Français  |  Mission  |  About us  |  Disclaimer  |  Contact  |  What's new  |  FAQ  |  Search  | 

Welcome to The Heritage Web Site

MY HERITAGE
New Heritage
Main Page
New Account
Set as Homepage
My Account
Logout
GOLDEN JUBILEE
Statistics
DIDARS
COMMUNICATE
Forums
Guestbook
Members List
Recommend Us
NEWS
Recent News
Timelines
Ismaili History
Today in History
LEARN
Library
Youth's Corner
Ginans
FAIR
FAIR-TV
Gallery
Photo Album
Others
Poll
Old or New Heritage Web Site?

· Old ismaili.net better
· New ismaili.net better
· No preference for me

Results | Polls

Votes: 599

www.ismaili.net :: View topic - ACTIVITIES AT THE ISMAILI CENTRE LISBON
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   
Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages

ACTIVITIES AT THE ISMAILI CENTRE LISBON
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ismaili.net Forum Index -> Institutional Activities
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmaherali

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: ACTIVITIES AT THE ISMAILI CENTRE LISBON Reply with quote

Lisbon Forum 2009 to held on 13-14 of November, in the Centre Ismaili in Lisbon
Posted on September 22, 2009 by paderbornersj
Lisbon Forum 2009

The main aim of the 2009 Lisbon Forum will be to promote the creation of a culture of human rights, through “quadrilogue” action, i.e. governments, parliamentarians, local and regional authorities and civil society.
This year the Forum will take place on 13-14 of November, in the Centre Ismaili in Lisbon, Portugal.

Read more at: Council for Europe

http://sjpaderborn.wordpress.com/2009/09/22/lisbon-forum-2009-to-held-on-13-14-of-november-in-the-centre-ismaili-in-lisbon/

Forum concept paper:
http://www.coe.int/t/dg4/nscentre/LisbonForum/ConceptPaperLisbonForum_09_en.pdf

(very interesting document)

excerpt:
The organisers of the 2009 Lisbon Forum are the North-South Centre of the Council of Europe
and the Alliance of Civilisations, in partnership with the Aga Khan Development Network. Key
note speeches, shorter interventions and discussions will be held in English and French and
simultaneous interpretation to/from these two languages will be available during the conference.

And check out the participants:
 Secretary General of the Council of Europe
 High Representative of the United Nations for the Alliance of Civilisations (confirmed)
 President of the European Commission
 United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights
 Council of Europe Commissioner for Human Rights
 High-level representatives from the Portuguese Government
 High-level representatives from regional structures such as African Union, ALECSO,
ASEAN and other international organisations with which the Council of Europe has
signed a Co-operation Agreement and whose field of action is relevant to the NSC, e.g.
UNESCO, OSCE, Anna Lindh Foundation and OIF
 Human Rights Education Experts from Africa, Asia, America, Europe and the Middle
East
 Representatives from current (Slovenia) and upcoming (Switzerland) Presidency of the
Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe and the Swedish Presidency of the
European Union
 Representatives of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe and the
European Parliament
 Members of the Executive Council of the North-South Centre of the Council of Europe
 Congress of Local and Regional Authorities of the Council of Europe
 Committee of Regions of the European Union
 Conference of INGOs of the Council of Europe
 Representatives from international and regional youth organisations
 Representatives from the City of Lisbon
 Representatives of the Aga Khan Development Network
 Members of the diplomatic corps in Lisbon.
View users profile Send private message
kmaherali

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Media advisory - 138(2009)

North-South Centre of the Council of Europe: the 2009 Lisbon Forum

“Creating a culture of human rights through education”

Date: 13-14 November 2009

Location: Aga Khan Development Network - Ismaili Centre, Lisbon, Portugal

Organised by the North-South Centre of the Council of Europe in partnership with the Alliance of Civilizations and the Aga Khan Development Network, with the financial support of the European Commission and the Principality of Liechtenstein.

Description: The Lisbon Forum is a platform for dialogue and for sharing experiences, expertise and good practices between Europe and the other continents, especially the Middle East, Africa and the countries on the south side of the Mediterranean. The Forum has been held by the North-South Centre since 1994. It focuses on issues at the heart of the mandate and actions of the Council of Europe: human rights, democracy, and the rule of law. Intercultural dialogue plays a key role in this respect, both within European countries and in relation between Europe and the rest of the world.

