BRIDGE-BUILDING AND OUTREACH ACTIVITIES

Any Institutional activities in the world
Admin

Post by Admin »

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2017/07/01/a ... canada-day

News Edmonton
A taste of Canada Day

Dustin Cook

First posted: Saturday, July 01, 2017 06:52 PM MDT | Updated: Saturday, July 01, 2017 07:03 PM MDT

Canada Day

Canadians draped in red and white were out in full force Saturday to celebrate the country's 150th birthday in Edmonton.

The sesquicentennial celebrations were marked by a full day of events across the city including at Edmonton City Hall and the Alberta legislature grounds.

Festivities at the legislature started bright and early at 7 a.m. with a Canada Day Road Race around the legislature grounds and ends with a bang — a fireworks show in the River Valley.

The morning pancake breakfast hosted by the Aga Khan Council for Edmonton saw many dignitaries help flipping batter – including Edmonton Mayor Don Iveson and Alberta Premier Rachel Notley – for the many hungry residents.

This led into a citizenship ceremony seeing 47 residents pledging the oath of allegiance and officially becoming Canadian citizens. Many other ceremonies happened across the country welcoming new citizens into the diverse landscape of Canada.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

21st Annual Ismaili Muslim Stampede Breakfast at the Calgary Jamatkhana

When: Saturday, July 8 from 7:30 to 11 am
Where: The Ismaili Muslim Jamatkhana and Centre – 1128 45th Avenue NE

This year’s entry is titled, “Our Canada: Our Land of Opportunity.” Using iconic Canadian symbols, such as the Maple Leaf, the Ismaili Muslim entry pays tribute to pluralism (when small groups within a larger society maintain their unique cultural identities), giving back to the community, and compassion for the less fortunate.

https://ismailimail.wordpress.com/2017/ ... amatkhana/
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Dallas-Fort Worth Muslim community preps 100,000 meals for Harvey victims

CARROLLTON — Fourteen-year-old Sarah Ebrahim had never before seen the type of destruction that Harvey caused in Houston.

But once the Dallas youth saw it, she felt inspired to do something to help.

On Sunday, she got her chance. Sarah joined hundreds of others from North Texas' Ismaili Muslim community who put together 100,000 meals destined for those affected by the devastating storm.

"This is just really different because nothing like this has happened in my life," Sarah said. "It's good to be apart of it and be able to be an impact to families that have been in Harvey."

More...
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/harvey/ ... ey-victims
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Building bridges

BUILDING bridges and removing walls characterise our times, despite some gaps. Enormous efforts are being made by various organisations and individuals to help build bridges among communities and cultures, notwithstanding the thesis of clash of civilisations.

It is time to remove walls that obstruct human communication, flow of information, knowledge and wisdom from crossing borders and boundaries. The times are gone when communities were cocooned in their villages or towns. My parents’ generation, for example, hardly saw any city, let alone another country. Today, I, like many others, have travelled to countless cities and more than two dozen countries. My son, in his 30s, has so far travelled to double the number of countries that I have visited, and he is half my age. His children may travel even beyond the limits of the earth.

If such is the speed of journeys across countries and continents, what does this mean in terms of our way of looking at the world and our attitude towards its people? Could we still cherish our self-centred, self-righteous, and narcissist attitudes that helped us survive in small ‘ponds’ while we today swim in big ‘oceans’? What does the spirit of our time (zeitgeist) demand?

In my view, in order to not just survive, but thrive today, we need to build bridges, across frontiers, languages, cultures and perspectives. We need to learn to live with, rather than live away from, the ‘difference’ with the ‘other’. The attitude of bridge building is an appropriate response to, and skill for, living with difference.

More...
https://www.dawn.com/news/1359283

Adoption of Brampton Northampton Park by Canadian Ismaili Muslim Community

– By Alauddin Hemraj

pdf file:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B56RSp ... ocU1j/view
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

The Kennesaw State University Department of Architecture, in collaboration with the Aga Khan Council for the Southeastern United States, presents its first lecture of the series, “Diversity and Pluralism in Architecture.”

