Wazu

Past or Present customs and their evolution
Etssmmx

Wazu

Post by Etssmmx »

Error
Last edited by Etssmmx on Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wazu

Post by Guest »

The Ismaili Faith is a Ruhani Deen. IMAM SMS Rajkot oct 21 1903

Imam calls us Ruhani children.

"My Beloved spiritual children."

We go to JK and take off our shoes. this is a gesture symbolic of keeping your awareness of body outside thereby focussing only on ruh.

We go to JK as ruhani children of Imam-e-zaman.
Imam Sultan Mohd Shah stated that the human body becomes impure but ruh doesn't become impure. oct 4 1905 nairobi "Zaherima manasnu badan napaak thaiche pun ruh napaak thato nathi".

If you realize that you are the ruhani child of the Imam then the most Important thing becomes the ruh and the awareness of its existance 24 X 7.

Sun oct 4 1959
"Now, if you read into Islamic History, into traditions of Prophet, you will find exactly the same thing. If you read through Hadiths, you will find that there has never been any compulsion, any obligation in religion. A religion is a thing which must be spontaneous to you. And I am convinced that if it is not spontaneous and at the same time understandable to your reason, you will find yourselves as grown-up men and grown-up women in the most terrible difficulty knowing how to guide your children, knowing how to guide their own beliefs."

Ismailism is founded on love for the Imam.

Focus on what is eternal not the ephemeral (transient).

Focus on the body creates questions about the body.

"Nathi joti tamari jaan, nathi joto tamaro maal, ame to tamaro dil mangiye che"
"Don't want your life, don't want your wealth, we are asking for your heart"
Etssmmx

Re: Wazu

Post by Etssmmx »

Error
Last edited by Etssmmx on Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

I think we should not forget that Islam is based on intention first. And if the Wazu was to keep the body clean before prayers, today we do have the facility of showers to clean the whole body, not just few body parts. An I guess people come to prayer after taking a shower. So the intention as well as the action is respected....

--------------
shamsu

washing hands and feet.

Post by shamsu »

Dar-es-Salaam sept 29 1899

Original Usul-e-Deen Farman (Translation.)(A translation that is, word for word, most accurate)

Imam SMS (salwat)
"You do not know how your ancestors were. In the past, Omar Khayyam was a Sunni Shariati lawyer. He had the Book in his hand. He used to uselessly speak of washing his hands and feet. Then he thought that washing his hands and feet in that fashion made him a barber, and he realized that this was a barber’s task. Then, little by little, he started thinking of the knowledge of God. Later, he became friends with Nassir Khusraw. Once he was friends with Nassir Khusraw, Omar Khayyam, progressively making efforts, reached his own status. He is ever existent. In his book, he wrote: "I am forever alive."
(salwat)

This part was edited from the original farman hence the recent reprints do not have this included.
shamsu

Rasulillah(salwat) and Wazu

Post by shamsu »

Etssmmx

Are you sure Rasulillah(salwat) did not even ONCE in his lifetime pray without wazu(washing hands and feet).

Check your resources.

The reason we do not smoke or drink is because our Imam commanded us not to.

Tomorrow if he commands us to perform wazu with alcohol, we sure will.

Perfect Farman Implementation is a promise we make to our Imam at the time of Baiyat and that is paramount.

Life, Family, Wealth and Reputation are expendable when it comes to Farman Implementation.
Etssmmx

Post by Etssmmx »

<P>error</P>
Last edited by Etssmmx on Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
shamsu

wazu with alcohol

Post by shamsu »

Dear Sean,

The statement about doing wazu with alcohol is also from farman of Imam SMS.

Imam stated that our Iman and Farman Implementation should be so perfect that if Imam says it is night when it appears to be day we would accept it and if he ask's us to perform wazu with alcohol we would do so.

The last statement in my post about sacrificing life, children, wealth and respect for deen is also from Imam SMS farman.

