MHI IN INDIA September 2013 Visit

Dates, testimonies, articles, descriptions
Admin

Post by Admin »

newindianexpress.com/nation/PM-inaugurates-restored-Humayuns-Tomb/2013/09/18/article1790906.ece

PM inaugurates restored Humayun's Tomb

By IANS - NEW DELHI

Published: 18th September 2013 09:00 PM

Last Updated: 18th September 2013 09:00 PM

Favouring innovative ways to preserve India's rich heritage, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Wednesday praised the public-private partnership model which has restored the 16th century Humayun's Tomb here.

"India has one of the richest repositories of heritage anywhere in the world and it is critical that we find practical and innovative ways to preserve and maintain this heritage," he said while inaugurating the refurbished monument.

Manmohan Singh said there was a need for India to evolve a more holistic understanding of conservation that combines preservation efforts with the social and economic needs of communities that surround these historic monuments.

He said: "Going by what I have seen and heard today, I think we have found a good model in the public-private partnership that has restored this great monument to its earlier glory.

"The increase in visitor numbers to this world heritage site will also translate into greater income through tourism," he said.

Manmohan Singh said that communities of the Hazrat Nizamuddin Basti now benefit from improved urban infrastructure in health, education, water and sanitation as a by-product of this initiative.

The Humayun's tomb complex, one of the biggest tourist draws in the Indian capital, is a world heritage site and has been restored to its old glory after six years of work.

It was built in 1565, nine years after the death of Mughal emperor Humayun, close to the Yamuna river which then used to flow through that area.

The tomb's restoration project is the largest and most ambitious heritage conservation project undertaken in India -- and the only one by a non-government body, the Aga Khan Trust for Culture.

The Archaeological Survey of India, Sir Dorabji Tata Trust, World Monuments Fund, Ford Foundation and other organisations are partners in the project.

The prime minister said: "The Humayun's tomb project, I believe, has provided 200,000 man-days of employment for master craftsmen.

"I would like to congratulate the Aga Khan Trust for Culture, the ASI and the Sir Dorabji Tata Trust on the success of this endeavour."
Admin

Post by Admin »

http://blogs.wsj.com/indiarealtime/2013 ... -was-this/

September 18, 2013, 1:30 PM

Before the Taj Mahal, There Was This

Humayun’s Tomb in New Delhi was lit up in blue on April 2.

Restoration work has been completed at Humayun’s Tomb, a 16th-century Unesco World Heritage site in Delhi that inspired other Mughal architecture, including the Taj Mahal.

The restoration, carried out by the Aga Khan Trust for Culture in partnership with the Archaeological Survey of India, took six years and involved the removal of one million kilograms (1,000 metric tons) of concrete and thousands of square meters of cement from the tomb, its gateways, pavilions and enclosure, the Aga Khan Trust said.

Many of the Mughal builders’ original designs had been compromised by work carried out last century, the trust said. Monuments adjoining and nearby the tomb have also been restored, it added.

Wednesday afternoon, India’s Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will be the chief guest at an inauguration ceremony marking the completion of restoration. Sitar player Shujaat Khan will also perform.

Unesco says Humayun’s Tomb is of particular cultural significance as it was the first garden-tomb on the Subcontinent and exemplifies the formative stage of Mughal architecture.

Humayun was India’s second Mughal emperor. His widow, Biga Begum, arranged for the tomb to be built in 1569-70, 14 years after his death. Other members of the ruling family were later buried there and the site contains around 150 graves, Unesco says.

“It is the first of a long series of dynastic tombs and innovative in a number of ways, notably by virtue of the fact that it introduced the garden tomb to the Subcontinent,” Unesco said.

The Taj Mahal in Agra was built by Mughal emperor Shah Jahan for his wife, between 1631 and 1648.

“Humayun had travelled widely in the Islamic world, notably in Persia and central Asia, and brought back with him ideas that were applied by the architect of his tomb,” Unesco added.

Here is a video of the restoration work at Humayun’s Tomb.

[see link above]
Admin

Post by Admin »

zeenews.india.com/news/nation/india-has-one-of-the-richest-repositories-of-heritage-pm_877517.html

India has one of the richest repositories of heritage': PM

Tag: Manmohan Singh, heritage, Humayun`s Tomb, World Heritage Site, Hazrat Nizamuddin Basti

Last Updated: Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 22:53
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Wednesday said India has one of the richest repositories of heritage anywhere in the world and it is critical that attempts are made to find practical and innovative ways to preserve and maintain this heritage.

"I recall that, in November 2004, speaking at this very spot on the occasion of the presentation of the Aga Khan Award for Architecture, I had expressed the hope that a public private partnership could be created to maintain and restore historic monuments," said Singh in his speech at the ceremony to mark the completion of restoration work at Humayun's Tomb.

"More recently, on the occasion of the 150th anniversary celebrations of the Archaeological Survey of India, I had underlined the need for us in India to evolve a more holistic understanding of conservation that combines our preservation efforts with the social and economic needs of the communities that surround these historic monuments. To my mind, this is the only sustainable way for us to accomplish the herculean task of preserving our vast cultural heritage," he added.

Singh added, "Going by what I have seen and heard today, I think we have found a good model in the public-private partnership that has restored this great monument to its earlier glory." "The key to the success of this conservation initiative here at Humayun's Tomb has been partnership between like-minded public and private agencies, seized with concern for the protection of the national heritage, and able to work in a transparent and inclusive manner with local communities," PM said.

"I hope this successful partnership demonstrated here will encourage both government and civil society institutions to forge similar alliances at all our World Heritage Sites," he added.

Manmohan Singh said one obvious lesson to take away from this example is the efficacy of integrating conservation efforts with public policies and schemes for urban renewal, including those operating under the Jawaharlal Nehru Urban Renewal Mission of our Government.