Please join us for Professor Hasan-Uddin Kahn’s lecture “At the Cutting Edge: A Retro-Prospective of the Aga Khan Award for Architecture.” Prof. Kahn is the Distinguished Professor of Architecture & Historic Preservation at Roger Williams University.

More...

https://www.aiaatl.org/events/aga-khan- ... e-lecture/
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Supporting an End to Global Poverty

The Atlanta Retailers Association and Circle K Atlanta participated in the city’s Partnership Walk, which raised more than $320,000 for the Aga Khan Foundation.

October 13, 2017

​ATLANTA – On September 17, Atlanta residents joined the Atlanta Retailers Association (ARA) and Circle K Atlanta to help end global poverty as part of The Partnership Walk Atlanta, which supports the work of the Aga Khan Foundation. The walk raised more than $320,000 for the foundation’s goal of improving education, business opportunities and health care for people living in poverty in Africa and Asia.

“It’s the charity of choice for the ARA and the National Alliance of Trade Associations, as well as for many individuals and corporations because the Aga Khan Foundation is a non-denominational, non-political organization working to alleviate global poverty, which is the root cause of all the evils in civil society,” Afroz “Allen” Painter, president/CEO of Rocket Fuels LLC and a member of the NACS government relations committee, told NACS Daily. Painter has been an ardent supporter of Aga Khan’s work for years. “This is something very dear to our hearts because the foundation goes where help is needed most, regardless of race, religion or creed.”

For Circle K Atlanta, the foundation’s work in education and literacy touched their hearts and spurred them to create a team to walk this year in addition to raising funds. Amin Chitalwala, CEO of Circle K Atlanta, said that his connection to Aga Khan goes back to his birth—he was born in a foundation maternity home in Hyderabad, Pakistan. Over the years, he has seen many positive developments through the foundation’s work.

This year, the efforts of the Circle K team surpassed its goal of $250,000 to reach $320,527. As the company’s website promoting the event put it: “Circle K is dedicated to social justice, and so is our community, our friends, our allies that make such a commitment manifest into hope for others.”

http://www.nacsonline.com/Media/Daily/P ... 13174.aspx
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Fighting Prostate Cancer: Aga Khan High School organises awareness run in Old Kampala

VIDEO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SST8bCOL5H4

Students of the Aga Khan High school organised a run in which they participated with the residents of Kakajjo village in Old Kampala. The activity was aimed at creating awareness among the residents about prostate cancer which attacks 37 men in every 100,000. Proceeds from the run will go the Uganda cancer institute.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

More than 500 Ismaili Muslims donate 80,000 Thanksgiving meals to Atlantans in need

An estimated 755,400 people in metro Atlanta and north Georgia turn to food pantries and meal service programs to feed themselves and their families each year, according to national nonprofit Feeding America.

» RELATED: 5 places your kid can volunteer this Thanksgiving in Atlanta

To combat the hunger crisis in the region and provide warm, healthy meals to families in need this Thanksgiving, more than 500 Ismaili Muslims ages 8 and older came together Sunday at their house of prayer in Norcross to assemble 80,000 meals.

http://www.ajc.com/news/local/more-than ... UlATkQrhL/

hajik123"We can nurture bonds of confidence across different peoples and unique individuals, welcoming the growing diversity of our world, even in matters of faith, as a gift of the Divine."
- His Highness the Aga Khan

Our #IsmailiChoir participated in the annual Interfaith Thanksgiving Service on behalf of the #SouthwestIsmailiCouncil and #IsmailiJamatKhana in a beautiful, serene setting at the St. Laurence Catholic Church
#Ismaili #AgaKhan #OneHeart #OneVoice #SouthwestIsmailiBand #DiamondJubilee #Sugarland @houston_insta #weareone

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbxBMnZhjLS/
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Local interfaith communities unite in gathering of thanksgiving

Excerpt:

Murad Ajani, president of the Ismaili Council for the Southwestern United States, read "We Are One" By His Highness the Aga Khan.

