DOES ANIMAL COMMITS MASS SUICIDE?

Current issues, news and ethics
agakhani

DOES ANIMAL COMMITS MASS SUICIDE?

Post by agakhani »

I was reading an article in one science magazine and I shocked to read that:
The lemmings animals from Norway commits mass suicide and jump in sea all together? unfortunately that magazine does not have clear answer or author had not much information about Lemmings?
But question arises in my mind after reading that article : who encourages them to commit suicide! if it a really suicide? does Lemmings have mind like humans being?
In my opinion only human being commit suicides using their mind; when some one get depressed, a sudden death of relatives, a big loss in business e.t.c but an animal commit suicide!!???
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

There is a Ginan: BEE(N)DRAA RE VAN MAA(N) SUKH CHARE - BY PEER SADARDEEN which alludes to a cow and it's calf going happily to a lion to give up their lives!

The Ginan can be accessed at:

http://ismaili.net/heritage/node/4194

There is an article about a dog saving it's owner by giving up it's own life. The artcile can be accessed at:

http://www.ismaili.net/html/modules.php ... 25&start=0
agakhani

Post by agakhani »

Thanks I read that ginan many time and I also knows the Ruhani meaning of this ginan.
My question was, when animal does not have mind ( thinking ability or thinking power ) then how they can commit suicide?
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

agakhani wrote:Thanks I read that ginan many time and I also knows the Ruhani meaning of this ginan.
My question was, when animal does not have mind ( thinking ability or thinking power ) then how they can commit suicide?
The Ginan states:

uttho uttho see(n)halaa jee maa(n)s meraa bharakho,
peechhe bharakho moree maaee.....................................10

'Get up, get up, sir lion, and eat my flesh. Afterwards eat my mother.'

etalee re sudh budh konne tam ne deedhee,
kenne te tame ne bodhaveeyaa.....................................11

'Who has given you such awareness and understanding? Who has instructed you?'

ettalee re sudh budh cha(n)de suraj deedhee,
peer sadar deene bodhayaa........................................12

'The moon and the sun have given me such awareness and understanding. Peer Sadardeen has instructed me.'

The awareness and understanding is about giving up it's life.
agakhani

Post by agakhani »

Thanks again Kbhai, I know that ginan is an allegorical ginan and it has esoteric meaning. plus in that ginan there are only two animals involved a cow and her calf! but here I am talking about the lemmings animals who commit suicide thousand and thousand all together and jump in a sea at a same time of a specific time of the year!!!
Why they gather all together? why they jump in a sea all together and end their lives? who instructs them to get together at a specific time of a year on a hill? who instruct them to jump in a sea and tell them to give up their lives? is there any specific reason to jump in a sea all together?.
I will request you first google that article and read it and find the mass suicidal picture if you can and answer me.
ismaili103

Post by ismaili103 »

agakhani

Post by agakhani »

Brother it is not Myth, it is true thing! it is still happening in Norway and it has been seen with their naked eyes by many.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

I googled and found the article below.

Do Lemmings Really Run Off Cliffs to Their Death?

http://mentalfloss.com/article/50957/do ... heir-death

The article states:

It turns out that there is no proof that an assemblage of wild lemmings would actually drive themselves off of a cliff at all, but rather the myth was perpetuated by a 1958 Disney documentary called White Wilderness, in which the filmmakers manually ran a pack of lemmings off of a cliff to make for good television. The staged suicide turned out to be a critical success, as the movie went on to win the Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature. See a clip of the film below.

There is a video clip as well which you can watch to confirm that it is a myth.
agakhani

Post by agakhani »

It is surprise me that, to make their movie hit and to win Academy Award of the best documentary, photographers had shoot the fake video on lemmings!!.