"I am convinced that the effort to preserve our heritage can be productively dovetailed with local area development through infrastructure improvement, community participation, employment generation, boosting local crafts and arts, environmental conservation and landscaping," he added.

Further PM said the Humayun Tomb project has provided 200,000 man-days of employment for master craftsmen - demonstrating the potential of conservation works to fulfill a significant government objective.

"The increase in visitor numbers to this World Heritage Site will also translate into greater income through tourism," PM said.

"The resident communities of Hazrat Nizamuddin Basti now benefit from improved urban infrastructure in health, education, water and sanitation as a by-product of this initiative," he added.

PM said all these takeaways mean that this effort could very well be a model for sustainable urban development of our historic city centers, using funding from the Urban Renewal Mission.

"It also achieves the important objective of engaging local communities in conservation and providing them opportunities for vocational training. It is only thus that conservation in India can become truly meaningful," he added.

Singh said the Aga Khan Trust has offered continued support for a ten year period to the Municipality, CPWD and the Archaeological Survey of India to ensure post-project financial sustainability of all project components, including the 90 acre city park being created adjacent to Humayun's Tomb.

"This too will serve as a model for future urban improvements that must plan for future management from the onset of development works," he added.

PM said the responsibility to conserve and restore our nation's heritage cannot simply be the sole preserve of government agencies, especially in a country where the physical manifestations of our past are so numerous, and often appear to be at risk of being overwhelmed by the pace of present development.

"The involvement of the local communities who form part of the ecosystem of this heritage is, therefore, essential in this effort," he added.

Dr. Singh congratulated the Aga Khan Trust for Culture, the Archaeological Survey of India and the Sir Dorabji Tata Trust on the success of this endeavour, which has spared no resources and no effort to bring the country's systems at par with the best in the world and provide a model for conservation to the world. "I would also like to personally thank His Highness the Aga Khan for his commitment to revitalising historic centres, here in India and abroad. We are fortunate to count him as a great friend of Indian heritage and I have no doubt that we will be able to continue this rich partnership into the future," he said.

ANI

First Published: Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 22:53
Admin

Post by Admin »

vancouverdesi.com/lifestyle/pm-inaugurates-restored-humayuns-tomb-third-lead/629480/

PM inaugurates restored Humayun’s Tomb

New Delhi, Sep 18 (IANS) India has one of the “richest repositories” of man’s heritage, and it is critical that we find practical and innovative ways to preserve and maintain it, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said here Wednesday.

“India has one of the richest repositories of heritage anywhere in the world and it is critical that we find practical and innovative ways to preserve and maintain this heritage,” he said while inaugurating the refurbished Humayun’s Tomb here.

The 16th century tomb complex, one of the biggest tourists draws in the Indian capital, is a world heritage site and has been restored to its old glory after six years of work.

Manmohan Singh said there was a need for India to evolve a more holistic understanding of conservation that combines preservation efforts with the social and economic needs of communities that surround these historic monuments.

He said: “Going by what I have seen and heard today, I think we have found a good model in the public-private partnership that has restored this great monument to its earlier glory.”

“The increase in visitor numbers to this world heritage site will also translate into greater income through tourism,” he said.

The prime minister said that communities of the Hazrat Nizamuddin Basti now benefit from improved urban infrastructure in health, education, water and sanitation as a by-product of this initiative.

“The Humayun’s Tomb project, I believe, has provided 200,000 man-days of employment for master craftsmen,” he said.

“I would like to congratulate the Aga Khan Trust for Culture, the ASI (Archeological Survey of India) and the Sir Dorabji Tata Trust on the success of this endeavour.”

The tomb was built in 1565, nine years after the death of Mughal emperor Humayun, close to the Yamuna river which then flowed nearer to that area. In later years, the river changed its course.

Culture Minister Chandresh Kumari Katoch lauded the public-private partnership model, and felt every citizen of India was responsible for preserving the country’s cultural heritage.

“I believe that we in India are extremely fortunate to have a cultural heritage that goes back thousands of years. At the same time, this places tremendous responsibilities upon us,” she said.

“It is not a legacy of our fore-fathers to be enjoyed and frittered away. It is the heritage of our children and future generations and we are under obligation to ensure that we don’t destroy what is with us,” she added.

Along with the tomb, a number of adjoining monuments like Nila Gumbad, Isa Khan’s garden tomb, Bu Halima’s garden tomb, Arab ki Sarai gateways, Sundarawala Mahal and Burj, Batashewala group of monuments, Chausath Khambha and Hazrat Nizamuddin Baoli have also been restored.

Aga Khan, chairman of the Aga Khan Development Network, said it was the prime minister in 2004 who first recommended this public-private model.

“He was the first person to recommend that projects like this should be built on public-private partnership. The completion of this project marks accomplishment of a great goal,” he said.

“Historic restoration can be an effective springboard for economic and cultural development,” he added.

The tomb’s restoration project is the largest and most ambitious heritage conservation project undertaken in India — and the only one by a non-government body, the Aga Khan Trust for Culture.

The Archaeological Survey of India, Sir Dorabji Tata Trust, World Monuments Fund, Ford Foundation and other organisations were partners in the Humayun Tomb project.

IANS 2013-09-18 22:32:07
Admin

Post by Admin »

news.outlookindia.com/items.aspx?artid=810595

PM Seeks Pvt Sector's Help in Preserving Monuments
New Delhi | Sep 18, 2013

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh today invited private sector to work with government agencies in preserving historic monuments and stressed that the responsibility of conserving and restoring heritage works cannot be the sole preserve of the government.

Speaking at the completion ceremony of the conservation of Humayun's Tomb here, he also underlined the need to engage local community in maintaining monuments and said the six-year work at the tomb "provides a model for preservation to the world".

"I think we have found a good model of public-private partnership. It will encourage government and civil societies in similar alliance," he said.

The Aga Khan, Culture Minister Chandresh Kumari Katoch and Dorabji Tata Trust head Ratan Tata shared the dais with the Prime Minister.

