Ask Admin

tasbiha

Question

Post by tasbiha »

I have a question, and I don't know if this is the proper forum to ask it of the moderators.

This site is tremendous, especially the history section. You do not ask for money, you do not ask for volunteers, so - who are you guys?

Is this site paid for by MHI or are you a group of wealthy retired Ismailis with tons of HTML skills?

Almost every website asks for either money/please buy something/please volunteer. Makes me wonder.
curious2

Post by curious2 »

Is there a question section on admins and moderators of this board? I would like to see all the questions answered there.
Admin

Post by Admin »

YAM,

This site was started 11 years ago by some friends who decided to volunteer some of their time. At the time of conception, it was not supposed to grow this fast and this big. It was the time of gopher and Archie, not yet of the www, the Internet was not yet popular. Someone started an Internet business and allowed us to keep a server free of charge on his network. Few more joined to type-in information, scan photos, encode ginans etc... on week-ends and holidays.. All we wanted to do was to preserve existing information on our faith and archieve whatever new information would be created during our lifetime so that the next generations can benefit from it.

Then the site started looking bigger and bigger and almost went out of control. More servers, drives, memories, power and bandwidth were needed and there was a temptation to either put a banner or ask for donations or find some ways to finance the project but this was against the premisses on which the site was started so we never sold any publicity nor accepted any donation.

When the PHP portion was introduced, we started registering members and many felt part of the project because they were members. They started also to send photos and informations and volunteered to type info etc.. It was decided that any one that would travel to cover a story would do so at his own cost, not at the cost of the Heritage Society.

So up to now, we have been able to sustain the web site just from ressources within the small group that started the project 11 years ago.

Not taking money or donations from anyone and not selling advertisements and banners has also allowed us to remain completely independant. I think that is the biggest strenght of this site. I like to think also that we have inspired some of the later web sites dedicated to our faith and our Imam, even if it is in minute ways.

To reply to your question, no, we are not <wealthy retired businessmen>. Believe me all of us are more perpetualy broke then wealthy or should I say maybe broke but certainely not retired ;-)

The principle we established in 1994 was that none of the volunteers [Umedwards] working on this site will get any credit for their work nor ever disclose their name. therefore, if you send correspondance and receive an answer from Umed [Wards] do not be surprised ;-)

Umed.
tasbiha

Post by tasbiha »

Wow, thanks. That's an awful amount of work you people are doing for this site.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

During all of his visits to the Canadian Jamats, MHI has always expressed confidence in the ability of the Canadian Jamats to demonstrate intellectual leadership for the Jamats world wide.

This site in my opinion represents that aspiration and I hope it continues to grow in the future.
ONiazi

Post by ONiazi »

Ya Ali madad!

How fascinating! I thought "Umed" was a name.

Good work, guys (and gals, if any)!

Mowla hafiz,
ON
Aly_shallwani

Is this site registered?

Post by Aly_shallwani »

I have always heard in the announcements in JK that there is only one site on the net which is of IIS and is registered; i want to ask Admin that is this this site also registered? because it is the better site than of IIS!
Admin

Post by Admin »

www.iis.ac.uk is the only authorised web site of the Ismaili Institute.

www.akdn.org is the only official web site of the AKDN.

www.ismaili.net is the onlt authorised web site of the Heritage Society.
raheemhp

Post by raheemhp »

yaa ali madad,
well IIS AND AKDN is official site ...as per my knowledge this is not a official site ...but i appreciate the contribution and work from the ismaili.net team .....thanx to the team of ismailinet keep it up and god bless u all.
Admin

Post by Admin »

raheemhp wrote:yaa ali madad,
well IIS AND AKDN is official site.
Yes if "official" means sites which belongs to Apex institution, sure they are.

If "official" means that they represent the organisation who designed them, most of the sites would be "official".

Each organisation has its own web site. The Heritage web site has never pretended representing anyone except itself.

Some go looking for knowledge as far as China, some come to ismaili.net it is just a matter of choice. All of the web sites give a different stock of information to different audiences. This is what brings progress to the world and to the field of Ismaili studies...

Definately we are not related nor under nor finacned by any Ismaili institutions.

