Français  |  Mission  |  About us  |  Disclaimer  |  Contact  |  What's new  |  FAQ  |  Search  | 

Welcome to The Heritage Web Site

-->
MY HERITAGE
New Heritage
Main Page
New Account
Set as Homepage
My Account
Logout
GOLDEN JUBILEE
Statistics
DIDARS
COMMUNICATE
Forums
Guestbook
Members List
Recommend Us
NEWS
Timelines
Ismaili History
Today in History
LEARN
Library
Youth's Corner
Ginans
FAIR
Gallery
Photo Album
Others

www.ismaili.net :: View topic - Health and Healing
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   
Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages

Health and Healing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ismaili.net Forum Index -> Current Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmaherali

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scientists Thought They Had Measles Cornered. They Were Wrong.

Following intensive vaccination efforts, measles cases plunged across the world. Now clusters of new infections — some linked, some not — have confounded health officials.

The measles outbreak that led to a state of emergency in New York’s Rockland County began far away: in an annual Hasidic pilgrimage from Israel to Ukraine.

It is emblematic of a series of fierce, sometimes connected measles outbreaks — in places as diverse as Indonesia, the Philippines, Madagascar and Venezuela — that have shaken global health officials, revealing persistent shortcomings in the world’s vaccination efforts and threatening to tarnish what had been a signature public health achievement.

In 2001, the United Nations declared war on measles. With help from the federal government, the American Red Cross and big donors like Ted Turner and Bill and Melinda Gates, the U.N. began the Measles and Rubella Initiative and created Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance.

Together, they poured billions of dollars into buying vaccines and helping countries deliver it safely, which meant building refrigerated storage facilities, supplying clean needles, training vaccinators and countering other logistical obstacles common in poor countries.

Public health officials worldwide tracked the results, monitoring cases and tracking outbreaks. The news was good: Measles declined worldwide by nearly 80 percent between 2000 and 2016, with fatalities — mostly among children younger than age 5 — plummeting to about 90,000 per year from about 550,000.

But two years ago, measles cases unexpectedly popped upward again, rising 30 percent in a single year. The virus re-invaded countries where it had been vanquished.

More....
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/03/health/measles-outbreaks-ukraine-israel.html?emc=edit_th_190404&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=453053090404
View users profile Send private message
kmaherali

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Health Day: Health for all

World Health Day is commemorated on 7 April all over the world, to raise awareness and draw attention towards the importance of global health. To mark this occasion, The.Ismaili highlights the need to take care of one’s well being in the face of increasing public health concerns.

Health is not restricted to physical well-being, but it also encompasses social, mental, and emotional dimensions. The theme of World Health Day 2019 is “Universal Health Coverage: Everyone, Everywhere.” This means that every individual should have access to the quality health services they need, whenever and wherever in the community without facing financial hardships.

Findings from the Global Burden of Disease Study conducted in 2017 indicate that coronary heart disease, neonatal disorders, stroke, lower respiratory infections, diarrhoea, road injuries, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) accounted for more than 1 million deaths each worldwide in 2017.

All over the world, governments, United Nations agencies, non-profit organisations, and private initiatives are working to ensure that quality health care is available, especially to marginalised sections of the community.

Health-focussed agencies of the Aga Khan Development Network work with such institutions to supplement the services available to the public in a number of regions in the developing world. Speaking at the opening of the Phase II expansion of the Aga Khan Hospital, Dar es Salaam, Princess Zahra remarked on these efforts:

“The Aga Khan Development Network and Aga Khan Health Services are a leading not-for-profit health care operations working in 12 different countries, operating 20 hospitals and nearly 500 health centres that provide quality health care to more than five million patients in a year, working closely with government and other institutions in areas of service delivery, population health, capacity building and cross cutting themes, medical and nursing education, digital health, health care financing and quality of care development.”

In areas where the Jamat resides, Aga Khan Health Boards advise members of the community around topics such as non-communicable disease, Early Childhood Development, mental health, and other conditions and considerations.

