CELEBRATING THE IMAM - applause during Didar.

Dates, testimonies, articles, descriptions
xaf

CELEBRATING THE IMAM - applause during Didar.

Post by xaf »

Clap your hands...

I want to ask about clapping [applause]. Perhaps some of you knowledgable people out there may shed some light over this. Why is clapping a complete no-no in the darbar? I understand that for chain of office and for firman, we say salwat. That is correct. But when our Beloved Mowla, during firman, shows great happiness and cracks jokes, would it be wrong to applaud? I feel applause at such junctures would only serve to increase the splendour of the ocassion. I was happy to hear applause in the Nairobi darbar when Mowla said that His heart was dancing with joy. The applause brought an even broader smile on the face of our Beloved Mowla. I hear that Mowla questioned Mukhisaheb during Dar e salaam darbar as to why the jamat was so serious and did not clap during lighter moments in the firman, which is why volunteers were urging jamat to clap upon entry and exit of our Beloved Mowla during his various banquets in Dar e salaam.

Now if this is true, then I feel jamat should applaud at such junctures. I had the good fortune to watch the DVD of Mowla's Silver Jubilee Darbar held in Nairobi in October 1982. The jamat was constantly applauding during emphatic moments of the firman and this made the ocassion even more festive.

Your input would be appreciated with regard to this.
teqcherry

Showing happiness at a darbar...

Post by teqcherry »

I am thinking about the darbars I have been to from earlier times... from years ago... when clapping was the norm... I remember one time when the jamat was clapping at Mowla's darbar, but the jamat was doing this every few moments which was causing, I think, an interruption in Mowla's speech... anyways.. this is my two cents worth..
ShamsB

Re: Showing happiness at a darbar...

Post by ShamsB »

teqcherry wrote:I am thinking about the darbars I have been to from earlier times... from years ago... when clapping was the norm... I remember one time when the jamat was clapping at Mowla's darbar, but the jamat was doing this every few moments which was causing, I think, an interruption in Mowla's speech... anyways.. this is my two cents worth..
I actually remember applause during one deedar in Mwanza in 1988 when Hazar Imam mentioned that he would take a piece of the birthday cake that the Jamat offered for Prince Hussein home - and he wanted the Jamat to share the rest and participate.

Shams
xaf

Re: Showing happiness at a darbar...

Post by xaf »

ShamsB wrote:
teqcherry wrote:I am thinking about the darbars I have been to from earlier times... from years ago... when clapping was the norm... I remember one time when the jamat was clapping at Mowla's darbar, but the jamat was doing this every few moments which was causing, I think, an interruption in Mowla's speech... anyways.. this is my two cents worth..
I actually remember applause during one deedar in Mwanza in 1988 when Hazar Imam mentioned that he would take a piece of the birthday cake that the Jamat offered for Prince Hussein home - and he wanted the Jamat to share the rest and participate.

Shams
Wow! Your comment has really jogged my memory. In all the Silver Jubilee Darbars beautiful cakes were presented to Mowla for cutting on stage. In fact, Zeenat Popat earned herself a worldwide reputation for her beautiful cakes. How come this ritual now no longer exists? Does anyone know? No cakes in any of the Golden Jubilee Darbars! Even more strange, that when Mowla had darbar in Dubai on 13th December 2003, there was no cake cutting ceremony even though it was His birthday!
nagib

Post by nagib »

There is nothing wrong in showing your Spiritual father that you love him, there is nothing wrong in garlanding him with flowers, nor in offering him a Jubilee cake to cut for His 50 years in the same manners as we do with our worldly father and mother.

