Chandrat Majalis - Congregation

Discussion on R&R from all regions
mahebubchatur

Chandrat Majalis - Congregation

Post by mahebubchatur »

Chandrat means night of the new moon. (Literally Night of the moon). Imams of Ismaili Muslims established every month on this night additional congregational Ibadat (Zikhr-prayers), after the two evening regular prayers (Salat).

This congregation called a Chandrat Majalis which was first established for Ismaili Muslims of the Khoja tradition in 1894 by Imam Mawlana Sultan Mohammed Shah

Ismailis also have many other congregational and individual, Malajlis's for additional Ibadat - prayers & Zikhr (remembrance of Allah)

In the month of Ramadan, the night of the full moon, marks the end of the month of Fasting and the start of the festival of Eid ul Fitr.
The night of the full moon is the end and it is also a beginning of a new cycle and therefore of renewal and of forgiveness, remembrance and a renewed beginning.

To understand the importance of Zikhr-remembrance the following is some of what Allah says in the Quran. Remembrance of Allah includes remembrance of what Allah says in the Quran and the continuity of interpretation & guidance by Prophet Mohammed PBUH and thereafter by Imams.

"Only in the remembrance of Allah (swt) will your heart find peace"
Quran (Surah 13: Verse 28)

O you who have faith! Remember Allah with frequent remembrance, and glorify Him morning and evening”. (33:41-42)

“Remember Me and I will remember you, and thank Me, and do not be ungrateful to Me”. (Quran 2:152)

"Remember Allah abundantly, in order that you become successful"
Quran (Surah 8: Verse 45)

"Those men and women who engage much in Allah's praise. for them Allah has prepared forgiveness and a Great Reward"
Quran (Surah 33: Verse 35)

"They are the most wise who remember Allah, standing sitting and lying down"
Quran (Surah 4: Verse 190)

"The rememebrence of Allah (swt) is the greatest (deed)"
Quran (Surah 29: Verse 45)

“We sent down in the Quran that which is a cure and mercy for the faithful”. (17:82)
Last edited by mahebubchatur on Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:56 am, edited 4 times in total.
mahebubchatur

Post by mahebubchatur »

When chandrat falls on a Friday it is called a Sukarwari beej, Mubarak.

The following are related Farmans, Ginans and information will be helpful to those interested in reading & understanding.

Shukrawaari beej - A Friday Chandrat

Imams and Pirs say we need to observe fast of shuravaaree beej. A Farman ( Guidance), was given by Pir Hassan Kabeerdeen. Today the Imam is also a Pir.

Imam and our Pirs have said that Fasting alone is not enough. All our religious obligations, and additional ibadat - prayers and remembrance are also necessary to be performed during sukarvari Beeej.

Fasting has been prescribed in all religions from the time of creation including, Kaljug Friday Shukrawaari beej.

Pir Shamsh - Ginan

Farman kari Narji Boliya-- he; prescribed a fasting once a year and on the date he pased away. This was to seek forgiveness for failing the test of Iman requested by Imam Kassimshah. (The story of blind man offering sacrifice of his flesh for Pir Shamsh.). This was on Thursday.

In Saloko naano -Pir Sadardeen writes

Satguru Kahere- Hetej Khan maahenthi. ; te neepanaa, aaj chakfad vella maanhe jaan SHUKRAWAARI BEEJ NU FARMAN CHE , aaj pir hassan kabirdeen tenu naam re..

Next Shukrawaari beej

je koi kal maanhe thaapshe , ane thaapshe pure wiswaas
te jivane mugtij thaayshe, ane sahi thaashe ammaaro deedar.

fasting alone is not enough but religios obligation and batuni ibadat are necessary

Fast will be on the Friday of new moon (32) Prayer will be observed.

BEEJ

The tradition of fasting has been observed by momins since the time of Imam Adam.

The only difference was that the day was not particularly a "friday".

Ginans are Farmans and The Ginan of Pir Hasan Kabirdeen called "Hasnapuri" says,

"Jirebhai pehla karta jugmanhe vrat ekadashi mangalwari je jeev karta, te jiv avgatya nahi hota ho jirebhaire"(Verse-12)
Vrat -Rojo, Avgatya-in miserable condition, mangalwar-Tuesday, Ekadashi-eleventh day

Meaning: O brother in the first jug(Karta jug) the souls that have observed the fast on the 11th day of the month falling on a tuesday will not be in a miserable state.

"Jirebhai bije treta jug manhe vrat chaturdasi ditvari je jeev karta, te jeev avgatya nahi hota ho jirebhai"(Verse-51)

chaturdasi-14th day of the month, ditvari-sunday
O brother in the second jug (treta jug) the souls that have observed the fast on the 14th day of the month falling on a sunday will not be miserable.

"Jirebhai trije duapur jug manhe vrat amas somvari je jeev karta, te jeev avgatya nahi hota ho jirebhai"(verse-121)

somvar-Monday, amas- the day before new moon cycle begins
O brother in the third jug the souls that have observed the fast on the last day of the month(amas) falling on a monday will not be miserable.

"Jirebhai aaj kaljug manhe vrat beej shukravari je jeev karta, te jeev avgatya nahi hota ho jirebhai" (verse- 144)

Beej-second day of the month(Day after the new moon)

O brother in this kaljug the souls that observe the fast on the second day of the month falling on a friday will not be in a miserable state.

So clearly the ginan states that the tradition of fasting has been there since the creation.

The fasting here is also symbolic and does not mean simply abstaining from food

Our ismaili tradtion is an essoteric tradition so along with the shukravari beej 2-3 times a year, we should always observe the "batuni fast" as Mowla Sultan mohammad Shah says in Kalam-e-Imam-Mubin,
Farman# 128 pg. 292 Kalam –E-Imam-E-Mubin

“ Prophet Mohamad has commanded you to fast. Fasting is for physical discipline. It is necessary to be discreet, so others don’t criticise. It is compulsory for Hakikatis to be fasting for 360 days of the year. These fasts are as follows:
1) Do not lie
2) Do not cheat
3) Do not backbite
These Hakiki fasts for 360 days are compulsory for Ismailis”

Also the following ginan by pir shams talks about how the tradition of shukravari beej started.

