Français  |  Mission  |  About us  |  Disclaimer  |  Contact  |  What's new  |  FAQ  |  Search  | 

Welcome to The Heritage Web Site

-->
MY HERITAGE
New Heritage
Main Page
New Account
Set as Homepage
My Account
Logout
GOLDEN JUBILEE
Statistics
DIDARS
COMMUNICATE
Forums
Guestbook
Members List
Recommend Us
NEWS
Timelines
Ismaili History
Today in History
LEARN
Library
Youth's Corner
Ginans
FAIR
Gallery
Photo Album
Others

www.ismaili.net :: View topic - ruhani mehmani
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   
Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages

ruhani mehmani

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ismaili.net Forum Index -> Customs and Traditions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZubKhim

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:05 am    Post subject: ruhani mehmani Reply with quote

I converted to be a ismaili on marrying a ismaili. I am confused about mehmani specially after funeral mehmani

Why do we keep gold jewellery, food, clothes etc in mehmani after a person dies? I am sure the ruhanis do not require these offerings nor it reaches them instead would  be better if we prayed lots of tasbih for the souls forgiveness. And surely every food is available in Jannat! And clothes, jewellery?  
View users profile Send private message
kmaherali

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea behind bringing the valuables such clothes and jewelry is to break whatever residual attachments the soul had in those valuables so that the soul can be freed from them.

There is a verse of a Ginan which states:

eji jo ghar hove bhaai vast peeyaaree jee
so naam saaheb jee ko deejee ejee.............................3

O momin! whatever you have that is dear to your heart, submit it in the name of the Lord.

http://ismaili.net/heritage/node/22846

Hence bringing clothes and other valuables, we are submitting them on behalf of the deceased, so that the soul attains freedom.

When we recite salwaats and other prayers on behalf of the deceased, it has the same effect of elevating the soul of this person.
ZubKhim

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How could soul be attached to material things ? What gains and meanings can material things hold for any soul? Where else in Islam this practice is observed?If Ismaili religion is batuni based on esoteric spirituality then these materialistic things are meaningless!
kmaherali

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reality of life is that we live in a material world. When we live in a material we get attached to the desires of the material world. To break the desires we submit what is dearest to us to the Imam. The soul cannot attain freedom when there are residual material desires.

Hence submitting the valuables to the Imam on the behalf of the ruhani breaks the residual desires and hence frees the soul.

The items are auctioned as nandi and the money goes towards improving the world through the Imamat institutions.
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmaherali wrote:

The items are auctioned as nandi and the money goes towards improving the world through the Imamat institutions.

I would add the benefit of that improving the world goes then back to the Ruhanis.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ismaili.net Forum Index -> Customs and Traditions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: