WHAT CAN I SAY - Sparks fly on PUBG

Post by swamidada »

BBC
PUBG: India-Pakistan gaming love story ends in jail
Cherylann Mollan and Abhinav Goel - BBC News, Delhi

Thu, July 6, 2023 at 4:16 AM CDT
PUBG love story
Seema Ghulam Haider met Sachin Meena through PUBG
The love story of a Pakistani woman and an Indian man who met through popular online game PUBG has been making headlines in India after the couple landed up in jail.

Seema Ghulam Haider, 27, met Sachin Meena, 22, through the virtual gaming platform a couple of years ago and recently travelled to India so that she could live with him.

She entered India illegally in May along with her four young children and they were staying with Mr Meena in Greater Noida - a city in the northern state of Uttar Pradesh - for over a month, police said.

On Tuesday, the couple was arrested. A court has remanded them in jail for 14 days. The woman's children are with their mother. The couple have told reporters that they want to get married and live together. Police say they are carrying out a detailed investigation into the case.

The India-Pakistan love story has sparked conversations around the role the virtual world plays in fostering real-life relationships across geographical borders.

Sparks fly on PUBG
Ms Haider married Ghulam Haider, a resident of Pakistan's Sindh province, in February 2014. The couple had four children - three daughters and a son - together.

Five years after their marriage, her husband moved to Saudi Arabia for work. Ms Haider began playing PUBG to keep herself occupied.

"I used to play PUBG for two to three hours a day and I got to know Sachin while playing the game," she told BBC Hindi. The two exchanged phone numbers and began speaking regularly.

PUBG love story
The rented room where the couple stayed
After their relationship had progressed over three years, Ms Haider decided to move to India to marry Mr Meena.

She has accused her husband of beating her and has told police that she had divorced him. Mr Haider has denied the domestic violence allegations and the divorce.

He has accused Ms Haider of selling their house in Pakistan and running away with their children and jewellery.

How the couple met
Police said that Ms Haider and Mr Meena first met in Nepal in March and stayed in a hotel for a couple of days before they returned to their respective countries.

In May, Ms Haider travelled to Nepal again on a tourist visa, this time with her four children. From there she took a bus to Delhi, senior police official in Greater Noida Saad Miya Khan told the BBC.

Police said she told them that she did not sell her husband's house but a plot of land that belonged to her parents to gather money for the trip and got the idea of entering India via Nepal from a YouTube video.

Mr Meena, who lives in Rabupura town in Greater Noida and works in a grocery shop, rented a room to stay with Ms Haider and her children.

His landlord, Girish Kumar, told the BBC that he never suspected anything illegal as Mr Meena had provided necessary government documents while renting the house and that his parents too had come to visit the couple.

PUBG love story
The couple's landlord Girish Kumar said he didn't suspect anything illegal was underway
How they got caught
The couple reportedly met a local lawyer for advice about Ms Haider's residency in India last week but the lawyer informed the police about them, Times of India newspaper reported.

"I was startled when I found that she and her children were carrying Pakistani passports," the lawyer told the newspaper, and added that Ms Haider was making inquiries about the process of getting married in India.

An India-Pakistan love story that went horribly wrong

The lawyer claimed that Ms Haider had said that her husband [Ghulam Haider] would physically assault her and that she had not met him in four years.

He also claimed that Ms Haider got up and left as soon as she was asked about her Indian visa and that one of his associates then followed her.

"When I learnt that they were living in Rabupura, I informed the police," the lawyer said.

Along with the couple, the police have arrested Mr Meena's father as well for sheltering Ms Haider without a visa.

The couple have appealed to the Indian government to help them get married.

Ms Haider's husband, meanwhile, claims that his wife has been "seduced" through PUBG and wants her to be returned to Pakistan with their children.

Additional reporting by Riyaz Sohail and Shumaila Khan

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/news/in ... 43497.html
Admin

Re: WHAT CAN I SAY

Post by Admin »

Regardless of who is who and what has happened, the lawyer should be kicked out of the profession for lack of ethics and breach of the client attorney privilege that he failed to uphold. But what can we say when there are so many rogue lawyers out there in all countries.
swamidada

Re: WHAT CAN I SAY

Post by swamidada »

Admin wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:25 pm Regardless of who is who and what has happened, the lawyer should be kicked out of the profession for lack of ethics and breach of the client attorney privilege that he failed to uphold. But what can we say when there are so many rogue lawyers out there in all countries.
AGREED.
swamidada

Re: WHAT CAN I SAY - Sparks fly on PUBG

Post by swamidada »

AFP
Iran hangs two in public over Shiraz shrine shooting

Sat, July 8, 2023 at 5:14 AM CDT

Iran hanged two men in public on Saturday over a shooting at a revered shrine in the southern city of Shiraz last year that killed more than a dozen people, the judiciary said.

The October 26 attack on the Shiite Muslim shrine of Shah Cheragh, which left 13 people dead and 30 wounded, was claimed by the Sunni Muslim extremist Islamic State (IS) group.

"The death sentences of two of the perpetrators of the Shah Cheragh terrorist attack were carried out in public this morning," the judiciary's Mizan Online website said.

The pair were hanged at dawn on a street near the shrine in Shiraz, the capital of Fars province, the official news agency IRNA reported. Mizan identified them as Mohammad Ramez Rashidi and Naeem Hashem Qatali.

Iran had previously said the attack involved people from other countries, including neighbouring Afghanistan, but the nationalities of the executed men were not immediately revealed.

The area of Iran that borders Afghanistan and Pakistan is a hotbed of unrest, and on Saturday four assailants killed two Iranian policemen in the Sunni-majority city of Zahedan near the same frontier, state media said.

