone.

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppSOMRFQlRA
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

theartsdesk in Lisbon: Aga Khan Music Awards

A thrilling celebration of music from the Islamic world

The inaugural Aga Khan Music Awards, a three-day event held last weekend in Lisbon, celebrated nearly 20 years of wide-ranging work dedicated to the preservation of ancient and threatened cultures, an impressive programme of educational initiatives, and the encouragement of musical exchange and experiment in the Middle East, Asia and Africa.

These awards are far removed from the world of the Eurovision Song Contest, the Grammys, MOBOs or other well-spun and marketed events: the notion of excellence, which lies at the heart of the Aga Khan Music Initiative, is connected to ideas and practices associated with social inclusion, identity and spirituality, with music and culture seen as integral parts of a wider notion of economic and social development. The Aga Khan, leader of the Shia Muslim Ismaili community, is very much involved, as is his brother Prince Amyn, and their shared vision and generosity inspire and make possible the many projects whose expressive vigour was evident in Lisbon the past weekend.

More...
https://theartsdesk.com/new-music/thear ... sic-awards
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

2019 0330 Abeer Nehme - AKMA Performance Finalist

Published on Apr 3, 2019

Abeer Nehme is a Lebanese singer, composer, and musicologist known as “The All-Styles Specialist” for her ability to perform diverse repertoires ranging from liturgical music to traditional Middle Eastern music and contemporary Western music.

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYB9_XdZFtg

2019 0331 Mohammad Reza Sharjarian - Patron's Award

Published on Apr 3, 2019

Both within Iran and worldwide, Mohammad Reza Shajarian is widely considered the foremost living exponent of Persian classical music (dastgah).

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ1k_PWLWNY

2019 0331 Gurminj Museum of Musical Instruments - AKMA Laureate

Published on Apr 3, 2019

The Gurminj Museum of Musical Instruments was established in 1990 by renowned Tajik actor and musician Gurminj Zavkibekov (1929-2003) to showcase an extensive private collection of musical instruments from his native Badakhshan.

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdKdOqHCE9A

2019 0331 Farhod Halimov - AKMA Laureate

Published on Apr 3, 2019

Farhod Halimov is a singer, ghijak (spike fiddle) player, tanbur (long-necked lute) player, and composer of Tajik descent who performs music from the maqom tradition of Samarkand and Bukhara.

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0-AzJ7gFpQ

20190 331 Franghiz Alizadeh - AKMA Laureate

Published on Apr 3, 2019

Azerbaijani composer and pianist Franghiz AliZadeh has produced a prolific body of classical concert music that draws inspiration from Azerbaijan’s venerable musical and literary traditions.

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s9FVYSiwcY

2019 0331 Oumou Sangaré - AKMA Laureate

Published on Apr 3, 2019

Oumou Sangaré is a celebrated Malian singer-songwriter widely known as “The Songbird of Wassoulou.”

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nayt_QZCWbs

2019 0331 Dariush Talai - AKMA Laureate

Published on Apr 3, 2019

Dariush Talai is an Iranian tar and setar player, musicologist, composer, and educator who has become internationally recognised for his many contributions to the world of Persian art music.

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbGPd3bdZEk

2019 0331 Baddia Bouhrizi - AKMA Laureate

Badiaa Bouhrizi, also known by her stage name Neysatu, is a singer-songwriter and composer who represents the alternative music scene in Tunisia.

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z--4DE9sy-Y

2019 0331 Ballake Sissoko - AKMA Laureate

Published on Apr 3, 2019

Ballake Sissoko is a Malian kora player and composer who is considered to be one of the most important musicians of his generation.

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTzlFlG86qA

2019 0330 Ejaz Sher Ali Khan - AKMA Performance Finalist

Published on Apr 3, 2019

Ejaz Sher Ali Khan is a Pakistani singer and harmonium player who takes an innovative approach to qawwali while honouring the roots of its tradition.

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DH8_1x1K-jk

2019 0330 Asin Khan Langa - AKMA Performance Finalist

Published on Apr 3, 2019

Asin Khan Langa is a vocalist and sarangi player who performs folk music and Sufi poetry sung to both traditional and improvised accompaniment.

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GxIYHwSqA4

2019 0330 Nasim Siabishahrivar - AKMA Performance Finalist

Published on Apr 3, 2019

Nasim Siabishahrivar is an Iranian singer who specialises in the vocal repertoire of Persian classical music.

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ-4b8Do8n0

2019 0330 Mohamad Osman - AKMA Performance Finalist

Published on Apr 3, 2019

Mohamad Osman is a multi-instrumentalist, composer, arranger, and music teacher from Syria. Born in Jarabulus in 1975, he began his musical studies playing the buzuq (lute) during his early childhood.

