The Richness of Hereafter

Put your inspiration poems or quotes here...
kmaherali

The Richness of Hereafter

Post by kmaherali »

MHI in one of his Farmans alluded to the richness of the hereafter and the futility of this life. The following anecdote is supposed to be a joke but I felt it was quite instructive and illuminates MHI's Farman!

Bring What You Can Carry

Once there was an old rich man who was afraid of dying and leaving all his wealth behind on earth. So, he took up the matter with God. He pleaded day and night to be able to take all his earthly possessions with him.

Finally, God conceded. He said the man could take as much as he could fit in one suitcase. The old man immediately went out, bought a huge suitcase, sold all he owned and filled the suitcase with gold bars.

Shortly after that, the old man died. Awkwardly dragging the big, heavy suitcase, he approached St. Peter at the Pearly Gates. St. Peter stopped him, asked him to open his luggage, and then told him he couldn't bring his gold bars into Heaven.

The man was irate. "You don't understand," he said. "I got permission directly from God himself for this. He told me whatever I could fit into one suitcase, I could bring with me."

St. Peter, shrugged his shoulders and simply said, "Fine with me. But we've already got plenty of pavement here."
Betty

Re: The Richness of Hereafter

Post by Betty »

[quote="kmaherali"]MHI in one of his Farmans alluded to the richness of the hereafter and the futility of this life. The following anecdote is supposed to be a joke but I felt it was quite instructive and illuminates MHI's Farman!

You are soo right! I have this Farman and wish to share:

You will have to be very careful of the way you live, not to live luxuriously, not to live in a rich manner which can only do you and your children and your families much harm.

You will fail to understand that the material benefits will have produced in your hearts only dissatisfaction and disillusionment.

When you leave this earth physically, you cannot take your shop with you, you cannot take your industry with you, you cannot take your money with you, you cannot take your clothes with you; the only part of you which is eternal is your soul. Never forget this.

MHI
kmaherali

Quotes

Post by kmaherali »

The following quote resonates the theme and gives a more practical spin on the subject.

Daily Christian Wisdom

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.

-Jim Elliot

Every morning two angels come down from the Heaven. One says, "O Allah! Reward all those who give in Your cause," while the other says, "O Allah! Uproot every miser who withholds."

-The Prophet Muhammad, as reported by Abu Hurairah
Hadith translated by Aneela Khalid Arshed. Copyright 1999.
Betty

Re: The Richness of Hereafter

Post by Betty »

Betty wrote:
kmaherali wrote:MHI in one of his Farmans alluded to the richness of the hereafter and the futility of this life. The following anecdote is supposed to be a joke but I felt it was quite instructive and illuminates MHI's Farman!

You are soo right! I have this Farman and wish to share:

You will have to be very careful of the way you live, not to live luxuriously, not to live in a rich manner which can only do you and your children and your families much harm.

You will fail to understand that the material benefits will have produced in your hearts only dissatisfaction and disillusionment.

When you leave this earth physically, you cannot take your shop with you, you cannot take your industry with you, you cannot take your money with you, you cannot take your clothes with you; the only part of you which is eternal is your soul. Never forget this.

MHI

Here is another one on the same subject:

Many parts of the Islamic world, and in this, the Ismailis certainly agree, perceive an American imbalance involving excessive emphasis on material comfort. I should go further than comfort. I think perhaps the concern is wealth and the way wealth is used rather than comfort. In Islam there is nothing wrong in search for comfort, but the accumulation of wealth for the specific purpose of accumulating wealth or personal power is something which Islam does not like to see. If you are fortunate enough to go past what you personally need, then share what you have.

MHI Dec. 1983

-- Aga Khan IV
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.

-Helen Walton
jasmine

Post by jasmine »

"I do not pray for success. I ask for faithfulness."

- Mother Teresa
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which a man found and covered up; then in his joy he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field.

-Matthew 13: 44

No misers go
to the world of the devas.
Those who don't praise giving
are fools.
The enlightened
express their approval for giving
and so find ease
in the world beyond.

-Dhammapada, 13, translated by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.

Post by Guest »

A man born in the world, by proper thought comes to delight in goodness, he recognizes the impermanence of wealth and beauty; and looks upon religion as his best ornament.

-Fo-Sho-Hing-Tsan-King
From "365 Buddha: Daily Meditations," edited by Jeff Schmidt

Lord, I do not want wealth,
nor children, nor learning. If it be Thy will
I will go to a hundred hells, but grant me this,
that I may love Thee without the hope of reward,
unselfishly love for love’s sake.

-Hindu Prayer
From Agape Love: A Tradition Found in Eight World Religions by Sir John Templeton, © 1999.

Post by Guest »

Our real duty is always found running in the direction of our worthiest desires.

Randolph S. Bourne