During the 2008 session, a new process was launched devoted to the principle of universality of human rights and its implementation at international and regional level. A work programme was adopted for the upcoming years, focussing on the promotion, understanding and strengthening of human rights, as well as on present and future challenges in this field. Among various themes, “Creating a Culture of Human Rights through Education” was chosen for the 2009 Lisbon Forum.

The overall aim of the Lisbon Forum 2009 is to promote the creation of a culture of human rights, through “quadrilogue” action, i.e. governments, parliamentarians, local and regional authorities and civil society.

Maud de Boer-Buquicchio, Deputy Secretary General of the Council of Europe will address the opening session of the Forum, together with Jorge Sampaio, President of the forum and Special Representative of the UN Alliance for Civilizations and Deborah Bergamini, Chair of the Executive Council of the North-South Centre. Thomas Hammarberg, Council of Europe Commissioner for Human Rights will launch the introductory session.

Practical information: The Forum, starting at 9 pm, will be open to the press.

Programme of the Forum

More information on the North-South Centre

Contact: Emilia Soares, North-South Centre, tel +351 93 452 4403

Council of Europe Directorate of Communication
Tel: +33 (0)3 88 41 25 60
Fax:+33 (0)3 88 41 39 11
pressunit@coe.int
www.coe.int

https://wcd.coe.int//ViewDoc.jsp?Ref=MA138%282009%29&Language=lanEnglish&Ver=original&BackColorInternet=F5CA75&BackColorIntranet=F5CA75&BackColorLogged=A9BACE
kmaherali

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forum on ”Creating a culture of human rights through education” November 17, 2009
Posted by ismailimail in Aga Khan Development Network, Europe, Portugal.
trackback

[12/11/2009 17:00:00] The North-South Centre organised on 13 and 14 November the 2009 edition of the Lisbon Forum, with the aim to promote the creation of a culture of human rights, through ”quadrilogue” action, i.e. governments, parliamentarians, local and regional authorities and civil society. The Deputy Secretary General, Maud de Boer-Buquicchio, and the Commissioner for Human Rights, Thomas Hammarberg, took part in the opening session.

Speech by Maud de Boer-Buquicchio
Video of the opening session [part 1]
Video of the opening session [part 2]
Video of the closing session
Concept paper
Programme
North-South Centre website

Earlier related at Ismailimail

http://ismailimail.wordpress.com/2009/11/17/forum-on-creating-a-culture-of-human-rights-through-education/
kmaherali

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ismaili Centre plays host to the 2009 Lisbon Forum

UN High Representative for the Alliance of Civilizations Dr Jorge Sampaio addresses the 2009 Lisbon Forum, which took place at the Ismaili Centre, Lisbon. Photo: Courtesy of the Ismaili Council for Portugal
During two days in November, the Ismaili Centre, Lisbon was the venue of the 2009 Lisbon Forum, an annual event of the North-South Centre. Focused on the “creation of a culture of human rights through education,” this year’s gathering was organised in partnership with the United Nations Alliance of Civilizations and the Aga Khan Development Network.

Since 1994, the Lisbon Forum has provided an important platform for dialogue and the sharing of experiences, expertise and good practices between Europe and other continents — particularly the Middle East, Africa and the southern Mediterranean countries. The North-South Centre is an autonomous institution of the Council of Europe that seeks to provide a framework for North-South co-operation and to raise awareness around issues of global interdependence.

AKDN Representative Nazim Ahmad, Ismaili Council for Portugal President Amirali Bhanji, Karim Vissangy, and Secretary of State of European Affairs of Portugal, Pedro Lourtie together in the library of the Ismaili Centre, Lisbon. Photo: Courtesy of the Ismaili Council for Portugal

The 2009 Lisbon Forum explored the role that education can play in the creation of a culture of human rights. In societies of diversity, education can teach people to acknowledge and explore their differences, and develop a sense of respect and appreciation for one another. Education targeted at girls can also improve conditions for women, and have a profound impact on a society’s respect for the dignity of the human person without regard to origin, faith or gender. Respect of human dignity lies at the heart of the ethics of Islam and other faith traditions.