Eji Farman kari Nar-ji boliyaa by Pir Shams

Eji Farman kari Nar-ji boliyaa ,tame saambharo Pir Shams vaat;
tame jaavo aaj jamaat maa,ane parkho teunaa imaan 1

O Pir Shams listen to me, says our Imam(Kassamshah),
You go to the jamats and test their Iman(Faith)

Eji Taare Pir Shams boliyaa,Shaah ji saambharo mori vaat;
tame je farmaavo te maangiye,te mang-sun gat jamaat paas 2

That is when Pir Shams told Imam listen to what I have to say;
I will ask whatever you command me to ask from the jamat.

Eji Kaatthaa te ghav-ni maang-jo rottli,ane maang-jo maannas maas;
je maannas maas aap-se,te paam-se vaikhuntth vaas. 3

(Kaathaa Ghau-The hardest type of wheat grains to grind so making Rotli is the most difficult)
Imam says to the Pir go and ask for the rottli that is made from the kaathaa ghav and the flesh of a man. The one who gives his flesh will attain paradise.

Eji Taare te Pir Shams chaaliyaa,aaveyaa unchh multaan maan;
tiyaan gat jumlaa-ji aavi paay laagaa,Gur ji maango tamaari shikh 4

That is when Pir left for the city of north Multan,
Where the entire jamat welcomed the Pir and prostrated and asked the Pir to tell them his wish..

Eji Sikh sampat hoy tevij aapjo, ane paalo te aapna man;
pann
bhojan karo to aashish daiye, vari dayie te dil aashish 5

Bring whatever you can afford to , but bring with the true intention. And whoever can feed me I shall give them the blessings from my heart.

Eji Taare Pir Shams boliyaa, tame saambhro gat jamaat;
ettlo amaaro niam chhe, pachhe daie dil aashish 6

That is when Pir Shams said Listen to me O jamats;
This(Verse below) is my principle and then I shall bless you…

Eji Kaatthaa te ghauv-ni rottli, paase joiye te maannas maas;
je maannas maas aap se, te paamse vaikhuntth vaas

I will eat the rottli
made from kathaa wheat and have flesh of a man;
He who gives his flesh will attain paradise . 7

Eji Taare jumlaa-ji jaai vaat vichaari, konn manas aapse potaanu maas;
Pir Shams sat chhoddaavse,konn jaaiyse te Pir ne paas 8

That is when the jamat went and thought about who is going to give his own flesh;
Who is going to go to the pir and break his fast.

Eji Pir Shams to tasbhi lai betthaa, saaheb raakh-jo hamaari laaj;
saat divas no rojo raakhio,ane koi na aave Pir ne paas 9

Pir Shams then sits with his tasbih and prays to mowla to save
him from humiliation;
Pir had fasted for seven days and no one had come to him until then.

Eji Ek andho abhiyaagat khaanaa maanhe bettho,te aaveyo Pir ne paas;
sonaa kattaari Gur ji haathe liyo,ane bharkho amaaro maas 10

Then one blind man(guest) comes to the pir and asks to cut off his flesh with a golden sword.

Eji Tame kahiyo to ame bharkheyo,ane dhan ghaddi ne dhan raat;
jo dine tun sirejio, te mottaa tamaaraa bhaag 11

Pir says “you said and I ate”;(Pir accepts his flesh as our faith is the faith of intention) and says to the blind man, glorious was the moment when you were created, you are truly blessed.

Eji Taare Kaasam Shaah aape aaviyaa, aavi maanddiyaa ghatt-paatt;
Noor naa kancholaa haathe aaleyaa, Pir Shams chaaliyaa tene saath 12

Then during the last moments of Pir ‘s life, Imam Kassamshah himself comes and bestows Abesafa(Hauze Kausar) with His own hands and takes the soul of the pir with Him.

Eji Taare Pir Shams boliyaa,Nar ji saambharo mori vaat;
ek andho abhiyaagat huaa,tene aaljo Noor Ilaahi 13

That is when Pir Shams said “O Mowla listen to me”; shower that blind guest with Noor Ilahi(Bol)

Noor naa kancholaa te pi gayo, tene sujeyaa nauv-e nand 14

He drank the Abesafa(Internalised the truth) hence realized all the secrets of all the universes.

Eji Taare Pir Shams boliyaa, andhaa saambharo mori vaat;
tame jaavo gat jamaat maan,have thai chhe haalann velaa 15

Pir Shams then tells the blindman, to go and tell the jamat that it is time for the pir to leave this world.(Death)

Eji Taare te andho abhiyaaghat uthiyo, te aaviyaa gat jamaat maanhe;
have sandhuk lai ne saabdhi karo,Pir ni thaai chhe haalann velaa 16

And the blind man comes to the jamat and tells the jamat to prepare for the Pir”s funeral.

Eji Jumlejiye taare vaat vichaari, andhaa kayaa te sreviyaa Pir;
kaale bhite bhattak-to hato, hamnnaa chaale chhe jamin thi adhar 17

The jamat is thinking what kind of prayers did the blind man perform to receive such blessings that he is walking above the grounds while until yesterday he was banging his head into the walls.

Eji Ame Pir Shams sreviyaa, ane pidhaa Noor Ilaahi;
je maannas maas aap-se,te paamse vaikhunth vaas 18

The blind man says “I followed the Pir’s command( surrendered) hence got to drink the Abesafa (Noor Ilahi)”

Eji Taare jumle jiye vaat vichaari,te aaveaa Pir-ji ne paas;
sonaa kattaari Gur-ji haathe liyo,ane bharkho amaaro maas 19

Then the jamat comes to the Pir with the golden sword and asks the Pir to cut their flesh.

