Suriya Bibi first ever elected Ismaili woman MPA from Chitral

Biographies, Role Models etc...
Admin

Suriya Bibi first ever elected Ismaili woman MPA from Chitral

Post by Admin »

https://en.wenews.pk/breaking-barriers- ... elections/

Suriya Bibi Becomes First Woman to Secure Chitral Seat in KP Elections
Fri Feb 09 2024

Breaking Barriers: Suriya Bibi Becomes First Woman to Secure Chitral Seat in KP Elections

PESHAWAR: Times are changing swiftly in the traditionally conservative region as, for the first time in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa’s (KP) history, a woman contested and won an election in Chitral district.

PTI-backed independent candidate Suriya Bibi has achieved a historic victory by becoming the first woman to secure the PK-01 seat from Chitral, garnering 18,914 votes. She emerged victories over JUI-F’s Shakeel Ahmad, as per the provisional results released by the electoral body ECP.

In an earlier conversation with private media, Bibi expressed that her decision to enter politics stemmed from the “marginalized status of women in the remote and underdeveloped regions of Pakistan, particularly in my own constituency of Chitral.”

“Upon careful consideration of the prevalent issues in my area, I realized the persistent neglect and discouragement faced by women in contributing to societal development for decades,” she added.

MORE: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... xsaqnxZ43i
swamidada

Re: Suriya Bibi first ever elected Ismaili woman MPA from Chitral

Post by swamidada »

Shireen Mazari highlights ‘selectivity’ on congratulating PTI-backed Suraiya Bibi
Former human rights minister has highlighted “selectivity from those talking about women empowerment”, referring to the “very few” congratulatory messages on the election of Suraiya Bibi as the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Assembly deputy speaker.

In a post on X, Mazari said, “Suraiya Bibi won [a] general provincial seat from Chitral — not from any mafia dynasty, but a social worker who defeated a JUI candidate and now elected as deputy speaker KP assembly.”

“Was looking for congratulatory messages from women especially but sadly very few forthcoming! Such selectivity from those talking about women empowerment,” the former PTI leader added.