All four "terrorists" involved in the attack were killed in ensuing clashes, IRNA cited the security forces as saying.

It was not immediately clear what was behind the attack in the capital of Sistan-Baluchistan province, a flashpoint for clashes with Sunni extremists as well as drug smugglers and rebels from the Baluchi minority.

Mizan said one of the men executed on Saturday, Rashidi, had confessed to having collaborated with IS to carry out October's shrine attack.

The two were sentenced to death in March after convictions of "corruption on earth, armed rebellion and acting against national security", as well as "conspiracy against the security of the country".

Fars chief justice Kazem Moussavi said at the time they were directly involved in the "arming, procurement, logistics and guidance" of the main perpetrator.

Three other defendants in the case were sentenced to prison for five, 15 and 25 years for being members of IS, he said.

The main assailant, who was later identified by media in Iran as Hamed Badakhshan, who was in his 30s, died of injuries suffered during his arrest, the authorities said.

In November, the Islamic republic said 26 "takfiri terrorists" from Afghanistan, Azerbaijan and Tajikistan had been arrested in connection with the attack.

In Shiite-dominated Iran, the term takfiri generally refers to jihadists or proponents of radical Sunni Islam.

The shrine attack came more than a month after protests erupted across Iran over the death of 22-year-old Iranian Kurdish woman Mahsa Amini, following her arrest in Tehran for allegedly violating the country's dress code for women.

In October, Iran's President Ebrahim Raisi blamed the "riots" -- the term officials use for protests -- for paving the way for "terrorist" attacks.

IS claimed its first attack in Iran in 2017 when armed men and suicide bombers attacked the parliament in Tehran and the mausoleum of Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, the founder of the Islamic republic, killing 17 people and wounding dozens.

Public executions are relatively rare in Iran with almost all hangings carried out inside prisons.

Iran executes more people annually than any nation other than China, according to rights groups including the London-based Amnesty International.

A United Nations fact-finding mission said this week that Iran had executed seven men in connection with the Amini protests, calling on it to stop the "chilling" practice.

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/news/ir ... 11491.html
swamidada

Post by swamidada »

BBC
'My mum was a courtesan - and not ashamed of it'

Cherylann Mollan - BBC News, Mumbai
Tue, July 18, 2023 at 8:13 AM CDT
Courtesan book

"I danced in the dark. I used to light up the room with candles and perform. In the blackout, my naseeb (fate) was going to shine."

The year was 1962. War had broken out between India and China over a disputed border and the Indian government had declared a state of national emergency.

Fear gripped people as wailing sirens and days-long blackouts became a part of daily life. The future seemed uncertain.

But Rekhabai wouldn't let the fear of dying dictate her destiny. Instead of shutting shop like the other courtesans (women entertainers), she would dress up in a beautiful sari night after night and sing and dance for the groups of men who came to watch her in the kotha - a Hindi word for a place where professional female dancers performed for men, or sometimes, even a brothel.

Her life had taught her that hardship was often a gateway to opportunity, or at least, survival. Rekhabai's tumultuous life is now the subject of a book, The Last Courtesan - Writing My Mother's Memoir, authored by her son Manish Gaekwad.

"My mother always wanted to tell her story," Gaekwad says and adds that he felt no shame or embarrassment in narrating it as, having lived with her in the kotha up until his late teens, her life was no secret to him.

"Growing up in a kotha, a child sees a lot more than he should. My mother knew this and didn't feel the need to hide anything," says Gaekwad. His book - written from the memories his mother narrated to him - gives the reader a shockingly honest look into the life of an Indian courtesan is the mid-1900s.

Courtesans, also known as tawaifs in popular culture, have been around since 2BC in the Indian subcontinent, says Madhur Gupta, an Odissi dancer and author of Courting Hindustan: The Consuming Passions of Iconic Women Performers of India.

"They were women entertainers whose function was to entertain and pleasure royalty and the Gods," says Mr Gupta. Before India came under British rule, courtesans were viewed as respected performers; they were highly trained in the arts, wealthy and enjoyed the patronage of some of the most powerful men of their times.

Courtesan book
The Hindi film Gangubai Kathiawadi is based on the life of courtesans
"But they also faced exploitation at the hands of men and society," Mr Gupta says. India's courtesan culture began to decline after the British - who saw them as "nautch girls" (dance girls) or merely sex workers - enacted laws aimed at curbing the practice.

Their status declined further after India gained independence in 1947 and many courtesans were forced to turn to prostitution to survive. The practice has completely died out now, but stories of famous courtesans and their fascinating lives live on in books and films.

And one such story is that of Rekhabai.

She was born in a poor family in the western city of Pune as the sixth among 10 siblings. Rekhabai doesn't remember the exact year or date, her memory about time is hazy. Tired of siring five girls, her drunk father allegedly tried to drown her in a pond after she was born.

At the age of nine or 10, she was married off to settle a family debt, and was later sold by her in-laws to a kotha in Bowbazar area in the eastern city of Kolkata.

She was not yet a teenager when she began training as a tawaif, learning to sing and dance. But her life and earnings were controlled by a female relative who was also a courtesan there.

During the India-China war, the relative left and Rekhabai got a chance to take charge of her own life. Her candlelight performances helped her become independent and left her with the realisation that she could be her own provider and protector if she was brave enough.

This would become her guiding principle for the rest of her life. Rekhabai - unlike her famous Bollywood counterparts in the films Umrao Jaan and Pakeezah - never pined after a man. She chose not to remarry, despite having a long list of patrons who courted her - from small-time criminals to rich sheikhs and renowned musicians - as it would mean having to give up her life as a tawaif and leave the kotha.