Aga Khan Trust for Culture had taken on the restoration project at this UNESCO world heritage site in partnership with Archaeological Survey of India in 2007, while Sir Dorabji Tata Trust co-funded the work.

Humayun's Tomb was completed in 1570. Over 1000 artisans, including those from Uzbekistan, have worked on the monument for six years to restore its original shape lost due to damage and repairs carried out over the years.

Singh said the project created over two lakh man days of employment and gave work to hundreds of master craftsmen.

Terming as "essential" the cooperation of local communities, he said such projects also result in local area development, landscaping and environmental protection.

"The responsibility to conserve and restore (monuments) cannot be sole preserve of government agencies in a country like ours where physical manifestation of our past are numerous," he said.

Improved urban infrastructure in health, education and sanitation would help residents of neighbouring Nizamuddin, Singh said.

Speaking on the occasion, the Aga Khan also supported the public-private partnership mode in restoring monuments and said the model should be adopted for more projects.

He said a "creative mix" of participation is required to make PPP projects a success.

Referring to the restoration of Humayun's Tomb, he said several thousand square feet of floor concrete was removed from the monument's walls and floor using hand tools.

The cement was used inappropriately to carry out repairs of the structure over the years.

He said the number of visitors have increased ten folds since the restoration work started a decade ago. The Trust had earlier restored the garden at the monument as the Aga Khan's gift to India on its 50th anniversary of independence.

The Aga Khan is the Chairman of the Aga Khan Development Network. He became imam (spiritual leader) of the Shia Imami Ismaili Muslims in July, 1957.

In November 2004, while presenting the Aga Khan Award for Architecture at the same venue, the Prime Minister had expressed the hope that a public private partnership could be created to maintain and restore historic monuments.

The Trust came forward and carried out the restoration in partnership with Archaeological Survey of India, CPWD and the MCD. The Sir Dorabji Tata Trust co-funded the work.

An urban renewal project comprising adjoining areas of Nizamuddin Basti, Sundar Nursery and the Tomb complex was signed in 2007.

Culture Minister Katoch said defacement of monuments, and their destruction in the name of development has to be avoided.

Terming the project as a "new chapter" in public-private partnership, she said the Trust was taking up another project in Hyderabad.
FILED ON: Sep 18, 2013 21:38 IST
Admin

Post by Admin »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/meaindia/s ... 784215854/

These are 10 photos from the MEA Gallery, a large selection of quality pics.

A must see! Click the link below.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/meaindia/s ... 784215854/
Admin

Post by Admin »

Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh, the Prince Karim Aga Khan and the Union Minister for Culture, Smt. Chandresh Kumari Katoch visit the Humayun’s Tomb, in New Delhi.

This is from the website of the Prime Minister of India at pmindia.nic.in/index.php

PM's speech at the ceremony to mark the completion of restoration work at Humayun's Tomb

It gives me great joy to be here this evening in a spot that is replete with the grandeur of nearly five hundred years of Indian history. The famous architect, Frank Gehry, once said: “In the end, the character of a civilization is encased in its structures.” This complex is an important marker of our civilization and it is, therefore, a privilege for me to join you at this ceremony marking the completion of almost seven years of painstaking restoration work by the Aga Khan Trust for Culture, in partnership with the Archaeological Survey of India, and with the support of the Sir Dorabji Tata Trust.

India has one of the richest repositories of heritage anywhere in the world and it is critical that we find practical and innovative ways to preserve and maintain this heritage. I recall that, in November 2004, speaking at this very spot on the occasion of the presentation of the Aga Khan Award for Architecture, I had expressed the hope that a public private partnership could be created to maintain and restore historic monuments.

More recently, on the occasion of the 150th anniversary celebrations of the Archaeological Survey of India, I had underlined the need for us in India to evolve a more holistic understanding of conservation that combines our preservation efforts with the social and economic needs of the communities that surround these historic monuments. To my mind, this is the only sustainable way for us to accomplish the herculean task of preserving our vast cultural heritage.

Going by what I have seen and heard today, I think we have found a good model in the public-private partnership that has restored this great monument to its earlier glory. The key to the success of this conservation initiative here at Humayun’s Tomb has been partnership between like-minded public and private agencies, seized with concern for the protection of the national heritage, and able to work in a transparent and inclusive manner with local communities. I hope this successful partnership demonstrated here will encourage both government and civil society institutions to forge similar alliances at all our World Heritage Sites.

One obvious lesson to take away from this example is the efficacy of integrating conservation efforts with public policies and schemes for urban renewal, including those operating under the Jawaharlal Nehru Urban Renewal Mission of our Government. I am convinced that the effort to preserve our heritage can be productively dovetailed with local area development through infrastructure improvement, community participation, employment generation, boosting local crafts and arts, environmental conservation and landscaping.

The Humayun Tomb project, I believe, has provided 200,000 man-days of employment for master craftsmen – demonstrating the potential of conservation works to fulfil a significant government objective.

The increase in visitor numbers to this World Heritage Site will also translate into greater income through tourism.

The resident communities of Hazrat Nizamuddin Basti now benefit from improved urban infrastructure in health, education, water and sanitation as a by-product of this initiative.

All these takeaways mean that this effort could very well be a model for sustainable urban development of our historic city centers, using funding from the Urban Renewal Mission. It also achieves the important objective of engaging local communities in conservation and providing them opportunities for vocational training. It is only thus that conservation in India can become truly meaningful.

The Aga Khan Trust has offered continued support for a ten year period to the Municipality, CPWD and the Archaeological Survey of India to ensure post-project financial sustainability of all project components, including the 90 acre city park being created adjacent to Humayun’s Tomb. This too will serve as a model for future urban improvements that must plan for future management from the onset of development works.