"In an increasingly cosmopolitan world, it is essential that we live by a 'cosmopolitan ethic,' one that addresses the age-old need to balance the particular and the universal, to honor both human rights and social duties, to advance personal freedom and to accept human responsibility," Desai read. "It is in that spirit that we can nurture bonds of confidence across different peoples and unique individuals, welcoming the growing diversity of our world, even in matters of faith, as a gift of the divine."

Aga Khan is the current Imam of Nizari Ismailism, a denomination of Isma'ilism within Shia Islam.

Speakers included representatives from Congregation Beth El, Christ Chugurch UMC, St. Laurence Catholic Church, First Unitarian Universalist, Maryam Mosque of the Islamic Society of Greater Houston, Ismaili Jamatkhana and Center, Bahá'í Faith, First United Methodist, Bapas Hindu Temple, New Hope Lutheran, St. Martin's Lutheran Church and Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

More...
http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/sugar ... 386223.php
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Local girl, volunteers pack bags for homeless children

Prior Lake girl Sanya Pirani and more than 40 volunteers helped pack bags with school supplies and toys for homeless children as a Christmas gift on Dec. 2.

Pirani and local community partners had sewed the 500 bags themselves. The bags will be delivered to the Sharing and Caring Homeless Shelter in Minneapolis on Dec. 19.

Other donations can be made to www.sanyashopeforchildren.org. Checks addressed to Sanya's Hope For Children are also accepted, with all proceeds going toward impoverished children.

http://www.swnewsmedia.com/prior_lake_a ... 5d08d.html
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Southeast Jamat assembles 80,000 meals to fight hunger

VIDEO:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSMei8nmxBQ

With the spirit of Thanksgiving, more than 500 Ismaili volunteers, aged eight years and above, gathered at the Atlanta Northeast Jamatkhana to fight hunger and food insecurity in metro-Atlanta. The Ismaili Council for the Southeastern United States, in partnership with the Atlanta Community Food Bank (ACFB) and Feeding Children Everywhere, organized the 60 for 60: I-CERV Day of Service, with the goal of preparing 60,000 meals in commemoration of Mawlana Hazar Imam’s Diamond Jubilee.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Reston celebrates Martin Luther King with day of community service

Excerpt:

While plenty of volunteers participated on their own or as a family, some joined in on the day of service as part of a larger group.

About 20 people, including adults, teenagers, and children, came from the Ismaili Community Engaged-in Responsible Volunteering (I-CERV) to help sort toys for The Closet.

I-CERV is a national nonprofit organization that organizes volunteer opportunities through local affiliates for the Ismaili Muslim community.

“On Martin Luther King weekend, it is important for us as Ismaili Muslims to reflect on the example of Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. as it resonates with the values and ethics of our faith, which teach service to community,” I-CERV communications manager Raheem Haji said.

More...
http://www.fairfaxtimes.com/articles/re ... 2f76d.html

Volunteers pack food to fight global hunger - WKOW 27: Madison, WI Breaking News, Weather and Sports

MILWAUKEE (WISN) -- Volunteers helped pack meals for worldwide hunger relief.

Members of the Ismaili community put together 20,000 meals in Milwaukee on Saturday. The food will then be distributed to areas in need across the globe. It's part of the group's 60 for 60 Initiative -- giving 60 hours of service outside the Ismaili community.

"We're a small community in Milwaukee but globally we hope to have a large impact because service to others and the outside community is one of our values," said Aliya Manjee, outreach coordinator for the Ismaili community.

They raised $4,000 for the food packs -- double their initial goal.

http://www.wkow.com/story/37312580/2018 ... bal-hunger
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

1st Gilgit Baltistan Film Festival 2018

Gilgit Baltistan 1st Karakorum International Mountain Film Festival has received an incredibly positive response organized by Pakistan Youth Outreach Foundation in collaboration with UNDP (United Nation Development program Pakistan).

The audience enthralled with the world-class quality of the short documentaries and featured films submitted by international filmmakers, the festival charm was the presence of least known, but brave mountaineers from Gilgit Baltistan, the tales of the extraordinary expeditions and adventures of their journey inspired the audience particularly youth. The programme was commenced with the recitation of Quran and National Anthem was sung by Sohail Ahmed. Festival goers participated in the photography exhibition and panel discussion over climate change and its impact on socio-economic life of the region.

