The concept of Eid in Ismailisim (Ali Raza shallwani)

Current issues, news and ethics

The concept of Eid in Ismailisim (Ali Raza shallwani)

Post by Guest »

As the pakistani culture is concerned yet its based o­n an islamic culture & thats the reason that we also celebrate eid but why we do not keep fasting for a month eid is for those who keeps fasting but for the ismailies 360 days a year is fasting which is told by our beloved Mowla Sultan Muhammed shah so any o­ne have an answer of it that why = celebrate eid????
kandani

Post by kandani »

Sultan Muhammad Shah (as) may have said that Ismailies fast spiritually 365 days a year, YET he NEVER said NOT to fast during Ramhadan.

In fact, the Present Imam, Shah Karim (AS) fasts himself. We should follow Imams example and try to fast during Ramhadan. Remember, fasting will benefit you yourself. It is a secret prayer. We fast to purify ourselves, not to tell other ppl that we fast.
nagib

Post by nagib »

Mowlana Sultan Muhammad Shah has also said that Shariat and Haqiqat are two worlds apart and will never meet. As Ismailis, we have been told by many Imams NOT to keep the Ramadhan Roza which are the ultime symbole of Sharia.

Physical Roza as a personnal health discipline is something I would encourage, but do it 11 months per years, not in Ramadhan! At least for the sake of the memory of your forefathers if not for the sake of the clear farmans and guidances in this matter.

Also I think we should not bring information on the fact that the Imam may or may not do Roza, we have to do what Imam tells us to do and up to the time some Imam reverse a previously made farman, we have to stick to the last available Farman. This is the base of Ismailism.

When we know that in Paris in the 1980s Imam has invited the leadership during Ramadhan and treat them with samosas and other goodies afternoon and shown himself the example [would you like to see the video?], we should understand what it means .

I don't want to open a can of worm and create controversies but if necessary, I will post relevant extract on this matter. I am very much sadened that every year the same misunderstanding is circulated through the Ismaili World.

I admire the Syrian Jamat and the many Central Asian Jamats that have gone through many pressures and difficulties and even torture through the centuries but never reverted to the forbiddent practise of physical roza during Ramadhan. Though they could have done it to practise taqiyah. But they did not. For they new that Imam's guidance in this matter has been clear and final. And their's was a religion of conviction, not of pleasing fellow Muslims.

Nagib

Post by Guest »

Nice post nagib

i myself have NEVER seen anything that says Ismailies should NOT be fasting in the present day. Yes the Imam does fast. When he came to Canada last year, in the middle of Ramhadan, the dinner was started delibarately after sunset, because Imam was fasting.

Pls feel free to post things about your point of view, because i am quite interested in hearing it.

Yes, Haqiqat and Sharia are different paths, which are linked together by Tariqua. However, they are stations along the straight path. One must first go through Sharia to get to Tariqua, Tariqua to get to Haqiqat, and Haqiqat to get to Marifat.

Practicing the rituals comes before knowing their true meaning. Most ismailies dont even do the physical fast, so how can they fast 365 days a year spiritually, if they cant even fast 30 days physically?
nagib

Post by nagib »

Dear guest,

It would be nice to leave your name some place. I also can post under whatever name or as guest but I don't do it. It's plain courtesy. But I understand, some people want to remain anonymous, this subject is particularly hot and in the past some of the discussions have turn sour
:)

I haven't heard also recently in any farmans that we should not restart 5 times Namaz... should we?

I heard some of those contradictory tabloid rumours about 1992 Ramzan dinner that was supposedly put to evening... Did you check with the Imam what was the reason behind this undocumented rumours... or maybe there is a video of the Imam not eating during Ramadhan similar to the one where he eats, his kids eats and he makes the leadership eat?

Nagib
kandani

Post by kandani »

hey Nagib...

the guest post was made by me...i guess i wasnt logged in at that time
shamsu

ismailism is a batuni faith

Post by shamsu »

kandani my man u want zaheri

Imam has said zaheri badhu duniya ne lagtu cche

u want deen or duniya

u decide
star_munir

Post by star_munir »

There are some questions.

If roza or fasting is not allowed in Ismailism is there a farman regarding it.If yes than plz tell similarly if Fasting is obligatory is there any Ginan or Farman related to this?

If ismailis do not fast in ramzan than what is the purpose of celebrating eid?

Is it true that the reward or sawab of beej is equal to fasting in Ramzan?
nagib

Post by nagib »

'Look someone asked the Prophet Muhamed who will go to Paradise?, he said" The 73rd sect. O man, know that 72 sects will go astray.