The responsibility to conserve and restore our nation’s heritage cannot simply be the sole preserve of government agencies, especially in a country where the physical manifestations of our past are so numerous, and often appear to be at risk of being overwhelmed by the pace of present development. The involvement of the local communities who form part of the ecosystem of this heritage is, therefore, essential in this effort.

I would like to congratulate the Aga Khan Trust for Culture, the Archaeological Survey of India and the Sir Dorabji Tata Trust on the success of this endeavour, which has spared no resources and no effort to bring our systems at par with the best in the world and provide a model for conservation to the world. I would also like to personally thank His Highness the Aga Khan for his commitment to revitalising historic centres, here in India and abroad. We are fortunate to count him as a great friend of Indian heritage and I have no doubt that we will be able to continue this rich partnership into the future.

With these words, I thank you all and I wish you a very good evening.
Admin

Post by Admin »

Prime Minister of India has posted a video of his visit with Hazar Imam and the ceremony on his website:

http://flashmedia.nic.in:8080/pmoi/media/pm174.flv

September 18, 2013

The Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh, the Prince Karim Aga Khan and the Union Minister for Culture, Smt. Chandresh Kumari Katoch visit the Humayun’s Tomb, in New Delhi on September 18, 2013.

http://pmindia.nic.in/media/video_detai ... hotoID=939
Last edited by Admin on Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Admin

Post by Admin »

akdn.org/content/1203

Speech by His Highness the Aga Khan at the Inauguration Ceremony for the Restoration of Humayun’s Tomb, Delhi, India, 18 September 2013.

18 September 2013

Bismillah-ir-Rahman-ir-Rahim
Your Excellency Prime Minister Manmohan Singh
Minister for Culture Shrimati Chandresh Kumari Katoch
Mr. Ratan Tata
Honorable Ministers, Excellencies
Distinguished Guests
Ladies and Gentlemen

Let me first extend my special thanks to the Prime Minister, whose presence honours all of us.

There is another very important reason for me to salute the Prime MInister today. It was he who first recommended to the Aga Khan Trust for Culture that projects like this, should be built on public private partnerships. We heeded his suggestion. And today, the great majority of the 20 similar projects we have undertaken, are founded on public private agreements.

We are also pleased that so many friends – old and new – are sharing with us in this most significant ceremony – in this truly remarkable place.

Among those whom we welcome with special gratitude are the generous partners who have worked with us over many years. Let me take this moment to offer a special, grateful salute to the Sir Dorabji Tata Trust and the Sir Ratan Tata Trust, and its Chairman Sir Ratan Tata.

We are happy that you all are here – even as we have been overjoyed to know of the many millions who now visit this site annually. I understand that there has been a ten-fold increase in visitors to the Tomb Complex since our restoration efforts began here, more than a decade ago.

This inauguration ceremony marks the accomplishment of a great goal; the gardens and now the Mausoleum are fully restored. And we can be confident that the Complex will be able to welcome, on a sustainable basis, a larger number of additional annual visitors in the years ahead.

The fact that so many people want to share this extraordinary experience – as you do today – is a heartening affirmation of the Monument’s continuing importance. We all feel its power to fascinate, to teach – and to inspire us – nearly half a millennium after it was originally built.

As you may know, this Mughal monument, which dates back to 1570, was the first garden-tomb complex on the Indian subcontinent. It inspired major architectural innovations, culminating in the construction of the Taj Mahal.

I recall happily how our own efforts began here in 1997, in celebration of the fiftieth anniversary of Indian independence. Our initial objective was to restore the surrounding Gardens – including the fountains and pathways – according to their original plans. That was the first privately funded restoration of a World Heritage Site in India – and it had significant impact, vastly expanding the community’s green space, and stimulating an impressive flow of new visitors.

As the Garden project was completed, we were proud to become part of a new Public Private Partnership, dedicated to the restoration of the Mausoleum and other notable buildings on this site. Our partners included the Archaeological Survey of India, the Central Public Works Department, and the Delhi Municipal Corporation. We extend our deepest gratitude to all of them. And we also note gratefully the generous support of the United States Embassy, the German Embassy, the Ford Foundation and the World Monuments Fund.

Over time, the restoration work has drawn not only on these supporting organizations, but also on many hundreds of highly skilled individuals from a vast array of disciplines – all working to recover here a grandeur enjoyed in past centuries and now, once again, a part of public life.

Since 2007, master craftsmen have spent some 200,000 work-days restoring Humayun’s Tomb and its associated structures.

I think you will be as fascinated as I have been to hear just a little about this reconstruction work.

It is striking, for example, to learn that some one million kilos of cement concrete had been laid down here during the 20th century – and that it had to be removed from the roof using hand tools. Meanwhile, some 200,000 square feet of lime plaster had to be applied in areas where it had been lost or replaced with cement plaster that was already crumbling.

Similarly, over 40,000 square feet of concrete had to be removed from the lower plinth of the Mausoleum and major, two-ton paving blocks, had to be manually replaced.

In addition, original decorative patterns have been painstakingly recreated – work that required the talents of master ceramic tile makers. Happily, practitioners of this art in Uzbekistan were able to come here to train young residents of the Hazrat Nizamuddin Basti, contributing not only to the beauty of this monument, but also opening new economic opportunities for these young people.

But even as we observe the beauty that is evident within the Humayun Complex, it is also important to situate this project within a larger context. We hope to link this monument to the adjacent seventy-acre site of the Sundar Nursery, once a significant Sufi graveyard, and now being transformed into an Archeological Park. We are planning new visitor facilities and an innovative Interpretation Center serving the two sites.

The combined sites will create a heritage zone of unmatched scale, value and visibility – a proud symbol of Indian history – featuring one of the world’s largest concentrations of medieval Islamic buildings. This site is the largest of the 20 major projects developed in nine countries by our Historic Cities program over the past decades.

