Aga Khan Museum in Philippines

kmaherali

Aga Khan Museum in Philippines

Post by kmaherali »

Aga Khan Museum Travel Reviews

bestblog Aga Khan Museum and more - understanding the Maranao culture better Aug 02, 2008

The Muslims in the Philippines have 13 ethno-linguistic groups, majority are located in Mindanao - my homeland.

The Maranao tribe (which means people of the lake) is the most visible of them primarily because many are engaged in trading. The Maranaos are also famous for their art works, sophisticated weaving, wood and metal craft and their epic literature.

It has been my privelege to personally witness how rich this culture is having spent 5 years of my life in a predominantly Muslim region of the country - the Islamic City of Marawi. Yep, I spent my college years in my beloved alma mater - the Mindanao State University.

It is however sad to say that not many are given the chance to experience and appreciate this and it is more unfortunate that this is because of the biases and prejudices we have as a people. Ah, the never-ending Mindanao conflict...

Anyway, as a Christian, I too have my biases - we were brought up that way. And some of these biases have basis. However, many of them also are baseless.

What helped me to understand the culture of my Maranao friends (and the Muslim Filipinos in general) was the Aga Khan Museum named in honor of King Aga Khan. The museum is located inside MSU (350 meters from the entrance) and serves as a repository for Maranao and other Moro artifacts.

Here you can find many cultural materials and a collection of indigenous arts, native tools and weapons used by the Muslims and different artistic designs of houses which are the main attractions of the museum.

And you can also see musical instruments depicting the musical heritage of the Maranaos.

(from Wiki)

The native Maranao have a fascinating culture that revolves around kulintang music, a specific type of gong music, found among both Muslim and non-Muslim groups of the Southern Philippines. In 2005, the Darangen Epic of the Maranao people of Lake Lanao was selected by UNESCO as a Masterpiece of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity.

The last time I was able to visit the museum was last June this year (my brother decided to study in MSU as well). And hopefully, I'll be able to visit it again (with old friends) this September in time for the celebration of the university's foundation day :)

How to reach Aga Khan Museum in Mindanao State University:

a. Manila-Cagayan de Oro flight or Manila-Ozamis Flight
b. Cagayan de oro-Iligan City by bus
c.Iligan City to MSU Main Campus by jeepney

entrance to Aga Khan museum

the kulintang

Maranao woman

Torogan - replica of Maranao tra...

indigenous comb

life of the Maranao people

rich musical heritage of the Mar...

pathway to the museum :)

Weblink:
http://www.travbuddy.com/Aga-Khan-Museum-v267291
elizabeth35

Post by elizabeth35 »

The Aga Khan is the spiritual leader of the Ismaili Muslim community. This exhibition affords a unique opportunity for the public in Singapore to view some of the treasures in the major collection of Islamic art created by Prince Karim Aga Khan IV.