Then the companion asked, 'What is the sign of that sect'?, He said 'They will not indulge into Roza, Namaz and other Shariati matters. They will be strong in the love of Ya Ali and Ahl-e-bayt'.

Al-Hamdullilah! You are strong in the love of Ahl-e-bait!'

Farman, Mowlana Aga Ali Shah, Bombay 1884.
nagib

Post by nagib »

<<The whole year you must fast, just as zâhiriyân fast one month. The meaning of this fast is austerity; control yourselves, keep yourselves away from bad qualities, evil and indecent actions and devilish acts, so that the mirror of your hearts may be gradually polished. Also know that those thirty days during which the zâhiris fast, the real fast lasts only one single day; they fast thirty days only in order not to miss that single day (of Laylat al-Qadr), and this is also a symbol ("ramz"). And just as they keep on fasting for thirty days in order to fast on that particular day, so you must through the whole of your lives experience difficulties and suffering for the sake of the attainment of the vision of the Creator - you must be patient, persevering in austerities, and keeping your inner self fasting for as long as you live.>>
Imam al-Mûstansir bi'llâh II (Imâmat:1463-1475) in "Pandiyât-i Jawânmardi", p.59.
kandani

Post by kandani »

Thanx for the great posts, everyone, especially Nagib.

Despite the evidence you provided, I still need more convincing. Why did the Quran ever prescribe fasting specifically for the month of Ramadhan, if in reality, we should always be fasting spiritually?
star_munir

Post by star_munir »

This is what I read from this website about Ramzan and Eid

The Qur'an says:"O you who believe! Fasting is prescribed for you as it was prescribed for those before you, so that you may guard against evil." (Sura Bakr-Ayat 183)

The Holy Prophet said:"Whoever does not give up lying and acting falsely, Allah does not stand in need of his giving up food and drink."
(Bukhari-Ch.30 - No. 8)

On the meaning and essence of fasting Hazrat Imam Sultan Muhammad Shah said in his Farman:

"Haqiqati Momins do not fast only in the month of Ramadhan. For them fasting is for all the 360 days. In the 360 days when not a single evil act is committed and not a single person is hurt, that is fasting.' (Kalam-e-Imam-i-Mubin - Part 1)
The observance of Eid is an expression of joy at having fulfilled God's command of discipline and piety. It is also a day of thanks-giving to God for the guidance He bestowed upon mankind through His last Prophet.

Eid, the festival of the joy of spiritual fulfillment is a reminder to the believers to spend in the way of God, for it is only through right spending that petty can be attained. The Holy Qur'an says :

"You will not attain unto piety until you spend of that which you love. And whatsoever you spend, Allah is aware thereof." (Sura Al-i-Imran - Ayat 91)

Eid-a-Fitr also occasions an opportunity for the believers to forget all grudges and ill-feelings towards one another and start afresh in the brotherly spirit that Islam preaches.

The underlying message of this happy occasion is that the believers who fulfill God's command of discipline and piety, and who abstain from evil and unlawful pleasures arealways blessed with the joy which surpasses all the worldly and material joys. The acts of piety and religious discipline are not to be restricted to only a few days every year but are
to be performed regularly throughout ones life.
ONiazi

Post by ONiazi »

Ya Ali madad wa assalamu aleikum min Maula Hazir Imam!

It seems that there is no consensus among Ismailis whether Ismailis should or are permitted to fast during Ramadhan. To be honest, there is enough to be concerned about living Islam in a tariqati/haqiqati/marifati way to worry about shariati matters. But since tariqah, haqiqah, and marifah are built on the foundation of shariah, one cannot simply abandon shariah.

This is the way I see it - Ismailis practicing shariati practices is neither forbidden nor discouraged. As long as shariah doesn't interfere with tariqah, haqiqah, or marifah, an Ismaili may follow whatever parts of the shariah as he/she would like. If an Ismaili wants to keep the shariati fast during Ramadhan, he/she is welcome to. However, it is also important to remember that according to the official interpretation (that is, according to the blessed firmans of the Hazir Imams (as)) of the higher forms of Islam (tariqati, haqiqati, and marifati Islam), fasting has a higher meaning that Ismailis should internalize and practice on a daily basis. As Ismailis who have taken baiyat on Allah hands (through the Hazir Imam's hands or through the Hazir Imam through the mukhisaheb), understanding and practicing the higher forms of Islam is mandatory.

In this way, Ismailis are welcome to perform the shariati hajj to Mekkah, Mina, Arafat, etc., as long as they also understand the batuni elements of hajj and are faithful in their jamaati activities.