Eji Velaa hati te to vahi gai,konn bharkhe te maannas nu maas;
have sandhuk laine saabdhi karo, Pir ni thai chhe haalann velaa 20

Pir replies, the moment of the test has passed, now who wants to eat the human flesh, now just prepare for my funeral because it is time for me to leave this world

Eji Taare jumelo ji sarve rovaane laagaa,ane ruve te nar ne naar;
ruttho Pir iyaanthi darge jaay she,te futtaa aapnnaa nasib 21

That is when the men and women in the jamat started crying in repentance because they could not earn pir’s happiness and how cursed they were.

Eji Taare Pir Shams boliya, tame saambhlo gat jamaat;
have chelo javaab tamne mukaane desun,have thai chhe haalann velaa22

Pir shams says Listen O jamats, “I will give my last answer in the grave”, it is time for me to leave(from this world)

Eji Vaishakh mahinu ne taarikh satarmi,ane bhirespat-vaar nu din;
te din-e Pir jomu sifaareyo,te sefaariyo unch multaan maany 23

Vaishakh is a gujarati month and the 17th day of that month, and birespatvaar-Friday, is the day when the pir died in the city of Multan.

Eji Satar-soh Pir-naa kaandhi thaayaa,te aaveyaa june mukaam;
janajo laay
mukaa-ne raakheyaa,Pir ji aaljo chhelo javaab 24

1700 people lifted pir’s body and came to the cemetery and laid down the body and asked for the last answer (that pir had promised).

Eji Taare Pir Shams boliyaa,tame saambhro gat jamaat;
baar baar mahine aaj-no rojo raakhjo, to paamso vaikuntth vaas 25

Then pir Shams replied that every twelve months fast on this day then you shall achieve paradise.

Eji Te rojo raakhjo nar ne naar,
ane raakhjo te naanaa baal;
baar mahine rojo raakh jo,
to paamso vaikhuntth vaas 26

Everyone including men, women and children should fast every year to achieve paradise

Eji Pir Shams ginaan-j boliyaa,
tame saambharo gat jamaat;
to amaaro saraap tamne nahi laage, tame paamso vaikhuntth vaas 27

If you fast then you will be saved from my curse and you shall attain paradise

Satgur Slokos

Saloko Motto
http://ismaili.net/granths/salomoto/path176-186.html

satgur kahere: hete-j khaann maa(n)hethee te neepnaa
aaj chak fad vellaa maa(n)he jaann
shukravaaree beej nu farmaan chhe
peer hasan kabeerdeen tenu naam re............173

The True Guide - Imam says: It is entirely for sake of love that He created from the origin. Today in the time of intrigue and inspection. There is a farmaan to fulfil the fast of shuravaaree beej and it was made by Peer Hassan Kabeerdeen.

satgur kahere: nar neera(n)jan to neeraakaar chhe
tenu mowlaa alee chhe naam
satgur sohodev em bhaa(n)khyaa
shaah paschim dishaa maa(n)he tthaam re......174

The True Guide says: The Lord who is unknowable is formless. His name is Mowla Ali. This is what the True Guide Peer Sadardeen foretells, the (physical) abode of the Lord is in the direction of the West.

satgur kahere: satnu vrat shukravaaree beej chhe
ane baar pahor puraa jaann
ardho ahaar karee je raakhshe
te paamshe amar tthaam re..................178

The True Guide says: The true religious observance is the shukravaaree beej. And know it to be for a period of twelve pahors(36 hours). Whoever observes it by maintaining half of sustenance will attain an immortal abode.

satgur kahere: sehej daan-j deejee-e
ane deeje satgur mukhe jaann
vallee gat maa(n)he shukravaaree beej chhoddsho
to paamsho moksh deedaar..................179

The True Guide says: Offer only pure charity and do it in the presence of the True Guide. After that if you break the fast of shukravaaree beej in JamatKhana, you will attain the Vision and salvation.

satgur kahere: chaar murat dharam-j thaape-o
te satgur bhrahmaajee aapoiaap
shukarvaaree beej je thaap she
tene moksh muktino tthaam re..............183

The True Guide says: The Religion was established entirely out of the four forms (basic ingredients of the physical world). And it was by the True Guide, the Creator in a spontaneous manner. Whoever establishes the shukravaaree beej will attain the abode of salvation.

satgur kahere: shukarvaaree beej je kaai kal maa(n)he thaapshe
ane thaapshe pure vishvaas
te jeevne mukti-j thaashe
ane sahee thaase amaaro deedaar re.......184

Pir Sadardin: Magag Re Moman
ejee padamannee ek paau bheerakhaa, ne do paau bheerakhaa hastannee
chetannee trann paau bheerakhaa, ne aayaa aaroge sa(n)khannee

bheerakhaa - apitite
aayaa aaroge - to dine

The perfect woman eats quarter of her apitite(eats to just live), and the soul desiring one eats half of her apitite. The clever and beautiful eats
three quarter of her apitite and the quarrelsome overeats(lives to eat).