Drawing on some of its earliest experiences in education, the AKDN can attest to this. In Africa and Asia, the 48th Ismaili Imam, Mawlana Sultan Mahomed Shah Aga Khan III, established some 200 schools in the first half of the 20th century, and strongly emphasised the importance of educating girls. As a result, thousands of underprivileged girls grew into women who could look to their future with optimism. They were able to raise the social and economic status of their families and communities, and adapt in the face of turbulent change that came with modernity and independence.

Dr Jorge Sampaio, UN High Representative for Alliance of Civilizations and Maud de Boer-Buquicchio, Deputy Secretary General of the Council of Europe share a conversation at the 2009 Lisbon Forum. Photo: Courtesy of the Ismaili Council for Portugal

The Forum was chaired by Jorge Sampaio, UN High Representative for the Alliance of Civilizations and a former President of the Portuguese Republic. Delegates from all over the world as well as the diplomatic corps in Portugal attended the event. Among the high-profile participants were Maud de Boer-Buquicchio, Secretary-General of the Council of Europe, Thomas Hammarberg, Council of Europe Commissioner for the Human Rights, and António Costa, the Mayor of Lisbon. José Manuel Barroso, President of the European Commission, addressed the Forum through a video message, and a message was also presented on behalf of Professor Ekmeleddin Ihsanoglu, Secretary-General of the Organisation of the Islamic Conference.

As a representative of the organising entity and a special guest, AKDN Representative Nazim Ahmad was invited to address the Forum. He highlighted the close cooperation between the North-South Centre and the AKDN, describing contributions made in various areas of human development, including work in education and fostering pluralism in societies.

Forum participants agreed that human rights education has the potential to be “a tool of prevention in reducing incidences of human rights violations and conflict,” and should be integrated into formal education systems. However, it should equally be seen as a lifelong process, engaging youth and the broader public through informal learning opportunities.

AKDN Representative Nazim Ahmad, Dinah Azevedo Gomes, Ismaili Council for Portugal President Amirali Bhanji, and UN High representative for the Alliance of Civilizations Dr Jorge Sampaio participate in the proceedings of the 2009 Lisbon Forum hosted at the Ismaili Centre, Lisbon. Photo: Courtesy of the Ismaili Council for Portugal

http://www.theismaili.org/cms/922/Ismaili-Centre-plays-host-to-the-2009-Lisbon-Forum
kmaherali

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seniors in Portugal challenged to redefine the meaning of being “old”

Seniors take part in a theatre performance about mediation and dispute resolution during the Seniors in Movement programme held at the Ismaili Centre, Lisbon. Photo: Pirbhai

What defines being old? Is it reaching a particular age? Retiring from the workplace? And what meaningful roles can the elderly play in society today?

These and other matters were put forward at a recent gathering of seniors in Lisbon. Held at the Ismaili Centre, Seniors in Movement is a pilot programme that takes an integrated approach to the needs of the elderly. Seeking to stimulate the mind, body and soul, it combined a thought provoking seminar-workshop with physical exercise, meditation, a nutritious meal and dance-fuelled celebration.

“Today I came to this ‘Seniors in Movement’ programme,” said Julficar bhai with pride. “I’ve been a Mukhi Saheb; I was a member of the Council. Now I am 82 years old. I don’t participate in programmes for seniors, but today, this is different.”

Participants in the Seniors in Movement programme at the Ismaili Centre, Lisbon listen intently during the seminar-workshop portion of the day. Photo: Pirbhai

Looking at ways to care more effectively for the aged is a major priority of the Jamati institutions. In keeping with guidance from Mawlana Hazar Imam, the Ismaili Council for Portugal is working to establish measurable indicators of quality of life that incorporate both material and spiritual aspects of health and wellness. The integrated approach of Seniors in Movement is being studied as a model, whose findings will hopefully contribute to even more effective programmes in the future.

“Being an elder is about assuming the responsibility to pass on our experience, to safeguard the ethics and morals of our grandchildren,” said Amir, one of the programme participants. “But before teaching, we have to learn.”

“It’s not that, what I learned in young age is not important,” he explained. “But the type of speech and language and how things are done in this new time is different — we have to catch up.”

