Al-Nashir Jamal - Knight Commander of the Order of the Civil

Biographies, Role Models etc...
Admin

Al-Nashir Jamal - Knight Commander of the Order of the Civil

Post by Admin »

REGIONAL ISSUES & NEWS

Pakistan

"On behalf of King Juan Carlos of Spain, the country's ambassador to Pakistan, Gonzalo Maria Quintero Saravia, conferred the 'Knight Commander of the Order of the Civil Merit' on Al-Nashir Jamal, the outgoing chief executive officer of the Aga Khan Foundation-Pakistan ," reports Dawn . "Mr Saravia said the work carried out by Mr Jamal during his tenure as the Aga Khan Foundation 's chief was an example of how international cooperation could be a real instrument, both in the development of local communities and in achieving understanding between different cultures," the newspaper notes. The Spanish embassy in Islamabad issued a press release on the occasion.

Dawn

Spanish order of merit for outgoing AKF chief

On behalf of King Juan Carlos of Spain, the country’s Ambassador to Pakistan, Gonzalo Maria Quintero Saravia on Thursday conferred the “Knight Commander of the Order of the Civil Merit” on Al-Nashir Jamal, the outgoing Chief Executive Officer of the Aga Khan Foundation-Pakistan. The order was established in 1926 by King Alfonso XIII to recognise “civic virtues of those in the service of the state as well as extraordinary services rendered to the Kingdom of Spain by foreign nationals.” The award was conferred at a ceremony held at the Spanish Embassy in Islamabad. Mr. Saravia said the work carried out by Mr. Jamal during his tenure as the Aga Khan Foundation’s Chief was an example of how international cooperation could be a real instrument, both in the development of local communities and in achieving understanding between different cultures.

http://www.dawn.com/wps/wcm/connect/daw ... -chief-620

Business Recorder

Aga Khan Foundation CEO conferred award

ISLAMABAD (February 26 2010): The Spanish Ambassador in Pakistan Gonzalo Maria Quintero on behalf of King Juan Carlos of Spain conferred on Al-Nashir Jamal, the outgoing Chief Executive Officer of the Aga Khan Foundation (Pakistan), the prestigious award of the "Knight Commander of the Order of the Civil Merit".

King has been pleased to bestow the award on Al-Nashir Jamal who from now on will be addressed as Ilustrisimo Senor Al-Nashir Jamal, said a press release. Speaking at a ceremony held in this connection at the Spanish Embassy on Thursday, the ambassador said the work carried out by Ilustrisimo Senor Al-Nashir Jamal during his tenure as the CEO is an example of how international co-operation can be a real instrument both in the development of local communities, and in achieving understanding between different cultures.

The importance of the Aga Khan Foundation is internationally known and valued; and its work in Pakistan should be specially awarded, he added. Expressing his views on the award, Jamal said "I am deeply humbled by this great honour conferred on me by the King and I am very grateful to the Minister of Foreign Affairs & Co-operation along with Saravia for this very kind gesture.

However, this recognition would not have been possible had it not been for my association with the Aga Khan Foundation and its work in Pakistan. Therefore, in all humility, I accept and dedicate this honour to the thousands of staff and volunteers involved with the Aga Khan Development Network".-PR

Copyright Business Recorder, 2010

http://www.brecorder.com/index.php?id=1 ... =&supDate=

As we understand it, this has a number of firsts:

- First ever Ismaili to be conferred a Knighthood by the King of Spain; and

- the first British Columbian to be Knighted by the King of Spain (& amongst a handful in Canada)