The kotha - the small space in which she performed, lived, raised her child and sheltered various members of her family at different times - ironically became a symbol of freedom and power for her.

Yet, it was also a space fraught with conflict and hardship, where circumstance ate away at innocence, stripped away humanity and evoked destructive emotions like rage, fear and despair.

In the book, Gaekwad narrates some deeply distressing memories his mother recounts, like when a thug pulled out a gun to shoot her after she refused to marry him.

In another place, Rekhabai recounts the abuse she faced from courtesans who were jealous of her success. Some tried to intimidate her by hiring gangsters to lurk outside her room; others called her a prostitute when she wasn't one.

But the kotha also forged her into the steely woman she became eventually. It's where she discovered her talent as a dancer, and the power it wielded over men looking to escape their own insecurities or the tedium and melancholia of life.

It's where she learnt to read men by the way they treated her and to placate egos when needed, or shred them to bits if they threatened to destroy her own.

"I had mastered the language of the kotha. I had to speak it if required," she says.

But along with this feisty, charming, street-smart performer, the kotha also saw Rekhabai transform into a doting, fiercely-protective mother who did everything in her power to give her son a better life.

Courtesan book
The courtesan character has featured in many Bollywood films
As a baby, she kept him close to her in the kotha. She recalls how she would run to check up on him between performances if she thought she heard him cry.

Later, she sent him to a boarding school and then bought an apartment so that he could invite his friends over without feeling embarrassed.

She took pride in the man her son was growing into - even though his English medium-education and more refined upbringing in the boarding school made him different from her in many ways.

In a heart-warming anecdote, she recalls a time her son, who was visiting during vacations, asks for a fork and spoon to eat with.

"I knew of forks [kaanta in Hindi], but I had never heard what it was called in English before… I had to go to the market to buy them when you explained [what it was]," she says in the book.

In the late 2000s, the courtesan culture had completely vanished and Rekhabai left the kotha to live in her apartment in Kolkata. She died in the western city of Mumbai in February. Gaekwad says he will always remain in awe of his mother, her fortitude, talent and zest for life.

"I hope men read this book," he says, and adds that Indian men have these "constructs around the mother figure, where she has to be a paragon of purity".

"But I hope this book helps people identify the individuality of their mothers and accept who they are as people, independent from their relationship with us.

"https://currently.att.yahoo.com/news/re ... 28046.html
swamidada

Post by swamidada »

Video emerges of mob parading 2 women naked in India’s Manipur, case filed against ‘800-1,000’ miscreants: reports
Dawn.com Published July 19, 2023 Updated 2 days ago 0

A video has emerged of two women being paraded naked by a mob in what has been identified as India’s violence-hit Manipur state, according to local media reports, which say that a case has been registered over the incident against “800-1,000 unknown miscreants”.

Violence in Manipur between members of the mainly Christian Kuki ethnic group, who mostly live in the hills, and the mostly Hindu Meiteis, the dominant community in the low lands, erupted on May 3, sparked by resentment over economic benefits and quotas in government jobs and education reserved for hill people.

The EU parliament last week said the violence has “left at least 120 people dead, 50,000 displaced and over 1,700 houses and 250 churches destroyed” in the state on the Myanmar border that is governed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s party.

Today, Indian news website Scroll.in reported a video of two Kuki women, in which “scores of young men can be seen walking alongside [them] as other men drag the distressed-looking women into the fields” had emerged.

Scroll.in said it spoke to one of the women seen in the video who said the incident took place in her village in Kangpokpi district on May 4, a day after clashes erupted.

The woman said she and her family, among others, were escaping after they heard that Meitei mobs were “burning homes” in a nearby village. But a mob found them, she added.

She told Scroll.in that one of her neighbours and his son were killed by the mob, which also assaulted women, asking “to strip off our clothes”.

“When we resisted, they told me: ‘If you don’t take off your clothes, we will kill you,’” the report quoted her as saying.

She said she took off “every item of clothing” only in order to “protect herself”. All this while, she continued, the men slapped and punched her.

The report further quoted the woman as saying that she was dragged to a paddy field near and ordered to “lie down”.

“I did as they told me, and three men surrounded me … One of them told the other, ‘let’s rape her’, but ultimately they did not,” she said.

Scroll.in, citing a police complaint filed by the relatives of one of the survivors, reported that a woman was also gang-raped during the episode.

According to the report, based on the complaint, police said a zero first information report (FIR) was registered in the Saikul police station of the Kangpokpi district on May 18.

A zero FIR allows any police station to accept and lodge a complaint before forwarding it to the relevant station, the report explained.

It said an official at the Saikul police station said rape and murder charges were registered against “800-1,000 unknown miscreants” in the FIR.

“The particular incident, according to the complaint, involves five residents of the village who were fleeing ‘towards the forest’ to save themselves.

“The group comprised two men and three women. Three of them belonged to the same family: a 56-year-old man, his 19-year-old son and 21-year-old daughter. Two other women, one 42 years old and the other aged 52, were also part of the group,” the report elaborated on the FIR’s contents.

According to the FIR, the report said, these five individuals were on their way to the first when they were “rescued” by a team from the Nongpok Sekmai police station.

They were then “blocked on the way by a mob and snatched from the custody of the police team by the violent mob near Toubu”, the report cited the FIR, further stating that the mob was said to have immediately killed the old man after “all the three women were physically forced to remove their clothes and were stripped naked in front of the mob.”

The FIR said the 21-year-old woman was “brutally gang raped in broad daylight” while the other two women “managed to escape from the spot with the help of some people of the area who were known to them”.

It added that the 21-year-old’s younger brother attempted to defend his sister but he was “murdered by members of the mob on the spot”.

