The # of lwords in each ginan signifies raag..

Discussion on ginan meanings, history etc..
prince_visram

The # of lwords in each ginan signifies raag..

Post by prince_visram »

I FOUND THIS REALLY INTERSTING:

I am soo excited to share this with you all!! I was talking to my Uncle who is a Waez (Firoz Ladah), and he was telling me the significance within the words of each Ginan. So I researched it and it turns out he was right. Here is my research :):

to figure out the raag of a ginan, you count the letters in the first verse and match them with another ginan by the same author. an example:

utth jaag man meraa, tu(n) kaayku(n) sotaa hay
maankhaa janam ratan hay, so kaayku(n) khotaa hay
utth jaag man meraa.

WordCount: 20

ejee tum chet man meraa, jugmaa(n)he kon teraa
mat khaa-o jutthaa feraa, guru kahe te pukaar
tum chet man meraa.

And they are both by Imaam Begum. THIS IS AMAZING!!!

Although he also said that this "research" i did is also in a ginan that says this is how to find out the raag. I did not ask him what ginan it was that said this, and don't know when i will next talk to him.. Great if you have knowledge on this.. Thanks

PS also please try and do wordcount on other ginans to confirm if this is true.. ! This is sooo facinating!! :shock:
ShamsB

Re: The # of lwords in each ginan signifies raag..

Post by ShamsB »

prince_visram wrote:I FOUND THIS REALLY INTERSTING:

I am soo excited to share this with you all!! I was talking to my Uncle who is a Waez (Firoz Ladah), and he was telling me the significance within the words of each Ginan. So I researched it and it turns out he was right. Here is my research :):

to figure out the raag of a ginan, you count the letters in the first verse and match them with another ginan by the same author. an example:

utth jaag man meraa, tu(n) kaayku(n) sotaa hay
maankhaa janam ratan hay, so kaayku(n) khotaa hay
utth jaag man meraa.

ejee tum chet man meraa, jugmaa(n)he kon teraa
mat khaa-o jutthaa feraa, guru kahe te pukaar
tum chet man meraa.

And they are both by Imaam Begum. THIS IS AMAZING!!!

Although he also said that this "research" i did is also in a ginan that says this is how to find out the raag. I did not ask him what ginan it was that said this, and don't know when i will next talk to him.. Great if you have knowledge on this.. Thanks

PS also please try and do wordcount on other ginans to confirm if this is true.. ! This is sooo facinating!! :shock:
Most of our ginans are based on Indian Shlokas and Raagas each one meant to evoke certain stimuli and responses from within us.

Shams