BRIDGE-BUILDING AND OUTREACH ACTIVITIES

Any Institutional activities in the world
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

upcoming

American Red Cross Public Blood Drive

His Highness Prince Agakhan Shia Imami Ismaili Muslim Community

The American Red Cross is holding a public blood drive at Shia Imami Muslim Community in the American Red Cross Bus, Centre Plaza, 225 Great ...
10:00 a.m. Saturday, May 12, 2012

Red Cross Blood Drive

His Highness Prince Agakhan Shia Imami Ismaili Muslim Community

Donation Types: Blood
10:00 a.m. Saturday, May 12, 2012

http://www.wtov9.com/places/milpitas_hi ... -shia-ima/
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

2012 Ismaili Muslim Stampede Breakfast

You've received a Shaw Photo Share!

Subject: 2012 Ismaili Muslim Stampede Breakfast
Message: 2012 marked the 100th anniversary of the world famous Calgary Stampede. It is also the 27th year of the Ismaili Muslim community's participation in the Stampede Parade, among the largest parades in Canada with up to 400,000 in attendance and an audience of millions across the country and beyond. These pictures are from the 16th annual Ismaili Muslim Stampede Breakfast, held on July 7th 2012 and attended by thousands of Calgarians and many more from abroad.

Among the honoured guests this year were Alberta Premier Alison Redford, City of Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi and Federal Minister Jason Kenney, among others. The opening ceremonies featured the Ismaili choir singing O'Canada and remarks from the Chair of the Calgary Stampede Board, President and CEO of the United Way, Premier Redford and our beloved Mayor Naheed Nenshi.

The breakfast included pancakes, eggs (from shells, not boxes!) and bharazi (an east African dish made of pigeon peas in a coconut based spicy breakfast curry) along with tea and juice. There was live entertainment featuring singer songwriter Lori Kole and Arial recording artist Brent Mcathey and the Chinook County Line Dancers. For the children there were arts and crafts and face painting. Also featured at the breakfast was the 2012 Ismaili Muslim Stampede Float (highlighting work of the United Way of Calgary), which won two prizes this year: Best Overall Entry and Best Western Themed Entry. How wonderful that the best entry and best western entry at the centennial stampede parade was built by Muslims!

Mubarakhi to all those wonderful volunteers who make it happen!

To view your Shaw Photo Share, click the link below, or copy and paste it into your browser's address bar:

http://photoshare.shaw.ca/view/43088892 ... 7144/43088

Related...

http://bcove.me/cc93a2pj

http://ismailimail.wordpress.com/2012/0 ... ilimail%29
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Hundreds of Ismaili volunteers ready to make London Olympic Games a success

A centrepiece of the 2012 Games, London’s iconic Olympic Stadium will welcome 80 000 spectators for tonight’s opening ceremonies. Photo: Shairoz MerchantToday’s opening of the London 2012 Summer Olympic Games marks an historic moment for the city and for modern sport gatherings.

The numbers reflect the sheer scale of the event: Some 10 500 athletes from 204 countries will take part in 26 Olympic sports spread across 34 venues. More than 9 million tickets have been sold to spectators, and an estimated 20 000 members of the media will broadcast the Games around the world.

Get involved:
» Submit photographs of your experience of the Games to the
London Olympics 2012 Photography Project.
» Are volunteering or involved in the Olympic Games in some way?
Email us your story.
Thousands of person-hours have gone into organising and executing these Olympics. In response to a call for volunteers made early on by the London Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games, the Ismaili Volunteer Corps encouraged the Jamat to get involved. Approximately 680 members of the community registered to help in the Olympic effort.

Volunteer Rahim Shamji with members of the British Olympic team. Shamji will be a drummer in the opening ceremony of the London 2012 Olympic Games. Photo: Courtesy of Rahim ShamjiIsmaili drummers and dancers will perform in the opening ceremony, and Ismaili Olympic Ambassadors will spread across London to welcome foreign visitors and guide them through the meandering streets of the city. The community’s vast organisational experience is even being used to co-ordinate logistics for protocol guests.

So what has driven so many people to give their time to be part of London 2012?

“We have an inbuilt ethic for voluntary service,” says Sabrina Nanji, a volunteer responsible for making sure that all the foreign dignitaries, national and international Olympic committees are transported to the correct locations for the next two weeks. “I’m proud to be British so I wanted to get involved.”

A sign welcomes visitors to London’s Olympic Park. Photo: Shairoz MerchantRahim Shamji who will be one of 1 000 drummers in the opening ceremony says “I wanted to be part of the biggest sporting event in the world which represents one community and one world.”

Many volunteers are touched by the chance to meet and connect with so many Londoners of all stripes. Karim Nanji, Deputy Major of the Ismaili Volunteer Corps, is serving as a member of the “Flying Squad” — a mobile unit of Olympic Ambassadors that drops in wherever the crowd of visitors surges: “I have met people from different walks of life with different views of London – it demonstrates how multicultural and diverse our city is”.

