VISIT TO SYRIA/EGYPT

Discussion on ginan meanings, history etc..
hkarimbhoy

VISIT TO SYRIA/EGYPT

Post by hkarimbhoy »

yam, all .... i'm planning to visit egypt & syria in nov '05. any suggestions to visit places of interest, from ismaili perspective, in these countries will be sincerely appreciated.
Virgo2

Syria visit

Post by Virgo2 »

Dear brother, I lived in Syria for 3 years. It is the most beautiful country in the Middle East. I visited a lot of Middle Eastern countries, but none of them come close to the beauty of Syria. Syrians, Ismailis and non-Ismailis are very warm hearted, loving and caring. The fruits there are unbelievable. You will be in the middle of the season for "Korma" (Parsimmon). Don't forget to taste it.

In Damascus there is a lot of Shia history and places of interest. The Ommayad Mosque houses the tomb of Hazara Yahya S.A.W. and there is a small room outside the Mosque where Imam Zainal Abidin was brought before Yazeed and a spot where Imam Hussein's head had been rested before being brought to Egypt.

There is Saida Zainab and Saida Rukaiya's Mosques, the first being Imam Hussein's sister and the other being his daughter. There are more places and once in Damascus people will guide you.

In Salamiya we have more places of interest for Ismailis and people will guide you and will even take you to all the places in a cab which should not cost you more than $10.

Salamiya is not a very pretty town because it has not been developed well. The first Agriculture college in the Middle East was established by our late Imam in Salamiya,be sure to visit that.

Then there is Al-Khawabi, the most beautiful place in the mountains. There is a former Ismaili fort there. The air is beautiful and so are the people. It is 90% Ismaili. Our late Imam had built the first Aga Khan school here.

You enjoy a country when people are warm and hospitable. I can go on and on, but let others who have been there can give some more input.

Please let us know about your visit upon return.

Virgo2