Aakdaa maahe ame bhed-j paayaa
http://ismaili.net/ginans/transcription ... 3-048.html

E viraa bhaai aakdaa maahe ame bhed-j paayaa,
bhaai sohi bhed Gure bataayaa ji 1

E viraa bhaai boleyaa bol te Gur Nar saachun,
temaa ek tal aagun na paachun ji 14

E viraa bhaai dennu lennu damddi re daam,
tiyaa sahu sahu ne maathe chhe bhaar ji 15

E viraa bhaai dharam kartaa vilambh na kije,
ane daan sat sun dije ji 16

More at
www.Ismaili.net
shivaathervedi

Post by shivaathervedi »

In the very first line of your topic 'Chaand Raat' you have written," Chaand Raat means night of the FULL MOON." This is not correct. The first night of Chaand Raat is not full moon night. FULL MOON is the 14th night (plus few more hours). In the Farman of MSMS there is no mention of FULL MOON. In Arabic full moon is called BADAR AND STARTING FIRST NIGHT MOON IS CALLED HILAL (CRESCENT).
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

mahebubchatur

Post by mahebubchatur »

The following makes a reference to New Moon. Today both male and female (Panjebhai and Panjeben), attend for additional Ibadat and prayers in the Chandrat Majalis.

FARMAN MUBARAK FOR CHANDRAT MAJLIS
Hazrat Mawlana Dhani Salãmat Sarkãr Imam Sultan Muhammad Shah
Salwãt-o-Allãh alaihi, established the Chandrat Majlis and made the following Farmans:

I am making this Farman for the salvation of all Haqiqati Jamats. All of you Panjebhais should come to pray in the Jamat Khana with unity.
May God forgive you your sins,
May you go purified from this world into heaven,
And may you be blessed with the Didar.

Firstly, be united amongst yourselves; do not slander any Haqiqati and other Faiths. The second thing is do not cast an evil eye on any one and keep away from other people’s property.

If a Panjebhai from amongst you passes away from this temporal world into the next, that is he dies, then have a Ruhani Majlis together with the next Chandrat Majlis.

If you get together and pray for him, God will forgive him his sins, and bless him with heaven, so also will you benefit. I shall only be happy when none of my followers passes away as a sinful person from this world.

I founded the Chandrat Brotherhood. I founded it myself, therefore I make this Farman to those who have enrolled themselves in the Chandrat Brotherhood that always keep on attending the Chandrat Majlis.

Inshã' Allãh, if you all come to Jamat Khana with unity and pray, and in it recite more Salwãts (Allãh-humã Salli alã Muhammadi-wa ãle Muhammad) then Inshã' Allãh,
Your strength will increase day by day,
Your enemies will be vanquished,
Your sins will be forgiven,
And you will go to heaven,
And be blessed with Didar, Inshã' Allãh!

As the Chandrat Majlis is being held once a month, it is very important that my dear spiritual children attend it in large numbers. It is the day of the New Moon and it will generate happiness and spiritual peace. Encouragement should be given to all to enroll and attend the Majlis… All of you members should attend it because there is only one Majlis every month. Every Panjebhai should attend without fail, it is obligatory to attend. I give my blessings to all the members of Chandrat Brotherhood, Khanavadan."
mahebubchatur

Post by mahebubchatur »

"In the very first line of your topic 'Chaand Raat' you have written," Chaand Raat means night of the FULL MOON." This is not correct. The first night of Chaand Raat is not full moon night. FULL MOON is the 14th night (plus few more hours). In the Farman of MSMS there is no mention of FULL MOON. In Arabic full moon is called BADAR AND STARTING FIRST NIGHT MOON IS CALLED HILAL (CRESCENT).[/quote]

Thank you. MSMS refers to the New Moon. The difference is as follows. The new moon follows the night of the full moon. Thank you

A full moon is when you can see the entire face of the moon lighted by the Sun. An astronomical new moon (also called a dark moon) is when the entire moon is between the Earth and the Sun such that the far side is lighted but the side toward us is dark and you can see no moon at all.
mahebubchatur

An article

Post by mahebubchatur »

SHUKARWARI BEEJ
By: Mumtaz Ali Tajddin S.Ali mumtaztajddin@yahoo.com

Beej is one of the most important rites in the Indian tradition of the Ismailis.The Hindi word beej means crescent. When the new moon falls on Friday, the Ismailis keep a fast – a tradition that came down since the period of Pir Shams, known as shukarwari beej (Friday’s crescent). Later, Pir Sadr al-Din and Pir Hasan Kabir al-Din elaborated importance of the beej.
The tradition has it that the Hindus divided the era before Kalapa into four jugs (periods), such as Karta Jug (17,28,000 years), Treta Jug (12,96,000 years), Duapur Jug (8, 64,000 years) and Kal Jug (4,32,000 years). They followed old custom of fasting prevalent in previous jugs. For example, in Karta Jug, the fast of ekadashi (or agiparas) was kept on Monday, the 11th day of the lunar month. In Treta Jug, the fast of chaudash (or chodas) was performed on Tuesday, the 14th of the month; while in the third Duapur Jug, the fast of ama’s (or amavasia) was kept on Wednesday, the 15th of the month. They were not sure about the time of the fasting in Kal Jug. Some people kept rigid and torturing fasting, presuming that the fasting in Kal Jug must fall subsequently on Thursday, the 16th of the lunar month, and concentrated in reading, meditation, prayer and abstained from food both day and night. Sometimes, they stood on single leg, or on their heads inside the water, without food in severe cold or in the scorching sun with their eyes shut tongues stitched. The new convents brought their old customs in Ismaili fold, but Pir Shams abolished them and exhorted to keep a fasting on the crescent falling on Friday, known as beej means crescent. In the fasting of beej, two Islamic aspects (Friday and New Moon) were significantly included to distinguish it from the old customs of the new converts.
The Prophet also kept such type of fasting in the last days of the month of Sha’ban (Bukhari, 30:62, Abu Daud, 14:56) or the ayyam al-bidz that is the 13th, 14th and 15th of the lunar month (Bukhari, 30:60, Masnad, 4:165) or Monday and Thursday (Abu Daud, 14:59) or the Arfat Day, that is the one day before the Eid al-Azha (Tirmizi, 6:45) or the 1st day of Shawal (Abu Daud, 14:57) or Muharram (Abu Daud, 14:55), or the tashriq days, that is 11th, 12th and 13th of Zil Haja (Bukhari, 30:68) or the Ashura, that is 10th Muharram (Bukhari, 30:59). Abdullah bin Masud relates that the Prophet used to fast on the first three days of every month, particularly on Fridays (Tirmizi, 4:258).
The Prophet said, “The best of fasts is that of my brother David” (khayr al-siyam sawm akhi Dawud). When asked, “O’Apostle of God, what kind of fast is that?” He replied, “David used to keep his fast one day and break it on the next day” (Ibid. p. 52). The Prophet fasted alike, but forbade his followers, saying, “I am not as one of you. I pass the night with my Lord, Who gives me food and drink.” It is related that Sahl bin Abdullah