The Chairman of the Aga Khan Health Board in India, Dr Sulaiman Ladhani, says, “There has been an increase in the prevalence of noncommunicable diseases, especially cardiovascular diseases, cancer, and childhood obesity along with mental health issues in the Jamat. Sedentary lifestyle, faulty eating habits, and stress seem to be the biggest risk factors.”

Dr Ladhani emphasises the importance of taking early action to avoid difficulties later.

“Healthy lifestyle measures, especially during childhood, can go a long way in preventing such illnesses. Screening, early detection, as well as timely referrals to prevent complications are also helping in overcoming these life-threatening illnesses.”

World Health Day provides an ideal opportunity to reflect on how best to take care of your health and that of your family.

Here is a handy list of points that can help you and your family stay healthy:

Do

- Eat a healthy balanced diet with plenty of fruits, vegetables, wholegrain cereals, and pulses.

- Walk, jog, or exercise 45 minutes a day for five days a week.

- Have regular check-ups and screenings.

- Pursue a hobby, meditate, or take up sport to maintain good mental health.

- Consider a health insurance policy.

Don't

- Eat highly processed and junk foods which only provide empty calories.

- Be a couch potato glued to the TV or computer or phone.

- Smoke or consume alcohol or drugs.

- Stress or get frustrated about everything and anything.

- Compromise on your and your family’s health.

https://the.ismaili/our-stories/world-health-day-health-all
kmaherali

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a Poor Kenyan Community, Cheap Antibiotics Fuel Deadly Drug-Resistant Infections

Overuse of the medicines is not just a problem in rich countries. Throughout the developing world antibiotics are dispensed with no prescription required.

NAIROBI, Kenya — Four days after her toddler’s health took a turn for the worse, his tiny body racked by fever, diarrhea and vomiting, Sharon Mbone decided it was time to try yet another medicine.

With no money to see a doctor, she carried him to the local pharmacy stall, a corrugated shack near her home in Kibera, a sprawling impoverished community here in Nairobi. The shop’s owner, John Otieno, listened as she described her 22-month-old son’s symptoms and rattled off the pharmacological buffet of medicines he had dispensed to her over the previous two weeks. None of them, including four types of antibiotics, were working, she said in despair.

Like most of the small shopkeepers who provide on-the-spot diagnosis and treatment here and across Africa and Asia, Mr. Otieno does not have a pharmacist’s degree or any medical training at all. Still, he confidently reached for two antibiotics that he had yet to sell to Ms. Mbone.

“See if these work,” he said as she handed him 1,500 shillings for both, about $15.

Antibiotics, the miracle drugs credited with saving tens of millions of lives, have never been more accessible to the world’s poor, thanks in large part to the mass production of generics in China and India. Across much of the developing world, it costs just a few dollars to buy drugs like amoxicillin, a first-line antibiotic that can be used against a broad range of infections, from bacterial pneumonia and chlamydia to salmonella, strep throat and Lyme disease.

More...

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/07/health/antibiotic-resistance-kenya-drugs.html?emc=edit_th_190408&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=453053090408
kmaherali

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Health Day: Diabetes need not be debilitating

For most parents, a child’s first birthday is filled with love, hope, and positive energy.

Surrounded by family and friends, the occasion is celebrated with laughter, cake, and presents. It is a time of joy and happiness, with the promise of many more to come.

Alishan and Nadim Ladha, new parents from Toronto, Canada faced a starkly different reality after their son Zayan reached this milestone. On March 24, 2014, Zayan Ladha was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes (previously known as Juvenile Diabetes) just after his first birthday.

Since that day, life for the Ladhas has been drastically different. Raising a child to live with a chronic disease is an incredibly challenging ordeal, but their family has faced it with faith, support, and hope.