Meanwhile, India Today reported that the Indigenous Tribal Leaders’ Forum demanded that the central and state governments, National Commission for Women and National Commission for Scheduled Tribes “take cognisance of the offence and bring the culprits before the law”.

It added that members of the Kuki tribe were also planning to highlight the incident during a planned protest march on Thursday.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1765645/video ... ts-reports
swamidada

Post by swamidada »

INSIDER
A 13-year-old who couldn't get an abortion is now starting 7th grade as a mom, report says

Gabby Landsverk
Mon, August 14, 2023 at 4:00 PM CDT

A young girl in Mississippi gave birth after being sexually assaulted by a stranger outside her home, Time reported.

Because of the state's strict abortion laws, the nearest abortion provider was 9 hours away.

Her doctor said the girl had "no clue" what was happening and didn't understand pregnancy.

A 13-year-old from Clarksdale, Mississippi will start seventh grade as a new mom after being sexually assaulted and unable to get access to an abortion, Time reported.

The girl, referred to by the pseudonym Ashley in the report to protect her privacy, was raped in autumn of 2022 and told no one for weeks, her mother Regina (also a pseudonym) told Time.

Regina had noticed something was wrong when Ashley lost interest in her usual hobbies, like TikTok dances, and had symptoms such as nausea. Regina said she hadn't even talked to her daughter about how babies are made because she felt Ashley was too young to understand, according to Time.

Despite severe trauma that left Ashley almost unable to speak, Regina later learned that Ashley had been assaulted by an unknown man while she had been outside their house.

Ashley was already 10 weeks pregnant by the time her pregnancy was discovered
Regina told Time that she brought Ashley to the emergency room on January 11, 2023 because she couldn't stop vomiting. While they were there, bloodwork showed that Ashley was 10 or 11 weeks pregnant.

"She just had no clue," Dr. Erica Balthrop, a provider at the Clarksdale Woman's Clinic and the OB-GYN on call, told Time.

Regina was told that the closest abortion provider was a nine-hour drive away in Chicago. But the family couldn't afford the cost of gas, food, or lodging along with the procedure itself and time off work to complete the journey.

Instead, the family did their best to disguise the fact that Ashley was pregnant with oversized clothes until it was too obvious to hide. Then they removed her from school, saying she needed surgery for an ulcer, Time reported.

Ashley completed sixth grade on her laptop, and gave birth to her son, nicknamed Peanut, on a Saturday when she was 39 weeks pregnant. Her mother told Time that she's working to get Ashley permission to start seventh grade from home, too.

Strict abortion laws disproportionately affect high-risk mothers, experts say
Mississippi's abortion laws are some of the most restrictive in the nation. On paper, they allow exceptions in the case of rape or if the mother's life is at risk, but the process for obtaining exemptions isn't clear, Time reported.

Mississippi also has high rates of poverty and maternal mortality. Black women in Mississippi are four times as likely to die from pregnancy-related complications as white women, according to state Department of Health data. And pregnancy-related health complications are on the rise as a result of stricter bans on abortion, the Washington Post reported.

There are also few providers available in regions of the country where states have banned abortion, including Texas, Mississippi, Arkansas, Tennessee, and Alabama, following the Supreme Court's overturning of Roe v. Wade in June 2022.

Meanwhile, stricter laws are leading to significantly more births. But most people don't even realize they're pregnant until week seven, which is already too late to get an abortion in a dozen states.

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/att/cm/ ... 41423.html
swamidada

Post by swamidada »

Associated Press
Taliban official says women lose value if their faces are visible to men in public

Molvi Mohammad Sadiq Akif, the spokesman for the Taliban's Ministry of Vice and Virtue, speaks during an interview in Kabul, Afghanistan, Thursday, Aug. 17, 2023. Molvi said that women lose value if their faces are visible to men in public and that the only way to wear the hijab, or the Islamic headscarf, is if the face is hidden.
RIAZAT BUTT
Updated Thu, August 17, 2023 at 11:04 AM CDT
KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — Women lose value if men can see their uncovered faces in public, a spokesman for a key ministry of Afghanistan’s Taliban government said Thursday, adding that religious scholars in the country agree that a woman must keep her face covered when outside the home.

The Taliban, who took over the country in August of 2021, has cited the failure of women to observe the proper way to wear the hijab, or Islamic headscarf, as a reason for barring them from most public spaces, including parks, jobs and university.

Molvi Mohammad Sadiq Akif, the spokesman for the Taliban’s Ministry of Vice and Virtue, said in an interview Thursday with The Associated Press that if women’s faces are visible in public there is a possibility of fitna, or falling into sin.

“It is very bad to see women (without the hijab) in some areas (big cities), and our scholars also agree that women’s faces should be hidden,” Akif said. “It’s not that her face will be harmed or damaged. A woman has her own value and that value decreases by men looking at her. Allah gives respect to females in hijab and there is value in this.”

Dr. Tim Winter, who is the Shaykh Zayed Lecturer in Islamic Studies at the Faculty of Divinity at Cambridge University, said there was no scriptural mandate in Islam for face coverings and the Taliban would struggle to find anything in Islamic scripture that backed their interpretation of hijab rules.

“Their name implies they are not senior religious experts,” he told The AP. “The word Taliban means students. "

He said the Taliban operate on the basis of textbooks used in village madrassas, religious schools, and that Muslim scholars who have been to Afghanistan during both periods of Taliban rule have been underwhelmed by their level of religious knowledge. “They have just been so isolated from the wider Muslim community.”

The Taliban’s restrictions on girls and women have caused global outrage, including from some Muslim-majority countries.