Tustari (d. 283/896) used to eat only once in fifteen days. Abdullah Khafif kept forty interrupted fasts for forty days. The fast of forty days of the Sufis is derived from the fast of Moses (Koran, 7:138). Almost of the similar nature, the fasting of beej was prescribed for 36 hours. Imam Aga Ali Shah visited Kutchh, India in 1878 during the terrible famine, where he shortened its duration to 12 hours from dawn to dusk.
The new moon is a symbol of peace. The word hilal means slim crescent, while the word badr means full moon. The word appears only once in its plural form, ahilla in the Koran (2:189). The general term in the Koran for moon however occurs 27 times, usually paired with the sun. The Hebrew word hodesh also means new moon. The term lail at-qamar means the night of the crescent. The method of calculation of the new moon was firstly introduced by the Fatimids in 331/942 in North Africa, then in 359/970 at Cairo. That is the reason that the use of the hilal as a decorative emblem was introduced firstly in the period of Imam az-Zahir (d. 427/1036). On the early night when the crescent appeared, the Ismailis call it chand ra’t (crescent night). According to modern computation, it takes 29.530589 days from one to another new moon.
On the other hand, different terms for Friday have been used in the Hadith, such as yaum al-mawlid (the day of the birth of the Prophet), yaum al-fazl (day of gracing), yaum al-baraka (day of benediction), yaum al-rahma (day of mercy), yaum al-ijabut (the day of the acceptance of prayer), yaum al-eid (the day of festival), yaum al ithq (the day of piety), yaum al-ghuzwa (the day of struggle), yaum al-karamat (the day of honour), yaum al-mazid (the day of abundance) or eid al-mu’amin (festival of the believers). Abu Huraira reports that the Prophet said, “The most important day that dawned is the Friday. It was on this day that Adam was created and on this day he was admitted to paradise.” The Prophet also said, “There is a certain blessed moment in the course of a Friday that when any prayer is offered, it is accepted.” (Bukhari). It must be known that the Islamic calander also began on Friday, the 16th July, 622. The 54th Koranic chapter is al-Qamar (moon) with 55 verses revealed in Mecca, and the 62nd chapter is al-Juma having 11 verses, revealed in Medina.
The moon is a symbol of peace and the Friday as grace. When peace and grace join together (Crescent and Friday), the day becomes very sacramental and full of significance, and on that day the Ismailis keep fasting, known as beej. This is a fast for purification of heart, for peace of mind, for spiritual happiness and Divine grace.
mahebubchatur

Some Ginan extracts

Post by mahebubchatur »

Extracts of Ginans on Shukarwari Beej:

SATGUR SHAMS EM BOLEAA, AAJ CHHE DAS MO AVTAAR SALOKO MOTTO
JUGESAR GINAAN : CHATRIS-MU ( 36 OF 60 GINAANS ) SATPA(N)TH SATNU(N) MUKH CHHE
SARAVE JEEVU(N) NAA JYAARE LEKHA AAKDAA MAAHE AME BHED-J PAAYAA
Satgur Shams em boleaa, aaj chhe das mo avatar
http://ismaili.net/ginans/transcription ... 2-055.html
Eji Satgur Shams em boleaa,
aaj chhe das mo avtaar;
nauv-maa rup paltteaa,
te betthaa pachham ke tthaar 1
Eji Taare sahu-ne imaan aaveo,
ane Gur-ne didhaa bahu maan;
amaari ichhaa puri paddi,
ame ditthaa Karsan Kaan 8
Eji Tiyaan Sat Gur dharam vataaveaa, ane vrat aapeaa saar;
Beej thaavar meddaa karo,
to utaro pele paar 9
Pir-Shaah jaap japaaveaa,
ane Gur Nar dharaaveaa naam; Pir Shams sadhaaveaa,
te aaveaa gajni gaam

below what is commonly recited during beej
Saloko Motto
http://ismaili.net/granths/salomoto/path176-186.html
satgur kahere: hete-j khaann maa(n)hethee te neepnaa aaj chak fad vellaa maa(n)he jaann
shukravaaree beej nu farmaan chhe
peer hasan kabeerdeen tenu naam re............173
The True Guide says: It is entirely for sake of love that He created from the origin. Today in the time of intrigue and inspection. There is a farmaan to fulfil the fast of shuravaaree beej and it was made by Peer Hassan Kabeerdeen.
satgur kahere: nar neera(n)jan to neeraakaar chhe tenu mowlaa alee chhe naam
satgur sohodev em bhaa(n)khyaa
shaah paschim dishaa maa(n)he tthaam re......174
The True Guide says: The Lord who is unknowable is formless. His name is Mowla Ali. This is what the True Guide Peer Sadardeen foretells, the (physical) abode of the Lord is in the direction of the West.
satgur kahere: satnu vrat shukravaaree beej chhe ane baar pahor puraa jaann
ardho ahaar karee je raakhshe
te paamshe amar tthaam re..................178
The True Guide says: The true religious observance is the shukravaaree beej. And know it to be for a period of twelve pahors(36 hours). Whoever observes it by maintaining half of sustainance will attain an immortal abode.
satgur kahere: sehej daan-j deejee-e ane deeje satgur mukhe jaann
vallee gat maa(n)he shukravaaree beej chhoddsho to paamsho moksh deedaar..................179
The True Guide says: Offer only pure charity and do it in the presence of the True Guide. After that if you break the fast of shukravaaree beej in JamatKhana, you will attain the Vision and salvation.