“This is an event which goes beyond cultures and religions and re-enforces a common spirit,” says Zahra Jessa, who was selected as an Olympic torch bearer. Sara Nanji, a dancer in the opening ceremony, agrees: “I have met people who are able, and some who are disabled and who fight their disabilities; I have practiced with people from all walks of life who are coming together.” She feels fortunate to be part of the Olympics, with the immense sense of history that surrounds it.

Zahra Jessa runs as a torch bearer in the 2012 London Olympics on 25 July. Photo: Courtesy of Zahra JessaThere is also a keen build up of excitement among the volunteers. Jalil Balolia is looking after the Angolan women’s basketball team. The fluent Portuguese speaker and keen football player (he just dabbles in basketball!) is looking forward to sitting courtside at all of the games: “I really hope the Angolan team progresses!”

Meanwhile, Rahim Shamji can’t wait to see the stadium filled with 80 000 people. He promises that the opening ceremony will have “something for everyone.”

Olympic Ambassador Azmina Boghani agrees — she has seen dress rehearsals for the opening ceremony: “It showcases the best of [what is] British, from the mining communities in the North to the founding of the NHS, to the present day. The light show is spectacular and it will be extremely exciting to see the final product with all the fireworks and special effects!”

Let the games begin!

http://www.theismaili.org/cms/1376/Hund ... -a-success

London Olympics 2012 Photography Project

http://www.theismaili.org/cms/1375/
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Ismaili Walk 2012 for YWCA Cause We Care House

The 2012 Ismaili Walk raises funds for YWCA Metro Vancouver's Cause We Care House—a safe, affordable housing community for low-income single moms and their children in the Downtown Eastside/Strathcona area of Vancouver. ismailiwalk.org

More...

http://www.ywcavan.org/content/Ismaili_ ... House/1624
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Ismaili volunteers included in the 2012 B.C. Seniors Games in Burnaby

Excerpt:

“Our mission was to host the most memorable, inclusive and sustainable Games ever and I believe we are going to achieve that.”

That inclusiveness has included tapping into local multicultural communities, such as the Ismaili community, and local high schools during its volunteer recruitment to achieve an “ethnic and age diversity,” she said.

http://www.newwestnewsleader.com/news/166900016.html
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Ismaili Walk raises $250,000 for local charity

By Frank Luba, The Province

More than $250,000 was raised Sunday by about 1,500 people who got together in Stanley Park for the 21st annual Ismaili Walk.

The previous editions of the five-kilometre, family-friendly stroll through the park organized by the Ismaili Council for B.C. have raised more than $3.8 million.

The money goes to a variety of charities and institutions, with this year’s fundraising focus being the YWCA Cause We Care House — a housing community for low-income single mothers and their children.

The project is being developed in partnership with the City of Vancouver and the Vancouver Public Library, said YWCA Metro Vancouver CEO Janet Austin.

The walk is a major production for the Ismaili community, with food and entertainment making the day-long event a festive celebration — especially when the weather co-operates as it did on Sunday

More....

http://www.canada.com/life/Ismaili+Walk ... story.html
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Ismaili Walk 2012

http://ismailiwalk.akaraisin.com/Common ... 5201&mid=8

Mobina Jaffer's message at the Senate

Ismaili Walk 2012
Hon. Mobina S. B. Jaffer: Honourable senators, on Sunday, September 23, I had the privilege of walking alongside 1,500 British Columbians at the twenty-first annual Ismaili Walk. This year men, women and children from across Vancouver gathered at Lumberman's Arch in Stanley Park where they enjoyed live music, delicious food and a festive atmosphere while supporting an important cause that is very close to my heart.

Twenty per cent of homes in British Columbia are headed by single mothers, half of whom live in poverty. Having spent six years serving as national president of the YWCA, I have worked with many of these women and am very familiar with the exceedingly vulnerable positions in which they are routinely placed. Whether it is deciding between paying the rent or buying groceries, or choosing between staying in an abusive relationship or leaving and living life in poverty, single mothers are forced to make impossible decisions each day.

This year the Ismaili Council for British Columbia partnered with the YWCA Cause We Care House, which is an integrated housing community that is being built to support some of Vancouver's most vulnerable families — single mothers bravely raising children in challenging economic conditions.

The YWCA Cause We Care House will provide safe and affordable housing to help women achieve economic independence by providing program space for much needed medical and employment services, Aboriginal infant development programs and literacy programs.

During this year's walk, we heard from Ms. Janet Austin, the CEO of the YWCA of Vancouver. Ms. Austin spoke of the great work the YWCA continues to do on behalf of single mothers while also shedding light on the vision they share with the Ismaili Muslim community in British Columbia.