The only exception, I would venture to say, would be salaat. Ismailis have been instructed by the Hazir Imams (as) numerous times that they should be faithful in saying the Holy Dua daily in the jamaatkhana. Offering salaat the shariati way may interfere with attending the jamaat. One may not abandon the Hazir Imam - may He save anyone who does! - for a lower level of Islam.

However, this is all speculation - if I am wrong anywhere, I hope Maula will forgive me, and I hope I will be corrected.

Maula hafiz,
Omayr
shallwani

Fasting is not necessary to keep!!!!(By Ali Raza shallwani)

Post by shallwani »

:) Hazir Imam has not told us to keep fasting in any of his farmans o&shy;n ly he have said to respect this month and if the ismailies want to keep it itz gud but it will not give them sawab(blessings special blessings because imam has given us Beej from which we can get the blessings of 30 rozas then why we keep rozas if its just as a hobby then fine but do not keep it for the special blessings it will just refresh&nbsp; your stomach and thats all !!!!!!!!
nagib

Post by nagib »

The practise of Ramadhan eating fast was abandon on the order of Mowlana Hassan Alazikrihis salaam on 8 August 1164 in Alamut when in the middle of Ramadhan, in day light the Imam addressed man and angel of the universe to free them from the bonds of Shariah. The Imam then ordered a feast [jamanr] and made his follower break the fast at noon that day. True Murids have never reverted back since then. Check this information with your grand father and ask him if his grand father ever reverted to Ramazan Roza?

Ismailis continued fasting now and then but never on Ramadhan as that particular fast became the symbol of Shariah.

From time to time rumours were spread by extremists [yes we do have some] that we had to revert back to Shariah but in all those centuries, only few left their batini tradition to revert to Shariah.

Nagib
kandani

Post by kandani »

Yes, but Imam Jalaludin Hasan re-instated the Sharia for ALL ISMAILIES, 50 years after Mawlana Ala-zikri Salaam.
star_munir

Post by star_munir »

[ FROM INTERVIW OF HAZIR IMAM SUNDAY TIMES WEEKLY REVIEW DECEMBER 12 1965]
How would you advise your communities?

"I think if it was, say, a steel factory in a time of national emergency, of war or something like that, then I would advise them to work during Ramadhan. If it were peace, and the production were not so vital, then I would advise them to observe Ramadhan."
star_munir

Post by star_munir »

I think ONiazi is right and he explained well about ramzan roza and Ismailism.
nagib

Post by nagib »

kandani wrote:Yes, but Imam Jalaludin Hasan re-instated the Sharia for ALL ISMAILIES, 50 years after Mawlana Ala-zikri Salaam.
No he never did. It's a misinterpretation of history that has been repeated each author copying each other.

In fact the Qyamah was declared in several places and Imam's orders were considered [and are still considered] binding by all of the ismailis.

Even up to now, most of the Ismailis are not keeping fast during Ramadhan. Go and see in Salamiah- Syria. Even the turning to Qaba is a new trend that some misinformed people have restarted introducing to our Jamat. There is pressure from some to re-introduce Shariah by hook or by crook [is that the English expression?]

There are enough Farmans after Imam Jalaludin Hassan in this regards. The Symbole of fast and qaba is completely different in Ismailism. As said the present Imam, remember zahir is zahir and batin is batin.

Nagib
star_munir

Post by star_munir »

On August, 8 1164 Imam Hassan Alazikrihis Salaam abolished shariat by ordering to break fast. I know that ismailis are haqiqati not shaiati but
It is in Noorum Mubin that Imam Jalaludin Hasan re-instated the Shariat because majority of people did not understood the Farman and became enemies of true momins and Imam.
nagib

Post by nagib »

star_munir wrote:On August, 8 1164 Imam Hassan Alazikrihis Salaam abolished shariat by ordering to break fast. I know that ismailis are haqiqati not shaiati but
It is in Noorum Mubin that Imam Jalaludin Hasan re-instated the Shariat because majority of people did not understood the Farman and became enemies of true momins and Imam.
Yes there are some mistakes in Nurum Mubeen and I think this is the reason why in the minutes of the 1975 Paris Conference [signed by Rupany], it mentions that Mowlana Hazar Imam specifically said that Nurum Mubeen not to be used as a standard text of Ismailism anymore.

Pir Satgoor Noor, preaching approximately during the time of Imam Jalaludin Hassan as well as other Iranian Pirs sent by the Imam and preaching after him never mentionned the so called re-instatment of Sharia. The only fast they mention is consistently the fast of Beej, which comes about twice a year, when new moon coincide with Friday.

Nagib
kandani

Post by kandani »

The IIS publications say that Sharia was re-instated by Imam Hasan III.