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFyaPTcX0II

2019 0330 Arash Mohafez - AKMA Performance Finalist

Published on Apr 3, 2019

Arash Mohafez is a musician, ethnomusicologist, and composer whose work has established him at the forefront of the Iranian neoclassical movement.

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziRlMgUdUos

2019 0330 Ahmad Al Khatib - AKMA Performance Finalist

Published on Apr 3, 2019

Ahmad Al Khatib began learning the oud at an early age with Palestinian master musician Ahmad Abdel Qasem, and later studied musicology and Western classical cello at Yarmouk University in Jordan, from which he graduated with honours in 1997.

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK2y2mF6HpQ

2019 0330 Huda Asfour - AKMA Performance Finalist

Published on Apr 3, 2019

Huda Asfour is a Palestinian oud and qanun player, composer, educator, social entrepreneur, and engineer.

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6kBnfd0hIs

2019 0330 Nai Barghouti - AKAM Performance Finalist

Published on Apr 3, 2019

Nai Barghouti is a Palestinian singer, composer and flute player. At the age of 14, she launched her professional singing career and completed her studies in classical flute performance at the Edward Said National Conservatory of Music in Palestine.

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv8ZnVOxqeQ

2019 0330 Reza Parvizade - AKMA Performance Finalist

Published on Apr 3, 2019

Reza Parvizade is a kamancheh player from Lorestan, Iran. He began his music training playing the kamancheh in the Lori tradition, and later studied the Persian classical dastgah system.

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qSW_gEmy1Y

2019 0331 Oumou Sangaré and Ballake Sissoko - AKMA Special performance

Published on Apr 3, 2019

AKMA concert in Lisbon, Portugal.

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmsxUMUsH9Q

2019 0330 Burak Kaynarca - AKMA Performance Finalist

Published on Apr 3, 2019

Burak Kaynarca is a Turkish oud player and musicologist who specialises in the performance and study of Turkish classical music.

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXYraTRVktY

2019 0330 Sougata Roy Chowdhury - AKMA Performance Finalist

Published on Apr 3, 2019

Sougata Roy Chowdhury is a sarod player who has been recognised as one of the most talented up-and-coming Hindustani classical musicians of his generation.

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D41Rf3Z94sE

2019 0331 Mustafa Said - AKMA Laureate

ga Khan Development Network (AKDN)
Published on Apr 3, 2019

Mustafa Said is an Egyptian oud player, singer, composer, musicologist, and music teacher. Born and raised in Cairo, Said was introduced to music as a child and learned to read and write music in Braille at an early age.

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRKqEdJgS_I

Admin

Post by Admin »

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ente ... 54891.html

Aga Khan Music Awards, Gulbenkian Foundation, Lisbon review: Impeccably organised and presented

The awards draw on the inspirational work of the Aga Khan Music Initiative, which was originally created to revive the traditional musics of Central Asia

The Independent Culture
Badiaa Bouhrizi, laureate in the domain of Social Inclusion, performing at the gala concert on 31 March
Badiaa Bouhrizi, laureate in the domain of Social Inclusion, performing at the gala concert on 31 March ( AKDN / Bruno Colaço )

We all know that music is political, but in Lisbon this week it’s asserting that truth in a uniquely benign way, thanks to a visionary scheme headed by the Aga Khan. Simultaneously accepting Portuguese citizenship – thus making a significant political point – this quietly charismatic leader of the world-wide Ismaili community is also launching a biennial series of music awards. Impeccably organised and presented, they are bringing a much-needed injection of integrity to the commercially contaminated realm of “world-music”.

They are open to all musicians from countries with a significant Muslim population, but no religious groups are excluded. As the Aga Khan rightly observes, a propos the musical prohibition often claimed to exist in the Qur’an: “’Muslim’ and ‘music’ are words not often associated together in the public mind, but they should be.”

The awards draw on the inspirational work of the Aga Khan Music Initiative, which was originally created to revive the traditional musics of Central Asia, but which now covers a huge swathe of the globe stretching from Mali and Morocco to Xinjiang and Indonesia. While the top award is for performing excellence, subsidiary awards are made for categories of no less importance, from composition and education to social inclusion and the revitalisation of dying traditions. As Ara Guzelimian, provost of the Juilliard School in New York – and a member of the jury –nicely puts it: “I now simply feel better about the world, and if that’s a gift that the awards give us, then there can be no better gift.”

The inaugural winner of the performance award turns out to be a remarkable young Egyptian named Mustafa Said. Blind from birth, he’s carved out a distinguished career as a teacher and song-collector as well as a singer self-accompanied on the oud. His voice may not be conventionally “beautiful”, but it has a clarity and expressiveness that speaks directly to the heart.

But in the course of nine hours of competitive music-making, other finalists – from Palestine, Iran, Turkey, and the Central Asian ‘Stans’ – prove no less remarkable. The Turkish oud player Burak Kaynarca, whose multifarious other activities include directing choirs, chamber groups and musicological research, lets us savour the full range of his instrument’s palette with a series of compelling improvisations. The singer and sarangi player Asin Khan Langa, from a remote village in Rajasthan, could have charmed the birds off the trees with his entertaining Sufi songs, while the Palestinian oud player Ahmad Al Khatib brings a whiff of both English lute-playing and Segovia to his elegant improvisations.

Nasim Siabishahrivar’s melismatic singing captures the essence of the Persian classical style, while two instrumentalists use the generous length of their time-slots to take us on fascinating musical journeys. No praise is too high for Shahou Andalibi’s lovely interweaving of song into his performance on the neyflute, nor for Reza Parvizade’s spellbinding monologue on the kamancheh spike-fiddle. Those wanting to listen to these events can find them on the AKDN YouTube channel.
Admin

Post by Admin »

https://www.theeastafrican.co.ke/magazi ... index.html

In Summary

The final concert brought together 10 laureates, six categories and 13 countries from Asia, Africa, the Middle East, Europe and North America in a showcase for diversity and pluralism through music.

Aga Khan Music Awards 2019

Saturday April 6 2019

By The EastAfrican

The Aga Khan Music Awards ended in Lisbon, Portugal, on Sunday with winners taking home $500,000 in prizes.

The final concert brought together 10 laureates, six categories and 13 countries from Asia, Africa, the Middle East, Europe and North America in a showcase for diversity and pluralism through music.

A Patron’s Award was also conferred. The awards were presented by the Aga Khan, President of the Portuguese Republic Prof Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa, and Prince Amyn Aga Khan.

The music awards were established by the Aga Khan to recognise exceptional creativity, promise and enterprise in musical performance, creation, education, preservation and revitalisation in societies across the world in which Muslims have a significant presence.

Finalists included Ahmad Al Khatib, oud (Palestine); Shahou Andalibi, Persian ney (Iran); Nai Barghouti, vocal and flute (Palestine); Huda Asfour, oud and qanun (Palestine); Sougata Roy Chowdhury, sarod (India); Burak Kaynarca, oud (Turkey); Asin Khan Langa, vocal and sarangi (India); Ejaz Sher Ali Khan, vocal and harmonium (Pakistan); Arash Mohafez, santur (Iran); Abeer Nehme, vocal (Lebanon); Reza Parvizade, kamancheh (Iran); Mohamad Osman, oud and buzuq (Syria); Mustafa Said, oud (Egypt); and Nasim Siabishahrivar, vocal (Iran).

In the category of Social Inclusion, the award went to Badiaa Bouhrizi, a singer-songwriter and composer from Tunisia, who has used her musical talent to promote social justice and the values of pluralism and democracy.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Oumou Sangare: 'I'm a guardian of traditional African music'

Oumou Sangare was among stars honoured at the Aga Khan Music awards in Portugal.

The awards, held in Portugal this year, celebrate Muslim musical heritage.

Some of Africa's top artists, from Oumou Sangare to Ballake Sissoko were recognised for their work at the ceremony which was held in Lisbon, Portugal.

Video journalist: Dan Damon

Video:

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-afric ... 25c8c5fc8d
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Video: Aga Khan Quote of the week

31 March 2019 - Speech by His Highness the Aga Khan at the Aga Khan Music Awards prize-giving ceremony at the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation, Lisbon, Portugal. Full speech

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWUdSGBOYF0

31 March 2019 - Remarks by President of Portugal at AKMA prize-giving ceremony in Lisbon.

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2ByIwK7gs8
Admin

Post by Admin »

https://asiasociety.org/texas/events/art-afghan-rubab

The Art of the Afghan Rubab
In partnership with the Aga Khan Music Initiative and His Highness the Aga Khan Council for the United States

Event Details:

Date: Fri 11 Oct 2019

Time: 8 - 9:30 p.m.