As people live longer lives, it is important that they continue to feel they have purpose and are able to make a meaningful contribution in their old age. Amir pointed out that one way is for grandparents to be involved with their grandchildren. “My granddaughter of 10 years old, teaches me to work on computers, and in turn I read her stories from the Institute of Ismaili Studies curriculum. I was a trader all my life and let me tell you, that’s a great deal!”

Following the seminar, participants took part in a gym class led by a gymnastics teacher who taught them exercises that are especially suited to the elderly.
A fitness instructor leads the senior participants in exercises that are particularly suited to their age group. Photo: Pirbhai
A fitness instructor leads the senior participants in exercises that are particularly suited to their age group. Photo: Pirbhai

The trainer explained that as the body ages, workouts should be moderated and less strenuous. “Nevertheless, we must continue to exercise our muscles to ensure a good quality of life,” he said. The fitness session was complimented with a discussion about nutrition and the benefits of a balanced diet that led to a healthy lunch of mainly vegetarian and fat free fare.

In the afternoon, a theatre session had been organised by the National Conciliation and Arbitration Board around mediation and dispute resolution. The actors in the play were also seniors, and participants found ways to relate the concepts to their own life experiences.

“In my days, I used to drive a truck across the jungle in Mozambique — I met so many different people, many different cultures,” said Sadru bhai, a participant. “On the road I came across so many issues, that sometimes I had to improvise solutions just to get to the end of the day. That taught me to be open-minded and to be tolerant to other people’s needs.”

“That’s mediation,” he pointed out, adding “I could tell you stories that you wouldn’t believe!”

The programme ended with music, dance and a laughter therapy yoga session. At the end of the full and busy day, the picture of seniors dancing, laughing and cheering once again prompted the question: At what age is a person really supposed to be called ‘old’?

http://www.theismaili.org/cms/1150/mailshot
kmaherali

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

“Bridging hearts, opening minds and doing things together” at the Ismaili Centre in Lisbon

http://www.theismaili.org/cms/1401/

Bridge-building between cultures and religions through dialogue and cooperation is an important means to promote a peaceful and humanistic society. Recognising this, the Ismaili community and Jamati institutions in Portugal have long been supportive of efforts to share knowledge in areas as diverse as social development, citizenship and social inclusion.

In August, the third edition of the Summer School of the Alliance of Civilizations — an initiative of the United Nations — took place in Portugal. The Aga Khan Development Network, a long time Alliance of Civilizations partner, was among more than one hundred countries and international organisations supporting the programme.

Titled Bridging Hearts, Opening Minds and Doing Things Together, Summer School welcomed over 140 youngsters, representing national student organisations and voluntary associations of more than 60 countries. It sought to provide participants with the knowledge and tools to grapple with diversity, and see it as an asset in building mutual trust, engaging in cultural exchange.

Dr Farid Panjwani delivers his presentation at the UN Alliance of Civilizations session held at the Ismaili Centre, Lisbon. Photo: Courtesy of the Ismaili Council for PortugalThe Ismaili Centre, Lisbon — described as “a symbol of peace and tolerance for different cultures and religions” by Dr Helena Barroco, diplomat and Special Advisor for the Alliance of Civilizations — was chosen as the venue for a Summer School lecture on “Muslims and Modernity”. Delivered by Dr Farid Panjwani, a professor at Aga Khan University Institute for the Study of Muslim Civilizations, the lecture discussed diversity and pluralism within Islam.

Islam is not a monolithic concept, as it is often portrayed in the media, said Dr Panjwani, but rather a multidimensional phenomena. This is a fact that new generations and modern education systems are slowly coming to realise.

“When talking to young people we get a sense that there is an increasing recognition that there is no other way but to recognise this diversity among Muslims,” he says, which is “a source of good.” He adds that “the educational system can play an important role here. There is now a growing recognition that education systems need to bring out this diversity.”

