MHI's Interview with Jeune Afrique/l'intelligent

Activities of the Imam and the Noorani family.
kmaherali

MHI's Interview with Jeune Afrique/l'intelligent

Post by kmaherali »

The following is a rough, tentative translation of MHI's interview with Jeune Afrique/l'intelligent in French given during his recent visit to Mali, West Africa. This translation is based on a computer generated version with some common sense modifications. The French version of the interview is given after the translation.

The ethics of the Islam guide all my activities

At once a spiritual leader, patron, businessman and philanthropist, the 49th hereditary imam of the Shiite Ismailis devotes his time and his fortune to the improvement of the living conditions of the disadvantaged populations. The network of institutions caritatives that it directs acts in Asia and on the whole continent. Interview.

The spiritual leader of the Islamic community Ismaili is not easy to meet. Always between two airplanes, His Highness Karim Aga Khan traverses the world while carrying the torch of his group of institutions: the AgaKhan Development Network. The mission of the akdn consist in to improve the life conditions of the disadvantaged populations and to help the developing countries to take their leap. The Aga Khan Trust for the culture supervises the restoration of the Big Mosque of Mopti. Some visits to the Mali to follow the advance of the works, the prince carries out a return sort to the sources on the continent. Been born in 1936 at Geneva, Aly Khan and princess Tajudaulah, daughter of an English lord, Prince Karim, will celebrate his 69 years in December, has in fact passed his small childhood to the Kenya. After his studies in Switzerland he went to the University of Harvard (United States) where he obtained a history diploma Islamic. Direct descendant of the Prophet Mohammed by his cousin and son in law Ali, first Imam, and his spouse Fatima, daughter of the Prophet, Karim succeeded his grandfather, Sultan Mohamed Shah Aga Khan in 1957. He became when only 20 years old, the forty ninth hereditary imam of the Shia Ismailis. A function of a spiritual guide (Imamat) that has transmitted since in a hereditary manner.

As a person in charge and supreme authority of the community, the Aga Khan has the duty to help all Ismailis in the world who are in difficulties. Since his accession to the Imamat, he cease to be concerned about the well-being of all Muslims and not spare his efforts to support their access to knowledge. He manages an immense fortune that serves only in the strict framework of the objectives of the institution: rehabilitation and modernization of farming, school and medical systems, financial support to the populations and to the businesses, etc. A responsibility that entails this father of four children to run the four corners of the world (to travel around the world). Fascinated in equestrian sports, the Aga Khan, of which life resembles a race against the clock, takes nevertheless the time to express his convictions in a soft and calm voice. Meet with a philanthropist who made fight against poverty his battle horse.

Young Africa/l' intelligent: Your Highness, how come you remain simple when descended from the Prophet?

Karim Aga Khan: [Laugh.] (The Prophet) He was a simple man. It is necessary therefore to adopt his example. I think that, in the Islam, one looks for simplicity and not glory.

J's. has. i's. : How do you define the role that is yours? What dominates: the spiritual head, the patron, the philanthropist or the businessman?

K. has. K. : You know, Islam considers action in all its aspects and surpasses the narrow framework of daily life. Its ethics guides all my activity, that this be through the institutions that I try to establish in some places or in the interpretations that I give about major theological problems. Islam, is a way for always, for today and for tomorrow.

J's. has. i's. : Precisely, you are known to highlight the spirituality and the philosophy of Islam and of its faith that teaches compassion and the tolerance. What about the violence committed notably in Iraq or in London in the name of Islam evokes in you?

K. has. K. : It is necessary first to understand the cause of what happens today. Indeed, what has been the cause of all that? Accumulations of frustrations, the feeling having been abused a very big number of times. In the Christian history, in the Indian history , one would find a multitude of similar drifts, where the underlying truths about of the violence are not religions, but political rivalries. Then let us avoid mixing the name of the Islam to conflicts that are of another kind.

J's. has. i's. : Otherwise, what makes the Aga Khan tick?

K. has. K. : [Laugh.] At the age of 20 years, I inherited a function, of an institution that I try to reinforce, to assure the well-being of the Shia Ismailis and populations among which they live. Since 1957, this institution gave itself the means to act and, for that, endowed itself with different organizations, within the Aga Khan Development Network. But, confronted with fresh needs, she evolves continually and adapts its structures. For example, we recently created an agency, Focus Humanitarian Assistance, to react to the crises or to anticipate them.