To mark World Health Day on April 7, a global health awareness day, we explore Zayan’s powerful journey with Type 1 diabetes. While diabetes and other chronic diseases can be taxing and difficult to navigate for families, the Jamat is well supported by health institutions and a host of health professionals.

“You can totally get through it,” says Alishan.

While she describes the journey as emotional and draining, she knows what helped her and Nadim along the way: “You definitely have to have the support system and have to have faith.”

Their support system consists of friends, family, Jamati members, and Type 1 Diabetes Facebook support groups.

More...

https://the.ismaili/canada/world-health-day-diabetes-need-not-be-debilitating
kmaherali

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oliver Sacks: The Healing Power of Gardens

Even for people who are deeply disabled neurologically, nature can be more powerful than any medication.

This is an excerpt from “Everything in Its Place,” a posthumous collection of writings by Dr. Sacks.

As a writer, I find gardens essential to the creative process; as a physician, I take my patients to gardens whenever possible. All of us have had the experience of wandering through a lush garden or a timeless desert, walking by a river or an ocean, or climbing a mountain and finding ourselves simultaneously calmed and reinvigorated, engaged in mind, refreshed in body and spirit. The importance of these physiological states on individual and community health is fundamental and wide-ranging. In 40 years of medical practice, I have found only two types of non-pharmaceutical “therapy” to be vitally important for patients with chronic neurological diseases: music and gardens.

More....
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/18/opinion/sunday/oliver-sacks-gardens.html?em_pos=small&emc=edit_ty_20190418&nl=opinion-today&nl_art=0&nlid=45305309emc%3Dedit_ty_20190418&ref=headline&te=1
swamidada

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comatose Woman Wakes, Learns It's The 21st Century
News 7 Hours Ago
Newser — Arden Dier
Until June 2018, Munira Abdulla had last been conscious when mobile phones were just starting to be widely sold. Had they then been readily available, someone might have been able to call for help.

Instead, Abdulla waited for hours for help to arrive after the car she was in collided with a school bus in Al Ain, United Arab Emirates, in 1991. Though the 4-year-old son she reportedly shielded from impact walked away with only a bruise, Abdulla, 32, suffered a serious brain injury and spent the next 27 years minimally conscious but completely unresponsive, reports the National.

Then she opened her eyes in a German hospital room in the year 2018. It was a moment long anticipated by Omar Webair, now that same age as his mother at the time of the crash.

"I was flying with joy," he says. "I always had a feeling that one day she will wake up."

Abdulla's "seemingly miraculous" recovery came after her family received a grant in April 2017 to cover medication to aid wakefulness and surgeries to treat deteriorated limb muscles at Germany's Schoen Clinic, per the BBC.

In the final week of her stay, Abdulla—who'd previously been moved from hospital to hospital for insurance reasons—seemed to stir as her son got into an argument at her bedside.

"Three days later, I woke up to the sound of someone calling my name. It was her," Webair says. Now receiving treatment in Abu Dhabi, "Abdulla was able to answer questions, albeit with difficulty, and recited verses from the [Koran]" when visited, per the National.

Webair therefore urges others "not to lose hope on their loved ones," adding: "All those years, the doctors told me she was a hopeless case." (A six-week coma also had a happy ending.)

This article originally appeared on Newser: Comatose Woman Wakes, Learns It's the 21st Century

/start.att.net/news/read/article/newser-comatose_woman_wakes_learns_its_the_21st_century-rnewsernor/category/news
kmaherali

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought about your mental health?

Today marks the beginning of Mental Health Awareness Week in the United Kingdom, while May represents Mental Health Month in the United States. The occasion provides an ideal opportunity to ask and understand what mental health actually is, and to explore some of the existing perceptions around it.

Preservation of a sound mind is among the foundational principles of Islam's ethical code, which strives to ensure the dignity and honour of each individual from day to day, throughout the course of life. In general, it is also important to become more aware of, and to consider integrating holistic wellbeing into our daily routine, as this can have a benefit on the quality of our lives.