But cultural history is only one part of this story. A central premise of our work is that cultural enrichment and historic restoration can also be effective springboards for economic and social progress. Rather than being a drain on fragile economies, as some once feared, investment in cultural legacies can be a powerful agent in improving the quality of human life. The impact of such projects can begin by diversifying local economies, expanding employment and teaching new skills. And a continuing stream of visitors, properly guided and welcomed, can provide income streams far into the future, which can be further invested in economic growth.

We have been encouraged by the impact of this project on the lives of some 20,000 inhabitants of the Nizamuddin Basti area. But we cannot assume that such favorable outcomes will emerge automatically from such work; they must be carefully considered and continually monitored. Here in Delhi, as elsewhere in our Network, an intimate part of our program is what we call a “quality of life assessment” concerning the surrounding community -- a measuring process that begins when a project is launched, and continues long beyond its completion.

In Delhi, this concern has led to a variety of initiatives in the core areas of health, education and sanitation, including job training and access to microfinance. All of this is being done in close cooperation with local community groups, close partners in our work.

The word “partnership,” in fact, could be the watchword of this celebration. What we honor today, above all else – is the spirit of partnership in which this work has unfolded.

In my view, an Ethic of Partnership must be at the center of any successful project of this sort. Among other things, an Ethic of Partnership means that traditional separations between public and private domains must be set aside, so that public-private partnerships can thrive as an essential keystone for effective development.

The role of governments – including municipalities – is essential, of course, in providing “an enabling environment” for development. But the public sector cannot do this work alone. A creative mix of participants is needed: corporations and development agencies, foundations and universities, faith communities and local community groups.

This Humayun Tomb project was the first Public-Private Partnership for cultural heritage in Indian history. It has been a model for our new project in Hyderabad – the restoration of the Qutb Shahi Tombs – in cooperation with the local government.

I believe that Public-Private Partnerships can be an increasingly useful approach, here in India and in other settings. India is one of the world’s richest countries in terms of historic heritage, with 30 World Heritage Sites – including 24 cultural sites. They represent a patrimony that cannot be preserved by the public sector alone. Public-private collaboration will be essential.

And so I would conclude as I began, with a heartfelt salute to the partners who have worked with us in making this day possible – and to all who have cared so deeply about this project – and supported it so thoughtfully.

You have helped to make the Humayun Tomb endeavor into a great gift to the people of this neighborhood, to the city of Delhi, to the people of India, and – indeed – the peoples of the world. And you have validated the foundations on which many similar initiatives here in India, and elsewhere, can be built.

Thank you.
Admin

Post by Admin »

India has great admiration for Aga Khan: Mukherjee

New Delhi, Sep 19 (IANS) President Pranab Mukherjee Thursday said that India has great admiration for spiritual leader Aga Khan whose tolerance is a contribution in countering sectarianism and fundamentalism.

"India has great admiration for Aga Khan and his noble mission of providing service to the needy and underprivileged in many parts of the world," said Mukherjee here after he met the Aga Khan at Rashtrapati Bhavan.

The meeting came a day after the 16th century Humayun's Tomb, which was refurbished by the Aga Khan Trust for Culture, was inaugurated by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in the city.

The president said: "The Aga Khan's stress on tolerance and service to humanity is a valuable contribution in countering sectarianism and fundamentalism."

The president expressed happiness over institutions under the Aga Khan Development Network working closely with ministries and central and state governments in implementing activities in the fields of health, education, rural development, culture and promoting people's livelihood.

The Humayun's Tomb complex, one of the biggest tourists draws in the Indian capital, is a world heritage site and has been restored to its old glory after six years of work.

The tomb's restoration project was the largest and most ambitious heritage conservation undertaken in India -- and the only one by a non-government body, the Aga Khan Trust for Culture, along with other partners.
Admin

Post by Admin »

Official Visit of His Highness The Aga Khan to India from 17th to 28th
September, 2013.
September 16, 2013
Ministry Of External Affairs
(XP Divison)
Most Immediate/ Media Advisory
As on 16th September, 2013 at 1500 hrs
Tuesday, September 17, 2013
1600 hrs
Arrival
Venue: Air Force Station, Palam
Photo Op: AV Media
Wednesday, September 18, 2013
1100 hrs Call On Vice President
Venue: 6, Maulana Azad Road
Photo Op: Agencies Only
1230 hrs
Meeting with the Prime Minister
Venue: 7, Race Course Road
1500 hrs
Call by Shri Salman Khurshid, Minister of External Affairs
Venue: Parliament at Chambers, Hotel Taj Mahal
1620 hrs
Humayun Tomb’s Completion Ceremony
Venue: Humayun’s Tomb
Photo Op: Contact Organiser
1945 hrs
Banquet hosted by the Vice President
Venue: Hyderabad House
Thursday, September 19, 2013
1100 hrs
Call on the President
Venue: Rashtrapati Bhavan
1200 hrs
Joint Meeting with Shri Kamal Nath, Minister of Urban Development and Smt. Chandresh Kumari Katoch, Minister of
Culture
Venue: Hotel Taj Mahal
1845 hrs
Meeting with Smt. Sonia Gandhi, Chairperson, UPA
Venue: Hotel Taj Mahal
Friday, September 20, 2013
0930 hrs
Visit Hyderabad
1650 hrs
Inauguration Ceremony Of Aga Khan Academy, Hyderabad
Venue: Aga Khan Academy
Saturday, September 21, 2013
1030 hrs
Meeting with the Governor of Andhra Pradesh
Venue: Raj Bhavan, Andhra Pradesh
1530 hrs
Meeting with Shri Nallari Kiran Kumar Reddy, Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh
Venue: Hotel Taj Falaknuma Palace
1800 hrs
Visit Mumbai
Monday, September 23, 2013
1000 hrs
Call by Shri Prithviraj Chavan, Chief Minister of Maharashtra
Venue: Hotel Taj Mahal Palace
1930 hrs
Meeting With the Governor of Maharashtra
Venue: Raj Bhavan, Maharashtra
Saturday, September 28, 2013
0630 hrs
Departure
Please Note:
Media is requested to arrive 1 hour before each event.
Access Restricted to the Holders of PIB Card Only.
Admin

Post by Admin »

Both video of the arrival of Mowlana Hazar Imam in Delhi and his meeting with Foreign Minister are now on Youtube. Below are both links.

