Ginan - Paratak Paatrane Prakhine

Discussion on ginan meanings, history etc..
kmaherali

Ginan - Paratak Paatrane Prakhine

Post by kmaherali »

Please could anybody elaborate on the background to the following verse involving Lord Krishna and the Gopees. Thanks

ejee jenne gopee keraa(n) mahee luttyaa(n), maakhann khaadhaare chakor
aage karsanaa avtaar maa(n), maarag rag vinod...............10

The one who plundered the earthen pots filled with butter, of the Gopees,
and inflicted great loss of butter upon them cleverly (for a higher gain);
long ago at the time of Lord Krishnaa, the path was of mysterious play.

THIS VERSE NEEDS TO BE CLARIFIED.
Nooree

Human perception

Post by Nooree »

<P>hi YAM<BR>as far as my knowledge is concerned i think&nbsp;MAARG means opposite of SUARG (heaven)&nbsp;and in the ginan's context ,those who utilized butter for gaining more or in greed have maarg as their destiny.<BR><BR>plz reply me if u find the correct answer.<BR>thanks</P>
kmaherali

Re: Human perception

Post by kmaherali »

Nooree wrote:hi YAM as far as my knowledge is concerned i think MAARG means opposite of SUARG (heaven);and in the ginans context ,those who utilized butter for gaining more or in greed have maarg as their destiny.plz reply me if u find the correct answer.thanks
Thank you for your interest in this matter. It does shed some light. If there is a correct answer to my question, it will be posted. I was expecting a response from Shamshu.
shamsu

Sudama

Post by shamsu »

Ya Aly Madad kmaherali and Nooree

maarg means path, narg means hell and suarg means heaven.

Before we try to look at this part of ginan we have to understand the story of sudama.

Sudama was a boy from a poor family who when he was a child was a good friend of Lord Krishna. They used to play together..

Well time passes and he is married with kids and in severe financial hardship. His wife asks him again to go to Krishna who was a King at the time and ask for some help for old times sake. Finally he agrees to go but what can he take with him as nazrana (gift) as he has not seen his friend for ages. They had nothing of any value in the home so finally his wife prepares a dish made from the husk of rice probably the cheapest thing possible to prepare and ties it in a cloth and sends it with him.

When sudama reaches the Palace he is overwhelmed by its majesty and splendourhe was about to turn back when Krishna spots him and recognizes him and invites him into his home. Krishna asks Rukhmini his wife to wash Sudama's feet and asks sudama what has he brought for him

Now sudama is very ashamed at having brought the pauva (rice husk dish) for a King so he tries to hide it. Krishna notices sudama is trying to hide somethiing and grabs at it. Krishna opens the cloth and is overjoyed at seeing the pauva he starts to eat it . He takes one bite then the second bite but at the third bite rukhmini grabs his hand and doesnt let Krishna eat the third bite.

Well sudama is quite ashamed to ask for anything else and Krishna keps asking him to stay a little longer and longer. finally a few weeks later sudama asks for krishnas leave. Sudama is kind of worried about what he will tell his wife. He was too ashamed to ask for anything and is returning empty handed. When he reaches his own home instead of a hut he sees a huge majestic home of someone very wealthy. he is again confused when his wife comes out to receive him and says this was a gift from Krishna.

In the ginans we have
"Saami maro aevo cche je koi no na raakhe bhaar
saami ne aalo ek var saami aale sau sau vaar"

My beloved is such that he doesnt keep anyones obligations
Give him once and he gives a hundred times a hundred.

Now you know why rukhmini stopped Krishna from eating the third bite. Had krishna eaten the third bite he would have given sudama a kingdom.

In the case of gopis they were very naive an did not have this understanding of give and take. Krishna in their case took from them by stealing in order to shower on them the rewards they all wanted.

usually man proposes and God disposes but in the case of the gopis Krishna proposed and disposed.
kmaherali

Re: Sudama

Post by kmaherali »

shamsu wrote:In the case of gopis they were very naive an did not have this understanding of give and take. Krishna in their case took from them by stealing in order to shower on them the rewards they all wanted.

usually man proposes and God disposes but in the case of the gopis Krishna proposed and disposed.
Thank You Shamshu!

Please could you elaborate on this. What did actually take place with the pots and in what circumstances. I think it has an important bearing upon our own experiences in life. Thanks.
kmaherali

Stolen Butter by Lord Krishna

Post by kmaherali »

The following is an extract of a talk delivered by Swami Paramahansa Yogananda on the issue of Lord Krishna stealing the butter as a child from the Gopis.

A sainted devotee in India found God by looking upon Him as her son. One day the infant Lord Krishna, an avatar (divine incarnation of the infinite), prankishly stole some milk-curd cheese, filling his mouth with it. His mother Yasoda came running, scolding, "You will choke! Come here." At last she caught him and put her finger in Krishna's mouth to make him open it. When he opened his mouth, Yasoda saw the whole universe within him. Quickly she turned away from the vision, desiring to know the Lord only in the form of her adorable baby.
kmaherali

Strength of Pluralism - Lord Krishna's Story

Post by kmaherali »

The anecdote about Lord Krishna stealing butter in the last post is an example how knowledge from another tradition can serve to illuminate our own traditions - a strength of pluralism.
kmaherali

Pir Subzali Anecdote

Post by kmaherali »

The moral behind the verse of Paratak Paatraane is that the Murshid corrects his murids when he notices elements of greed and unscrupulousness in their dealings. Lord Krishna as a child plundered the butter filled pots of his devotees (the Gopees) to take away the excess butter that would end up doing more harm than good.

In the following anecdote, the Murshid actually intervened to prevent his murid becoming a sure millionaire.

At one time Pir Subzali used to work as a clerk for Mowlana Sultan Muhammad Shah. Once he overheard the Imam giving a tip about a horse to a parsee. Pir Subzali immediately rushed home and told his wife about the tip and gather whatever cash that was available. They were able to come up with 2000 rupees and stood to make a big fortune as the horse was an outsider.

As he was going to bet, he encountered a pundit who told him "How can this horse ever win? I am an expert and I know all about horses." In this manner he was able to change his mind and put his money on another horse who was the favourite. Offcourse the horse that MSMS predicted won. Fortunately Pir Subzali was able to recover his original outlay because the horse that he put his money on came third.

Pir Subzali related this incident to the Imam who cautioned him against being angry upon the pundit. He told him, "Subzali, I came to you in the form a the pundit to prevent you from becoming a millionaire. If I wanted you to become one, I could have made it possible in many ways, but that would prevent you from attaining the station that I desire for you."

Subzali offcourse went on to become a Pir posthumously, i.e after his death.