The importance of wellbeing in general.

Wellbeing has become somewhat of a buzzword in recent times, especially in Western Europe and North America. Wellbeing can be defined as ‘the state of being happy, healthy, or comfortable,’ and can be broken down into four areas; mental health, sleep, physical activity, and nutrition. Focussing on our mental health is especially important, although paying increased attention to all four areas can lead to improvements in our health, happiness, and other areas of life.

Each of these areas can also have a direct impact on our mental health. For example, being more physically active can reduce levels of anxiety, stress, and other mental health issues. With more sleep, our decisions can be more creative and productive. When our nutrition is on point we are more likely to have control over our emotions.

More...

https://the.ismaili/our-stories/have-you-thought-about-your-mental-health
kmaherali

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Boy Who Had Spinal Surgery in the Womb Stands on His Own Two Feet

Operating before birth can minimize nerve damage caused by severe defects in tissue around the spinal column.

ALPINE, Calif. — Charley Royer, 17 months old, has such a swift, strong kick that putting a pair of pants on him can turn into a wrestling match.

His mother doesn’t mind. Far from it.

“Things that might annoy other parents, I’m so thankful for,” Lexi Royer said.

This child, who crawls around the house chasing a Yorkie named Bruce and proudly hauls himself upright against the couch, wasn’t expected to do any of this. Before he was born, doctors predicted that he would be paralyzed from the waist down. Prenatal testing had found that he had a severe spinal defect and might need breathing and feeding tubes, leg braces, crutches, a wheelchair and lifelong treatment for fluid buildup in his brain.

The condition, spina bifida, occurs when tissue that should enclose and protect the spinal column does not form properly, leaving part of the spine uncovered, with nerves exposed. About 2,000 children a year are born with the disorder in the United States.

Surgery to repair the defect can be performed after a child is born, but the results are often better if it can be accomplished before birth. Because nerve damage is irreversible and accumulates as a pregnancy progresses, closing the spine as early as possible can prevent further injury.

Traditionally, the prenatal surgery has required cutting open the uterus. But Lexi and her husband, Joshuwa, chose an experimental approach: fetoscopic surgery, developed at Texas Children’s Hospital by Dr. Michael A. Belfort, the obstetrician and gynecologist in chief, and Dr. William Whitehead, a pediatric neurosurgeon.

More...
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/24/health/spina-bifida-surgery.html?em_pos=large&ref=headline&te=1&nl=science-times&emc=edit_sc_20190625?campaign_id=34&instance_id=10463&segment_id=14628&user_id=b5e5426f5c89f06ac9cd19778d3e6de3&regi_id=45305309edit_sc_20190625
kmaherali

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can This Ancient Greek Medicine Cure Humanity?

There’s fresh interest in a fabled shrub on the Aegean island of Chios.

CHIOS, Greece — Over my 54 years, I’ve pinned my hopes on my parents, my teachers, my romantic partners, God.

I’m pinning them now on a shrub.

It’s called mastic, it grows in particular abundance on the Greek island of Chios and its resin — the goo exuded when its bark is gashed — has been reputed for millenniums to have powerful curative properties.

Ancient Greeks chewed it for oral hygiene. Some biblical scholars think the phrase “balm of Gilead” refers to it. It has been used in creams to reduce inflammation and heal wounds, as a powder to treat irritable bowels and ulcers, as a smoke to manage asthma. I’m now part of a clinical trial in the United States to determine if a clear liquid extracted from mastic resin can, through regular injections, repair ravaged nerves.

That would have profound implications for millions of Alzheimer’s patients, stroke survivors — and me. The vision in my right eye was ruined by a condition that devastated the optic nerve behind it, and I’m at risk of the same happening on the left side, in which case I wouldn’t be able to see a paragraph like this one.

Will a gnarly evergreen related to the pistachio tree save me? That’s unclear. But in the meantime, I thought I should hop on a plane and meet my medicine.