The president of the Ismaili Council for British Columbia, Ms. Samira Alibhai, described this vision by stating:

Islam places a great emphasis on the principle of people and institutions coming together to make positive change. This walk is part of our tradition of service, giving back and helping those in need, and helping improve the overall quality of life in the society in which we live by making a meaningful contribution to our local is community.

During the walk we also had the honour of hearing from M.P. Andrew Saxton who delivered a message on behalf of the Right Honourable Prime Minister Harper. In his message, the Prime Minister stated:

Today British Columbians will lace up their sneakers to raise awareness and funds for this great cause. I would like to commend the Ismaili Muslim community for organizing this event, which over the past 21 years has raised more than $3.8 million for community organizations in the Lower Mainland of Vancouver.

Honourable senators, I wish to take this opportunity to congratulate the Ismaili Muslim community, Ms. Alibhai, Ms. Austin and the many volunteers who worked tirelessly to make this year's walk such a great success.

I also wish to congratulate all those who participated in the Ismaili Walk for Women for taking steps to help some of Canada's most vulnerable and marginalized populations

http://www.parl.gc.ca/Content/Sen/Chamb ... 02-e.htm#4
Last edited by kmaherali on Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Breatfast Television: Ismaili Sunset Breakfast

http://www.btcalgary.ca/videos/4328362870001/
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Canada Day 2015: Ismaili Pancake Breakfast

https://ismailimail.wordpress.com/?s=%22canada+day%22
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Farmans on building bridges

"And I want here to express to you how much I support the words which you said, Anil, concerning Ahl-al-Kitab, the People of the Book and I would remind My Jamat that the meaning of Ahl-al-Kitab, the People of the Book, is the acceptance by not only Muslims but non-Muslims of the Unity of God - monotheism - and although you live in a non-Muslim society you live in a society which practises a monotheistic faith and I hope,therefore, that as you grow up in this society, as the younger generation becomes older, you will build bridges with the society, for it is recommended within Islam, and those of you who know the history of Islam will recognize this, that it is said that Muslims should build bridges with people who are of the Book and that is a statement which is made in many circumstances not only in the Hadith but in the Quran itself. Therefore, I hope that as the Jamat establishes itself in Britain you will build bridges with the people of this country because Islam enjoins upon you to build bridges with those who are of the Book, the People of the Book." (London UK, April 24 1985)

"The God to whom they pray is the same as the God to whom the Muslims pray, to whom the Jews pray. Many of the social principles are identical, remind them of this and let them not live with the incorrect impression of images which they receive everyday through all forms of communication and which are totally wrong, because if you do not do this in your daily lives you will not make that social space, those contacts with Australian society, you will not create those bridges and the respect which is necessary for your success and the success of future generations in Australia. Remember also that insofar as other Muslims in Australia can work with you to achieve the same corrective processes, they also should share in this because they also and their future generations will be affected by these incorrect images, so build bridges with them also. "(Sydney, Australia, Jan 3, 1987)

"There has been a tendency in some parts of the Third World when the Imam has said yes you may build bridges, not only to build the bridges but to walk across them. This is not what the Imam has said. I have said, if you seek to build bridges, I have nothing against your building bridges. But I have also said, don't cross them, unless there are special reasons to do so. And today I would like in this final Didar to My spiritual children of Kenya, to give a Farman for the whole of the Jamat of Kenya."(Kisumu, March 17, 1981)

"I hope that in the years ahead, more and more, in Africa, in Asia, in the Industrialized World, we will build bridges to other Muslim communities and to non Muslim communities so that our children, your children are in a position to build those relationships with the societies of their time which will give them a sense of belonging, a sense of participating in the national life of each country that they live in. This to Me is one of the important aspects of life in the next ten to twenty years. That the younger generations should build those relationships which will ensure a strong communication within the societies in which they live.

And within that context of building bridges with other people, remember that your faith is yours. Remember to practise your faith, be regular in the practice of your faith and remember that thinking of Allah is not restricted in time. You may think of your faith when you go to the office, when you come back from the office, when you are in public meetings. Nobody asks you what you are thinking about. You are free to think about your faith any time that you are awake, any time during your lifetime. And I say this to My Jamat in Kenya but also for the Jamat in other parts of the world. Because in Islam remembering is very important and because the pressures of the industrialized society demand more and more of your time. And it is more and more difficult to find the time for every individual, and I know this, to practise his faith regularly as he would wish. And I say this because within Islam remembering is fundamentally important whether it is for a second, a hundredth of a second, an hour. But remember. And if you know your faith, you will find that this is a very fundamental part of the Islamic faith practised by all Muslims alike."(Nairobi, Oct 24, 1986)
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Ismaili community supports international delegations at Los Angeles Special Olympics

Sabreena Merchant

14 September 2015

When the Ismaili Muslim community in the United States was invited to assist with the 2015 Special Olympics World Games in Los Angeles, the Jamat embraced the opportunity. Volunteers took on numerous roles, including hosting the delegation of athletes and coaches from Bangladesh.