satgur kahere: chaar murat dharam-j thaape-o te satgur bhrahmaajee aapoiaap shukarvaaree beej je thaap she
tene moksh muktino tthaam re..............183
The True Guide says: The Religion was established entirely out of the four forms (basic ingredients of the physical world). And it was by the True Guide, the Creator in a spontaneous manner. Whoever establishes the shukravaaree beej will attain the abode of salvation.
satgur kahere: shukarvaaree beej je kaai kal maa(n)he thaapshe ane thaapshe pure vishvaas
te jeevne mukti-j thaashe
ane sahee thaase amaaro deedaar re.......184
The True Guide says: Whoever establishes the shukarvaaree beej in the present age, and establishes with complete faith, his soul will attain freedom entirely and in truth will have our Vision and Light.
Jugesar ginaan : chatris-mu ( 36 of 60 Ginaans )
http://ismaili.net/ginans/transcription ... 6-087.html
Konnso aasanne hoe Bhirmaa,
konn nagri maanhe vaasaa ji;
konn tthekaanne konn astal pujaavaa, pann konn tirath saachaa
guru ji amne chhe Gur Nar aashaa ji
Konn tirathe ame paap chhuttie, konn jote imaan kahie ji;
kiyaan jaaie ame gunaah gujaarie, teno senso ttali daie - guru ji
Sej daan Sat Gur mukhe dejo,
gat tirath-e gunaah parhare soi ji; pachham dise besi jaamp ocharie, Beej Shukarvaari karjo joi jugesar Gur Nar pure aashaa ji
Em boliyaa Imaam Shaah tame sunno jugesar, ame nirinjan ghare thi aaviyaa ji;
aage Karsan rupe karunnaa kidhi,
to Gur Nar beu samaaviyaa
jugesar Gur Nar pure aashaa ji

SATPA(N)TH SATNU(N) MUKH CHHE
http://ismaili.net/granths/gin0101.html
ejee aaj beej sukravaaree seereveeye, nees hove neeseejal man gur gatsu(n) aaraadh kartaa, thaaiye bahu paavan............12
If one observes the 'sukravaaree beej' today, he will certainly be as pure as water. If one adores the Lord in the presence of the Guide and the 'Jamaat', he/she becomes very sacred.
ejee farmaan maano to feraa ttallo,
peershaah kahetaa utareeye pele paar
tame sate amaraapuree paamsho
sahee jaannjo neerdhaar.....................................13
Follow the Farmaans so that you may overcome (the bondages of) the (repeated) cycles of rebirths. Through the guidance of the Guide and the Master, one crosses over the limits of material existence. Through the adherance to the Truth you will attain paradise. Know this as the truth for certain.
ejee satpa(n)th soll kallaasu(n) ugamyo
jem ugeeyo shasheeyar cha(n)ddhr
jenne saaheb seereveeyaa hek man
te kare chhe aana(n)d.......................................14
The True Path has shone like the splendour of the sixteen mansions of the moon, and indeed like the moon risen in the fullness of it's light. Those who have worshipped (served) the Imaam with one mind (heart) are indeed in a joyful state.
ejee hayzee(n)daa kahetaa hastee nu(n) daan
kaayam paayaa kahetaa daan turee(n)g
tame satee lok seerevjo
bhaai amar gaddh paamo aagalle..............................15
By pronouncing 'hayzee(n)daa' in 'Jamaatkhaanaa' one does the charity equivalent (in value) to an elephant. If one pronounces 'kaayam paayaa' one does charity equivalent in value to a horse. You saintly people worship (with that understanding), brothers you will attain immortal fortresses
(of security and peace) ahead.
ejee ruddo amargaddh amraapuree, tame saa(m)bhallo moman veer saache imaane shaahne seerevajo
em boleeyaa peer hasan kabeerdeen...........................16
The immortal fort of paradise is indeed beautiful. Listen O momin brothers. Worship the Lord (Imaam) with true faith. This has been
said by Peer Hassan Kabeerdeen.

Aakdaa maahe ame bhed-j paayaa
http://ismaili.net/ginans/transcription ... 3-048.html
E viraa bhaai aakdaa maahe ame bhed-j paayaa,
bhaai sohi bhed Gure bataayaa ji
E viraa bhaai boleyaa bol te Gur Nar saachun, temaa ek tal aagun na paachun ji
E viraa bhaai dennu lennu damddi re daam, tiyaa sahu sahu ne maathe chhe bhaar ji
E viraa bhaai dharam kartaa vilambh na kije, ane daan sat sun dije ji 16
1 14
E viraa bhaai Beej Shukarvaari no vrat chhe motto, evo dharam rakhe kartaa khottun ji 17
E viraa bhaai madh-raat tame aape jaago,
araj bandagi Shaah ji sun maango ji 18
E viraa bhaai abkaa bhulaa narge jaaso,
Pir Hasan Kabirdin kahe saachun ji 28