On Wednesday, U.N. special envoy Gordon Brown said the International Criminal Court should prosecute Taliban leaders for crimes against humanity for denying education and employment to Afghan girls and women.

Akif, who is the main spokesman for the Vice and Virtue Ministry, did not answer questions about the bans, including whether any of them could be lifted if there were to be universal adherence to hijab rules. He said there were other departments to deal with these issues.

Akif said the ministry faced no obstacles in its work and that people supported its measures.

“People wanted to implement Sharia (Islamic law) here. Now we’re carrying out the implementation of Sharia.” All the decrees are Islamic rulings and the Taliban have added nothing to them, he said. “The orders of Sharia were issued 1,400 years ago and they are still there.”

He said that under the current administration men no longer harass or stare at women like they used to do in the time of the previous government.

The Taliban government also says it has destroyed the “evils” of drinking alcohol and bacha bazi, a practice in which wealthy or powerful men exploit boys for entertainment, especially dancing and sexual activities.

The ministry is in a fortified compound near Darul Aman Palace in the Afghan capital, Kabul. Women are forbidden from entering ministry premises, some of the guards who were on duty Thursday told The AP, although there is a female-only security screening hut.

Slogans on concrete barricades praise the purpose of the ministry.

One reads: “The promotion of virtues and the prohibition of vices are an effective means of social order.” Another says: “The promotion of virtues and the prohibition of vices save society from catastrophe.”

Akif said the ministry relies on a network of officials and informants to check if people are following regulations.

“Our ombudsmen walk in markets, public places, universities, schools, madrasas and mosques,” he said. “They visit all these places and watch people. They also speak with them and educate them. We monitor them and people also cooperate with and inform us.”

When asked if women can go to parks, one of the spaces they are banned from, he said they would be able to if certain conditions could be met.

“You can go to the park, but only if there are no men there. If there are men, then Sharia does not allow it. We don’t say that a woman can’t do sports, she can’t go to the park or she can’t run. She can do all these things, but not in the same way as some women want, to be semi-naked and among men."

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/news/ta ... 07862.html
swamidada

Post by swamidada »

A principal of a private school in Karachi’s Gulshan-i-Hadeed area has been detained on allegations of raping and blackmailing women, according to police officials.

Steel Town police Station House Officer (SHO) Nand Lal told Dawn.com on Monday that the school principal was taken into custody after videos of the alleged rape incidents went viral on social media.

The matter came to light when a technician came across these videos while repairing a CCTV at the principal’s school, the SHO said, adding that around 20-25 videos were subsequently uploaded on social media.

He said the suspect had confessed to raping women after luring them with the prospect of a job and making their videos to blackmail them.

The official further told Dawn.com that a man had also demanded Rs1 million in extortion from the school principal after he acquired the video. The SHO did not elaborate on how the alleged extortionist acquired the video.

However, he added that the school principal had told police that he had submitted an application at Malir City Police Station, seeking action against the alleged extortionist.

The SHO said the police intervened in the matter before “any agreement between the two was reached” and took the school principal into custody.

He said a first information report (FIR) would be registered against him on behalf of the state through a police officer, and none of the women allegedly raped by him had approached police so far.

Separately, Malir Senior Superintendent of Police Hassan Sardar told the media that 25 videos were recovered from the suspect while five of the women who were allegedly raped by him had been identified.

Meanwhile, Sindh Governor Kamran Tessori also took notice of the incident and sought a report from the Sindh school education secretrary.

In a statement issued to the media, the governor said the Karachi additional inspector general must take action against those found guilty.

Separately, Sindh Inspector General of Police Riffat Mukhtar Raja took notice of the matter and sought details from the Malir SSP.

He directed police to ensure impartial and transparent inquiry into the matter.

School sealed
Meanwhile, the Sindh Education and Literacy Department directed authorities to seal the school “immediately” and hold a probe into the matter.

In a letter addressed to Malir deputy commissioner (DC), a copy of which is available with Dawn.com, Education and Literacy Department acting Director General, Muhammad Afzal said interim provincial Education Minister Rana Hussain had taken strict notice of the matter and ordered action against the culprit.

“As per the record of this directorate, the school is not registered with the relevant authority and it is functioning without any legal status,” the letter read.

It directed the DC to investigate the matter “with full length and immediately seal the school premises”.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1774018/karac ... ling-women
swamidada

Post by swamidada »

Probe launched after US cop recorded mocking 23-year-old Indian woman killed by police car
Dawn.com Published September 15, 2023 Updated about 9 hours ago investigation is under way against a police officer in Seattle, US, after bodycam footage recorded him laughing at an Indian woman fatally struck by a patrol car, according to a BBC report.

On January 23, Jaahnavi Kandula, a 23-year-old graduate student at Northeastern University’s Seattle campus, lost her life when she was struck by a police car while crossing the street.

The officer in question, identified as Daniel Auderer, had been dispatched to the crash site, as indicated in the police documents.

The following day, Auderer’s body-worn camera captured a phone call in which he could be heard discussing the incident.

“She is dead,” the officer was heard saying before laughing. “No, it’s a regular person. Yeah, just write a cheque for $11,000,” he said, before laughing again, the BBC report said.

“Eleven thousand dollars. She was 26, anyway. She had limited value,” the officer was quoted as saying.

Auderer was purportedly engaged in a conversation with union president Mike Solan.

For his part, the officer has claimed that his remarks were “misconstrued” and “taken out of context”.

Earlier this week, the Seattle Police Department issued a statement revealing that the conversation came to light through an employee who had encountered it “in the routine course of business,” the BBC reported.

The employee concerned expressed apprehensions about the content of the statements and subsequently raised these concerns up the hierarchy, the report added.

Following this, authorities transferred the case to the Office of Police Accountability, the entity responsible for probing police misconduct.