Rasulillah is known to have said salaat sitting down and even lying down during his lifetime.
I personally do not have the information in my consciousness about him praying without wazu but my heart states it is true, hence my provocative statement was an attempt to induce a detailed response from you or anyone else.
shamsu

Ismailism has nothing to do with the body.

Post by shamsu »

Dear Sean,

I apologize for hurting your feelings.

I was articulating my thoughts and forgot how I was coming across to you at a personal level.

Here is some more of our Imams noor.

Mowlana Mustansirbillah II

"Jawan-mardi XII.

Consists of this: the believer must keep pure and clean both in his body and soul.

The ablution of the head means to keep oneself obedient to the Imam.

The ablution of the hand is swearing allegiance (bayat dadan) to the Imam of the time.

The ablution of the foot is to advance along the Imam's way in obedience to him.

The ablution of the heart is to keep steady in affection for the Imam.

The ablution of the tongue is to keep on continually remembering (dhikr) the Imam.

The ablution of the ear is to hear the words of the Imam.

The ablution of the eye is to have the chance of the didar of the Imam of the time.

The one who obeys the orders and words of the Imam has all his limbs purified, and he who has found the way to the Imam, and resigned himself in obedience to his command, -- his soul becomes clean, and his spirit good."

Dear Sean,
As you can clearly see, keeping the body clean has nothing to do with water or washing in Ismailism.

Your Spiritual brother
shams
aminL

Post by aminL »

In my opinion, I belive that Ismaili's aslo do Wazu becuae when you go to Jamat Khane, do you not as an idividual take a shower and clean yourself? How ever, Wazu is not manditory upon us as it is upon other muslims when they pray.
meru

Post by meru »

<P>In Dar es Salaam, the Darkhana (which was built in either the late 1800's or the early 1900's) had facilities where o&shy;ne could clean their hands and feet.&nbsp; I don't recollect that facility in Upanga Jamat Khana that was built after 1957.<BR><BR>My opinion with respect to the walu is that the Holy Quran came down approx. 1400 years ago and things were different at that&nbsp;time from what they are now.&nbsp;&nbsp;There are a lot of things in the Holy Quran that we cannot&nbsp;apply to today's circumstances so&nbsp;Mowlana Hazar Imam as the speaking Quran, guides the jamat according to the changed times.&nbsp;&nbsp;Some of the things that are in the Quran that Ismailis are not compelled to do are fasting in the month of Ramadhan and we do not pray&nbsp;5 times a day.&nbsp; Walu then would be o&shy;ne of the other things that Ismailis do not have to do. Because Mowlana Hazar Imam to my recollection has not made any firman with respect to this issue, I think&nbsp;the choice is really left to the indiviudal.&nbsp;It is understood that most people would have a shower before they come to Khane.&nbsp;&nbsp;In my opinion,&nbsp; in today's busy work schedules, more weight&nbsp;is being placed to come to Khane even if o&shy;ne had not had a shower.&nbsp; If the practice of walu was an essential ritual, a lot of people would probably not&nbsp;make it&nbsp;to Khane. Of course, the ideal&nbsp;situation would be to shower before coming to&nbsp;Khane.&nbsp;</P>
razinizar

Post by razinizar »

Do you have any Relevant Farman Regarding "Wazu is not Neccesary"
I think Imam Never Implicitly said about only batini wazu is neccesary and not zahiri. i think both are important.
nomi786

Post by nomi786 »

Recently I had the blessing to hear Imam talk of praying in Muslim Ummah 5 times a day vs. Ismaili 3 times, one early in the morning and then late in the evening.

Imam compared east vs. west when giving example of praying. Our everyday practice is tied down to every other characteristic of our life. such as Imam mentioned If the practice of praying 5 times a day was induced in western society, it will be totally unviable for western nation to be as successful economically. the work hours cut in 2/3 of the time. And most importantly the idea of "mosques" diminishes entirely.