J's. has. i's. : In February, a new institution, the agency Aga Khan for the microfinance, was created to allow the vulnerable populations to attain credit. Do you believe that this is, at the present time, the most effective means to fight against the economical and social exclusion?

K. has. K. : The best, I will keep myself to affirm it, but doubtless it is one of the best, for the microcrédit offers a flexibility much larger than more any traditional financing. Its formulas allow the poor communities, their institutions, the village organizations or women to realize the projects that are at heart to them. It contributes to cultural life by financing new demonstrations or by supporting the ones that already exist. This is evidently a remarkable development vector, and twenty-two countries benefit from our assistance in this key sector.

J's. has. i's. : The microfinance does it meet the Islamic banking standards, given that this religion condemns loan with interest?

K. has. K. : I am not empowered to talk about the microfinance as other organizations practice it. In our case, the demanded interest uniquely corresponds to the cost of the management. We do not realize profit and do not declare dividend to shareholders or others.

J's. has. i's. : Aga Khan Foundation brings financial and technical assistance to the projects principally implemented in Asia and in Africa. Can you talk to us about your engagement on the continent?

K. has. K. : When my grandfather is dead in 1957, important communities of Ismailis had established themselves in Kenya, in former Tanganyika, in Uganda, in Zanzibar, in the Mozambique, in Madagascar and in Belgian Congo of the era. At the time of African independence, the presidents Senghor and houphouët-boigny solicited my assistance. We ourselves therefore established in Ivory Coast and, from there, our institutions radiated in West Africa. To the time, our initiative was on an exclusively economic ground, to the opposite of the Aga Khan Network that permeates the social one, the culture and extends its activities to the Mali, Burkina and, soon, to other countries. This new approach allows us to establish a certain balance Western Africa, handicapped so far, and Eastern Africa, where we have access to a big network of schools, of hospitals, etc.

J's. has. i's. : Your actions are interested more in East Africa, seems to me. This has to do with the fact that you grew up in Kenya?

K. has. K. : No, not at all. A historical phenomenon is not explained. It should not be forgotten that a Ismaili population was established in this country as early as 1800. A big number of the institutions that one finds in East Africa were created by my grandfather.

J's. has. i's. : That do you think about the Kenya of today?

K. has. K. : When I was child, Nairobi was still just a town and we lived in its periphery. Our property was regularly visited by leopards and lions, and in evenings, we could see the wild animals take a walk quietly under our windows! [laugh.] Since then, things have changed, but these childhood memories remain extraordinary...

J's. has. i's. : What contacts do you maintain with the dignitaries of the others “branches” of Islam?

K. has. K. : We see each other often, most of the time on the subject of specific problems to the countries where I intervene. For I deny any global political role and prefer to stick to the reality while reacting to specific situations. That is undoubtedly due to the pluralism of the Islam, itself based upon plural culture more and more understood and assumed, just as well by the Muslims than by the non Muslim world. In regards to us, by vocation and by choices, we like to work in this framework that appears essential tome for the future of humanity.

J's. has. i's. : You feel nearer to the Shias than of the Sunnies?

K. has. K. : Naturally, since the same principle governs our beliefs. Nevertheless, we work with a big number of Sunni communities and we respect ourselves, for we are all Muslims. However, if one considers the civil war in Afghanistan or the position that prevails today in Iraq, there are often external forces to the human that induce communities, that had lived in peace for centuries, in the spiral of violence.

J's. has. i's. : That Would You Like that the future imam to inherit of you?

K. has. K. : You know, my role is only transitory. And, from one Imam to another, our first concern is the Ismaili community. The second one, is that the institution has the capacity to act effectively in the various countries where there are Ismailis, and with the populations among which they live. Nevertheless, our expertise in the domain of the under development has pushed us to widen our sphere of activity. If it is true that one finds Ismailis in countries as the Kazakhstan, Kurdistan or Tadjikistan, there are very few in Mali or in Burkina, but these are poor countries, Muslim countries. Because Islam requires it, we have a duty and a happiness to intervene to try to improve their quality of life.

J's. has. i's. : Taken by your multiples activities, you do not stop running from one airplane to the other. How do you find the time to recharge yourself?

K. has. K. : When I was younger, I was not poor in sport, and that remains for me the best means for me to get some fresh air.. In winter, I reserve for myself some skiing weekends, and it occurs for me to leave for two or three days at sea to isolate myself a little. I am very interested in the races and breeding of through bred, activity domain that not at all form part of the institution and of which I inherited in tragic circumstances, since my father died in a car accident. Some of these stud farms were conceived as true parks and constitute harbors of greenery in which I like to withdraw myself, when there are difficult decisions to make.

J's. has. i's. : If you had to go on a deserted island, which are the three objects that you would take along with you?

K. has. K. : [Laugh.] Oh there there! I know only to reply! I would want well to be able to nourish myself, to clothe myself and also survive a long time as possible! And I will take along what to practice my faith with.

ORIGINAL FRENCH VERSION

http://www.jeuneafrique.com/gabarits/ar ... hiqtivitc0
IRAN - 18 septembre 2005- par COUMBA DIOP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

« L'éthique de l'islam guide toute mon activité »

À la fois chef spirituel, mécène, homme d'affaires et philanthrope, le 49e imam héréditaire des chiites ismaéliens consacre son temps et sa fortune à l'amélioration des conditions de vie des populations défavorisées. Le réseau d'institutions caritatives qu'il dirige agit en Asie et sur tout le continent. Interview.

Le chef spirituel de la communauté islamique ismaélienne n'est pas facile à rencontrer. Toujours entre deux avions, Son Altesse Karim Aga Khan parcourt le monde en portant le flambeau de son groupe d'institutions : l'Aga Khan Development Network. La mission de l'AKDN consiste à améliorer les conditions de vie des populations défavorisées et à aider les pays en développement à prendre leur essor. Le Trust Aga Khan pour la culture supervise la restauration de la Grande Mosquée de Mopti. En visite au Mali pour suivre l'avancée des travaux, le prince effectue une sorte de retour aux sources sur le continent. Né en 1936 à Genève, de l'union d'Aly Khan et de la princesse Tajudaulah, fille d'un lord anglais, le prince Karim, qui fêtera ses 69 ans en décembre, a en effet passé sa petite enfance au Kenya. Après ses études en Suisse il entre à l'université de Harvard (États-Unis) où il obtient un diplôme d'histoire islamique. Descendant direct du prophète Mohammed par son cousin et gendre Ali, premier imam, et son épouse Fatima, fille du prophète, Karim succède à son grand-père, Mohamed Shah Aga Khan en 1957. Il devient à seulement 20 ans le quarante-neuvième imam héréditaire des chiites ismaéliens. Une fonction de guide spirituel (imamat) qui se transmet depuis, par voie héréditaire.

En tant que responsable et autorité suprême de la communauté, l'Aga Khan a le devoir d'aider « tout ismaélien dans le monde qui se trouve dans la peine ». Depuis son accession à l'imamat, il n'a cessé de se préoccuper du bien-être de l'ensemble des musulmans et ne ménage pas ses efforts pour favoriser leur accès à la connaissance. Il gère une fortune immense qui ne sert que dans le cadre strict des objectifs de l'institution : réhabilitation et modernisation de l'agriculture, des systèmes scolaires et médicaux, soutien financier aux populations et aux entreprises, etc. Une charge qui fait courir ce père de quatre enfants aux quatre coins du monde. Passionné de sports équestres, l'Aga Khan, dont la vie ressemble à une course contre la montre, prend cependant le temps d'exprimer ses convictions d'une voix douce et calme. Rencontre avec un philanthrope qui a fait de la lutte contre la pauvreté son cheval de bataille.

Jeune Afrique/l'intelligent : Votre Altesse, comment rester simple quand on descend du Prophète ?

Karim Aga Khan : [Rires.] Lui-même était un homme simple. Il faut donc le prendre en exemple. Je pense que, dans l'islam, on cherche la simplicité et pas la gloire.

J.A.I. : Comment définir le rôle qui est le vôtre ? Qu'est-ce qui domine : le chef spirituel, le mécène, le philanthrope ou l'homme d'affaires ?