SARAVE JEEVU(N) NAA JYAARE LEKHA
http://ismaili.net/granths/gin0090.html
ejee sarave jeevu(n) naa jyaare lekhaa(n) leshe
tyaare koi kene nahee paase - ebee ta(n)iye tame.............1
When the account of all souls will be taken, at that time no one will be with any other person, that too will happen to you.
ejee gat maa(n)he jaaher gurnar aavyaa
taare gat ne geenaan sunnaayaa - ebee ta(n)iye tame..........6
The Imaam and the Peer('Gurnar') has come in the congregation in a manifest manner. He has expounded the 'geenaans'.
ejee geenaan jotaa moman sarave shudh paaiye
geenaan veenaa sarave a(n)dhaaraa - ebee ta(n)iye...........14
Through reflection upon the 'geenaans' the momins attain complete understanding of the mysteries. Without the 'geenaans' everything is darkness.
ejee tere nare amane var-j aalyaa
anatnu(n) var-j aalyaa - ebee...............................26
Your Master gave me the promise(responsiblity) in a complete manner. It was indeed the promise(responsibility) of the salvation of the countless souls.
ejee anatnu(n) var jyaare laine chaalyaa
tyaare momane laadhaa - ebee...............................27
When I accepted the exalted promise (and the blessings) and left, I attained the momins(and became their Master).
ejee dharam no bhed dasho(n)d-j kaheeye
dasho(n)d veenaa paar na laiye - ebee.......................28
Only the tithe reveals(yields) the inner mysteries of religion. Without the tithe one cannot attain the limits of material existence.

ejee satpa(n)th maa(n)he tame saachaa thaine chaalo
to beej shukarvaaree karnaa - ebee.........................33
On the True Path, remain truthful and keep the fast of the 'shukarvaaree beej'.
ejee baar pahor tame jeekaraj laavo
to bahaspatvaarethee rahennaa - ebee........................34
Spend the twelve quarters of the night(36 hours) entirely in remembrance. TO BE CLARIFIED.
ejee ardho aahaar ne akha(n)dd ojaago
baar pahor puraa kaheeye - ebee.............................35
When your appetite(for food and worldly pleasures) has been reduced to half and you have attained imperishable wakeful state(of knowledge and remembrance), then you have completed the twelve quarters of fast.
ejee aap thar thaine jaageej raheeye
to man vaa(r)chhaa fal lai-e - ebee......................36
By maintaining a calm and steady state, remain awake(in knowledge and remembrance). Then you will obtain the fruits of your heart's desire. TO CLARIFY
ejee aaj kal vaar maa(n)he vrat chhe mottu(n)
te maa(n)he kha(n)ddat na karee-e - ebee....................37
In the present age the fast is indeed exalted. Do not procrastinate or hasitate to maintain it.
ejee vrat chhoddeeye tyaare ek abheeyaagat ne jamaaddeeye
to e aahaar amane paho(n)che - ebee.........................38
At the time of breaking your fast invite a guest(or a saint) for dinner. Then that food will reach us.
ejee vrat rahee kenee nee(n)daa na kareeye
nee(n)daa naaraayann nee kareeye -ebee.....................39

While fasting do not talk (ill of) anybody. Only talk about the Imaam.
ejee kahe peer hasan kabeerdeen sate chaalo
to sat sukareete paar-j paho(n)cho - ebee..................182
Peer Hassan Kabeerdeen says: "Conduct yourselves truthfully. Then through the truth and good deeds, you will attain the limits of material existence."
mahebubchatur

An Article on Sukarvaree- Sukravaree Beej

Post by mahebubchatur »

It is important to understand the difference between the SHUKRAVARI BEEJ which has existed and been a traditional religious practice for many centuries, and the CHANDRAAT MAJALIS (MANDLI) which was ordained by Imam, Mawlana Sultan Mohammed Shah in 1894.

Since they both fall on the same day, they have been integrated and the congregational prayers are today held on the same day.

SHUKRAVARI BIJ - BEEJ
By Alwaez Kamaludin

Shukarvar (shukravar) means Friday and by means chandrat
or new moon.

Shukravari Bij is when the first day of the new lunar month falls on a Friday. As per the teaching of the lsmaili pirs in the Indian sub-continent, the Ismailis of
the Indian tradition observe a fast on that day. When our
pirs came to the Indian sub-continent to preach Ismailism
there were numerous religious beliefs and practices in
existence.

According to the prevailing beliefs the concept
of time was divided into four periods called yugas and in
each yuga there was one designated day as a day of
fasting, also called vrat.

These yugas are known as karta, treta, dvapur and kali. In kart a yuga if 11th day of the month occurred on a Monday, in treta yuga if 14th day of the
month occurred on a Tuesday, and in dvapur yuga if 15th
day of the month occurred on a Wednesday then these days were fixed for fasting. After our pirs preached Ismaili tariqah to our forefathers they fixed the first day of the new lunar month, when it falls on a Friday, as a day of fasting. In this regard, various references are found in the
ginanic literature.

For example:

Eji by vrat karvo, ane va~i hoe shukarvar;
Tare sukrit laviye, ane kariye dharam vahevar.

"Observe the vow of by and this too when it is a Friday;
bring along some sukrit, and perform the religious
ceremonies."

In another ginan Pir Shams (r.a.) says:

Satgur kahere
Shukarvari byje koi kalmanhe thapse,
Ane thapse pure visvas;
Te jivne mugat ja thaese,
Ane sa hi thaese amaro didar

"The Satgur (Imam) says: Whoever will observe the shukarvari by
in the present era, and will observe with absolute faith, he
will attain salvation and will in truth obtain our didar."

The term by has been taken from Vikram (Savant) calendar
which was prevalent at that time in the region where our
preaching took place. It was different from the Shamsi
(solar) and Qamari (Hijri or Islamic) calendar. According to
this calendar the first day of the month is called ekam and
the second day is called by. The by (second day) of the
new month is also called chandrat and when this day falls
on a Friday it was called slrukravari by. Keeping in mind
the significance of these days our pirs gave this form of
fasting for the current era. Friday and chandrat both have
special significance in Islam. Traditions record that the
Holy Prophet (s.a.s.), who was always very pleased at the
sighting of the new moon, used to utter the following
prayer:

"0 Allah! Let this moon rise on us with blessings, faith,
well-being and Islam (our allegiance to you). Allah is my
and your Creator"

According to another tradition, whenever the Prophet
(s.a.s.) sighted the new moon he used to first utter these
words three times:

“This is a moon of goodness and
guidance", he would then say three times: "I believe in
Allah Who has created you" and finally he used to say
three times: "All praise is due to Allah Who has changed
this month and brought in this month."