“This agency is currently scrutinizing the circumstances surrounding the statements and evaluating whether any policies were infringed upon,” the Seattle Police Department said.

Meanwhile, the Consulate General of India in San Francisco has called the handling of Kandula’s death “deeply troubling”.

The consulate said on X that they have contacted state and local authorities in addition to officials in Washington, demanding a “thorough investigation” and “action against those involved in this tragic case”.

Indian news website NDTV reported that the US government has assured India of a quick and fair investigation into the death of Kandula.

“Senior administration officials are believed to have assured India’s Ambassador to the US, Taranjit Singh Sandhu, that the entire incident has been taken very seriously by them,” it stated.

The NDTV report added that Seattle City Mayor Bruce Harrell has written a letter to the victim’s family, saying that the comments made by one person do not reflect the feelings of the city or the communities that call it home.

“We recognize that Jaahnavi’s death is a loss for our whole community – the loss of a young woman who had so much life ahead of her to do amazing things and share that joy with loved ones,” Harrell said in his communication to the Kandula family.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1776037/probe ... police-car
swamidada

Post by swamidada »

‘90pc of beggars’ arrested abroad are of Pakistani origin, Senate body told
Nadir Guramani Published September 27, 2023 Updated about 7 hours ago

Senator Manzooor Kakar chairs a meeting of the Senate Standing Committee on Overseas Pakistanis on Wednesday at the Upper House.
The Senate Standing Committee on Overseas Pakistanis was informed on Wednesday that a growing number of beggars from Pakistan were moving abroad, which has spurred “human trafficking”.

Overseas Ministry Secretary Zulfikar Haider made this disclosure during a discussion in the Senate panel on the issue of skilled and unskilled labour leaving the country.

In a startling revelation, Haider informed the committee that a staggering “90 per cent of beggars” arrested in foreign countries were of Pakistani origin.

He explained that many beggars exploited pilgrim visas to travel to Saudi Arabia, Iran, and Iraq.

The official further revealed that a significant number of pickpockets apprehended in holy sites like Haram were also Pakistani nationals.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1778152/90pc- ... -body-told
swamidada

Post by swamidada »

16 ‘beggars’ offloaded from Saudi Arabia-bound flight

The Newspaper's Staff Reporter Published October 1, 2023 Updated about 23 hours ago
FIA offloads 16 passengers at Multan airport. — FIA

LAHORE: The Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) has got offloaded 16 alleged beggars in the disguise of Umrah pilgrims from Kingdom of Saudi Arabia-bound flight at Multan airport two days ago.

According to the FIA, the group, consisting of 16 persons, including a child, 11 women and four men, was initially traveling on Umrah visas.

The FIA officials during the immigration process questioned the passengers who confessed that they were going to visit the KSA to seek alms.

They also revealed that they would have to give half of their earnings from begging to the agents involved in their travel arrangements. They were to return to Pakistan after the expiry of their Umrah visas. The FIA Multan circle arrested the passengers for further interrogation and legal action.

The arrests came a day after the Ministry of Overseas Pakistanis and Human Resource Development disclosed to the Senate Committee on Overseas Pakistanis that a significant proportion of beggars are trafficked abroad through illegal channels.

The ministry’s secretary revealed to the Senate panel that a staggering 90 percent of beggars apprehended in foreign countries belong to Pakistan.

“Both the Iraqi and Saudi ambassadors have reported overcrowded jails due to these arrests,” he had said.

Published in Dawn, October 1st, 2023

https://www.dawn.com/news/1778629/16-be ... und-flight
swamidada

Post by swamidada »

The Independent
Nurse crushed in MRI machine freak accident
Holly Hales
Mon, October 30, 2023 at 11:31 AM

A nurse has suffered severe injuries after she was crushed in a freak accident with an MRI machine.

The horror incident took place in February and was recorded in a recently released OSHA investigation involving Redwood City Medical Center in Redwood, California.

According to the report, the MRI’s magnetic force caused the bed to be “pulled uncontrollably” into the machine.

Nurse Ainah Cervantes became pinned between the bed and the machine, suffering crushing injuries, according to KTVU.

“I was getting pushed by the bed,” she said, according to a report obtained by the news channel.

“Basically, I was running backwards, If I didn’t run, the bed would smash me underneath.”

Findings by the California Department of Public Health revealed the hospital ‘failed to provide radiologic services in a safe manner’

Ms Cervantes’ injuries included a severe laceration that required surgery to fit two screws.

The patient fell off the hospital bed during the incident but was otherwise unharmed.

Findings by the California Department of Public Health revealed the hospital “failed to provide radiologic services in a safe manner”.

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/att/cm/ ... 26370.html
swamidada

Post by swamidada »

The Independent
Ten-year-old boy gets harsh sentence for public urination
Mike Bedigan
Thu, December 14, 2023 at 4:16 PM CST·

Ten-year-old boy gets harsh sentence for public urination
A 10-year-old Mississippi boy who was arrested for public urination has been sentenced to three months probation, in a decision that lawyers say was influenced by his race.

Quantavious Eason was handcuffed and “caged” after an officer spotted him urinating in a parking lot near an attorney’s office in the small town of Senatobia on 10 August, according to his mother.

The boy was locked in a cell for between 45 minutes and an hour, she said.

On Tuesday, a youth court handed down the sentence to the youngster, requiring him and his mother – LaTonya Eason – to check in with a judge once a month. He will also be required to write a two-page essay about his favourite basketball player, Kobe Bryant.

Carlos Moore, the Eason family’s attorney, said the arrest and subsequent sentence was “unreasonable”.