One of the great traditions in sport is the handshake line at the end of a game. Two teams who have just competed against one another set aside their rivalry in the interest of sportsmanship, and congratulate the other on a well-played contest. It’s a ritual that elevates athletes to something greater.

At the Special Olympics World Games in Los Angeles this summer, the handshake line was a staple, and occasionally something even more remarkable would happen. At the end of a basketball game between New Zealand and the United Arab Emirates, the players from both sides joined hands in a circle at the final buzzer and jumped and cheered with each other before celebrating as separate teams.

It was a unique moment, and a reminder that the World Games are about more than just competition — they are a demonstration of unity, acceptance, courage, and joy.

“These Games will change the lives of people around the world who are mistreated and excluded because they’re different,’” said Patrick McClenahan, President and Chief Executive Officer of LA2015, the Games Organizing Committee.

Ismaili fans fill the stands to cheer on athletes at the Los Angeles Special Olympics.

Ismaili Council for the USA
The Special Olympics are held every four years for people with intellectual disabilities. Over 6,500 athletes from 177 countries competed in Los Angeles this summer in 25 Olympic-type sports.

When the Ismaili Council for the United States was invited to assist with the 2015 Special Olympics, the Jamat embraced the opportunity.

Ismaili college students served as volunteer liaisons, assisting delegations from Denmark, Malawi, India, Laos, and Bhutan by answering questions and catering to the needs of their athletes. Healthcare professionals provided medical check-ups for athletes, eye exams and nutritional counseling. A group of over 200 volunteers attended the games on a single day, taking to the stands to cheer on all the athletes regardless of their teams, and offering personal encouragement.

When Dallas musical group Fez and the Sufistics were asked to come out to the University of Southern California campus for two days to perform for the athletes, they jumped at the opportunity.

“The day we got the call that this was for the Special Olympics, I called the band and within 15 minutes the answer unequivocally from everybody was 'Yes!',” says Fez Meghani, the band’s leader. “This is a great cause for us to come out and do a performance.”

Ismaili volunteers were also asked to act as hosts for the delegation of 76 athletes and coaches from Bangladesh. This included arranging transportation for them to their residences as well as taking them sightseeing to Hollywood and the Santa Monica pier.

Volunteers serve a meal to members of the Bangladesh delegation at the 2015 Special Olympics in Los Angeles.

Ismaili Council for the USA
Luncheon and dinner receptions were organised for the Bangladesh delegation. Attending the luncheon as the guest of honour, Karen Baker, California's Chief Service Officer offered encouragement to the athletes and awarded the volunteers certificates of appreciation from the Office of the Governor in recognition for their efforts and support of the Games.

At the dinner reception, Ismaili youth and some of the athletes performed on stage before an audience that included the Vice-Consul of Bangladesh. During a Bengali folk music dance, members of the audience did not realise until the end that many of the athletes were hearing-impaired and had followed directional hand-signals from a coach throughout the performance. The applause was overwhelming, with few dry eyes in the room.

"We feel that we are at home," said Faruqul Islam, National Director and Head of the Bangladesh Delegation. "What you have done for us," he continued, addressing the volunteers, "is really an experience, which we will bring back to our country and share with our families, our community and the press."

According to many, it was impossible to spend time at the Games and not feel an overwhelming surge of happiness and admiration for the bravery and determination of the participating athletes.

“There was a sense of pride for what the Bangladeshi athletes had accomplished with the challenges they faced, and what our team did in hosting them,” says volunteer Amin Ajani.

“Most of all, the volunteers experienced gratitude for this service opportunity."

http://www.theismaili.org/community-ser ... l-olympics
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Ismaili Boy Scouts participates in cleanliness drive in Gilgit

September 16, 2015 – Imran Mir – Gilgit: Ismaili District Boy Scouts Association Gilgit participated in a 7-day long cleanliness drive in the largest city of the region. This cleanliness campaign was launched by Chief Minister of Gilgit-Baltistan, Hafiz Hafizur Rehman.

Chief Minister In his speech appreciated the efforts of Ismaili District Boy Scouts Association Gilgit. He paid tribute to the Ismaili scouts for supporting Gilgit-Baltistan government in various social activities.

https://ismailimail.wordpress.com/2015/ ... in-gilgit/
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Lions Club, Aga Khan Launch Library to Foster Community Literacy

The Lions Club International (Uganda) in partnership with the Aga Khan Development Network and Serena Hotel on Saturday launched a community library in Kamwokya.

The ceremony held at Treasure Life Youth Centre in Kamwokya was attended by students from 21 nursery and lower primary schools in Kampala, Wakiso and Entebbe.