Chios has just 50,000 or so year-round residents. It lies much closer to Turkey than to the Greek mainland. And there’s no separating its history from that of mastic.

In the 1300s and 1400s, when Chios was governed by the Republic of Genoa, the punishment for stealing up to 10 pounds of mastic resin was the loss of an ear; for more than 200 pounds, you were hanged. The stone villages in the southern part of the island, near the mastic groves, were built in the manner of fortresses — with high exterior walls, only a few entrances and labyrinthine layouts — to foil any attempts by invaders to steal the resin stored there.

More...

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/26/opinion/mastic-greek-medicine-chios.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_190728?campaign_id=2&instance_id=11106&segment_id=15626&user_id=b5e5426f5c89f06ac9cd19778d3e6de3&regi_id=453053090728
kmaherali

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evolution Gave Us Heart Disease. We’re Not Stuck With It.

Heart disease is still a new disease, and we can adapt accordingly.

For much of history, there were three great threats to human survival: infections, injuries and starvation. By striking early and often, all three prevented us from fulfilling the most important reason for our existence: reproduction. Humans, therefore, evolved mechanisms to stave off these life-limiters.

These days most of us die of heart disease. The reason our species finds itself in the ever-constricting clutches of atherosclerosis — the insidious buildup of cholesterol-filled plaques in blood vessels leading to heart attacks and stroke — might be that human evolution inadvertently led us into its labyrinthine lair. If that is true, is it possible for us find our way out?

More...

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/06/opinion/evolution-heart-disease.html?em_pos=small&ref=headline&nl_art=9&te=1&nl=opinion-today&emc=edit_ty_20190806?campaign_id=39&instance_id=11442&segment_id=15914&user_id=b5e5426f5c89f06ac9cd19778d3e6de3&regi_id=45305309emc=edit_ty_20190806
kmaherali

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A dire scarcity of drugs is worsening, in part, because they are so cheap

Many generic drugs have too few manufacturers

For most people, a good belly laugh is a wonderful thing. For Rachel Rothwell, it can literally cause her to crumple to the floor. She suffers from cataplexy, a condition whereby strong emotions, such as joy or anger, paralyse the muscles, prompting complete physical collapse. For the past nine years, a medication called clomipramine has alleviated her symptoms. So effective was the medication she almost forgot she suffered from the disease at all.

In April, however, the drug vanished from the shelves of the pharmacies in Calne, in southern England, where she lives. Initially she was able to get her hands on supplies in towns nearby, but within a month it was nowhere to be found. Ms Rothwell’s doctor prescribed a different medicine, but it took months to calculate the correct dose for her. In the meantime, her symptoms returned.

Clomipramine is on Britain’s official list of drugs to be stockpiled by pharmaceutical firms in preparation for Brexit, the country’s looming departure from the European Union. For some reason, not everyone is confident that Brexit will go smoothly. So some Britons with chronic illnesses are hoarding drugs on which they depend. Yet the scarcity of clomipramine has little to do with Brexit. The drug has been in short supply around the world as a result of manufacturing problems at Teva and Mylan, until recently the only two companies that supplied Britain.

More...

https://www.economist.com/international/2019/09/14/a-dire-scarcity-of-drugs-is-worsening-in-part-because-they-are-so-cheap
kmaherali

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Mental Health Day: Recognising the importance of sound mind

Mental health conditions often go undetected and unreported, as people can be reluctant to seek assistance.

Mental health is similar to physical health — everybody has it and should take care of it. When we reflect about our health in general, it is important to include the health of our minds as well as the health of our bodies in our thinking, plans, and conversations. On the occasion of World Mental Health Day, 10 October, we reflect on the importance of sound mind and a dignified quality of life.

In Islam, the human mind is accorded an elevated status and importance. The mind is the faculty through which each individual can achieve knowledge of Allah and His creation. Thus, preservation of a sound mind is among the foundational principles of Islam's ethical code, which strives to ensure the dignity and honour of each individual from day to day, throughout the course of life.