“He did not plead guilty to anything, he was not found guilty of anything but it’s an informal adjustment probation,” Mr Moore told NBC.

“People he should trust to protect and serve, he doesn’t feel that they treated him fairly and that he would get a fair shake in life through the police or the justice system.

“I think it is unreasonable that a 10-year-old would be arrested for doing something I did as a child from Mississippi, and I’m a successful attorney.

“So it’s not criminal and he should never have been in contact with the juvenile justice system for simply urinating discreetly.”

Mr Moore added that race may have played a role in Quantavious’ harsh sentence. “Black boys are demonised or criminalised from a young age,” he said.

“Had he been a little white boy urinating discreetly he would never have been arrested.”

Mr Moore said the family intended to take the case to “the highest heights” of the criminal justice system and would file in federal court, adding: “they are going to pay this family for what they have endured.”

Ms Eason previously called for several officers from the Senatobia Police Department to be fired over the incident, after which Quantavious was charged with “child in need of supervision”.

“My son did not deserve that. Nobody’s kid deserves that,” Ms Eason said during a previous news conference. “I would feel the same way if that was somebody else’s child.”

In a statement in August, Senatobia Police Department chief Richard Chandler said that it was “an error in judgment” to take the child into custody when his mother was present.

He said one of the five officers involved in the incident was no longer working at the department.

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/att/cm/ ... 24114.html
swamidada

Post by swamidada »

Indian man, 103, marries woman, 49, in viral wedding
Carl Samson
Wed, January 31, 2024 at 4:31 PM CST·

A couple in India who married with an age gap of 54 years has gone viral on social media.

The viral wedding: Habib Nazar, 103, tied the knot with Firoz Jahan, 49, in an Islamic wedding ceremony in the Itwara region of Bhopal, central India, last year. However, it was only this month when their marriage made headlines after a video from their wedding went viral.

In the video, a person is heard congratulating the newlyweds as they head home from the ceremony. A smiling Nazar thanks them and others who expressed well wishes.

About the couple: Nazar, according to local media, is regarded as one of India’s freedom fighters — individuals who actively participated in the country’s struggle for independence from British rule. Last year’s marriage was his third.

“I’m 103 years old and my wife is 49. I got married for the first time in Nashik. After she passed away, I went to Lucknow to tie the knot again. My second wife also left for the other world. I was feeling lonely. So I married again,” he told reporters.

Jahan, on the other hand, tied the knot for the second time after her husband passed away. She reportedly agreed to the marriage to take care of the freedom fighter, stressing that no one forced her to do so.

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/news/in ... 54529.html
swamidada

Post by swamidada »

The Daily Beast
Adam Montgomery Ate Fast Food After Fatal Blow to 5-Year-Old Daughter: Prosecutor
Pilar Melendez
Thu, February 8, 2024 at 11:13 AM CST·

After delivering a fatal blow to Harmony Montgomery’s head out of anger over a bathroom accident in the car, Adam Montgomery ate his Burger King while his 5-year-old daughter moaned and made gurgling sounds in the back seat, prosecutors said Thursday. Then the 34-year-old father is said to have begun driving again before pulling over into a parking lot and doing drugs for 20 minutes.

“He ate his food, did his drugs, and Harmony slowly died,” prosecutor Christopher Knowles told Hillsborough County Superior Court jurors about the December 2019 murder during opening statements.

When Montgomery finally realized that he had murdered his daughter, prosecutors said, he allegedly grabbed a duffle bag from his trunk and shoved his daughter’s body inside—starting his months-long journey of transporting Harmony from various places before he eventually dumped her body in March 2020. Prosecutors say that Harmony was not reported missing until December 2021, launching an investigation that revealed a pattern of alleged abuse.

Harmony’s body has never been found.

“She went from [being] a girl who radiated happiness, to a scared girl, and from there she went to be the dead girl rotting in the bag,” Knowles said. “And then she went to be the dead girl rotting in the ceiling, a ceiling the defendant slept under for months.”

Montgomery was not present in court Thursday, marking the second day he has not attended his murder trial. He has pleaded not guilty to several charges, including second-degree murder, in connection with Harmony’s Dec. 7, 2019 death. On Wednesday, Montgomery told a judge he will admit to two charges: abuse of a corpse and falsifying physical evidence.

Despite the harrowing allegations against Montgomery, he has maintained his innocence in the murder, noting at his August sentencing in a separate firearms case that he did not kill Harmony. “And I look forward to my upcoming trial to refuse those offensive claims,” he said before he was sentenced to at least 15 years in prison.

Defense lawyers on Thursday insisted that while Montgomery should be convicted of his efforts to conceal and dispose of Harmony’s body, the father is not responsible for the child’s “tragic and senseless” death. Public defender James T. Brooks instead pinned the blame on Montgomery’s estranged wife, Kayla, who was inside the car during the murder and is expected to be a star witness for the prosecution.

“Only she knows the truth. And only she has benefited from all the lies she has told,” Brooks said.

Prosecutors argued that Montgomery always disdained the daughter he shared with Crystal Sorey. He allegedly even told a person that he “hated Harmony to his core.”

“She was evil...Reminded me of her mother,” Montgomery told the friend, according to Knowles. “I hated her.”

Sorey testified that after Montgomery took custody of Harmony in 2019, she only saw her daughter twice. Montgomery allegedly started abusing Harmony shortly after, including giving her a black eye in July 2019.

Montgomery’s uncle, Kevin, testified that when he asked Adam about Harmony’s injuries, he responded, “I bashed her around the fucking house.”

After Montgomery allegedly killed his daughter, he moved her body to multiple locations, including a restaurant fridge, a ceiling vent, a family homeless shelter, and even a cooler, prosecutors said. Then he allegedly “butchered her body” and “disposed of her like yesterday’s trash,” prosecutors allege.