Speaking at the launch the chief guest Mr Naboth Nahamya commended Aga Khan and Lions Club for promoting literacy levels amongst children.

Nahamya represented Hon. Shem Bageine Minister for East African Community Affairs.

“Being able to read and write empowers an individual to be able to make informed decisions and improve his/her status in life, improves one’s health and income status,” said Nahamya.

He went on to say, “A literate society is able to deal with society is able to deal with societal, economic and health problems in an informed manner”.

The involved partners have stocked the library with books and playing games worth Shs 4m.

Dr. Mercy Mirembe Ntangaare, the Coordinator of Lions Club Community services hinted on the importance of literacy.

“Reading is so important in one’s life. It’s a foundation for school going children to understand and pass exams.”

She said such community libraries will increase access to books and foster learning and development of children even outside the school environment.

Representing the Madrasa Childhood Program of Aga Khan Foundation in Uganda, Mr Shafique Ssekalala said this intervention aims at involving parents in children’s reading.

“We are celebrating this event because we strongly believe that children can succeed in their studies if effectively supported to learn how to read especially in their early years,” he noted.

The event also saw pupils from various schools engage in a literacy competition to assess their reading skills.

Those who emerged winners were consequently rewarded.

http://chimpreports.com/lions-club-aga- ... -literacy/
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Ismaili Walk in Stanley Park raises over $230,000 for mental health

The rain didn’t dissuade participates of the 24th annual Ismaili Walk Sunday at Lumberman’s Arch in Stanley Park, with participants from all over B.C. attending the popular family event.

Organizer said this year’s walk was held in partnership with VGH and UBC Foundation and the B.C. division of the Canadian Mental Health Association to raise awareness and funds to support the Rosalie Segal Mental Health Centre and Living Life to the Full for Youth program.

This year’s walk raised over $230,000, said organizers.

http://www.theprovince.com/health/Ismai ... =a009-ae8d
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Thank You Ismaili Muslim Community

Thank you to the Ismaili Muslim Community of Richmond for their generous donation of 100 boxes of food- over 3000 lbs of food!

The Ismaili Muslim Community collected the food during their Ramadan Food Drive. This is the second year in a row that they have held a food drive during Ramadan, and it keeps getting bigger!

We are grateful for their support and the continued support of our community as we serve on average more than 1400 people each week. We’re especially grateful as the donation comes at the time when our stocks are at their lowest.

Thank you Ismaili Muslim Community of Richmond for your support!

http://richmondfoodbank.org/thank-you-i ... community/
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Group builds bridges with Ismaili Centre tour

http://www.burnabynow.com/news/group-bu ... -1.2086576

The Burnaby Inter-Faith Network is inviting the public to tour the local Ismaili Centre next week in an effort to “build bridges of understanding and communication.” “We do this to kind of break down those barriers and the stereotypes people build of each other,” network co-chair Don Dyck told the NOW. The ad-hoc group, which includes members from a variety of faiths and backgrounds, advocacy groups and settlement services, was established in 2010 by the Burnaby Intercultural Planning Table. Part of its mandate has been to collaborate with faith-based centres and organize tours. Dyck, a pastor at the Brentwood Park Alliance Church on Delta Avenue, toured the Ismaili Centre shortly after 9/11. “I felt compelled to learn more about Islam and what it meant to be a Muslim in this time, and to learn from somebody who was a Muslim, as opposed to from somebody who might have an axe to grind with them,” he said. The experience, Dyck noted, was eye-opening. “It gave me a deeper understanding of their reverence for God. I thought we could learn a lot about that from them; the realization that a lot of our roots are similar. It gave me a deeper understanding that there is some radicalized groups of course that don’t really represent the whole, just like in my own faith; that the ones that make the news are the radicalized people who are actually an embarrassment to us and don’t represent who we are.” Dyck added most faiths share a common thread of compassion. “Most faith communities are already doing a lot that goes unnoticed in many ways, in terms of looking after homeless, newcomers to Canada, in terms of just taking care of social issues,” he told the NOW. “Our purpose is to say, where do we find that common ground among our faiths where we can stand together and make our communities a better place?” The Oct. 20 event will be the seventh tour the network has organized. Attendance in the past has usually been between 30 and 40 people, according to Dyck, who would like to see a bigger turnout this time around. The invite has been extended to representatives of Burnaby faith communities, individuals of faith and anyone who may not align with a specific belief, but is curious. The tour runs from 5:30 to 7 p.m., with a light dinner included. Admission is free, but registration is required. Call 604-294-7421 or email burnabyinterfaith@gmail.com. Ismaili Centres celebrate the faith of the Shia Imami Ismaili Muslims. The gathering place is one of many around the world, with other centres located in London, Dubai and Toronto. “Rooted in the rich tapestry of Islamic heritage and traditions, the architecture of the Ismaili Centres identify a community that is at once confident of its past and modern in its outlook,” states a write-up on the official website. The Burnaby branch is at 4010 Canada Way.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Ismaili District Boy Scouts Association Gilgit arranges water-station (Sabeel) for the day of Ashura

October 24, 2015 - Scouts of Ismaili District Boy Scouts Association Gilgit arranged Sabeel-e-Imam Hussain (A.S) on behalf of Ismaili Regional Council Gilgit for the Azadaran on October 24, 2015 on the day of Ashura.