Ismaili Council for Portugal President, Amirali Bhanji, Helena Barroco, Advisor to the UN High Commissioner for the Alliance of Civilizations, and AKDN Resident Representative for Portugal and Mozambique Nazim Ahmad at the Alliance of Civilizations Summer School session held at the Ismaili Centre, Lisbon. Photo: Courtesy of the Ismaili Council for PortugalAmong the other speakers were academics and personalities such as Anna Walch of the Austrian Federal Ministry for European and International Affairs, as well as Professor Daryoush Poor and Dr Laila Halani from The Institute of Ismaili Studies. The nine-day programme addressed cultural violence, tolerance and respect for diversity and the importance of pluralism in societies. The role of women and youth as active agents of change was discussed, as International Youth Day was celebrated.

Ismaili Centres around the world contribute in many ways to promoting recognition for the value of diversity, and this UN Alliance of Civilizations programme presented another such opportunity. During a question and answer session at the Ismaili Centre, a young delegate from Uganda, said that Summer School participants “have the responsibility — when returning to their countries, to their organizations — to explain to others, the true notion of pluralism: [One] that emphasises what unites us, a concept very different from tolerance that limits [us] to forbear our differences.”
kmaherali

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ismaili Centre Lisbon to host the Lisbon Forum 2015

"How to combat radicalisation and terrorism: prevention tools and shared knowledge in the Mediterranean and European space"

3-4 December, Ismaili Centre, Lisbon

The Lisbon Forum is an excellent arena in which to strengthen contacts, dialogue and cooperation between various stakeholders as it represents an opportune moment for actors with recognised expertise to discuss the state of play in the region, exchange experience and good practice in light of recent events or acts of terrorism that are a shared area of grave concern for the European and Mediterranean space. This year the Lisbon Forum will be developed along three main axes:

Rule of Law and Democratic responses: A bulwark against radicalisation
Preventing radicalisation through education and training
Empowering young people and women to prevent and combat radicalisation
The Lisbon Forum 2015 will offer the opportunity to frame discussions in light of recent developments with the presentation of the outcomes of 3 important Council of Europe events organised in the weeks preceding the Forum:

http://www.coe.int/t/dg4/nscentre/LF/LisbonForum_en.asp
kmaherali

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lisbon Forum 2015 kicks off at the Ismaili Centre, Lisbon

The Lisbon Forum 2015 with a focus on the theme “How to fight radicalization and terrorism: prevention mechanisms and shared knowledge in the European Mediterranean area”, kicked off with more than 50 speakers and a total of 250 participants from 40 countries.

The Forum in it’s 21st edition, is organized by Council of Europe’s North-South Centre, based in Lisbon, in cooperation with the Aga Khan Development Network and the Anna Lindh Foundation and has been held at the Ismaili Centre since 2009.

The former President of the Portuguese Republic, Jorge Sampaio, the winner of the North-South Prize and adviser to the King of Morocco, André Azoulay, the new Secretary of State for European Affairs, Margarida Marques, Director-General of the Council of Democracy Europe, Snezana Samardzic-Markovic, and Nazim Ahmad, the Resident Representative of the Aga Khan Development Network to Portugal and the Lusophone countries are some of the speakers at the international Lisbon Forum 2015 meeting. Alaa Murabit, founder and president of the association “The Voice of Libyan Women” delivered the opening session’s address.

https://ismailimail.wordpress.com/2015/12/03/the-lisbon-forum-2015-kicks-off-at-the-ismaili-centre-lisbon/

Ismaili Centre, Lisbon hosts Lisbon Forum 2015: Perspectives from Morocco

Lisbon 03/12/2015: The Minister Delegate to the Minister of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation, Mrs Mbarka Bouaida, took part Thursday, December 3, 2015 in Lisbon, Lisbon Forum 2015 held at the Ismaili Centre, Lisbon,

Speaking on the occasion, Ms. Bouaida, strongly condemned the recent terrorist attacks in various parts of the world and similarly stressed the need to adopt a layered approach to combat extremism in all its forms.

In this regard, she stressed that the security approach alone is not enough to eradicate this scourge, emphasizing the different political, economic and social adopted by Morocco to the strengthening of democracy, with Morocco’s new constitution adopted in July 2011.

The Lisbon Forum 2015 (LF2015), chaired by the Adviser to His Majesty the King of Morocco, André Azoulay, was supported by a large Moroccan delegation composed of senior officials, parliamentarians and ‘associative actors alongside some 250 representatives of international organizations, ministries of Mediterranean States and European parliaments, local authorities and civil society.