Published on Sep 18, 2013

18 sep, 2013 (ANI): Spiritual leader of 20 million Ismaili Muslims around the world, Prince Shah Karim Al Husseini, the Aga Khan, arrives in New Delhi on a state visit during which he will inaugurate a restored 16th century Mughal Garden that could be one of the world's largest city centre parks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOtZ0tX ... ata_player

19 Sep,2013 - Aga Khan meets Indian Foreign Minister in New Delhi

Published on Sep 19, 2013

19 Sep,2013 (ANI) - Spiritual leader of 20 million Ismaili Muslims around the world, Prince Shah Karim Al Husseini, Aga Khan, who is on a visit to India, meets Foreign Minister Salman Khurshid in New Delhi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ-qVhoYXgg
Admin

Post by Admin »

Admin

Post by Admin »

The New India Express
Friday, September 20, 2013 09:36 AM

Restoration of Humayun tomb a model to emulate

By The New Indian Express

Published: 20th September 2013 07:22 AM

Last Updated: 20th September 2013 07:22 AM

The completion of the project to conserve the centuries-old Humayun tomb in New Delhi was a proud moment for conservationists and archaeologists. Anybody who has witnessed the meticulous work over the last six years will agree that considerable planning, attention to details and sophistication have gone into the work. The tomb was in a state of disrepair and would have crumbled, if it was not restored. Restoration of the UNESCO world heritage site was not easy, given the technology, artistry and materials required for the work. Also, care had to be taken against getting a shoddy work done.

Fortunately, Agha Khan Trust, Sir Dorabji Tata Trust and the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) joined hands to take up the challenge. About 1,000 artisans, including some from Uzbekistan, took part in the restoration work which did not disrupt the flow of tourists to the tomb, built in 1570. At the completion ceremony, prime minister Manmohan Singh praised the private-public participation in the restoration plan. The ASI has done pioneering work in restoring such monuments as the temples at Khajuraho and Konark but it has its own limits.

Few other countries can rival India in terms of its cultural heritage. In Delhi itself there are hundreds of structures, big and small, dating to the Mughal and earlier periods that will be lost forever if urgent restoration work is not done. Alas, the ASI does not have adequate funds and enough personnel to undertake such a gargantuan task. The ASI had a programme to instill a sense of participation in the minds of the youth in its conservation programmes. The people can also be trained to help in this regard. Also, private companies and philanthropic outfits can be encouraged to support restoration work at specific sites, identified by the ASI, by granting them tax concessions. In any case, archaeological preservation is too big a task to be left to the government alone.
Admin

Post by Admin »

Links to various video of the visit of Mowlana Hazar Imam in India in September 2013:

Aga Khan meeting Foreign Minister on 19th September 2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ-qVhoYXgg

the Restoration ceremony- tour on 18 September

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... sqkGE#t=15

TV Zeenews report on Aga Khan Academy to be inaugurated on 20 September 2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWCVm3b9JV0
Admin

Post by Admin »

Hyderabad - Sep 20 , 2013
Last Update at 19:26 IST

Aga Khan Academy at Hyderabad formally launched

The Aga Khan Academy, one of the educational centres of excellence planned around the world by Aga Kgan Development Network, was formally inaugurated here Friday.

The not-for profit academy which has come up on 100 acres of land donated by Andhra Pradesh government near the Rajiv Gandhi International Airport, was formally launched by Aga Khan, founder and Chairman of the Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN) in the presence of Chief Minister N. Kiran Kumar Reddy and union Human Resource Development Minister M.M. Pallam Raju.

The academy, which is running since 2011, is part of the global chain of such institutions planned by the AKDN and the second one to come up after Mombasa in Kenya. AKDN plans to set up 18 academies in 14 countries of Africa, Middle East, Central and South Asia.

The academy which follows International Baccalaureate (IB) curriculum gives admit students on merit basis and has a strong scholarship programme.

The Aga Khan noted the foundation stone for the academy was laid in 2005. "The aim of the academy is to educate talented young mind for global future," he said.

The academy follows residential secondary school system and creates multinational environment, he pointed out.

He said the AKDN had taken up restoration of heritage monuments like Humayun's Tomb in Delhi and Qutub Shahi Tombs in Hyderabad.

Pallam Raju said the country had made great strides in education after Right To Education (RTE) Act came into force. He said 230 million children were sent to schools during last three years and hoped that more would be enrolled in next two years.

"The aim of the Aga Khan Academy, Hyderabad, is to develop home-grown leaders with a strong sense of ethics and civic responsibility, who will contribute to India's future. By intentionally bringing a diverse group of students to study and live together, the Academy aims to help build understanding and respect across diverse sectors of society," said a statement by AKDN.

The academy incorporates a professional development centre for teacher training and curricular innovation. The centre through its outreach programme, also extends modern teaching and learning methods to government and other not-for-profit schools.

The agencies of the AKDN work to improve the welfare of people in the developing world, particularly in Asia and Africa.

The AKDN works in 30 countries around the world and employs approximately 80,000 people and its annual budget for non-profit development activities is approximately $600 million.
Last edited by Admin on Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Admin

Post by Admin »

Times of India

Aga Khan Academy gets going in Hyderabad
TNN | Sep 21, 2013, 01.17 AM IST

timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/hyderabad/Aga-Khan-Academy-gets-going-in-Hyderabad/articleshow/22825082.cms

HYDERABAD: The Aga Khan Academy, a state of the art international school belonging to the Aga Khan network of institutions was formally inaugurated in presence of spiritual leader Aga Khan in an elaborate ceremony on the academy premises in Shamshabad on Friday.