K.A.K. : Vous savez, l'islam considère l'action dans tous ses aspects et dépasse le cadre étroit de la vie quotidienne. Son éthique guide toute mon activité, que ce soit à travers les institutions que j'essaie de mettre en place ou dans les interprétations que je donne des grands problèmes théologiques. L'islam, c'est une voie pour toujours, pour aujourd'hui et pour demain.

J.A.I. : Justement, vous êtes connu pour privilégier la spiritualité et la philosophie de l'islam et de sa foi, qui enseigne la compassion et la tolérance. Qu'est-ce que la violence commise notamment en Irak ou à Londres au nom de l'islam évoque en vous ?

K.A.K. : Il faut d'abord comprendre la genèse de ce qui se passe aujourd'hui. En fait, qu'y a-t-il à l'origine de tout cela ? Un cumul de frustrations, le sentiment d'avoir été abusé un très grand nombre de fois. Dans l'histoire chrétienne, dans l'histoire indienne, on trouverait une multitude de dérives similaires, où les vrais responsables de la violence ne sont pas les religions, mais les rivalités politiques. Alors évitons de mêler le nom de l'islam à des conflits qui relèvent d'un autre ordre.

J.A.I. : Sinon, qu'est-ce qui fait courir l'Aga Khan ?

K.A.K. : [Rires.] À l'âge de 20 ans, j'ai hérité d'une fonction, d'une institution que j'essaie de renforcer, pour assurer le bien-être des ismaéliens chiites et des populations parmi lesquelles ils vivent. Depuis 1957, cette institution s'est donné les moyens d'agir et, pour cela, s'est dotée de différentes organisations, parmi lesquelles le Réseau Aga Khan de développement. Mais, confrontée à de nouveaux besoins, elle évolue sans cesse et adapte ses structures. Par exemple, nous avons récemment créé une agence, Focus Humanitarian Assistance, pour réagir aux crises ou les anticiper.

J.A.I. : En février, une nouvelle institution, l'Agence Aga Khan pour la microfinance, a été créée pour permettre aux populations vulnérables d'accéder au crédit. Croyez-vous que ce soit, à l'heure actuelle, le moyen le plus efficace de lutter contre l'exclusion économique et sociale ?

K.A.K. : Le meilleur, je me garderai de l'affirmer, mais sans doute l'un des meilleurs, car le microcrédit offre une flexibilité beaucoup plus grande que n'importe quel financement classique. Ses formules permettent aux communautés pauvres, à leurs institutions, aux organisations villageoises ou de femmes de réaliser les projets qui leur tiennent à coeur. Il contribue à la vie culturelle en finançant de nouvelles manifestations ou en soutenant celles qui existent déjà. C'est à l'évidence un remarquable vecteur de développement, et vingt-deux pays bénéficient de notre aide dans ce secteur clé.

J.A.I. : La microfinance répond-elle aux normes bancaires islamiques, étant donné que cette religion réprouve le prêt avec intérêt ?

K.A.K. : Je ne suis pas habilité à parler de la microfinance telle que d'autres organisations la pratiquent. Dans notre cas, l'intérêt exigé correspond uniquement au coût de la gestion. Nous ne réalisons aucun bénéfice et ne déclarons aucun dividende à des actionnaires ou autres.

J.A.I. : La Fondation Aga Khan apporte une assistance financière et technique aux projets mis en oeuvre principalement en Asie et en Afrique. Pouvez-vous nous parler de votre engagement sur le continent ?

K.A.K. : Quand mon grand-père est mort en 1957, d'importantes communautés ismaéliennes s'étaient établies au Kenya, dans l'ancien Tanganyika, en Ouganda, à Zanzibar, au Mozambique, à Madagascar et au Congo belge de l'époque. À l'heure des indépendances africaines, les présidents Senghor et Houphouët-Boigny ont sollicité mon aide. Nous nous sommes donc établis en Côte d'Ivoire et, à partir de là, nos institutions ont rayonné en Afrique de l'Ouest. À l'époque, notre initiative se situait sur un terrain exclusivement économique, à l'inverse du Réseau Aga Khan qui privilégie le social, la culture et étend ses activités au Mali, au Burkina et, bientôt, à d'autres pays. Cette nouvelle approche nous permet d'établir un certain équilibre entre l'Afrique occidentale, jusqu'ici désavantagée, et l'Afrique orientale, où nous disposons d'un grand réseau d'écoles, d'hôpitaux, etc.