The Sabeel was arranged in front of the Ismaili Central Jamat Khana Gilgit in Jamat Khana Bazar. The Sabeel was visited by thousands of Azaadaran, including provincial Ministers, Members of Gilgit-Baltistan Legislative Assembly, prominent leaders of Shia Community and Government officials.

Social circles have appreciated the Ismaili Scouts for arranging the Sabeel. Such actions are likely to leave a positive impact on the overall situation of harmony in Gilgit-Baltistan region.

ismailimail.wordpress.com/2015/10/31/ismaili-district-boy-scouts-association-gilgit-arranges-water-station-sabeel-for-the-day-of-ashura/[/b]
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Eid at the Alberta Legislature

A belated celebration of the Muslim festival of Eid-Al-Adha at the Alberta Legislature on November 3, 2015, hosted by the Honourable Robert E. Wanner, Speaker of the Alberta Legislative Assembly.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/raisemyvo ... 0736473876
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

World Heritage Week from Nov.19

It won’t be a sarkari World Heritage Week this year. The November 19 to 25 celebration of world heritage in Hyderabad is going local with a series of events that include heritage walks, workshops, talks, exhibitions and performances in the city.

The events are put together by Hyderabad Trails in collaboration with INTACH, GP Birla Foundation, Aga Khan Foundation, Salar Jung Museum and Lamakaan. “We will kick off the celebration with a walk from Mahalaqa Bai Chanda’s garden to Moula Ali Dargah on November 19 morning ,” said Gopala Krishna of Hyderabad Trails. Further details can be had from ‘www.hyderabadtrails.com’, ‘www.facebook.com/hyderabadtrails’ or Ph. 98496 87318.

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp ... 863584.ece
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Aga Khan Scouts & Guides Flute Band participate in “Clean Up UAE” Campaign

The 14th cycle of the annual national environmental campaign “Clean Up UAE” kicked off on a high note yesterday in Dubai. The first leg of the campaign took off with 2,775 enthusiastic participants joining hands to be a part the biggest environmental campaign in the UAE.

The atmosphere was charged with enthusiasm and motivation as volunteers, equipped with bio-degradable trash bags, cotton re-usable gloves, caps and t-shirts, picked up trash one by one in a massive Clean Up drive that collected approximately 21 tonnes of waste at the beautiful wide expanse of the Naad Al Sheba site.

[...] The Clean Up activity was administered to the beat of the tune performed by the Aga Khan Scouts & Guides Flute Band who made the crisp morning very lively.

ismailimail.wordpress.com/2015/12/06/aga-khan-scouts-guides-flute-band-participate-in-clean-up-uae-campaign/
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Shazia Merchant & Karishma Velani: Bridge India Initiative

Amid chaos, where hundreds continue to grieve after a massive fire destroyed nearly 2,000 homes in Damu Nagar slum, on December 7, a Mumbai-based duo decided to intervene and take matters into their hands.

Shazia Merchant, 32, and Karishma Velani, 24, had been working for the betterment of society respectively before deciding to join hands and form Bridge India, a not-for-profit organisation. The co-founders have a mission to fulfill – to help marginalised or underprivileged communities in urban India.

Shazia Merchant, who is a digital marketeer and an entrepreneur by profession, explained how important it was for her to start this NGO. “I belong to and have been raised in a community (Ismaili) that’s very close-knit and is fairly active in helping the underprivileged and marginalised, both from within and outside of the community. The help that the community sends out on a regular basis is both in cash, kind and time from volunteers and every person is taught the concept of Seva (service) from very early on. In college, NSS broadened the avenues and the opportunities to reach out and help people increased manifold. Ever since, the inclination to contribute in any way I can has been a part of my being,” said Shazia.

Coincidently, Karishma Velani, a chartered accountant by profession, had a similar foundation. “I started working under the banner of community service and slowly grew to see the bigger issues faced by society. This intrigued me to take a step further to help children by providing quality supplementary education. Slowly, Shazia and I together decided to join hands and do something bigger for this section of the society,” Karishma said.