I interpret Hasan II's Declaration as an interpretation of Islam for that time. Mawlana Hazar Imam interprets for this time. He mentions nowhere that we shouldnt fast. Sultan Muhammad Shah said momins should fast from sinful thoughts, agreed. But, he did NOT say momins should NOT fast physically during that month of ramadhan.
nagib

Post by nagib »

kandani wrote:The IIS publications say that Sharia was re-instated by Imam Hasan III.
I hope you do not believe that the IIS has the monopole of wisdom and whatever they publish is completely accurate.

Because if you do, you would also believe that some of our Imams were crazy and some were only disciple of well known Sufi Masters...

And the day more then few scaterred Ismailis believe this, will be a sad day of despair....

Nagib
star_munir

Post by star_munir »

Why IIS is publishing such books which can mislead ismailis?
Why?
kandani

Post by kandani »

obivously, the IIS has no monopoly over anything

but Hazar Imam greatly endorses and supports the iis.
also, iis is in charge of the new bait ul ilm secondary curriculum and teacher training for that.
shamsu

Fasting

Post by shamsu »

Ya Aly Madad Everyone,

Imam SMS has stated in his Farmans in KIM that closing your mouth and not eating food is not fasting as an animal whose mouth is closed up can also go without eathing food. The real Fasting is that of keeping from having a single impure thought.

Our present Imam Shah Karim has clearly stated that we are an esoteric faith.

Our Imam has not described us as an exoteric faith and this whole not eating during ramadhan is a recommendation in the Quran as a way to thank Allah for gracing us with the gift of Islam (Abualy Waez).

The Quran itself mentions that if you cannot keep the Fast during ramadhan then slaughter an animal (sacrifice) or free a slave.

Now as Ismailies we believe in slaughtering out mann for the Imam. "Aeji mann ne maaro toe Gur kahae manae malo"

AND

In freeing a slave which is our Jeeve.
"Aeji pinjadae padio pariwar noe....."
" Naam ginae jeeve cchutae...."
"Fazal karo to jeeve cchutae..."
"Jeeve lagaiyae dhikr su toe saacha surijan paas re...."

just some thoughts, mentioned in passing. Hope they can be of some help.

Ya Aly Madad,

Shams
star_munir

Post by star_munir »

There are many ismailis who arrange iftar parties My question is that is it appropriate to attend iftar parties by ismaili or Jamati ismaili institution?
saleemsadruddin1

Fasting under Quran

Post by saleemsadruddin1 »

Hi,

While going through Holy Quran, I came across two important verses, one of which emphasises prohbiting eating and drinking during day in Ramzan.

Can someone please comment their opinion?

2:185
The month of Ramadan in which was revealed the Qur'an, a guidance for mankind, and clear proofs of the guidance, and the Criterion (of right and wrong). And whosoever of you is present, let him fast the month, and whosoever of you is sick or on a journey, (let him fast the same) number of other days. Allah desireth for you ease; He desireth not hardship for you; and (He desireth) that ye should complete the period, and that ye should magnify Allah for having guided you, and that peradventure ye may be thankful.

2:187
Permitted for you is sexual intercourse with your wives during the nights of fasting. They are the keepers of your secrets, and you are the keepers of their secrets. GOD knew that you used to betray your souls, and He has redeemed you, and has pardoned you. Henceforth, you may have intercourse with them, seeking what GOD has permitted for you. YOU MAY EAT AND DRINK UNTIL THE WHITE THREAD OF LIGHT BECOMES DISTINGUISHABLE FROM THE DARK THREAD OF NIGHT AT DAWN. THEN, YOU SHALL FAST UNTIL SUNSET. Sexual intercourse is prohibited if you decide to retreat to the masjid (during the last ten days of Ramadan). These are GOD's laws; you shall not transgress them. GOD thus clarifies His revelations for the people, that they may attain salvation.
nagib

Post by nagib »

I am surprised by the previous post, I thought the discussion on this issue had clarified both positions on the subject. I hope there are no people on this Forum that consider Islam as a religion of the past. Islam and the Celestial Quran are not bound by time and space.

No terrestial Quran compiled by human beings can be properly interpreted by people without the help of the Imam of the Time.

We have to stick to the sayings of our beloved prophet [pbuh] that command us to be Ibn'al Waqht, the children of our Time. If do not, than our religion will become a religion of the past, formulated for people of the then Arabia and we will fail the command of the Holy Prophet [pbuh] to be the children of our time.

Nagib
=====================
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

There is also more discussion on this issue with some pertinent anecdotes about Imam Sultan Muhammad Shah in this forum at:

Customs and Traditions --> Fasting

You may want to go there as well.