significance of covering your head in khane

Discussion on R&R from all regions
hpatel

significance of covering your head in khane

Post by hpatel »

we just had changes for the positions of mukhi/kamidya and the other day when I was at khane I noticed that the Jamat Mukhiyani and kamidyani did not have their heads covered. Soon I started noticing that barely anyone on the paat had their heads covered. I also remember a non-ismaili who had converted from ismailism to sunni asking a ismaili person why the people on paat dont cover their heads like they used to. What is the significance of wearing a dupatta on your head and actually is it significant or not? If there is another thread that talks about this then would someone let me know which one and if not I would really like to discuss it.
-Hpatel
star_munir

Post by star_munir »

Actually non ismailis look more towards the Shariati and physical aspects rather then on spiritual aspects so these things are highly significant for them. In some countries wearing duppatta or covering head is taken as sign of respect. That may be the reason to wear it. More about this and dressings in JK is discussed on Ismailis not considered muslims under current issue section of forums.
curious2

Post by curious2 »

If you were to see the same in Pakistan then consider that "changing times". The same could be said "non-cultural or non-custom" here in in the West. They tend to follow the sunnah which suggest you cover your head while praying, so tell me, did Allah asked Prophet Mohammad to ask his new converts to cover their heads or else he would be unhappy and would bring a great wrath on them?

Let's go one level deep. Say you were to meet Hazar Imam (say a religious meeting of some sort) and you're a women, you're wearing shalwar-kurta, a traditional pakistani/indian dress, now would you cover your head in front of him? I think you would. Now change the personality, you are born and raised in the West, you're meeting Hazar Imam, you're wearing traditional formal western dress. Would you bring a dupatta from Pakistan to wear it on top of your head--which by the way does not match your suit? I think you would not.

Am I close in answering the significance of wearing dupatta?
azamour

Post by azamour »

curious2 said:
you are born and raised in the West, you're meeting Hazar Imam, you're wearing traditional formal western dress. Would you bring a dupatta from Pakistan to wear it on top of your head--which by the way does not match your suit? I think you would not.
Lets not change the personality only, change the situation as well. If you are the one reciting quranic verse infront of imam on the deedar stage, regardless of the fact where you were born and raised, would you cover your head or not?. I think you would.( traditionally we show respect to Quran and Allah almighty while reciting Quran.)

So why not to do it when you are leading the prayers in JK?
Although I really dont know if there is any thing in Ahadis or Quran regarding this. To be honest i dont even know if Prophet Muhammad(P.B.U.H) did this him self or not. But my guess would be he did. It was something that earlier muslims picked up from Jews, who still wear Yamaka regadless of it matching with their clothes or not.

By the way when MHI lead the Eid Namaz, he covered his head.
Please correct me if im mistaken.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

azamour wrote:By the way when MHI lead the Eid Namaz, he covered his head.
Please correct me if im mistaken.
You are right! The photograph of him leading the Eid Namaz can be found at:

http://ismaili.net/foto/4400160m.html
curious2

Post by curious2 »

But does that automatically implies that we should cover our heads in JK especially during prayers and other kiryas?

The veil ayat was revealed specifically for the wives of Muhammad to protect their chastity, as far as I can recall, there is no mention of hijab/veil requirement while praying (men/women used to pray together during Muhammad's time). I don't believe in corrupted hadiths.

The cap, the dupatta, sure does look like a symbol of respect, even practically it makes one respectful but is it a requirement? I wonder.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

curious2 wrote: The cap, the dupatta, sure does look like a symbol of respect, even practically it makes one respectful but is it a requirement? I wonder.
If it were a requirement, then there would have been guidance about it in either the Farmans or the Ginans. I have not come across one.
finni

Post by finni »

I was fortunate to visit Goa recently and It was interesting to see that
Mukhi and Kamadia and eveyone that sat in front and at the Ghat Pat were wearing what looked like Burmese hats...the rest of the jamat was not...any significance to this?

Btw there are few JK's in Goa and quite a # of Ismailis and if anyone need any info, feel free to contact me..
unnalhaq

Re: significance of covering your head in khane

Post by unnalhaq »

hpatel wrote:we just had changes for the positions of mukhi/kamidya and the other day when I was at khane I noticed that the Jamat Mukhiyani and kamidyani did not have their heads covered. Soon I started noticing that barely anyone on the paat had their heads covered. I also remember a non-ismaili who had converted from ismailism to sunni asking a ismaili person why the people on paat dont cover their heads like they used to. What is the significance of wearing a dupatta on your head and actually is it significant or not? If there is another thread that talks about this then would someone let me know which one and if not I would really like to discuss it.
-Hpatel
finni wrote:I was fortunate to visit Goa recently and It was interesting to see that
Mukhi and Kamadia and eveyone that sat in front and at the Ghat Pat were wearing what looked like Burmese hats...the rest of the jamat was not...any significance to this?

Btw there are few JK's in Goa and quite a # of Ismailis and if anyone need any info, feel free to contact me..
Hpatel and Finni, I think the head covering be it by a male or a female is more or less the local or regional cultural significance and in many cases there has been some attempts to transplant or merging of those cultural heritage to a new country where they may be the new comers.
In the western world it is considered disrespectful for a male to wear a hat or head covering in the Place Of Worship (it is reserved for the congregation head or a leader), and in the Public Buildings with the exceptions of synagogues and mosques.
star_munir

Post by star_munir »

I agree with your views that head covering etc is due to cultural significance only.