More..
http://www.pakistanyouthoutreach.com/1s ... ival-2018/
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Plano Jamatkhana Opens its Doors to the the Community

The Ismaili Jamatkhana, Plano hosted an interfaith event, where people of all religions were invited to learn more about the Ismaili Muslim community to bridge the gap with the greater Plano community.

Three year-old Avra Kuriachan’s fingers skimmed the geometric patterns embedded in the architecture of the Ismaili Jamatkhana, Plano. It’s a building more familiar than foreign to her, even though it’s not the Jamatkhana she normally attends. In her frothy pink dress, she roamed the lobby as if it were a palace, oblivious to the bustle around her. To her, the diversity of faces and backgrounds intermingling in such a setting was nothing short of normal. As it should be.

The Ismaili Jamatkhana, Plano hosted an interfaith event, where people of all religions were invited to learn more about the Ismaili Muslim community to bridge the gap with the greater Plano community. The event entertained approximately 150 individuals and featured tours, a performance by the Ismaili Muslim Youth Choir, and a visit from Plano Mayor Harry LaRosiliere.

This Jamatkhana in Plano has been designated as a space for creating an energy of camaraderie within the local community,” said Samina Hooda, the Communications Coordinator for the Aga Khan Council for the Central US, “and to have schools and churches and other organizations come in informally and understand who we are.”

Some visitors, like Dallas-native Jennifer Hernandez were anxious before coming, yet left with an appreciation for the building and the people inside it. “It was a little intimidating at first,” said Jennifer, who came with an Ismaili friend. “I didn't know what to do, what to expect, or what to wear, but it all just kind of settled once I was inside. Everybody seems nice, welcoming.”

Nizar Didarali, President of the Aga Khan Council for the Central United States was delighted to find that visitors reciprocated the warmth. “It was an amazing experience as I walked in,” he said. “I was pleasantly surprised that we had so many citizens of Plano who are interested to come and learn about this space.”

In his comments to the audience, Mayor LaRosiliere mentioned the values of diversity and pluralism as key to his second term. Having already come to Plano Jamatkhana in the past, the Mayor remarked that the visit reminded him of coming home. “Often when you walk into spiritual centers, there’s a sense of rigidness and structure, but here it just feels free-flowing,” he said. “There’s a sense of warmth and acceptance I feel when I come here, a sense of belonging immediately.”

Tina Ali Mohammad, Choir Director and Avra’s mother, applied the idea of belonging, to the musical performance by creating a multilingual, multicultural medley filled with phrases of geets in Sanskrit and portions of “Amazing Grace.” While heightened social tensions may lead some to downplay the role their faith, Ali Mohammad said she took this open house as an opportunity to express the pride she feels as an American Muslim. “There was a lot of pressure to conform and kind of downplay our culture and our background. I felt like I wanted to tell everybody –– and especially the Choir –– that it’s OK to be Muslim,” she said.

The Ismaili Jamathana, Plano Kamadia Saheb Saleem Hirani said he sees the Youth Choir as one example of how the youth can help build a more cohesive relationship between Ismaili Muslims and the surrounding communities. “I would love to have our youth bring their classmates. That would be a big success,” he said. “When our youth take over, that’s when this whole thing will change from meeting the mayor to being a part of the community that we live in.”

Visitor and software engineer Medrick Yhap, 52, also advocated the importance of outreach for the prosperity of the community as a whole. “I think we need to do more outreach,” he noted. “If I don’t know about you and you don’t know about me, what do we really have as a community? We don't have a community.”

According to President Didarali, the community hopes to host similar events at least twice a year to give the Jamat the opportunity to forge connections with our neighbors that continue to grow.

"Race, color, does not mean everything,” President Didarali said. “We are all humans. We are all here for a common purpose. We hope we can create more friends and become one community.”

https://the.ismaili/plano-jamatkhana-op ... -community
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Award-winning i-CERV, Boston Jamatkhana Volunteers participate in commemorating Martin Luther King Jr. Day

Members of the Boston Ismaili community members participated in an i-CERV (http://www.icerv.org) service activity with Boston Cares to commemorate Martin Luther King Jr. Day on January 15, 2018 at Boston Latin School. The activity was organized by Inara Pirani.

Members created ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) learning tools for immigrant and refugee families learning English and preparing for the citizenship exam.

See photos of members creating ESOL journals and posing with Boston Mayor Marty Walsh.

https://ismailimail.wordpress.com/2018/ ... ng-jr-day/
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Despite the crazy weather in Edmonton, we had some committed volunteers at the Edmonton Food Bank this weekend clocking in their Ismaili #CIVIC150 hours. #Canada150 #QualityOfLife #DiamondJubilee

https://www.facebook.com/civic150/posts/596456184036790
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Mayor Joe Zimmerman honored the Ismaili Jamatkhana and Center and its volunteers with a City of Sugar Land Proclamation at the Sugar Land City Council meeting on Tuesday, February 6, 2018, and personally thanked the Ismaili community for its outreach and volunteer efforts to better the City. #AgaKhan #DiamondJubilee #IJKC #iCerv #Volunteerism

https://www.facebook.com/IJKCHouston/po ... 0913622511
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Last night was an evening of beautiful music in the Hudspeth Auditorium as people from across Houston gathered for "Celebratory Sounds of the Abrahamic Faiths." Musicians from Houston Hillel, the Holy Ghost Catholic Church Choir and Ismaili Jamatkhana performed as part of a free Master of Liberal Studies public class session. Our thanks to these talented musicians and to everyone who helped make the evening a success! mls.rice.edu

https://www.facebook.com/RiceMLS/posts/2117191704962903
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Thank you to all who attended the Meadowvale JK Meals for Change event as a part of Ismaili #CIVIC150. A total of 110 volunteers came together to pack and distribute food bags and worked towards completing hours for our pledge of 1 Million Hours for Canada. #canada150 #diamondjubilee #proudtobeacanadianismaili #volunteering Ismaili Civic150

https://www.facebook.com/TheIsmailiOnta ... 2586305832
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Ismaili Muslim Community leading blood drive

The Ismaili Muslim Community of Durham Region has partnered with Canadian Blood Services to help ensure that blood is available to hospital patients in need.

As part of their Civic 150 initiative, the Ismaili Muslim Community has adopted the Oshawa blood donor clinic and committed to recruit new donors and fill appointments to help collect more than 20 donations at the clinic.

“We are very excited about making a real difference in the lives of Canadian hospital patients,” says Aliya Kassam Premji. “This year, 100,000 new blood donors are needed across Canada to meet patient needs – including 3,000 needed right here in our community.”

More..
http://oshawaexpress.ca/ismaili-muslim- ... ood-drive/
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Celebrate Navroz: A Cultural Exploration

March 19, 2018, 10:00 am at Children's Museum of Atlanta , 275 Centennial Olympic Park Dr NW, Atlanta, GA 30313, United States
Price: 12.95
Join the volunteers from the Ismali Muslim Community in celebrating the festival of Navroz at the Children's Museum of Atlanta through music and crafts. Families can also learn about the Persian and Central Asian cultures through stories and art from the Aga Khan Museum.

· Ismali Choir

11 a.m. and 1 p.m.

Members for the Ismali Choir will perform traditional songs in honor of Navroz.

· Navroz Storytime

Noon and 2 p.m.

“An Afghan Navroz” by Nissa Kara will share the story of Ariana and Jamil who are celebrating the Persian New Year, Navroz in Afghanistan.

· Navroz Celebration Scarf Dance

http://events.accessatlanta.com/event/c ... yz5qaqakpa
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Aliya Kassam Premji and group of 15 Ismaili Muslims Volunteering for Canadian Blood Services

https://globalnews.ca/video/4069176/can ... oss-Canada
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Give Life By Donating Blood in the Name of Ismaili – Mississauga

Poster at:

https://ismailimail.wordpress.com/2018/ ... ssissauga/
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Ismaili Muslim Community Exceeds Its Pledge of One Million Hours of Service for Canada.