Source: DNA Mumbai

https://ismailimail.wordpress.com/2015/ ... nitiative/
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Sunni, Ismaili scholars highlight holy Prophet’s teachings

GARAM CHASHMA: A function was arranged in connection with Eid Miladul Nabi at Pamir Public School and College Garam Chashma in which scholars from both the Sunni and Ismaili communities shed light on the teachings of the holy Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him).
The programme was organized by Aga Khan Local Council for Garam Chashma, Aga Khan Local Council for Parabeg and Jamia Masjid Garam Chashma.

Religious scholars, including Maulana Rehmat Hussain, the Khateeb of Jamia Masjid Garam Chashma; Al-Waiz Ali Akbar Qazi of ITREB lower Chitral, in their speeches shed light on the teachings and life of the holy Prophet Muhammad (PBUH).

President Regional Council for lower Chitral Mohammad Afzal, Fazal Hamid President Aga Khan Local Council for Garam Chashma Mahmoor Murad, President Aga Khan Local Council for Parabeg Amir Mohammad, Chairman Local ITREB Parabeg Mohammad Wakil, Chairman Local ITREB Garam Chashma, along with councilors, village chairmen and UC nazim attended the program.
The participants were welcomed by Mr. Fazal Hamid and Mr. Mehmur Murad extended his words of thanks.—Fakhruddin Yadgha

Eyes on Rio: Expect more in 2016, assures Blick

Athletes who will qualify for the 2016 Rio De Janeiro Summer Olympics have been assured of better preparations and treatment ahead of the Games in August next year.

Uganda Olympic Committee (UOC) President William Blick made the assurance mid-this week during the end of the year press briefing at UOC headquarters at Lugogo.

Blick said that unlike in the past where some teams and athletes had failed to receive their competition kit in time, 2016 will be a different story as kits will be available before the team leaves for the Games.

“We have a strategic plan to launch in January that will involve the entire nation,” Blick stated.

We have trained qualified sports medical doctors who will manage and monitor the athletes’ health status together with our medical partner Aga Khan Hospital.”

More...
http://www.newvision.co.ug/news/677208- ... blick.html
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Dubai: Aga Khan Scouts and Guides Group Volunteers ‘Spread a Smile’ at trauma centre

To mark the beginning of 2016 a group of volunteers visited Rashid Hospital’s Trauma Centre to bring New Year festivities to patients.

Oxygen Management Consultants, along with Aga Khan Scouts and Aga Khan Guides Group, (AKSG) organises the “Spread a Smile” event and visits Rashid Hospital every year on Dec 31. Volunteers take gifts and balloons to celebrate the beginning of a new year with patients who are unable to join their families and friends.

The Managing Director, Muneer Samnani, from Oxygen Management Consultant, started this project with two of his friends in 2010, which has now grown into a big project with support of AKSG.

This year around forty “Spread a Smile” volunteers brought joy and shared fun times with the patients. Four years back, Oxygen Management Consultants partnered with Aga Khan Scouts & Aga Khan Guides Group, (AKSG).

AKSG is based and head quartered at Ismaili Centre Dubai and registered with Sharjah Scout Mission.

https://ismailimail.wordpress.com/2016/ ... ma-centre/
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Aga Khan Foundation Supports Jaipur Literature Festival 2016

As part of the world’s largest free literary festival, which runs from January 21-25 at Diggi Palace, the Aga Khan Foundation (AKF) continues its support of Jaipur Literature Festival in 2016. AKF features Nandana Dev Sen, Jerry Pinto, Paro Anand, in conversation with Nayanika Mahtani on Writing for Children, Writing as Children.

Several other partners are sponsoring the event including the Airtel, British Council, Coca Cola, Ford Foundation, Google, The Getty Foundation and State Bank of Bikaner and Jaipur to name a few.

Setting the agenda for international dialogue, the programme for the ZEE Jaipur Literature Festival 2016 will touch upon a multitude of ideas and themes including the age old, yet highly topical issue of Migration and Partition examining alienation and acceptance, across political, cultural and geographical landscapes.

Given the international demographic of both the Festival’s visitors and speakers, title sponsor ZEE Entertainment continues to support the festival, fitting well with their vision, ‘Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam’ (The World is My Family).

In 2015, the Aga Khan Foundation supported several sessions at the Jaipur Literature Festival including a musical performance on opening night by the Alim Qasimov Ensemble, presented in collaboration with the Aga Khan Music Initiative.

/ismailimail.wordpress.com/2016/01/16/aga-khan-foundation-supports-jaipur-literature-festival-2016/
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Organized by Ismaili Boys Scout Association Gojal, M. Ishaq Memorial volley ball tournament held at Nazimabad, Sost

JANUARY 21, 2016, Sost Today. Nazimabad Sost Gojal: A four day long shooting volley ball tournament ended on Wednesday at Nazimabad Sost Gojal with dazzling victory of Gircha Eagles. The tournament was organized by Ismaili Boys scout Association unit. 16 teams of Tehsil Gojal took part in the event. This tournament is being organized every year in the memory of a well know social activist, Muhammad Ishaq (late).

ismailimail.wordpress.com/2016/01/31/organized-by-ismaili-boys-scout-association-gojal-m-ishaq-memorial-volley-ball-tournament-held-at-nazimabad-sost/
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Volunteers bring new year festivities to Dubai hospital patients

TheIsmaili.org

20 February 2016

To help everybody usher in 2016 on a positive note, a group of Ismaili volunteers in Dubai visited the Rashid Hospital Trauma Center to bring new year festivities to the patients.

