samirziz

Dasond

Post by samirziz »

Does one pay dasond on tips?
Thanks!
ShamsB

Re: Dasond

Post by ShamsB »

samirziz wrote:Does one pay dasond on tips?
Thanks!
Dasond is to be paid on all that you receive ...1/8 of EVERYTHING..Gifts...Tips...Income..etc.

Shams
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

You are raising interesting questions, however I would suggest that you post your questions in existing threads. This will help us in the long run in terms of referencing the posts and keeping all similar stuff together.

This forum has been going on for years and one would expect that such basic questions would have been asked by now. The best way to find out if a thread exists is to click on the 'search' link at the top and enter the concept which you are seeking. It will display all the threads with the concept mentioned in them.

In my opinion if you consider the income lawful enough to consume it, then you should pay dasond on it. After all, the concept behind dasond is to purify the income, hence if there is an adjustment that needs to be made in future, whether to accept future tips or not, your conscience will tell you and perhaps by the grace you will find alternate incomes.

On the other hand some people don't feel comfortable accepting tips. I remember when I was in Egypt last in a tour and we offered an engineer of the AKTC at the Cairo Park a token of our appreciation and he was very reluctant to accept it.
zubair_mahamood

Post by zubair_mahamood »

ShamsB wrote:
samirziz wrote:Does one pay dasond on tips?
Thanks!
Dasond is to be paid on all that you receive ...1/8 of EVERYTHING..Gifts...Tips...Income..etc.

Shams
Ya Ali Madaad,

I was in an impression that Dasond must be paid on income whether it may be from salary (including tips, commission, grants, bonus, etc), income from property (land bought with an intention of selling it in future, lease property, gold and other expensive items which value appreciates), income from business and income from other sources (that’s what is mention in hadiths) but how can we evaluate gifts? its just a question brother! it doesn't mean to say your wrong, i just want to understand it concept!

Just to make you clear my father gifted me a property last year, I pay Dasond on the income I get from this property do u mean to say I should pay Dasond on the whole property too…. I didn’t earn it, it was a gift I can evaluate it but my brother gave my education fee as a gift to me how can I evaluate fee paid in term of money or in term of knowledge I got from this gift? And Now He is financing me to some extend to start business (it’s a kind of loan but I m sure by next year when I want to repay him he will tell it is gift brother cause this has been happening since I was a kid)! Should I pay Dasond on this amount I am receiving from my family members as a gift to start business? Please answer me it important as I don’t want to make mistakes….

In this matter I have two more personal questions which I want to discuss may be u can give me your opinion Kmaherali and shamsb…. can I write you PM?

Zubair Mahamood
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

zubair_mahamood wrote: but how can we evaluate gifts? its just a question brother! it doesn't mean to say your wrong, i just want to understand it concept!

Just to make you clear my father gifted me a property last year, I pay Dasond on the income I get from this property do u mean to say I should pay Dasond on the whole property too…. I didn’t earn it, it was a gift I can evaluate it but my brother gave my education fee as a gift to me how can I evaluate fee paid in term of money or in term of knowledge I got from this gift? And Now He is financing me to some extend to start business (it’s a kind of loan but I m sure by next year when I want to repay him he will tell it is gift brother cause this has been happening since I was a kid)! Should I pay Dasond on this amount I am receiving from my family members as a gift to start business? Please answer me it important as I don’t want to make mistakes….
Ya Ali Madad Zubair,

It really depends on the source of the gift. If the gift came from someone who has paid dasond on his income, then one need not pay dasond on the gift. However if the source does not pay dasond on his income, then you have to pay dasond on the gift.

Traditionally women who had been dependant on their husbands for their livelihood, did not pay dasond on whatever they received from their husbands if the husbands paid dasond on their income. These days of course most women are independant and hence they would pay dasond on whatever income they earn.

You may contact me at my PM.
zubair_mahamood

Post by zubair_mahamood »

kmaherali wrote:
zubair_mahamood wrote: but how can we evaluate gifts? its just a question brother! it doesn't mean to say your wrong, i just want to understand it concept!

Ya Ali Madad Zubair,

It really depends on the source of the gift. If the gift came from someone who has paid dasond on his income, then one need not pay dasond on the gift. However if the source does not pay dasond on his income, then you have to pay dasond on the gift.

Traditionally women who had been dependant on their husbands for their livelihood, did not pay dasond on whatever they received from their husbands if the husbands paid dasond on their income. These days of course most women are independant and hence they would pay dasond on whatever income they earn.

You may contact me at my PM.
Mowla ali Madaad karim,

Thanks for your explanation! Do u mean to say one doesn’t need to pay Dasond on the income received for which dasond has already been paid…. Then I need to take my calculator out because my father pays zakath not dasond…..

I will inshallah write u a PM soon regarding my question on Dasond……

Zubair Mahamood
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

zubair_mahamood wrote: Thanks for your explanation! Do u mean to say one doesn’t need to pay Dasond on the income received for which dasond has already been paid…. Then I need to take my calculator out because my father pays zakath not dasond…..
Ya Ali Madad Zubair,

Yes in my opinion. The concept behind dasond is to purify an income, hence if the income has already been purified by dasond, one need not purify it again. Of course you may if you choose to out of love and hence we have Mandlis which are meant for that purpose.

In Ismaili tariqah only dasond is considered as religious charity and it should be submitted to the Imam.