Dr Shams Lakha

Biographies, Role Models etc...
Admin

Dr Shams Lakha

Post by Admin »

From the AKU web site...

Government of Pakistan Honours AKU's President Kassim-Lakha and Dr. Mohammad Khurshid with Prestigious Civil Awards

The President of Pakistan, General Pervez Musharraf, honoured Shamsh Kassim-Lakha, President and founding trustee of Aga Khan University, by conferring on him the prestigious Civil Award of Hilal-e-Imtiaz at the investiture ceremony in Islamabad on March 23, 2003.

Also honoured on this occasion was Dr. Mohammad Khurshid, Medical Director and Associate Dean, Clinical Affairs of Aga Khan University Hospital, who was awarded the Pride of Performance for his significant contributions to medical education and research.

The second highest honour awarded for civic service in the nation, the Hilal-e-Imtiaz recognised Kassim-Lakha's vision, ability and creative leadership in the fields of environmental protection, higher education, and industrial development in Pakistan;

Expressing his sentiments at this occasion, Kassim-Lakha said, This is a great honour not only for me but also for everyone at Aga Khan University and other institutions with whom I have had the
privilege of working. I am fortunate that the government has allowed me to make a humble contribution to the uplift of our society; He added that the University was increasingly becoming an agent of change by focusing on high academic and operating standards in programmes relevant to the needs of developing countries, and its work as a dialogue partner with the government in health and education.

Educated at South Bank and Westminster Universities of London, UK, and the University of Minnesota, USA, Kassim-Lakha's career in social development and higher education spans over four decades. Under the direction and vision of His Highness Prince Karim Aga Khan, the
Chancellor of AKU, he led the overall planning, construction and operation of the Institution which was chartered in 1983 as Pakistan's first private university.

In March 2002, President Pervez Musharraf appointed Kassim-Lakha as Chairman of the Steering Committee on Higher Education with the status of Minister of State to oversee reforms in Pakistan's higher education. Prior to this, he was co-chair of the Task Force for Improvement of Higher
Education. He is also Chairman of the Board of Directors of the newly established, independent Pakistan Centre for Philanthropy and has served in the past as member of the Board of Habib Bank Ltd and Pakistan Medical and Dental Council. He was also a member of the Economic Development Council for Karachi for two years.

Kassim-Lakha served as member of the Pakistan Environmental Protection Council (PEPC), the country's apex body for formulating national policies on environmental issues, and chaired the Council's tripartite Environmental Standards Committee to oversee the evelopment, legislation and implementation plan of the country's first National Environmental Quality Standards. From 1998 to 2000, Kassim-Lakha also chaired the Federal Advisory Board on Environment.

A recipient of several noteworthy awards, President Kassim-Lakha was conferred the Officier de Ordre National du Mérite by the President of France in 2001, the Sitara-e-Imtiaz by the President of Pakistan in 1998, and the degree of Doctor of Laws, Honoris Causa, by McMaster
University, Canada, in 1994.

Professor Mohammad Khurshid of AKU, recipient of Pride of Performance Award, said, I feel happy that such an honour will be in actuality a recognition of the efforts of all my colleagues at the Aga
Khan University that in some way we are making a contribution to society, Professor Khurshid has been a faculty member and clinical practitioner at AKU since 1985, when the University's campus was inaugurated. As Director of Aga Khan University Laboratory Services from 1985 to 2000, he set up a modern scientific laboratory at the University Hospital with laboratory specimen collection units across Pakistan.

Professor Khurshid has a distinguished academic record and has excelled in teaching and research. His research contributions in the field of haematology, particularly leukaemia, are well documented in renowned international journals. Based on his national role in the development of haematology in , he was recently elected President of the Pakistan Society of Haematology (2001-2003) and European Council Member, the International Society of Haematology (Asia Division). With over 73 research papers to his credit, he holds the second highest rank on the list of scientists in Health Sciences, as published by the Pakistan Council for Science and Technology.
Admin

Dr Shams Lakha

Post by Admin »

Hilal-i-Imtiaz for Kassim Lakha

Dawn, 29 March 2003 Saturday

KARACHI, March 28: President General Pervez Musharraf honoured Shamsh Kassim Lakha, president and founding trustee of the Aga Khan University, by conferring on him the prestigious civil award of Hilal-i-Imtiaz at the investiture ceremony held in Islamabad on March 23.

Also honoured on this occasion was Dr Mohammad Khurshid, medical director and associate dean, clinical affairs of the Aga Khan University Hospital, who was awarded the Pride of Performance for his significant contributions to medical education and research.

The Hilal-i-Imtiaz recognized Kassim Lakha's "vision, ability and creative leadership in the fields of environmental protection, higher education, and industrial development in Pakistan."

Professor Khurshid has a distinguished academic record and has excelled in teaching and research.-APP
Admin

Post by Admin »

http://tribune.com.pk/story/598305/sham ... -chairman/

By Web Desk
Published: September 1, 2013

http://tribune.com.pk/wp-content/themes ... .gif?v=0.2

Former president of Aga Khan University, Shams Qasim Lakha was appointed Higher Education Commission (HEC) Chairman on Sunday, Express News reported.

Lakha has served extensively in the education sector, including the role of caretaker minister for science and technology. Moreover, the PPP had also suggested him as a caretaker prime minister earlier in the year.
Earlier this week, Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif had turned down a request for extending the tenure of former HEC Chairman Javed Laghari by another four years. The request had been sent by the Ministry of Education, Training and Standards in Higher Education.
Appointed as chairman in August 2009, Laghari’s term ended on August 26 this week.

Secretary for Ministry of Science and Technology Akhlaq Ahmad Tarar held the acting charge as HEC’s chief till Lakha’s appointment on premier’s orders.

According to HEC Ordinance, the prime minister is the controlling authority of the HEC and the shortlisted names are to be forwarded to him for the final say.