In what has become an annual tradition, the Aga Khan Scouts and Aga Khan Guides Group (AKSG), together with Oxygen Management Consultants organises the Spread a Smile event, which takes place each 31 December. Volunteers take gifts and balloons to celebrate the beginning of a new year with patients who are unable to join their families and friends.

Managing Director Muneer Samnani of Oxygen Management Consultants started the initiative with his two friends in 2010 as a small project. It has since grown in scale with support of the Scouts and Guides.

“Collaborating with AKSG has been a huge impact for Spread a Smile,” he says. “It has brought more energy and passion to the project.”

Oxygen partnered with the Scouts and Guides four years ago. Based at the Ismaili Centre, Dubai and registered with Sharjah Scout Mission, the main purpose for the Aga Khan Scouts and Guides Group is to serve the community. The group has been active in planning and participating in major events in the United Arab Emirates, including the Terry Fox Run, Diabetes Walk and the Clean Up UAE campaign.

This year, around 40 Spread a Smile volunteers welcomed the new year with approximately 125 patients, touching them with a spirit of joy and celebration. Volunteers shared jokes, listened to the patients’ stories and put smiles on their faces.

“Spread a Smile, like its name, has a simple purpose of bringing joy to people who have suffered and are unable to spend the festive season among their loved ones," says Amirali Shariff, AKSG Scout Leader. All the gifts and balloons were sponsored by the volunteers.

“It really changes the atmosphere of the hospital,” says Muneer Samnani. “We also bring balloons and chocolates for the nurses. This act of giving back is very self-satisfactory and makes the new year very special for all the patients and volunteers, including me.”

theismaili.org/community-service/volunteers-bring-new-year-festivities-dubai-hospital-patients
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

INTERNATIONAL WOMEN'S DAY

The Ismaili Council for the Prairies in partnership with the University of Calgary's Faculty of Arts are pleased to invite you to what promises to be a thought-provoking discussion about the roles women can play in building civil society.

NADIA HASHIMI
March 8 at 8:30 pm
Calgary Headquarters Jamatkhana and Centre
4623 - 11 Street NE, Calgary AB

Join Nadia Hashimi, renown author of The Pearl that Broke its Shell, as we explore women’s roles in building healthy, inclusive communities – regardless of our circumstances.Nadia Hashimi is the child of immigrant parents who left Afghanistan in the early 1970's, before the Soviet invasion. Nadia has worked with the Afghan-American community to promote cultural events and awareness, especially in the dark days after 9-11. An author, pediatrician, graduate of Brandeis University and intern at the NYU/Bellevue hospitals in New York City, Nadia brings a unique perspective to the modern challenges of women’s leadership.She joins us on International Women’s Day to discuss the notion of power, influence, and effecting change as women in our communities.

http://nadiahashimi.com/the-author/
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Dr. Daryoush Mohammad Poor’s Lecture on Ismaili Islam, delivered at Mahfil Ali, London

Mahfil Ali is a Shia Ithna’ashari Community organization of Middlesex in North Harrow, North West London.

Daryoush Mohammad Poor delivered a talk entitled “Ismaili Imamat: Institutions and Ethical Underpinnings”.

ismailimail.wordpress.com/2016/03/22/dr-daryoush-mohammad-poors-lecture-on-ismaili-islam-delivered-at-mahfil-ali-london/
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Organized by the Aga Khan Youth & Sports Board for Pakistan: A Celebration of folk and Sufi music

Recently, the Aga Khan Youth & Sports Board for Pakistan organized a weekend long celebration of folk and Sufi music by the name of Kunn Darvesh (meaning, be a devotee) and featured mystical performances by some of the most popular names from the genre of eastern and folk.

The event brought together giants like The Sabri Brothers, Fareed Ayaz & Abu Muhammad and Akhtar Chanal Zahri who collectively put listeners in a pleasant, enjoyable state of trance. The maestros and their ensemble presented some of their own compositions as well as those of other masters of qawwali and folk.

The show began on a crisp note with ‘Wohi Khuda Hai’ and an immediate connection was formed within the audience and the performers. And the giants of this genre, staying true to their impeccable reputation as performers, didn’t disappoint.

By Sadiq Saleem April 02, 2016 for The News.
https://ismailimail.wordpress.com/2016/ ... ufi-music/