To dispose of her remains, prosecutors say, Montgomery compressed Harmony’s body and added lime to accelerate the decomposition process. “Harmony, at that point, was skin and bones,” Knowles said.

Prosecutors say that Montgomery had a friend rent a U-Haul, which he then allegedly used to move his daughter’s remains in the middle of the night. MassDOT records show the U-Haul captured on video crossing the Tobin Bridge in Boston at around 4:44 a.m. and returning about an hour later.

“He told Kayla that he was not going to tell her where he was going to dump Harmony,” Knowles said. “He was in control, he had all the pieces.”

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/att/cm/ ... 11608.html
swamidada

Post by swamidada »

HuffPost
Mom Who Left Toddler Alone In Playpen While She Went On Vacation Gets Life Sentence
Drusilla Moorhouse
Mon, March 18, 2024 at 7:28 PM

A Cleveland woman who pleaded guilty to aggravated murder after leaving her toddler home alone in a playpen while she went on a 10-day vacation was sentenced Monday to life in prison without parole.

A judge found that Kristel Candelario, 32, had committed “the ultimate act of betrayal” when she left her 16-month-old daughter, Jailyn Candelario, in a playpen, “trapped in a tiny prison,” while she traveled to Puerto Rico and Detroit last June.

“Just as you didn’t let Jailyn out of her confinement, so too you should spend the rest of your life in a cell without freedom,” Judge Brendan Sheehan told Candelario in handing down the sentence.

Forensic pathologist Elizabeth Mooney determined Jailyn died from starvation and severe dehydration due to pediatric neglect and ruled Jailyn’s death a homicide.

Kristel Candelario left her 16-month-old daughter, Jailyn Candelario, home alone while she went on a 10-day vacation.
Kristel Candelario left her 16-month-old daughter, Jailyn Candelario, home alone while she went on a 10-day vacation. Family photo via WKYC
Candelario also pleaded guilty to child endangerment.

In the sentencing hearing Monday, which was livestreamed by Cleveland news station WKYC, prosecutors played security video of Candelario leaving her home on June 6 with a suitcase and returning on the morning of June 16. About 10 minutes later, authorities said, Candelario called 911, saying that her daughter was dying.

Prosecutors said Candelario redressed her daughter in clean clothes before first responders arrived, but Mooney said in court that she found feces on Jailyn’s hands and feet, under her fingernails and on her mouth and teeth — which investigators said they initially believed was dirt.

Mooney’s voice quivered as she described the “terrifying” circumstances of the toddler’s death, saying Jailyn experienced extreme and prolonged suffering for as long as a week before she died.

Candelario, a former substitute teacher, initially told investigators that she had been home caring for her daughter, who had been ill and vomiting before she found her unresponsive on June 16.

Cleveland Police Sgt. Teresa Gomez, one of the homicide investigators on the case, thanked the court for allowing her to be “a voice for Jailyn” when describing the “horrific” results of the investigation.

“Candelario placed more importance on a vacation in Puerto Rico with her boyfriend than the health, safety and well-being of her own daughter,” Gomez said.

“Jailyn died a long and painful death, afraid and alone, while her mother enjoyed the beach and sun,” Gomez said.

Candelario’s defense attorney, Derek Smith, said that Candelario had been treated for depression and anxiety, but that her illness was “no justification” for her actions.

“They were narcissistic, selfish, abhorrent — absolutely worst parenting imaginable,” he said.

Candelario’s parents asked the judge for mercy and compassion, saying through an interpreter that their daughter had suffered from “mental and emotional illnesses” that affected her “good judgment and reason.”

Candelario cried as she told the judge about her immense pain and struggles with depression.

“I am not trying to justify my actions, but nobody knew how much I was suffering and what I was going through,” Candelario said through an interpreter. Every day she prays for forgiveness, she said.

The judge said Candelario’s attempts to cover up her crime showed to him that she wasn’t remorseful.

She had many opportunities to save her daughter, he said, who probably lived for a week while she was gone.

“Despite all of her suffering, that little baby persevered, waiting for someone to save her. And you could have done that with a simple phone call,” he said.

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/news/mo ... 03671.html
swamidada

Post by swamidada »

E! News
Man Arrested After Allegedly Eating Leg of Person Killed by Train
Brahmjot Kaur
Tue, March 26, 2024 at 3:43 PM CDT·

The city of Wasco, Calif., is in shock after a disturbing incident.

A man, identified as Rosendo Tellez, 27, has been arrested after allegedly removing human remains from the city's Amtrack Station following an incident in which a pedestrian was struck by a train. Eyewitnesses at the scene, including local construction worker Jose Ibarra, alleged they saw Tellez—who residents in Wasco said is homeless—eating a human leg.

"Whatever he had in his hand, he started biting in on it and everything, and it turned out to be a person's leg," Ibarra recalled to NBC affiliate KGET. "On the video that we have, it shows clearly that he started chewing on the leg and everything."

A video posted to social media showed Tellez bent over what seemed to be a leg before he waved it around as police cars were parked in the area.

Tellez was arrested on March 22 on one misdemeanor count of "removal of human remains from other than a cemetery," one misdemeanor count of possession of controlled substance paraphernalia and one felony offense of "revocation of felony probation," according to records from Kern County Sheriff's Office obtained by E! News.

Police arrived at the scene of the fatal train collision that killed the unidentified victim around 8 a.m. March 22, KGET reported. That same day, Tellez was arrested.

E! News has reached out to the Kern County District Attorney's office but has not heard back and has been unable to locate Tellez's legal representation.

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/att/cm/ ... 24791.html