The inauguration ceremony took place exactly seven years after the foundation stone of the institute was laid in the 100 acres of land allotted by the state government. It was formally unveiled by Pallam Raju, Union minister for human resource development and chief minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy.

The Hyderabad academy is the second such campus to be launched internationally, following the one in Mombasa, Kenya. Other campuses are expected to come up in different parts of the world.

The academy which follows International Baccalaureate syllabus is currently running classes for junior, middle and senior school level students. The campus development started in 2010 and has currently reached its second phase where infrastructure to accommodate 750 students is already in place.

Emphasising on the cultural and academic pluralism practised by the school, Aga Khan said parents would recognise the immense benefits of having their children live together in a multinational environment, offering rigorous academic values.

He said that Hyderabad was chosen as the location for setting up the academy as the state government had provided a large site which suited their development plan.

"We plan to eventually set up 18 academies in 14 countries. The Hyderabad academy is the second to be inaugurated after the one in Kenya," said Aga Khan.

In the near future academies would come up in Dar Es Salam, Bishkek and Dhaka, as construction is underway at all the three locations, he said.

The academy administration plans to accommodate 750 students by 2017, of which about 50% would be boarders in the residential facility. Currently over 40% of the students on campus are part of the residential programme.

Chief minister Kiran Kumar Reddy said the state and especially Hyderabad will benefit from an institution like the Aga Khan Academy. "The city is already an educational hub and presence of the academy is only going to enrich it further," he said.
Admin

Post by Admin »

indianexpress.com/news/aga-khan-academy-opens-in-hyderabad/1172124/

Aga Khan Academy opens in Hyderabad
Express News Service : Hyderabad, Sat Sep 21 2013, 02:18 hrs

The Aga Khan Academy Hyderabad, a new, not-for-profit school situated on a 100-acre campus, was officially inaugurated Friday by Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy and Union HRD Minister M M Pallam Raju in the presence of Aga Khan, founder and chairman of the Aga Khan Development Network.

The academy, situated near the Rajiv Gandhi airport on land gifted by the state government, is the second in a global network of 18 schools being established across South and Central Asia, Africa and the Middle East. The first academy is located in Mombasa, Kenya, and the third in Maputo, Mozambique. Plans are underway for development in Bangladesh and Tanzania.

The academy provides talented girls and boys from all backgrounds with an all-round education of the highest international standards. Students are selected based on merit, irrespective of their ability to pay.
Admin

Post by Admin »

deccanchronicle.com/130921/news-current-affairs/article/1st-aga-khan-excellence-centre-india-begins

Saturday, Sep 21, 2013 | Last Update : 10:06 AM IST

1st Aga Khan excellence centre in India begins

Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N. Kiran Kumar Reddy, spiritual leader Aga Khan and Union minister fro HRD M.M. Pallam Raju converse at the inauguration ceremony of the Aga Khan Academy in Hyderabad. —DC

Hyderabad: Seven years after the foundation stone was set, the Aga Khan Academy Hyderabad was inaugurated on Friday by Chief Minister Kiran Kumar Reddy and Union minister for human resource development Dr M.M. Pallam Raju.

Speaking at the inauguration ceremony, spiritual leader Aga Khan said that the Maheshwaram campus, which was the first centre of excellence started by the Aga Khan Foundation in India, would be part of 18 academies to be set up across 14 countries in the world. “The Hyderabad Academy is the second to be inaugurated; the next will be in Mombasa and Kenya.

Construction is now underway in Mozambique, Dares Saalam, Bishkek and Dhaka. The other planned sites range from Afghanistan and Tajikistan to Uganda, from Tanzania to the Democratic Republic of Congo, from Madagascar to Mali, from Syria to Pakistan and Portugal.

“When the programme is complete, our students will have the opportunity to speak and learn in Hindi, Urdu, Arabic, Dari, Kyrgyz, Bengali, Swahili, Russian, French, English and Portuguese,” said the spiritual leader.

The standard curriculum throughout the network will be International Baccalaureate and five optional themes, including comparative government and free market economies, will be added.

“We believe this developing academics network, as a single coherent institution, though geographically dispersed, will be highly coordinated. Our academics network will foster a lively sense of world awareness among all its students,” he said.

CM Kiran Kumar Reddy said that the academy was another feather in the cap of the state and praised the atmosphere that it would provide for overall development. Appreciating the academy’s equal focus on extra curricular activities, the CM stressed that it was very important to inculcate sportsman spirit among children so that they would learn to take both victory and failure in their stride.
Admin

Post by Admin »

-------

Admin

Post by Admin »

The India Jamat celebrate the arrival of their Imam-e-Zaman in September 2013 for religious work.

Admin

Post by Admin »

Admin

Post by Admin »

Official Visit of H.E. The Aga Khan to India (17-28 Sept, 2013)
MEAphotogallery

Now this link has 22 photos from the India visit

http://www.flickr.com/photos/meaindia/s ... 5583445445
Admin

Post by Admin »

Several videos of the 2013 India visit can be found on

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... 11.youtube.
Admin

Post by Admin »

Mumbai preparations for Didar

Admin

Post by Admin »

Opening of the Aga Khan Academy Hyderabad

Video here [copy paste link in your browser]

bharatchannels.com/zee-hindi-news/the-aga-khan-academy-hyderabad-officially-inaugurated-by-the-ap-chief-minister-video_bfae060cb.html
Admin

Post by Admin »

A prince, a palace and a meal fit for a king
Mumbai Mirror | Sep 24, 2013, 01.38 AM IST
mumbaimirror.com/columns/mumbai-001/A-prince-a-palace-and-a-meal-fit-for-a-king/articleshow/22954172.cms

