Omnipotence paradox..??

Discussion on doctrinal issues
ismaili103

Omnipotence paradox..??

Post by ismaili103 »

YAM to all

My cousin ask me a question and i m just confused frm the question...

Quest is

"Can God create a rock so heavy He could not lift it?"

I google it but only thing I got is that these kind of statement belongs to Omnipotence paradox....

I need ur views regardind this statement( if there is any Quranic ayats and Ginan refrence plzz also mention them)..... :roll: :roll:
agakhani

Post by agakhani »

Ask your cousin first what he think about Allah?
There is no such thing which Allah can not control it Allah is ' KADIR E MUTTALIK' he can do any thing, not only that heavy rock but he can easily lift whole Himalaya Mountain if he want too!.
Admin

Post by Admin »

I think the question is very much valid. Not all paradox can be replied by the human intellect unless the divine intellect guides it. There are still many unknown concept that we have to discover that perhaps one day will help us reply such difficult questions.

See for example, our Imam says Allah creates in Time and Dimension. He does no say in Time and Space. Because as our capacity to understand increases, he brings to us new concepts, more difficult concept to understand.

Multiple dimension universe are one such concept. Multiple creations is another one such concept.

There will be Imams in the Space Age. We knew it. But now we know there will also be Imams in the multiple Dimensions concept.

So yes, anyone with some hints to this paradox, please come forward and try to explain.

One paradox I like is that of Time travel: If you go back in time and kill yourself when you were young, you can not longer grow and time travel to kill yourself ;-) Go figure out... But that one is easy....
a_27826

Re: Omnipotence paradox..??

Post by a_27826 »

ismaili103 wrote:"Can God create a rock so heavy He could not lift it?"

Sure He can create a rock and that rock will obey His command. It can be liftable when He wishes, not liftable when He wishes or that rock can become something else altogether when He wishes.

020:017-020

God: What is that, Moses, you have in your right hand?

Moses: 'Why, it is my staff,' said Moses. 'I lean upon it, and with it I beat down leaves to feed my sheep; other uses also I find in it.

God: Cast it down, Moses!

and he cast it down, and behold it was a serpent sliding.

002:117 The Creator of the heavens and the earth; and when He decrees a thing, He but says to it 'Be,' and it is

003:047 'Lord,' said Mary, 'how shall I have a son seeing no mortal has touched me?' 'Even so,' God said, 'God creates what He will. When He decrees a thing He does but say to it "Be," and it is

016:040 The only words We say to a thing, when We desire it, is that We say to it 'Be,' and it is

019:035 It is not for God to take a son unto Him. Glory be to Him! When He decrees a thing, He but says to it 'Be,' and it is

036:082 His command, when He desires a thing, is to say to it 'Be,' and it is

040:068 It is He who gives life, and makes to die; and when He decrees a thing, He but says to it 'Be,' and it is
Admin

Post by Admin »

The question is about a paradox.
ismaili103

Post by ismaili103 »

Agree wid u all and yes ALLAH is KADIR-E-MUTTALIK.....so thy answer is here ALLAH is KADIR-E-MUTTALIK so he can make that stone which he cant lift...

on other hand he is KADIR-E-MUTTALIK so how he cant lift that stone.......

so question remain unanswerable....and chain contineous....??????? anyone wid there views plzz tell me :roll:
Admin

Post by Admin »

If there was an answer today with our existing knowledge, it would not remain a Paradox. The day knowledge will expand and we will be able to reply to this question, it will not longer be considered a paradox.
tret

Post by tret »

Admin wrote:
One paradox I like is that of Time travel: If you go back in time and kill yourself when you were young, you can not longer grow and time travel to kill yourself ;-) Go figure out... But that one is easy....
There are rules of nature/physics to be followed, and as thriving the concept of time travel as it appears, but it violates the fundamental laws of physics. Even in theory, if it was possible, but physically it would not. But, again like you said maybe our capacity has not evolved yet. I guess we would wait and see. :D
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

I fail to see any paradox at all. MSMS in his Memoirs has said:

"There is a fundamental difference between the Jewish idea of creation and that of Islam. The creation according to Islam is not a unique act in a given time but a perpetual and constant event; and God supports and sustains all existence at every moment by His will and His thought. Outside His will, outside His thought, all is nothing, even the things which seem to us absolutely self-evident such as space and time. Allah alone wishes: the Universe exists; and all manifestations are as a witness of the Divine will. I think that I have sufficiently explained the difference between the Islamic doctrine of the unity of God and, on one side, the theistic ideas, founded upon the Old Testament, and on the other, the patheistic and dualistic ideas of the Indian religion and that of Zoroaster. But having known the real, the Absolute, having understood the Universe as an infinite succession of events, intended by God, we need an ethic, a code of conduct in order to be able to elevate ourselves toward the ideal demanded by God."

There is nothing outside the bounds of God' power. If he wants to create anything, he simply wills it into creation. If he wants to destroy it, he simply wills it into destruction. The Universe with all its multiple dimensions is not outside of God's thought. Space and time are his creations as well, and there is nothing that can prevent him to recreate the past or bring the future forward. God has just to think differently.

Individuals who have elevated their souls have been able to manipulate creation according to their will. Rumi was able to bring the Kaba on the rooftop of his house. We know pf advanced souls and those others through NDE experiences have experienced their past lives. How is this possible. It is possible because the elevated soul operates at a different level of consciousness whereby he can experience the past as well.

Below is further elaboration of man-made creations of space and time.

Illusions of Time and Space: The Vedic View

Time and its corollary, space, as observed in the world of relativity are "man-made" categories, suggested by Nature's power of illusion and applied to a series of changes happening in God....God is the Eternal Consciousness, unchanging and indivisible, in which the illusions of time (change) and space (division) present an infinite variety of forms interacting in a progressive mode of past, present, and future. When a dreamer travels around the world in his dream, he does so, not in space and time, but in his consciousness only. Similarly, the cosmic dream is occurring neither in vast space nor in a series of past, present, and future time, but in the Eternal Now of God's dream consciousness. Because Jesus was attuned to this eternal consciousness, he could say: "Before Abraham was, I am." He knew his everlastingness was in no manner interrupted by the illusory changes called birth, existence, and death.

God has no respect for "history," man's limited and erroneous measuring conceptions of time and space, for He can produce any past being, object, or event instantaneously in His ever present dream consciousness. Likewise, in a second, He can dissolve this world and its beings—or the entire cosmos—and then bring them back at will, just as they were. All He has to do is to stop dreaming this world and it ceases to be; or He can dream it back again by materializing it in His consciousness. These capricious categories of time and space are offshoots of the Cosmic Dreamer's fancy. By Divine Imaginings, dream pictures of universes can be made to appear and disappear in the tiniest space and minutest moment in a single frozen thought of the Cosmic Dreamer.

Devotees who realize the dream nature of this cosmos and the dreaming power of God no longer rely on the misleading illusions of Nature's measurers, the conclusions from which make creation seem often harsh and unjust. They look to the Eternal Consciousness, the Sole Time, that knows no distress of change.

—Paramahansa Yogananda
in God Talks With Arjuna: The Bhagavad Gita