J.A.I. : Vos actions s'intéressent davantage à l'Afrique de l'Est, me semble-t-il. Est-ce dû au fait que vous ayez grandi au Kenya ?

K.A.K. : Non, pas du tout. Un phénomène historique ne s'explique pas. Il ne faut pas oublier qu'une population ismaélienne s'est établie dans ce pays dès les années 1800. Un grand nombre des institutions que l'on trouve en Afrique orientale ont été créées par mon grand-père.

J.A.I. : Que pensez-vous du Kenya d'aujourd'hui ?

K.A.K. : Quand j'étais enfant, Nairobi n'était encore qu'un village et nous habitions à sa périphérie. Notre propriété était régulièrement visitée par les léopards et les lions et, le soir, nous pouvions voir les animaux sauvages se promener tranquillement sous nos fenêtres ! [Rires.] Depuis, les choses ont bien changé, mais ces souvenirs d'enfance restent extraordinaires...

J.A.I. : Quels contacts entretenez-vous avec les dignitaires des autres « branches » de l'islam ?

K.A.K. : Nous nous voyons assez souvent, la plupart du temps au sujet de problèmes spécifiques aux pays où j'interviens. Car je me défie de toute politique globale et préfère coller à la réalité en réagissant à des situations ponctuelles. Cela tient sans doute au pluralisme de l'islam, lui-même partie prenante d'une culture plurielle de plus en plus comprise et assumée, aussi bien par les musulmans que par le monde non musulman. En ce qui nous concerne, par vocation et par choix, nous aimons travailler dans ce cadre, qui me paraît essentiel pour l'avenir de l'humanité.

J.A.I. : Vous sentez-vous plus proche des chiites que des sunnites ?

K.A.K. : Naturellement, puisqu'un même principe régit nos croyances. Cependant, nous travaillons avec un grand nombre de communautés sunnites et nous nous respectons, car nous sommes tous des musulmans. Cela dit, si l'on considère la guerre civile en Afghanistan ou la situation qui prévaut aujourd'hui en Irak, ce sont des forces souvent externes à l'humain qui entraînent des communautés, qui avaient vécu en paix pendant des siècles, dans la spirale de la violence.

J.A.I. : Qu'aimeriez-vous que le futur imam retienne de vous ?

K.A.K. : Vous savez, mon rôle n'est que transitoire. Et, d'un imam à l'autre, notre première préoccupation, c'est la communauté ismaélienne. La deuxième, c'est que l'institution ait la capacité d'agir de manière efficace dans les différents pays où il y a des ismaéliens, et auprès des populations parmi lesquelles ils vivent. Cependant, notre expertise dans le domaine du sous-développement nous a poussés à élargir notre champ d'action. S'il est vrai que l'on trouve des ismaéliens dans des pays comme le Kazakhstan, le Kurdistan ou le Tadjikistan, il y en a très peu au Mali ou au Burkina, mais ce sont des pays pauvres, des pays musulmans. Parce que l'islam le requiert, nous nous faisons un devoir et un bonheur d'intervenir pour essayer d'améliorer leur qualité de vie.

J.A.I. : Pris par vos multiples activités, vous ne cessez de courir d'un avion à l'autre. Comment trouvez-vous le temps de vous ressourcer ?

K.A.K. : Quand j'étais plus jeune, je faisais pas mal de sport, et cela reste pour moi le meilleur moyen de m'oxygéner. En hiver, je me réserve quelques week-ends de ski, et il m'arrive de partir deux ou trois jours en mer pour m'isoler un peu. Je m'intéresse aussi aux courses et à l'élevage des pur-sang, domaine d'activité qui ne fait pas du tout partie de l'institution et dont j'ai hérité dans des circonstances tragiques, puisque mon père est mort dans un accident de voiture. Certains de ces haras ont été conçus comme de véritables parcs et constituent des havres de verdure dans lesquels j'aime me retirer, quand il y a des décisions difficiles à prendre.

J.A.I. : Si vous deviez aller sur une île déserte, quels sont les trois objets que vous emporteriez ?

K.A.K. : [Rires.] Oh là là ! Je ne sais que répondre ! Je voudrais bien pouvoir me nourrir, me vêtir et survivre aussi longtemps que possible ! Et j'emmènerai de quoi pratiquer ma foi.