A prince, a palace and a meal fit for a king

Maharashtra Governor K Sankaranarayanan hosted spiritual leader and philanthropist Prince Aga Khan IV, who is on a 12-day official visit to India with his daughter Princess Zahra Aga Khan. Though Khan wouldn't have found a sight in Mumbai to rival Delhi's Humanyun's Tomb, which he inaugurated following its painstaking restoration, the good governor ensured the prince had a feast for his stomach. Invitees, including women and child welfare minister Varsha Gaikwad, industrialists Harsh Goenka and Ajay Piramal, High Court Chief Justice Mohit Shah, and MLA Amin Patel could not stop raving about the kheema dum biryani and the Kerala-style mutton that were centrepiece of the sumptuous seven-course dinner
Indigo

Shukranlillah wal humdulillah

Post by Indigo »

Hazar Imam departed from the Taj Palace Hotel today at 10:15am for the airport. He was looking very happy and empyrean as He shifted closer to the untinted window and waved goodbye lovingly to His murids who were waiting by the roadside.
Admin

Post by Admin »

Interview of H.H. The Aga Khan by Ranjan Roy

timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/stoi/all-that-matters/Civil-society-has-to-be-driven-by-competence-as-well-as-ethics-Aga-Khan/articleshow/23230809.cms

Civil society has to be driven by competence as well as ethics: Aga Khan - Ranjan Roy, TNN | Sep 29, 2013, 03.58 AM IST

The Aga Khan has often been counted among the world's richest men — his personal fortune is estimated by Forbes at about $800m — and he is known to keep the company of famous people. But rarely are his conversations about profits or bottom lines. Instead, the spiritual head of the Ismailiya sect, who bridges the divide between spiritual and material worlds with ease, likes to dwell on the changing nature of civil society, future leaders and the need for ethics in modernizing societies. In an interview with Ranjan Roy during his recent visit to Hyderabad to inaugurate Aga Khan Academy, part of his global network of not-for-profit schools, the 76-year-old spelt out his vision.

You want ethics to be an integral part of school curriculums?

When you are teaching ethics as a subject, you teach it as a continuum of all subjects. Whether you are teaching ethics in terms of history, science or communication, it becomes the premise on which you are trying to educate young men and women. Children get an understanding about the relationship between what they are learning and the ethics of what they are learning.

And you want free-market economics and comparative government to be taught to young children?

I am worried about countries which have inherited economic systems and the time it takes them to turn those around. Here I am talking about the former Soviet bloc countries where it has taken much, much more time — more than anybody had expected — for them to transform into pro-liberal productive economies. If you have a society which is regulated for 50 years where the individual is taught by the government about what is right and wrong, he can't be creative and think for himself.

You talk about ethics and ethical service in everyday life. What exactly is the latter?

Ethical service I would say is a vehicle that is available to support civil society. Civil society has to be driven first by competence. Secondly, it has to be driven by ethical behaviour because otherwise it would leave itself vulnerable to attacks. I think because of an increased dependence on technology we are moving more and more towards being individualistic rather than becoming integrated with society.

Do individuals increasingly lack an ethical compass?

Which is why most freedoms go past a certain set of limits. Freedom has been taken to a point where unethical behaviour has become acceptable. That is what I am apprehensive about and we see it many parts of the world. That kind of freedom enables the individual to behave in ways that are unhelpful to society, to its institutions. You can see it the banking world, you see it in the media world, and you can see it in social relations.

Apart from being ethical, what attributes should define an ideal high school graduate from your global school network?

We could hopefully create young children who could go to any national or foreign university. They would be at a minimum trilingual and would have had life experience in at least two countries if not more. We will be talking to faculty members whose interest could be stimulated by moving from one country to another or there could be fellowships.

How will you continue to widen your academies and schools?

I have turned the whole thing around and I have dropped it in the lap of our financial people. I told them, look guys you better start thinking about the future of society, you can't go on indefinitely looking at profits and giving yourself dividends. We are looking to see whether we can create a financial vehicle which is located somewhere between what I would call social philanthropy and capitalist financial institutions. If it does work, it will support health-care, education, etc.
Admin

Post by Admin »

http://www.jagranjosh.com/current-affai ... 80608773-1

Published on: 01-OCT-2013

Aga Khan, a Swiss-Born Philanthropist and Muslim Spiritual Leader Visited India

Aga Khan, a Swiss-Born Philanthropist and Muslim Spiritual Leader visited India from 17 to 29 September 2013. During the visit in New Delhi, Aga Khan met President of India Pranab Mukharji, Vice-President of India Hamid Ansari and Prime Minister of India Manmohan Singh.

Highlights of the Visit

• During the official visit, Aga Khan the unveiled restored Humayun’s Tomb in New Delhi on 18 September 2013. The task of restoration was done by the Aga Khan Trust for Culture, in partnership with the Archaeological Survey of India, and with the support of the Sir Dorabji Tata Trust. The restoration work took place on the public private partnership (PPP) model and it is first of its kind on the India’s heritage site. The project was funded primarily by the Aga Khan Trust.

• During the visit, Aga Khan Academy Hyderabad, which is the new non-profit school on 100 acre campus, was inaugurated on 20 September 2013 by the Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh N Kiran Kumar Reddy in the presence of Aga Khan, the founder and chairman of Aga Khan Development Network.

• He was also visited the cities of Hyderabad and Mumbai, where Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN) is involved in various flagship development projects.

About Aga Khan

Aga Khan, a Swiss-Born Philanthropist and Muslim Spiritual Leader was born on 13 December 1936 in Geneva.

He graduated from Harvard University in 1959 with a BA Honors Degree in Islamic history.

Aga Khan, the Chairman of the Aga Khan Development Network, became Imam (spiritual leader) of the Shia Imami Ismaili Muslims on 11July 1957 at the age of 20, succeeding his grandfather, Sir Sultan Mahomed Shah Aga Khan.

Who: Aga Khan

Where: India

What: Aga Khan Visit to India

When: 17 to 29 September 2013