AKU Bricks vs. Seva in form of donations

Current issues, news and ethics
lilchimpmunk

AKU Bricks vs. Seva in form of donations

Post by lilchimpmunk »

Aga Khan University is offering Ismailies at least here in America to donate $500 and have their names on a brick which will be used to build the expansion of Aga Khan University. During REC classes in Khane, we were discussing of how people are selfish and that if they hadn't said, "There are only 60 bricks avaliable to the San Antonio Jamat, first come first serve!" Then there wouldn't of had been as many donors than we had by saying that. Yes, I agree that the Jamath not only in the America but else where, are fortunate and willing to donate immensely to the benifit of our society. But then the question comes: If we want to do seva and not be recognized then why run to the table where donations are taken place and say, "are there any more bricks left for me?". One student in my class brought up this fact. Our teacher explained of how they are doing this, the brick thing, so that when we grow up we may take our kids with us to see the brick. But then again Seva should be done without recognization and any awards. :?: :idea:
What are some other views on this? :lol:
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

This is interesting! I hope it does not start a precedant for other donations. My opinion is summarized by the tradition of the Prophet "the best of alms is that which the right hand giveth and left hand knoweth not of".

There has also been discussions of recognition and seva/charity in this forum at:

Anecdotes --> Importance of Dasond
Rites and Ceremonies --> SEVA
lilchimpmunk

Post by lilchimpmunk »

Thanks! Yes I know but this is more like a current issue. I mean seriously here in San Antonio it is still going on. So far people have signed up for thsoe first 60 bricks yet some havn't paid and others are in the waiting line. No one yet has said, "can i just donate". No offense, but neither has my mom. Thanks for commenting. I need more views on this! This way I can use some information gathered here to plead my case at REC nextweekend.