During times of good mental health, we find ourselves thinking and feeling as usual, in the way we would like. But when going through a stage of poor mental health, the way in which we think, feel, or react can become difficult or impossible to cope with.

In some cases, social pressures or traumatic life events have the capacity to significantly reorient one’s emotional state. In other cases, natural or man-made disasters, an outbreak of disease, or the displacement of people or communities can contribute to an altered frame of mind.

Mental health difficulties can affect up to one out of four people each year. Conditions range from common troubles such as anxiety and depression, to rarer problems, such as eating disorders, bipolar, schizophrenia, post traumatic stress disorder, and postnatal depression, among others. Many of these conditions often go undetected and unreported, as people can be reluctant to seek assistance.

Historically, this may be due to a perceived stigma attached to speaking about mental health, or to a lack of qualified health professionals in a certain area. However, this is changing as workplaces, educational institutions, governments, and civil society organisations are placing emotional wellbeing higher on their respective agendas. Occasions such as World Mental Health Day help to raise awareness, and encourage discussion among groups and individuals.

Experiencing a mental health condition can be confusing or even frightening to begin with. Such fears are at times reinforced by TV and media narratives. In reality, these experiences are a natural part of being human.

Today, anxiety in particular is becoming increasingly common among young people. Symptoms include worry, stress, and fear, particularly about the future. Anxiety is natural and common, but can become a problem if it impacts your day-to-day life. Social media anxiety disorder has also become a recognised condition, brought on by the increasing use of Facebook, Instagram, and other social media platforms, which can make users susceptible to comparison, unrealistic aspiration, and envy. The inability to switch off can lead to a seemingly endless downward spiral.

Those who are no longer young — though not yet old — may be affected by the pressures associated with work, studying, or taking care of a family. Depression can appear in mid-life or earlier, sometimes due to prolonged stressors, and sometimes a combination of events. Symptoms can include persistent sadness, low energy, and difficulty with motivation.

In later life, mental health issues can become more common; Depression affects 7% and dementia affects 5% of the older population. Dementia is a brain disease that can significantly impact the lives of those affected, and those around them. Symptoms include forgetfulness, confusion, and changes in behaviour. The ensuing isolation can negatively affect a person’s dignity, further compounding the condition.

Being part of a community provides a support system for people to offer a helping hand or a listening ear to someone in need, and to receive the same from others. To ensure that nobody is stigmatised or marginalised, everyone should be seen as an equal person — with hopes and dreams — and not labelled by their condition.

Those providing assistance need not be limited to health staff, social workers, teachers, or emergency responders. Any one of us may take on the responsibility — the ability to respond — to someone we may know who needs a person to speak to, or a shoulder to lean on.

It is important to remember that mental health conditions are treatable. Like any health condition, the earlier it is diagnosed and treated, the better the chances of a full recovery. There are various steps which can help ensure a good quality of life for yourself and those close to you:

- Remain mentally and physically active. Make time for activities other than work or study, such as prayer, meditation, reading, music, sport, art, or any other hobby. Attend a yoga class or take a walk in nature for a change of scenery.
- Build and maintain relationships with family, friends, and neighbours. Numerous studies have shown that socialising increases happiness overall, for yourself and others.
- Take a break from all screens. Put down your smartphone, close your laptop computer, and switch off the TV. See how long you can go without checking social media, email, and messages. Drink plenty of water, and get enough sleep.
- Recognise mental health conditions among others — reach out to offer assistance or encourage them to ask for help. Caregivers should remember to practice self-care, so as not to become overburdened.

https://the.ismaili/news/world-mental-health-day-recognising-importance-sound-mind?utm_source=the.ismaili&utm_campaign=375b8726ef-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_10_10_12_34&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_701966eea3-375b8726ef-173435533

Women and Their Mental Health

Good mental health is essential to optimal functioning in our daily personal and work lives. However, more than one in five women in the United States experienced a mental illness in the last year. According to the World Health Organization, women predominate in mental health disorders such as depression, anxiety, and somatic complaints. When women suffer, their families inevitably also suffer. For example, maternal depression is considered a significant risk factor for the socio-emotional and cognitive development of children.