I have attended many Didars, from Edmonton 1992 where the very small children sited near the carpet were showering Imam's feet with rose petals and Imam acknowledged them in His Farman to various others were he made so many comments and long Farmans about associating cake cutting with His happiness. Even as recently as the last visit Ismailis standing in the Pan Pacific were told the first day not to clap, not to wave, not to breath when Hazar Imam would pass by and the next days Hazar Imam was asking "why My Murids do not wave at me when I wave at them" and subsequently the ismailis were told they can wave back. Also I attended Salamieh, Syria Didar attended by 140,000 in 2001 November and I can assure you, everyone was waving at Hazar Imam when He was passing on the red carpet [except the Khojas presents there - mostly fro LIF members and spouse] and even after Didar when Hazar Imam was walking back on the carpet, all those sited behind would raise and follow him even as He was walking.

When we are young, we hug and kiss our parents [see Hazar Imam still kisses Prince Amyn when they meet], then our parents educate us, we grow and the parents become part of the furniture, so much they we do not even want to show them any affection. This is what is happening. It is the same Imam we had in Silver Jubilee, we are the ones that have changed.

We no longer remember Imams happiness when we used to decorate the hall or the city, when we used to clap at his jokes, when we used to garland him with flowers, when we were sharing a cake with him and he would tell us "send me a piece of cake to My hotel before the trolley collapse ;-)

We have changed of maybe those who loved the Imam are all dead, those who remain, all want to be appointed as leader in the next round so they refrain from these external signs of happiness and caring for the Imam.

The first Didar of Jubilee in Kenya, we were told as usual, don't clap, don't breadth but when Imam said My heart dance in joy with big gestures of His hands, some Murid started clapping, the rest of the Jamat followed, Hazar Imam was so happy. The people on the stage near Hazar Imam were the last ones to clap. [Care to see the Video?]

Do we need to say more?

Nagib
xaf

Pyar Kiya To Darna Kya...

Post by xaf »

Mr. Nagib, I agree 100% with your comments and your emotions, and I salute you for being so frank. I myself was present at the Pan Pacific in Dhaka. Whilst awaiting a glimpse of Mowla, in the lobby, we were warned by Mowla's own personal security team not to wave, clap, or attract Mowla's attention in any way, otherwise, they would be forced to clear the lobby. We did as they asked us because we did not wish to lose an opportunity to obtain a glimpse of our beloved Mowla. How wrong we were! I feel really ashamed not to have waved when Mowla himself did wave at all of us seated there. Thereafter, the same security team came back and asked us to wave whenever Mowla was passing through the lobby. Faith and fear cannot co-exist. I realise that now. Henceforth, I will do as my heart tells me and not what missionaries, leaders and security officers are saying. Connection with Mowla is through love and heart, and there is NO PLACE for fear so inshallah, next time, I shall certainly wave, applaud or throw flower petals if my heart tells me to do so. I beg forgiveness from my Mowla for having shown reticence with regards to waving and applauding out of fear at being thrown out of the lobby. Thank you Mr Nagib for your inspiring comments.

To understand this concept of following your heart without fear or favour, and to do what is right, I suggest everyone should watch the film, A Few Good Men, starring Tom Cruise and Demi Moore. This film has a terrific lesson for all of us to apply in our daily lives, particularly where our love and faith for Mowla is concerned. Thank you and Ya Ali Madad.
Indigo

Post by Indigo »

Hi.
I would like to say that this topic is indeed thought provoking. And that it is my deepest and most sincerest hope and prayer that the leaders and jamat take note of this and include a cake cutting ceremony in the remaining darbars and that we throw fear out the window and celebrate our Imam in the manner that He deserves to be celebrated, and with all our heart.
Thanks.
canam

Re: CELEBRATING THE IMAM - applause during Didar.

Post by canam »

I am glad that people are asking this question. I personally see nothing wrong in showing our Mowla how much we love him. It is these leaders who forbid it for what ever reason. Mowla has never asked his murids to be serious and not be happy. Even in his recent darbar in the US and India, he has told the jamat to be happy!. Why do you think he said that? Perhaps the jamat was too serious. It is our Mowla's GJ and what better way then to express our affection for him! All of us irrespective of what the leaders say should express our love for our Mowla.