Most of muslims in western societies either "can't" pray 5 times a day or if they can they do it while they are at work. Which according to Islamic/Ismaili tradition totally negates the whole purpose of Dua/namaz. Imagine while one is in major transaction and he leaves for namaz. How easy is it for him to convey his namaz with attention undivided.
logical

Post by logical »

nomi786 wrote: Most of muslims in western societies either "can't" pray 5 times a day or if they can they do it while they are at work. Which according to Islamic/Ismaili tradition totally negates the whole purpose of Dua/namaz. Imagine while one is in major transaction and he leaves for namaz. How easy is it for him to convey his namaz with attention undivided.

The Sunni community of Canada were recently asking for "special previleges" for a shorter work-period during the Ramadan period.

This was along with their demands for sharia laws in Canada were rejected and, very correctly so.
razinizar

Post by razinizar »

I think Imam Never Implicitly said about only batini wazu is neccesary and not zahiri. i think both are important.
Not to Forget, subject of this forum is Wazu.
I need a farman concerning wazu, where imam implicitly said "Wazu is neccesary or not". and which point of time it was changed ?
Because i still believe Wazu is neccesary even in Ismaili Dua.
logical

Post by logical »

razinizar wrote:

I need a farman concerning wazu, where imam implicitly said "Wazu is neccesary or not". and which point of time it was changed ?
Are you speaking of WADHU in its Ritual forms where only the exposed physical areas are cleaned, like:

WADHU Ritual:
========
Make Niyyat (Bissmillah-make sure not to say Ar Rahmanir Rahim)

Wash your hands, finger to wrist. Make sure to get between the fingers. I rub that part until it squeeks.

Next, take a miswak or finger and rub your teeth, then put water in your mouth, rise, then spit out. Repeat thrice.

Next, take you left hand, fill it with water, and put it in your nose. Pick your nose and clean it. Repeat thrice.

Wash your face, top of fore head to chin, ear to ear thrice.
[Partial and not complete wadhu listed above]

or,
the need to observe personal hygene & cleaning on regular basis and especially before going to the House of the Divine. Pls respond.
Akbar(Khan)

Post by Akbar(Khan) »

razinizar wrote:

I just don't understand why we need firmans for everything and why we need to be spoonfed. We are grown ups and certain things are just common sense. Everyone should know that before going to Jamat Khana we have to take a bath and clean ourselves properly. Even my kids know that when it is time to go to Jamat Khana they will head up for bath before putting on their clothes. Isn't that our wazu? Why do we need firman for that?

You will never find one.

AK
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

The following is from 'Precious Pearls' (No. 106).

"You must all remember the importance of a healthy soul and a healthy body. The healthy soul comes by constant realization of beauty to the Supreme Being. Your constant duty is the development of a healthy body which is the temple of God. The care of the body is incumbent upon Muslims and the necessary ablutions and washings that Islam encourages are part of that as well as regular physical exercise."

Pir Sadardin in the 'So Kriya' says:

"46. Never keep thy body unclean"
razinizar

Post by razinizar »

Yes Logical i m talking about Wadu Ritual this one ==>
WADHU Ritual:
========
Make Niyyat

Wash your hands, finger to wrist. Make sure to get between the fingers. I rub that part until it squeeks.

Next, take a miswak or finger and rub your teeth, then put water in your mouth, rise, then spit out. Repeat thrice.

Next, take you left hand, fill it with water, and put it in your nose. Pick your nose and clean it. Repeat thrice.

Wash your face, top of fore head to chin, ear to ear thrice.
[Partial and not complete wadhu listed above]
Religion doesn't based on our personal thinkings, its truly based on Guidance with respect to Quran, Ahadis and Farmans. If we are able to interprete the religion by our self, then why we need imams and Nabi?. We are allowed to use our common senses, with respect to Farmans or Quranic References or Hadis but we can't use common sense with out it.
I have read all the comments. they all are based on personal thinkings, but not to forget, religion doesn't run on personal thinkings.
Kindly if any one knows, any related farman regarding this then post it, if you don't have then i would say Wazu is Neccesary even in Ismailism, Both Zahiri and Batni, Zahiri means the same way described in Ahadis or in Quran.
zubair_mahamood

Post by zubair_mahamood »

YAM,
For years Muslim community had been performing wazu. Wazu is just not washing yourself with water three times. It is process by which one cleans himself and prepares physically and mentally for prayers. It was explained by Prophet (u can find n no of traditions in books of Sunni scholars describing advantages of wazu). Wazu is still practices by other sectors of Muslims community. Prophet clearly explained about the importance of Tharat and wazu 1400 yrs ago. Remember that Nabi, Rashul and Imam are innocent and only speak by the command of ALLAH.