Women need to be empowered to make mental health a priority and it is up to each woman to do her part in bringing mental wellness to the forefront. Below are some concrete suggestions towards this endeavor:

Take regular mental health screeners and talk to your medical provider about your mental health.

Make it a habit to focus on coping and mindfulness strategies every day.

Make the daily effort to shift your thoughts to make them more positive.

Nurture your relationships, seek support, and be a champion of other women.

Be an advocate.

More....

https://the.ismaili/usa/women-and-their-mental-health

World Mental Health Day

Mental Health: How to take care of YOURSELF

Every year, on October 10th, communities come together to celebrate World Mental Health Day. What exactly is mental health and why should we accord importance to mental health issues? Mental health is defined as “a person’s condition with regard to their psychological and emotional well-being.” ( Oxford Dictionary).Often disregarded and ignored, mental health issues, when untreated can become overbearing for an individual and can often lead to depression, substance abuse, heart disease, social isolation and a general sense of unhappiness. Not uncommon, 1 in 5 adults are diagnosed with mental health issues every year. However, millions of adults suffer through mental health issues every year such as depression, suicidal thoughts but are not properly diagnosed or refuse to be treated for fear of being judged by their surroundings.

More...

https://the.ismaili/united-kingdom/world-mental-health-day
kmaherali

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google translation of the original article in Portuguese:

https://the.ismaili/portugal/akhb-fibromialgia-o-conv%C3%ADvio-com-uma-dor-que-n%C3%A3o-passa

AKHB: Fibromyalgia, living with a pain that does not pass

Fibromyalgia is an invisible chronic disease about which much remains to be known. It is characterized by pain throughout the body, even without physical injury to the muscles or joints.

Fibromyalgia is a chronic disease associated with generalized, often migratory musculoskeletal pain, and an increased sensitivity to a variety of stimuli that can cause pain and discomfort such as stress, stress or noise. This disease has been recognized by the World Health Organization since the late 1970s and is estimated to reach around 300,000 people in Portugal (particularly women aged 30 to 50).

What are the causes?
The origin and causes of fibromyalgia are not very clear. However, after years of research, it has been possible to identify some risk factors that include infections, genetic factors, trauma and stressful situations. The mechanisms that lead to this experience of generalized chronic pain are not yet fully understood, but some theories suggest that there is an increase in pain sensitivity due to changes in neurotransmitters and pain processing, both at the peripheral nervous system and at the system level. central nervous system, which leads to situations of hypersensitivity to external stimuli.

How does it manifest?
As noted above, fibromyalgia is characterized by generalized musculoskeletal pain. This pain is usually poorly defined, inaccurate, diffuse, often migratory, and may vary in intensity. The pain is aggravated by cold, sleep disturbance, and during periods of increased stress, worry or distress. In addition to pain, other symptoms are common, including fatigue, changes in sleep pattern with frequent night waking, morning tiredness, headaches, depression, anxiety, inability to concentrate, and irritable bowel syndrome.

What is the diagnosis?
This is a clinical diagnosis of exclusion and should be made by the rheumatologist by describing the signs and symptoms. It usually includes the presence of severe pain for more than three months, at least 12 of 18 specific points on the body. In addition, your doctor may recommend tests to rule out diseases that have symptoms similar to fibromyalgia.

How to treat?
The goals of treatments include pain relief, anxiety reduction, sleep improvement and quality of life to maintain good physical, social and family activity. This treatment should be directed by a rheumatologist, physiotherapist and psychiatrist, including pharmacological measures with analgesics and antidepressants and non-pharmacological ones.

