NANDI

Discussion on R&R from all regions
Admin

NANDI

Post by Admin »

This is an old topic of 2003 erased by mistake and restored back.

Concept of NANDI ?

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2003 04:08 am

Here are some points from a read-out in a J.K. in Ontario.

The article talks about Pir ji Mani, Naadi, Juro, milk, Awal surfo etc.

Naandi is also one of the ways of presenting Mahemani to Hazar Imam. “Naandi” – with (a nasal sound) according to Sanskrit dictionary means foods to be offered to Gods, and “Naadi” (without the nasal sound) means to auction loudly.

When Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.) migrated from Mecca to Medina, people in Medina invited the Prophet to their homes for eating and resting. They wanted Nabi Mohammed to become their “Mehmaan”- guest. There were so many requests that it was not possible to accommodate everyone. The Holy Prophet then asked all those who wanted to do “Mahemaani” should bring whatever they wanted to give to the Prophet, to the mosque.

It is reported that the Holy Prophet would then auction the items and offer them to the highest bidder. Anas bin Malik reports that once a bowl and a plate were offered to the Holy Prophet. He took these in his hand and asked, "who will buy these?" A person replied, "I will buy them for one Dirham". The Holy Prophet then asked, "who will pay more than one Dirham?". Another person said, "I will pay two Dirhams". The Holy Prophet called out, "two Dirhams". When there was no further bidding the Holy Prophet sold the items to the last bidder. Thus the practice of auctioning away excess offerings to the Holy Prophet started during his lifetime . The proceeds from this were used for “Baitul Maal”

Today the same practice still continues. Every day, after the morning and evening prayers are concluded, the food or other items that are offered to the Imam, are auctioned off

kmaherali

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2005 10:46 am Post subject: Rumi and Mehmani Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP of poster

The following anecdote from the life of Mowlana Rumi illustrates that a food offering made with correct intent and faith reaches the recipient or serve its intended purpose.

A certain rich man and his wife were disciples of Rumi. The man went to hajj, and while he was gone, the wife made a delicious meal and sent it in a distinctive china bowl to Jelaluddin, asking that as he ate of it to please remember her husband with a blessing. Rumi and his disciples feasted on the food. They ate all of it, and yet the bowl remained full. Rumi said, "Oh, he must have some too." He took the dish to the terraced roof and came back empty-handed. When asked what he'd done with the food, he replied. "I gave the bowl to her husband, since it belongs to him." No one knew what he meant, but in due time the pilgrims returned and the same piece of china was found in the merchant's baggage. "How did you get this?" the wife asked. "Ah! I was eating dinner with others, when an arm projected through the tent-flap, placed this bowl full of beautiful food before me, then withdrew. I sent servants to learn who had done this, but no one could be found." The two went to Rumi weeping for joy at the genrosity shown them. "The whole series of events rose from your love and your trust." replied Rumi. "God has merely used my hand as an instrument to make them more manifest."
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Another angle to view Mehmani as an expression of gratitude...

Food is our most fundamental material blessing.
Use each meal as an opportunity to feel gratitude for all the blessings of this life.

I give thanks for the blessings of this food
as a symbol of my gratitude
for all the manifold blessings of this life.

- Jonathan Lockwood Huie

It is the common, everyday blessings of our common everyday lives
for which we should be particularly grateful.
They are the things that fill our lives with comfort and our hearts with gladness --
just the pure air to breathe and the strength to breath it;
just warmth and shelter and home folks;
just plain food that gives us strength; bright sunshine on a cold day;
and a cool breeze when the day is warm.
- Laura Ingalls Wilder
mahebubchatur

Article on Nandi

Post by mahebubchatur »

The following explains Nandi. It is also important to know that the Mukhi has authority and does give Food to those in need and also that all the money raised goes back to help those in most need in the community and others through the constitutional entities of the community. A part of the values and ethics of our faith include sharing of food & being generous to our family Jamat neighbours & community

https://ask.ismailignosis.com/article/6 ... s-do-nandi

Link to the Ismaili constitution & entities

http://www.ismaili.net/html/modules.php ... 8400#68400

A related Farman 1994- CP/JCD: Interview

Aga Khan said

" I am proud of two things. The first is the creation, in a variety of countries, of institutions of the community which possess real autonomy, which do not depend on the intervention, nor the thinking, nor the support of the Imam. "

“.. in effect, I would say easily 98% of those funds, and in fact at times much more than 98%, in fact probably of the order of 150%, goes back to the community"
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

There is a related thread:

ruhani mehmani

http://www.ismaili.net/html/modules.php ... highlight=
kmaherali

Anecdote about Mehmani

Post by kmaherali »

The following is the anecdote from Mumtaz Tajdin's 225anecdotes http://ismaili.net/source/books/225anecdotes.pdf (page 111) indicating that Mowla indeed consumes the Mehmani sent to Jamat Khana with love and devotion.

(19) Mawlana Hazar Imam granted didar to the Canadian jamat in Ottawa on 28th November, 1978. The Ismailis were happy on that occasion, and one person cooked samosa (a small three cornered pastry of minced meat) at home and quickly sent three samosa in the Jamatkhana for the Imam, who liked to eat it. He implored, “Mawla, you must eat it today.”

After the end of the didar program, the Ismaili leaders gave a banquet to the Imam on that night, in which the dish of samosa was included significantly with other dishes. The Imam ate, but didn’t touch samosa. When asked reason, the Imam said, “I have today eaten three samosa, which was sent to me few hours ago by my spiritual child. This is enough.”