With regard to the importance of chandrat, Imam Sultan
Muhammad Shah (s.a.) said:
(chandrat) is the day of new moon and it will create
happiness and spiritual peace.
Similarly there is a great significance in Islam of Friday
(Jumu'a).

The Prophet (s.a.s.) has said:

Friday is the chief of the days of the week, and any good
done on that day has manifold reward. Prayers are readily
accepted on that day. Higher spiritual positions are
granted to the righteous ones ... God has specially blessed
Makkah as superior to all the places of the world,
Ramadan superior to all the months of the year and Friday
superior to all the days of the week.

Friday is also called Yaumul Fa~l (the day of Grace), Yaumul
Barakat (the day of blessings) and Yaumur Rahmah (the day
ofMercy).

The word Jumma has its roots in the Arabic wordjama'a (to
gather) and jami' (one which gathers). It is called so
because on this day Muslims from all over places make every efforts to gather together to offer prayer. In this way jumu'a brings all the Muslims together.
Hazrat Imam Ja'far as-Sadiq (s.a.) has said:

"On the night of Jumu'a (Friday) Allah sends down angels
to the earth. When the day breaks, they write from dawn
to dusk, in the record of deeds, Salawat in the name of
Muhammad (s.a.s.) and his progeny.

Imam Muhammad ai-Baqir (a.s.) has said:

On Friday the rewards for good deeds are given double.
On this day recite more Salawat and offer alms ... the night
of Friday is enlightening and so is the day .'

Therefore, it is clear that if Friday and chandrat both are
so significant then, if they happen to fall on the same day
then believers should endeavor to lead a simple, unassuming and pious life and offer prayers and meditate to gain maximum spiritual benefit from these sacred days.

The observance of shukravari bij that has been given to us by our pirs is one of our important practices and part of our tradition and it is the duty of every murid to see that this tradition is maintained and is kept alive and growing.

Bar Pohori
By Originally the duration of the fast of bij was given for bar
pohor (12 pohors) i.e. 36 hours (one pohor is equal to 3
hours) beginning in the morning of Thursday and ending
in the evening of Friday. As it is said in the ginan:

Eji satpanth manhe tame sacha thaine chalo,
To bij shukarvari kama, ebi ta1ye tame.
"0 brother! Be true on this Satpanth (true path) and keep
fast on Friday biJ."
Eji bar pohor tame jikar ja lavo,
To bhespatvarethi rehna ebi taie tame.
"0 brother! Do zikr for 12 pahors (36 hours) and keep fast
from Thursday."
Eji ardho ahar ne akhan~ ujago,
Bar por pura kahie ebi taie tame/51
"0 brother! Half meal and continuous prayers at night,
complete 12 pahors like this."
It is also important to explain here what does it mean by
ardho ahar {half meal or half the amount of food).

In
Satverntini Vel, attributed to Sayyid Nur Muhammad Shah,
it has been explained in the following way:

Tab to ek din ma/aek iiea, sukarviir bij ka vi rat rakhaea;
Us dm bi] hot1 sukarvari, usku rakhaea bar pahori;
Kama bichme sukrit ahar, uska lena so piiser bhar;
Amiras pina tlsme tin bar, uska suno sakal vichar;
A valsabher jab rakhna vi rat, riitku amiras pije tit;
Pher dusrijab hoe savar, tab sukrit kuchh kama ahar;
Dinku bijka suno vir, bar tasbijapnii shaha pir.m

"Then one day an angel came and made him observe the
fast of shukarviiri bij. That day was shukarvari bij, he made
him observe bar pohori bij. In the middle of the fast, partake of sukrit (only) for which take a quarter of a ser (half lb). In the middle of it partake of niyaz (ab-e-shafa) three time and listen to its full details. first, in the morning when you start your fast; then drink niyaz (ab-eshafa) at night, and again in the following morning when
you should eat some sukrit also.

During the daytime of bij,
listen o brother! Say twelve tasbihs of Pir Shah''.
mahebubchatur

New Moon, Full Moon & Cycles in other faiths & tradi

Post by mahebubchatur »

Well before Prophet Mohammed, the full moon, new moon & cycle are a part of religious beliefs practices & traditions of many faiths other than Islam. The other faiths include Christianity, Hebrews Judaism, Hinduism, Bhuddism, & Zoroastrians. There are also some differences of interpretations within-intra Islamic schools of jurisprudence-schools of thought

#AgaKhan - Hazar Imam has said that there is no conflict on “the fundamentals” between Islam and other religions. Religious literacy and pluralism requires us to understand & respect other faiths and the differences. This also enables us to then see them as a blessing and helps to strengthen our faith.

The moon is also a deity in many faiths & traditions for prayers of remembrance & renewal. These include the faiths of Hinduism-Chandra, Buddhism, Dinka, Igbo, Dahomean, Egyptian-Khonsu-Thoth, & Zulu (link below)

New Moon in Hebrew is 'Rosh Chodesh' literally means “beginning, head, or renewal” and thus. All through the scriptural record, the New Moon was a day when the prophets heard from Yahweh, ( God of Kingdoms of Israel - Simaria), being a day designated for waiting upon Yahweh, for discerning His purposes and prophetic revelation.”

Kiddush Levana, the Sanctification of the Moon, is performed once a month, during the first part of the lunar cycle. Said outdoors at night, Kiddush Levana is a meaningful ritual highlighted by a Hebrew blessing, selections of Psalms and other prayers. It is often followed by joyous dancing.

Links
https://twitter.com/chaturmahebub/statu ... 80736?s=12

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_lunar_deities

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chandra