Tips: The patient with fibromyalgia should be primarily responsible for their own treatment. In this regard, here are some tips for dealing with this condition:
• Learn how to identify stressful situations by controlling them as much as possible. Increased anxiety, worry, and distress aggravate symptoms (psychological counseling may be recommended);
• Lead a quieter life, seeking activities that bring you satisfaction and personal fulfillment;
• Always lie down at the same time, keeping the room dark and quiet;
• Avoid stimulating drinks such as coffee, black tea or tobacco at the end of the day.
• Get regular exercise. Physical activity (such as walking, swimming and water aerobics) is important to help relieve pain and strengthen and lengthen muscles. However, the doctor's instructions should be followed.
• Massage the affected areas and apply hot compresses to relieve pain.

For more information see:
https://www.spreumatologia.pt/doencas/fibromialgia
https://www.saudecuf.pt/mais-saude/doencas-az/fibromialgia

Article by Alysha Amad, AKHB
kmaherali

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google Translation of article in Portuguese:

https://the.ismaili/portugal/akhb-gripe

Influenza is a contagious disease that most often cures spontaneously.

However, complications can occur, particularly in people with chronic illness or age 65 and older.

What is?
In recent years, the largest flu activity has been observed between December and February.
Influenza viruses are constantly changing, and immunity from the vaccine is not lasting, so people should get vaccinated annually.
Influenza is the most common adult disease and can be prevented by vaccination.

For whom?
We all benefit from influenza vaccination, because by contracting the disease we are always subject to infect other more vulnerable people.
The vaccine is strongly recommended for:
- People aged 65 and over;
- Residents in institutions or inpatients for long periods;
- pregnant women;
- Children over 6 months of age, pregnant women, breast-feeding women and patients with chronic cardiovascular, pulmonary, renal, hepatic, haematological, metabolic (eg Diabetes Mellitus), neuromuscular or immune diseases.

It is also recommended for:
- People who live with high-risk individuals (mentioned above) if they cannot be vaccinated;
- Carers for children whose age does not allow vaccination (<6 months) and who are at high risk of developing complications;
- Health service staff (public and private) and other caregiver services;
- Firefighters in direct contact with people considered to be at high risk;
- Nursery, daycare and similar staff;
- Prison guards.

Vaccination is strongly recommended and free for:
- People aged 65 and over;
- People with the following chronic diseases or conditions, without need of medical declaration: Diabetes Mellitus, on hemodialysis or peritoneal dialysis and Trisomy 21;
- Persons with the following chronic diseases or conditions, requiring medical declaration, referring to their inclusion in one of these risk groups: awaiting transplantation, undergoing transplantation, under chemotherapy, Cystic fibrosis, alpha-1 antitrypsin deficit under replacement therapy , pulmonary interstitial pathology under immunosuppressive therapy, chronic disease with impaired respiratory function, discharge of secretions or increased risk of aspiration of secretions, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease;
- Health professionals from the National Health System (NHS), firefighters in contact with people considered to be at high risk of developing post-flu complications and prison guards;
- Other situations: residents in institutions, integrated in the National Network of Integrated Care, individuals under certain conditions of home support.

How to have access to the vaccine?
- If you are covered for free vaccination, go to your health center or contact your GP. If you do not have a family doctor, you should schedule a vaccination at the Health Center in your area of &#8203;&#8203;residence.
- If you want to get the vaccine but are not covered by the free vaccination, talk to your doctor. You can get the vaccine from a pharmacy under prescription, with a 37% reimbursement.
- If in doubt, contact your attending physician.
So do not forget, get vaccinated!

Adapted from: https://www.dgs.pt/saude-publica1/gripe.aspx and Clinical Guidance Standards of the General Directorate of Health. Influenza vaccination. 2019/2020 season. Standard No. 006/2019; 7/10/2019
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ismaili.net Forum Index -> Current Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: