Dandiya Raas

Dates, testimonies, articles, descriptions
shak00

Dandiya Raas

Post by shak00 »

Hazar Imam during his Darbars, has mentioned being with us at the time of Dandiya Raas quite a few times in his Farmans, but unfortunately there was no Dandiya Raas in the UK only Rasraa and some sort of new indian cowboy line dancing...Lets hope the Canadian Jamats take heed :D
nabruk

Re: Dandiya Raas

Post by nabruk »

shak00 wrote:Hazar Imam during his Darbars, has mentioned being with us at the time of Dandiya Raas quite a few times in his Farmans, but unfortunately there was no Dandiya Raas in the UK only Rasraa and some sort of new indian cowboy line dancing...Lets hope the Canadian Jamats take heed :D
Are you sure ? Which Durbar did you go to?? We went to EXcel and we played dandia on at least 3 of the 5 days that it was held there.
shak00

Post by shak00 »

That's good...I was actually referring to the evening of the main Darbar day UK (as I did not see anyone playing)...but I'm glad that there was Dandiya as you say...as I thought it has been overtaken by all these new dance routines, just like the old Dandiya raas has been outdated (Remember quite a few years ago, where you just stay in one place and switch to opposite sides?) Don't see that one much.
nabruk

Post by nabruk »

shak00 wrote:That's good...I was actually referring to the evening of the main Darbar day UK (as I did not see anyone playing)...but I'm glad that there was Dandiya as you say...as I thought it has been overtaken by all these new dance routines, just like the old Dandiya raas has been outdated (Remember quite a few years ago, where you just stay in one place and switch to opposite sides?) Don't see that one much.
Yes our energetic youth come up with new raas routines everyday, but believe me in between all that you will see Dandia as well- and all different styles of it. You are also partly right in that the old dandiya style is getting less popular day by day.
Nishams

Post by Nishams »

nabruk wrote:
shak00 wrote:That's good...I was actually referring to the evening of the main Darbar day UK (as I did not see anyone playing)...but I'm glad that there was Dandiya as you say...as I thought it has been overtaken by all these new dance routines, just like the old Dandiya raas has been outdated (Remember quite a few years ago, where you just stay in one place and switch to opposite sides?) Don't see that one much.
Yes our energetic youth come up with new raas routines everyday, but believe me in between all that you will see Dandia as well- and all different styles of it. You are also partly right in that the old dandiya style is getting less popular day by day.
Here in TO you will also see different dance routines ie, (Afghani, western, old and new style Rass, Dhandia and other things. Different Cultures which is really nice.
I am not sure about the other cities but wouldn't be surprised if it was the same.
Admin

H.H. The Aga Khan dancing Dandia Raas, the dance of sticks

Post by Admin »

H.H. The Aga Khan dancing Dandia Raas, the dance of sticks in his early age.