1370 Southmore Boulevard

Houston, Texas 77004

Aga Khan Master Musicians
Homayoun Sakhi, Afghan rubab
Abbos Kosimov, frame drum

Special Guest
Nitin Mitta, tabla

The artistry of Homayoun Sakhi demonstrates how an imaginative musician working with a traditional musical idiom can enrich and expand its expressive power while respecting a taste and sensibility passed down from master musicians of the past. Both the Afghan rubab and its music are very much hybrid creations. The rubab itself is of Central Asian origin — one of a family of double-chambered lutes that includes, among others, the Iranian tar, Tibetan danyen, and Pamiri rubab. Homayoun Sakhi's musical style and repertoire, while rooted in the raga tradition of North India, also display strong stylistic links to Iran and Central Asia. These multicultural influences are highlighted by the co-presence in this evening's concert of two percussion instruments: the Uzbek-Tajik frame drum (doira) and the North Indian tabla — both played by master musicians who are Homayoun Sakhi's peers in their dazzling virtuosity and exuberant musical imagination.
About Homayoun Sakhi

Homayoun Sakhi is a master performer on Afghan rubab as well as a composer who brings together Eastern and Western musical languages and instruments. Born in Kabul into one of Afghanistan’s leading musical families, Sakhi is the heir to a musical lineage that began in the 1860s, when the ruler of Kabul, Amir Sher Ali Khan, brought classically trained musicians from India to perform at his court. Sakhi performs Afghan folk and popular music as well as North Indian classical music (raga). His composer credits include “Rainbow,” for Afghan rubab, Indian and Central Asian percussion, and string quartet.
About Abbos Kosimov

Abbos Kosimov was born in Tashkent, Uzbekistan, into a musical family. A disciple of the honored Uzbek doira player Tuychi Inogomov and winner of the Competition of Percussion Instruments of Central Asia and Kazakhstan, Kosimov established his own doira school in 1994 and his ensemble, “Abbos,” in 1998. Kosimov performs internationally with Zakir Hussain and Randy Gloss’s percussion group Hand’s OnSemble, recorded with Stevie Wonder, and has also composed music for percussion ensemble.
About Nitin Mitta

Nitin Mitta was born and raised in Hyderabad, India. He studied tabla with Pandit G. Satyanarayana and later with Pandit Arvind Mulgaonkar, both of whom trace their musical lineage to the venerable Farrukhabad gharana of tabla. Nittin Mitta regularly performs with India’s leading Hindustani classical musicians and has also collaborated extensively with musicians who are seeking points of connection between Hindustani music and other musical realms, including jazz pianist and composer Vijay Iyer and vocalist Kiran Ahluwalia.

About The Aga Khan Master Musicians

The Aga Khan Master Musicians create music inspired by their own deep roots in the cultures of the Middle East and Mediterranean Basin, South Asia, Central Asia, and China. Brought together by the Aga Khan Music Initiative to explore how musical innovation can contribute to the revitalization of cultural heritage, the Master Musicians are venerated performers and composer-arrangers who appear on the world’s most prestigious stages while also serving as preeminent teachers, mentors, and curators. Each of these exceptional artists has achieved mastery within a rigorous musical tradition defined by canonical styles, repertoires, pedagogy, and performance techniques. At the same time, they share a belief that tradition can serve as an invaluable compass for an artistic search into new forms of creativity inspired, but not constrained, by the past. This search has led to a strikingly original body of work composed, arranged, and performed by the Master Musicians, often joined by distinguished guests. Recent concerts have featured Kronos Quartet, Malian ngoni virtuoso Bassekou Kouyaté, and the Lisbon-based Gulbenkian Orchestra.
About The Aga Khan Music Initiative

The Aga Khan Music Initiative is an interregional music and arts education program with worldwide performance, outreach, mentoring, and artistic production activities. Launched to support talented musicians and music educators working to preserve, transmit and further develop their musical heritage in contemporary forms, the Music Initiative began its work in Central Asia, subsequently expanding its cultural development activities to include artistic communities and audiences in the Middle East, North Africa and South Asia. The Initiative promotes the revitalization of cultural heritage both as a source of livelihood for musicians and as a means to strengthen pluralism in nations where it is challenged by social, political, and economic constraints.

Performing Arts and Culture programs are presented by Wells Fargo. Major support for Performing Arts programs comes from Nancy C. Allen, Ellen Gritz and Milton Rosenau, the City of Houston through Houston Arts Alliance, and the Anchorage Foundation. Generous funding also provided by AARP, The Clayton Fund, Miller Theatre Advisory Board, New England Foundation for the Arts. Additional support provided by the Wortham Foundation, the Texas Commission on the Arts, and through contributions from the Friends of Asia Society, a dedicated group of individuals and organizations committed to bringing exceptional programming and exhibitions to Asia Society Texas Center. Presented in partnership with the Aga Khan Music Initiative and His Highness the Aga Khan Council for the United States.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Video Quote: The Role of Music Awards to Promote Pluralist Agenda

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEKrbi40UpY