Now if the question here is why do we need a Farman? As new converters we want to follow Imam according to Imams teaching. The only way to follow Imam is through Holy Farmans and we need to understand each and every concept as we don’t come from Ismaili family or we dont have any one around to explain us daily. Traditionally I as a Sunni was doing Namaz even after recognizing Hazar Imam until I came across a Farman regarding Dua. For me Farmans are important as I think prophetic words can only be replace by Imam of time. Here the question is since when we have stopped doing wazu? What is the concept of wazu accordance to Ismaili Traiqah? Is there any Farman? Etc…..
MH
razinizar

Post by razinizar »

Like i said both Zahiri and batini wazu are important, just like prophet told us.
i don't know there is any farman's about Wazu but there are some personal interpretation's in this forums like i said, religion doesn't run on personal interpretations. we can use our intellect with respect to Quran, Hadiths and Farmans. but not fully by ourselves.

Now the question arises in my mind that if there is no solid or implcit farmans, about wazu then y most of the pakistani/indian born ismailies doesn't perform it ?
skaswani

Post by skaswani »

ya Ali madad

if you take bath , then you dont need any wazuu!

regards
razinizar

Post by razinizar »

again you are presenting your own personal interpretation without quoting any reference ...
logical

Post by logical »

razinizar wrote:Yes Logical i m talking about Wadu Ritual this one ==>

WADHU Ritual:
Then, surely you must also do the RITUAL Namaz, FIVE times -of course, with wadhu preceeding every namaz and, SPITTING is okay in the masjid during namaz:

Bukhari Volume 2, Book 22, Number 304:
Narrated Ibn'Umar:
The Prophet saw some sputum on the wall facing the Qibla of the mosque and became furious with the people of the mosque and said, "During the prayer, Allah is in front of everyone of you and so he should not spit (or said, 'He should not expectorate')." Then he got down and scratched the sputum with his hand. Ibn 'Umar said (after narrating), "If anyone of you has to spit during the prayer, he should spit to his left."
razinizar

Post by razinizar »

logical wrote: Then, surely you must also do the RITUAL Namaz, FIVE times -of course, with wadhu preceeding every namaz and, SPITTING is okay in the masjid during namaz:
Thats not a logical answer ..
logical

Post by logical »

razinizar wrote:
logical wrote: Then, surely you must also do the RITUAL Namaz, FIVE times -of course, with wadhu preceeding every namaz and, SPITTING is okay in the masjid during namaz:
Thats not a logical answer ..
Why not? Could you elaborate.

Also, can you rationalize the following as Faith? Comes from the same source that demands 5 namaz & wadhu prior to the namaz among other things:
Bukhari:V1B11N626
“The Prophet said, ‘No prayer is harder for the hypocrites than the Fajr. If they knew the reward they would come to (the mosque) even if they had to crawl. I decided to order a man to lead the prayer and then take a flame to burn all those who had not left their houses for the prayer, burning them alive inside their homes.’”
GMR

Ablution (Wuzuu)

Post by GMR »