The work of this meeting (LF2015) will focus on three fundamental axes, namely “the rule of law and democratic responses: a bulwark against radicalization”, “Prevention of radicalization through education and training” and “strengthening of youth and the role of women in preventing and combating radicalization”.

Held annually since 1994, the Lisbon Forum is a unique platform to bring together high-level participants from Europe, its neighboring regions and other continents to share experiences, best practices and expertise around themes related to promoting democracy, human rights and the rule of law.

https://ismailimail.wordpress.com/2015/12/03/ismaili-centre-lisbon-hosts-lisbon-forum-2015-perspectives-from-morocco/

Lisbon Forum: Fighting radicalisation and promoting dialogue

Following recent attacks in Paris, Bamako and Tunis, this year’s Lisbon Forum will focus on how to combat radicalisation and terrorism.

Some 300 government and NGO representatives, educators and legal experts from over 40 countries are scheduled to attend the 2 day event, which opens today.

Empowering women to prevent radicalisation is a forum highlight. Keynote speaker Dr. Alaa Murabit – founder of Voice of Libyan Women – addresses Islam’s impact on laws and societal structures involving gender.

Former white supremacist Robert Örell explains community based approaches to prevent radicalisation. He is director of Exit Sweden, an organisation dedicated to helping individuals leave white supremacy groups.

More information
http://www.humanrightseurope.org/2015/12/lisbon-forum-fighting-radicalisation-and-promoting-dialogue/
kmaherali

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sultan Jessa: Ismaili Centre Lisbon – Design Inspired by Persian Gardens

| by ismailimail
|Posted on June 3, 2016

LISBON: Portugal – The imposing Ismaili Centre in Lisbon was designed by an Indian architect Raj Rewal, who sought and found inspiration from Persian garden designs.

Ismaili Centre, Lisbon
Ismaili Centre, Lisbon

The eye-catching building in the heart of Lisbon encompasses traditional designs from Muslim civilizations.

Ismaili ladies gather for a social function

The foundation stone for the centre was laid in December 1996.

Beautiful setting for Ismaili weddings

It was officially opened by Portugal’s former President Jorge Sampaio in the presence of Mawlana Hazar Imam on July 11, 1998.

Ismaili Centre
Ismaili Centre

Today, the Ismaili Centre is not only a place for worship but also a social gathering place for weddings, meetings, educational seminars and a wide variety of other events.

Photographs by Sultan Jessa, who visited the centre for the second time a few days last week after visiting it in 1998.

Ismaili Centre, Lisbon

Ismaili Centre

https://ismailimail.wordpress.com/2016/06/03/sultan-jessa-ismaili-centre-lisbon-design-inspired-by-persian-gardens/
kmaherali

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OPEN HOUSE

http://www.openhouselisboa.com/places/centro-ismaili/

Centro Ismaili

Raj Rewal Associates e Frederico Valsassina Arquitectos

Descrição

O Centro Ismaili, em Lisboa, estabelece pela primeira vez na Europa Continental um local em que os espaços de reunião dos Muçulmanos Ismailis complementam as instalações de uma rede internacional de instituições de desenvolvimento social, cultural e económico que servem pessoas de todas as fés, contextos e origens. Construído em torno de uma série de pátios, os seus edifícios combinam salas multiusos e áreas abertas, destinadas a funções sociais e encontros de carácter cultural e formativo.

Google translation:

Description

The Ismaili Centre in Lisbon for the first time established in Continental Europe a place where the meeting spaces of the Ismaili Muslims complement the facilities of an international network of social development institutions, cultural and economic serving people of all faiths, backgrounds and backgrounds. Built around a series of courtyards, its buildings combine multipurpose rooms and open areas, aimed at social functions and cultural and formative character encounters.

Visitas Comentadas

Sáb.

10:00

10:40

11:20

12:00

14:00

14:40

15:20

16:00

Dom.

10:00

10:40

11:20

12:00

14:00

14:40

15:20

16:00

Visita sábado 10h com Júlio Appleton, visitas sábado 10h40 e domingo 11h20 com Vera Ramos, restantes visitas com Guias do Centro Ismaili

Visitors during the 2014 Lisboa Open House weekend joined thousands who have toured the Ismaili Centre, Lisbon since it’s inauguration in 1998. Ismaili Council for Portugal

Architecture and values shared during Open House at the Ismaili Centre in Lisbon

Over the weekend of 11–12 October, the Ismaili Centre, Lisbon took part in Lisboa Open House, an annual event to raise awareness about spaces of architectural and cultural value. Visitors learnt about the relationship between the architecture of the building and the history and values of a Muslim community that has been in Portugal for decades.

https://www.theismaili.org/ismailicentres/lisbon
kmaherali

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Budhist Mindful Meditation

http://www.uniaobudista.pt/images/00001.jpg
kmaherali

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exhibition tells story of oldest Ismaili community in Europe

https://www.theismaili.org/ismailicentres/culture-diversity/lisbon/exhibition-tells-story-oldest-community-europe

TheIsmaili.org

22 September 2016

Two years ago, the oldest Ismaili Muslim community in Europe celebrated 100 years since it’s arrival on the continent. In July, an exhibition that recounts their story was inaugurated at the Ismaili Centre, Lisbon.

That the Spain Jamat is the oldest continuously settled Ismaili community in the Western world is a little known fact to many.

Ashad Ali Haji arrived in Europe in 1912 and settled in Paris. Born Ali Jamal Meghji and originally from Junagadh (in the British Indian province of Kathiawar), he was the only surviving son of the well-known Mukhi Jamal Meghji. With the eruption of World War I, he decided to move to Spain, a neutral country in that conflict. It was there that he established the first Ismaili community in Western Europe.

Today, the Spain Jamat come from diverse origins but is united in its Ismaili Muslim identity. The exhibition celebrates the remarkable story of the family of Ashad Ali Haji, which 102 years later is now in its fifth generation. Through stories shared and recounted by members of the family, it offers an important porthole on Ismaili history.

The inauguration coincided with the celebration of Mawlana Hazar Imam’s 59th Imamat Day, and members of the Spain Jamat attended in large numbers. They were joined by the Jamat and institutional leaders from Portugal.

The opening of the exhibition was preceded by a dinner that celebrated the bonds that unite the Iberian Jamat.

Google Translate:

Conference with Sister Jina and other Plum Village community Monjas

Tradition of Zen Buddhist Master Thich Nhat Hanh

Organization: Portuguese Buddhist Union and Circle of Entre-Being | Patronage: Ismaili Centre in Lisbon and Lisbon City Hall

6 October | from 19h00 to 21h00

All are welcome to join an introduction to the practice of mindfulness in the tradition of Zen Buddhist master Thich Nhat Hanh, led by Sister Jina (Sister Chan Dieu Nghiem) accompanied by two other nuns from Plum Village.

The Mindfulness is the practice of deep touch every moment of everyday life; while we are sitting, walking, eating, drinking tea and even to work. When we are able to deeply touch the life in the present moment, we can touch the many healing elements that are available to us, cultivating peace and joy within us and around us.

During the event we will be introduced to the teachings of Thich Nhat Hanh and together we will experience an afternoon of mindfulness practice, we can apply to our daily lives at home and at work. There will be guided sitting meditation, walking meditation and "Tangerine meditation."

http://www.uniaobudista.pt/index.php/eventos/164-pratica-de-consciencia-plena

Conferência , com Sister Jina e outras Monjas da comunidade de Plum Village

Tradição do Mestre Budista Zen Thich Nhat Hanh

Organização: União Budista Portuguesa e Círculo do Entre-Ser | Alto Patrocínio: Centro Ismaili de Lisboa e Câmara Municipal de Lisboa

6 de Outubro | das 19h00 às 21h00

Local: Centro Ismaili de Lisboa

Todos são bem vindos a juntar-se a uma introdução à prática da consciência plena na tradição do Mestre Budista Zen Thich Nhat Hanh, conduzida pela Sister Jina (a Irmã Chan Dieu Nghiem) acompanhada por outras duas monjas de Plum Village.

A Consciência Plena é a prática de tocar profundamente cada momento da vida quotidiana; enquanto estamos sentados, a caminhar, a comer, a beber chá e mesmo a trabalhar. Quando somos capazes de tocar profundamente a vida no momento presente, podemos tocar os muitos elementos curativos que estão disponíveis para nós, cultivando paz e alegria dentro de nós e à nossa volta.