March 21, 2018 – The Shia Ismaili Muslim community in Canada today will announce that it has surpassed its pledge to volunteer one million hours of service for Canada. The statement, to be made today in the presence of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, commemorates Canada’s 150th anniversary of confederation and the Diamond Jubilee of His Highness the Aga Khan -
celebrating sixty years of his spiritual leadership of the Ismaili Muslim community worldwide.

The one million-hour pledge is the cornerstone of the Ismaili CIVIC 150 initiative, rooted in the community’s commitment to improving the quality of life of all Canadians.

“Our community’s one million hours of service is a demonstration of Ismaili Muslims’ enduring commitment to Canada,” offers Malik Talib, President of the Ismaili Council for Canada. “In communities across the country, Ismailis volunteered as mentors and coaches to build the next generation’s skills. Ismailis also delivered employment and settlement support services to new Canadians, provided care for the elderly, supported anti-poverty initiatives, and maintained natural and public spaces. Volunteerism and service to the broader community are both central to Ismaili and Canadian values, and the Ismaili
CIVIC 150 initiative is a reflection of that.”

As of March 21, 2018, the Ismaili community volunteered a total of 1,127,549 hours of service across the country. Partners included organizations such as Habitat for Humanity, Terry Fox Foundation, the Food Bank, Canadian Blood Services, amongst many others.

As part of Ismaili CIVIC 150, members of the community across the country marked the formal launch of the initiative by engaging in a national day of service on September 17, 2017 - Ismaili CIVIC Day. Over the course of the year, members of the community, young and old, engaged in additional acts of service, individually and collectively, to contribute to the one million-hour pledge.

The national milestone exceeding one million hours will be revealed at a special event to be held today at the Ismaili Centre, Toronto celebrating Nawruz, the first day of Spring and the new year for millions of Muslim communities worldwide. Prime Minister Trudeau is expected to join members of various local
communities, not-for-profit Ismaili CIVIC 150 partner organizations and volunteers to commemorate the special occasion around the Nawruz themes of renewal, hope and optimism.

The symmetry between Canadian and Ismaili Muslim values of voluntary service were highlighted by His Highness the Aga Khan in his historic address to the joint session of Parliament in Canada on February 27, 2014:

“I have been impressed by recent studies showing the activity of voluntary institutions and not-for-profit organizations in Canada to be among the highest in the world. This Canadian spirit resonates with a cherished principle in Shia Ismaili culture — the importance of contributing one’s individual energies on a
voluntary basis to improving the lives of others. This is not a matter of philanthropy, but rather of selffulfillment — ‘enlightened self-fulfillment.’”

To celebrate and honour the community’s devotion to Canada, Ismaili CIVIC 150 will continue as an annual legacy initiative and as part of the Shia Ismaili community’s responsibility and commitment to Canada.

For more information, please contact:
Rahim Talib
rahim.talib@iicanada.net
604-710-7865

Canadian Ismaili community surpasses pledge of 1 million service hours

http://dailyhive.com/toronto/canada-ism ... vice-hours

Ismaili community exceeds pledged one million hours of service in just over six months

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news ... six-months
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Local Ismaili Muslim Community partners with Canadian Blood Services for donation drive

As part of their Civic 150 initiative they have organized a group donation at the Barrie blood donor clinic

The Ismaili Muslim Community of Barrie has partnered with Canadian Blood Services to help ensure that lifesaving blood products are available to hospital patients in need.

As part of their dedication to their community and as part of their Civic 150 initiative, they have organized a group donation at the Barrie blood donor clinic and committed to recruit new donors and fill appointments to help collect 32 blood donations at the clinic.

“We are very excited about making a real difference in the lives of Canadian hospital patients,” says Nadir Prasla, lead of the Civic 150 Barrie team. “This year, 100,000 new blood donors are needed across Canada to meet patient needs – including 1200 needed right here in our community. We are hoping that we can make a real difference in the lives of our community by volunteering 1 million service hours across Canada, and by spending some of those service hours donating blood, we are helping to save lives.”

More...
https://www.barrietoday.com/local-news/ ... ive-882780
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

The Institute for Canadian Citizenship welcomes 50 new Canadians

Tasneem Rahim, a volunteer with Ismaili Jamatkhana, said the group of new Canadians was brought together with other members of the community to talk about what it means to be Canadian.

“We talk about fairness, diversity and equity, so we really start that conversation with what aligns to our values, we think about compassion and care, we look at what it means to be Canadian and the security we offer,” said Rahim “We talk about why diversity is so important and what really defines resilient communities, which is pluralism, strength and community.”

Co-founders and co-chairs of the Institute for Canadian Citizenship, Gov. Gen. Adrienne Clarkson, John Ralston Saul, Mayor Naheed Nenshi and Fauzia Lalani, president of the Ismaili Council for the Prairies, addressed the new Canadians.

More...
http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-new ... -canadians
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Qaqlasht festival features cultural shows, traditional games

CHITRAL: The four-day Qaqlasht festival concluded with much funfair and colourful activities at the tourist resort near Booni in Upper Chitral on Sunday.

Held at 8000 feet high tourist resort, the festival was attended a large number of people, tourists and students from different educational institutions. The festival showcased different sports competitions including polo, sports for the physically challenged persons, traditional food stalls, cultural show, tug-of-war, skate shooting, rock climbing, zip-lining marathon race, volleyball, cricket, football, archery and music night.

Games like falcon prey, hockey and other activities like buddy dik, quiz competitions, mushaira and paragliding were also organized. Local poets and artistes participated in mushaira and music programmes.

A grand music night was held last night in which the visitors and tourists were entertained with traditional dances and chorus. The spectators enjoyed music of reed instrument and that of pure Chitrali sitar besides folk dance 'chong righishi' and 'tatali wawali', and 'mamashish'.

Tourism Corporation Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (TCKP), district administration Chitral jointly organised the festival. Sarhad Rural Support Programme, cellular company Telenor, Agha Khan Rural Support Programme, tehsil municipal administration Mastuj sponsored the colourful event.

Jashan-e-Qaqlasht is 2,000 years old festival of the people of Chitral. It is organized with the objective to protect the indigenous Kho culture and to highlight and market it as tourism product so as to attract maximum national and international tourists to the region that could help reduce poverty by providing tourism-related job opportunities to the locals apart from promoting cross-cultural understanding and harmony.

https://www.thenews.com.pk/print/304933 ... onal-games
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Ismaili Muslim community gathering place to open on Lakeline Boulevard in May

Ismaili Jamatkhana Austin, a gathering place for the Ismaili Muslim community in the Austin region, is planned to open at 2401 S. Lakeline Blvd., Cedar Park, in May. Jamatkhanas are places for community engagement through interfaith programs, cultural events, education programs and civic engagement. The Ismaili Jamatkhana Austin will hold events throughout the year for the public and be a place of congregation and prayer for the Ismaili community. 832-922-0579. https://the.ismaili/usa

https://communityimpact.com/local-news/ ... rd-in-may/
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Bosworth and Kaplan visit Ismaili Council clean-up event

North Hempstead Town Supervisor Judi Bosworth and Council Member Anna Kaplan hosted the Ismaili Council for a community clean-up event on April 22 at Whitney Pond Park in Manhasset. The event featured nearly a hundred volunteers from around North Hempstead to take part in the park’s beautification on Earth Day.

https://theislandnow.com/community-news ... -up-event/
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

North Texas' Ismaili Muslim community celebrates end of Ramadan with a donation of 6,000 meals

At an Ismaili Muslim center in Plano, a crowd of volunteers gathered Friday to celebrate the end of Ramadan by enjoying one another's company, sharing a traditional meal -- and doing good work for the larger community.

A few hundred members of North Texas' Ismaili Muslim community gathered at Ismaili Jamatkhana and Center to prepare and pack 1,200 meals to donate. Together with sister centers in Carrollton, Euless and Colleyville, they’ll donate 6,000 meals to mark Eid al-Fitr.

"The month of Ramadan is a month of piety and self-reflection," said Salim Rahimi, a volunteer and community leader. "It's about understanding the gifts that we've been given and what we should be doing for the world at large."

More....

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/plano/2 ... 6000-meals