<FONT face=Arial>Let's try to seek guidance from the Holy Qura'n about ablution (wuzuu). We, Ismailis have a book of Fiqah and I've read similar instruction, as translated by Shakir:<BR></FONT><BR><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><I><SPAN style="COLOR: black; mso-fareast-language: EN-GB"><FONT face=Arial>005.006 </FONT></SPAN></I><SPAN style="COLOR: black; mso-fareast-language: EN-GB"><BR><FONT face=Arial><B>YUSUFALI:</B> O ye who believe! when ye prepare for prayer, wash your faces, and your hands (and arms) to the elbows; Rub your heads (with water); and (wash) your feet to the ankles. If ye are in a state of ceremonial impurity, bathe your whole body. But if ye are ill, or o&shy;n a journey, or o&shy;ne of you cometh from offices of nature, or ye have been in contact with women, and ye find no water, then take for yourselves clean sand or earth, and rub therewith your faces and hands, Allah doth not wish to place you in a difficulty, but to make you clean, and to complete his favour to you, that ye may be grateful. <BR><B>PICKTHAL:</B> O ye who believe! When ye rise up for prayer, wash you faces, and your hands up to the elbows, and lightly rub your heads and (wash) your feet up to the ankles. And if ye are unclean, purify yourselves. And if ye are sick or o&shy;n a journey, or o&shy;ne of you cometh from the closet, or ye have had contact with women, and ye find not water, then go to clean, high ground and rub your faces and your hands with some of it. Allah would not place a burden o&shy;n you, but He would purify you and would perfect His grace upon you, that ye may give thanks. <BR><B>SHAKIR:</B> O you who believe! when you rise up to prayer, wash your faces and your hands as far as the elbows, and wipe your heads and your feet to the ankles; and if you are under an obligation to perform a total ablution, then wash (yourselves) and if you are sick or o&shy;n a journey, or o&shy;ne of you come from the privy, or you have touched the women, and you cannot find water, betake yourselves to pure earth and wipe your faces and your hands therewith, Allah does not desire to put o&shy;n you any difficulty, but He wishes to purify you and that He may complete His favor o&shy;n you, so that you may be grateful.</FONT></SPAN></P>
razinizar

Post by razinizar »

Dear Mr. Logical
As You were cofused about 3 time Prayers vs 5 time Prayers. then i would like to tell you, In Quran, God didn't Specified the word 5 time or 3 time prayer . in terms of salat the Quranic Ayat is Given below

"[17:78] Establish worship at the going down of the sun until the dark of night, and (the recital of) the Qur'an at dawn. Lo! (the recital of) the Qur'an at dawn is ever witnessed."

as far as Wazu is concerned in Quran, Allah Specified about Wazu. and here is the Ayat

" [5:6] O ye who believe! When ye rise up for prayer, wash you faces, and your hands up to the elbows, and lightly rub your heads and (wash) your feet up to the ankles. And if ye are unclean, purify yourselves. And if ye are sick or on a journey, or one of you cometh from the closet, or ye have had contact with women, and ye find not water, then go to clean, high ground and rub your faces and your hands with some of it. Allah would not place a burden on you, but He would purify you and would perfect His grace upon you, that ye may give thanks."

I have given you the direct reference about wazu.

There is no point of Argue, without farmans / Quran / Ginan.

If you use your Common Sense Without direct Reference, then i would like to say, it will be illogical.

But if you think Only Batini Wazu is Neccesary, then you have to give me some sort of reference where in Farman or Ginan or in Quran. From where it is Implicitly says that Only Batini Wazu is neccesary.

I think Zahiri and Batini Both wazu are neccesary. bcoz it is Specified in Quran.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

These days MHI is directly involved with the planning of JamatKhanas.

Do you have any facilities for wuzu in our Jamatkhanas? If not, doesn't this convey a message to us?
razinizar

Post by razinizar »

There is a Seprate Wazo room in many jamat khana's. i don't know which Jamat khana you are talking about which doesn't have wazu room.
but if just incase any jamat khana doesn't have wazu room then wazu can also by done in washroom which generally have sinks.

but it doesn't mean you don't need to perform wazu if wazu room is not present.
How can we Assume Zahiri Wazu is not neccesary if any 1 or 2 Jamat khana doesn't have wazu room that doesn't mean Zahiri wazu is not neccesarry.
We are Ismaili muslims. We have to Follow Quran, Farmans and Ginan. all of those are important. it is not approperiate that we follow half the thing from one book and half the thing from other. we must follow all things.