Durante o evento seremos introduzidos aos ensinamentos de Thich Nhat Hanh e experienciaremos juntos uma tarde de prática de consciência plena, que podemos aplicar às nossas vidas quotidianas em casa e no trabalho. Haverá meditação sentada guiada, meditação a andar e "meditação da tangerina".
kmaherali

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lisbon Forum 2016
Migration and human rights
How to structure effective collective action?
Best practices and shared knowledge in the Mediterranean and European space
24-25 November 2016
Ismaili Centre, Lisbon
Draft Programme

http://www.coe.int/t/dg4/nscentre/LF/LisbonForum/LF2016/Programme%20Lisbon%20Forum%202016_en.pdf
kmaherali

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photography workshop in Portugal transforms students behind the lens

https://www.theismaili.org/ismailicentres/culture-diversity/lisbon/photography-workshop-portugal-transforms-students-behind

TheIsmaili.org

30 November 2016

The camera is well known for its power to capture, but over the course of a seven day workshop, a group of students in Lisbon learned firsthand of its power to transform. Not only the camera’s power to transform the way things are viewed through a lens, but also its power to transform the person behind the lens.

Twenty students aged 14 to 17 years old, of diverse backgrounds and lived experiences, were celebrated in a graduation ceremony held at the Ismaili Centre, Lisbon before an audience of more than 200 people, including their families. Each student had completed the Fredric Roberts Photography Workshop, which was conducted in partnership with the Aga Khan Foundation Portugal. At the end of the ceremony, an exhibition of the students’ favourite photographs was opened to the public.

João Costa, the Portuguese Secretary of State for Education, congratulated all of the students on their work and for the fantastic evolution that each of them had undergone. Delivering remarks in Portuguese, he appreciated the creative process behind each photograph and said that their quality left him speechless and filled with emotion.

The initiative led by the Aga Khan Foundation Portugal, he said, demonstrates the essential role of art as part of a quality education, in which the relationship established between a student and art should have value in itself and not simply as an add-on to other areas of the curriculum.

“This course has been a turning point in my life,” said Archana, a Nepalese participant aged 17 years old. “It gave me the opportunity to learn from professional photographers, who have taught us the whole concept of photography and its huge impact on society and people’s minds.”

The workshop was divided in two parts: a formal classroom portion, where the students learned the technical details about how to use a professional camera, and field work, in which the students practiced what they had been taught by taking photographs in areas where the Aga Khan Foundation is currently working. The students travelled to Pendão and Tapada das Mercês in Sintra and Vale de Alcântara in Lisbon to photograph civil society and social cohesion at work, and to Porto Salvo to capture activities in the lives of senior citizens. They also visited early childhood centres where AKF runs Early Child Development programmes.

The best photos from each of these locations were gathered in what Fred Roberts calls the “the stories”.

The main achievement was not only the technical knowledge that each student acquired but also the personal evolution they underwent, which raised their self-esteem and confidence, empowering them to express and connect with the world and communities around them. Fredric Roberts recognises this transformational change every time he runs a workshop.

“We always find kids amazing,” he says. “The workshop is about transformation, and to see this kind of transformation — that’s why we come. We see it happen here clearly and dramatically.”

Roberts was joined by a team of internationally renowned photographers: Sarah Meghan Lee, Wendy Walsh, Mike Sakas, Thomas Kelly, and Arthur Ollman. AKF Portugal worked closely with all of them to ensure a smooth and fruitful workshop, which Roberts appreciated.

“Everyone was fully involved from the top to the bottom; that gives us the freedom to concentrate on the students,” he said. “We were able to give our full attention to teaching and mentoring, which was exactly what we went here for.”

At their graduation, all the students had the chance to make short speeches. They thanked their mentors and AKF, and expressed their feelings on the transformational process.

David, a 17 year-old Portuguese student remarked that “during this week I found that I had the ability to be much more: a confident man.”
kmaherali

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photographs From Lisbon Forum 2016

https://twitter.com/NotTemina/status/801929131520716800?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

https://www.flickr.com/photos/councilofeurope/sets/72157677017232805
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ismaili.net Forum Index -> Institutional Activities All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: