Engagement rituals in UK

Discussion on R&R from all regions
saahild

Engagement rituals in UK

Post by saahild »

YAM all,

I shall be proposing to my girlfriend of 3 and a half years very soon, and am quite sure she will say yes but the problem is, well we are both Ismailies in the UK and are unsure what that entails in terms of what we are supposed to do in JK for the engagement.

We do not plan to get married until we have both finished our education, but intend to declare our intentions formally so the parents and Jamat are aware and there is no idle talk.

I was under the impression that I'd ask, she'd say yes, give her a ring and we're engaged but I'm pretty sure it doesn't work like that!

Any guidance on this?

Thank you in advance
agakhani

Post by agakhani »

If you can afford:-
Give a big party to your all Ismailis friends and your close relatives and let them know that you and your girlfriend like each other and make announcement of your engagement and give her a nice ring in presence of these peoples, invite Mukhi Saheb and Kamadia saheb and few other leaders of the jamat in that party that way they also know about your engagement.
If you can not afford the expense:-
Tell your friends, yours and your's girlfriend's close relatives about your intention for engagement and marriage after your graduatuion and go to Mukhi/Kamadia saheb and inform them about same intention they will sure give you du'a ashish this way leaders of the jamat also know and this will save you money.
Whatever way you chose both way will stop ideal talk and any gossip about your relationship with your girlfriend. Good Luck.