This is already said since 11 years on our main page under several links on the main page:

"Mission Statement - First Ismaili Electronic Library and Database - The aim of FIELD project is to establish, organise, develop and maintain systematically a central electronic library of primary and secondary sources, books, journals, media coverage as well as audio, video and electronic archives related to Ismailism. The FIELD project will provide a globally accessible resource center for Ismaili Studies in Cyberspace. The Heritage Society is not linked to any Ismaili Institution or to any particular individual "

Also under "Disclaimer -This site is not under any Ismaili institution or Ismaili organization"

Admin
curious2

Post by curious2 »

Admin, how do you prevent yourself from breaking any copyright laws? I mean, I saw you created the transcript of an interview given by MHI to CBC TV. Isn't that a violation of some sort? Just wondering, how do you deal with those situations with other things.
ONiazi

Post by ONiazi »

Ya Ali madad!

An official website would not be able to provide the wealth of information that this website can. An official website would provide only information it can endorse without any hesitation whatsoever. I doubt an official website would even permit a forum. I cannot recall any official website of any hierarchical religious group, Muslim or otherwise, that has a forum or that is lax in its presentation of material.

An unofficial medium would have greater room for movement and would be able to offer a medium through which participants may discuss and debate.

A website such as this is extremely valuable. It enriches both members and non-members. It also helps to destroy lies, falsehoods, and misunderstandings that may be purposefully or mistakenly perpetuated. All one has to do is peruse the information provided or ask on the forum. Easy!

The official organs of the Hazir Imam (AS) do not engage in much apologetics or defense of the faith. They have more important things to focus on. As such, as sad as it may be, claims by enemies of the Imamat (more often fellow Muslims) go unanswered. As the image exists in my mind, this website is like a sharp sword in the hands of murids to slay the venomous lies of enemies of the Imamat, and it is like a fragrant flower for murids to brighten their souls and enrich their minds.

Mowla hafiz,
ON
star_munir

Post by star_munir »

I agree with ONiazi and even I used to thought that Umed is name of admin. You are doing great work. May Mowlana Hazir Imam bless you all.
curious2

Post by curious2 »

Admins, I like your chat idea, but when I login, I see few folks on the list but no one seems to be talking or at least that's how it seems from my end. I keep sending Hi's and Hello's and I see that my messages are showing up but no one wants to reply. This is the same experience I had at ismailiconnect.com site with their chat sessions.

Any idea? Perhaps something's wrong from my end.
Admin

Post by Admin »

To reply to the last 2 post of Curious2:

1) We are in the process of debugging the chat server which has just been installed. I tried it a couple of time yesterday and it worked fine but my technician says that names of people who close their browsers without login out is somehow remaining in the list because our server does not know that the person has closed his browser. Same happens with users that block pop-out. So what we are trying to do is just that the server removes from chat list anyone that has been inactive for 15 minutes or so.

2) The Chat server is really good, very easy and flexible. It is also powerful, you can invite a user to chat and you can also block your name by making it busy so no one can disturb you while you are browsing or are gone from your desk for few minutes.

3) There is some functionalities to change password and making your email hidden in "My Profile" under the Left Menu of the main page on ismaili.net

Admin
curious2

Post by curious2 »

Thanks admin for your help. I checked my profile and I have "Hide my online status to Yes" but I still see my name on the front page among online users. This wasn't the case before you upgraded. Please check.
Admin

Post by Admin »

curious2 wrote:Thanks admin for your help. I checked my profile and I have "Hide my online status to Yes" but I still see my name on the front page among online users. This wasn't the case before you upgraded. Please check.
I will check but I think this option only hide the status, which means that it hides what you are going [for example posting on Forum]. It does not hide the fact that you are online.

Before we upgraded, we were not showing any online users.
curious2

Post by curious2 »

Okay I tried from home as well, I can't seems to make anyone talk in your chat room. Perhaps I'm missing some settings but for some reasons, whenever I join your chat, no one seems to be talking. Is it me they're scared of? ewww... I hope not.

I'm hoping your chat room would buzz with people, but only if it works.
tasbiha

to admin

Post by tasbiha »

I keep having to log in 2 times to get into the chat session.
Aly_shallwani

Dear Admin

Post by Aly_shallwani »

Dear admin i have&nbsp;three probz related to this forum,chat and my account first of all plz let me know that when eve i write any thing in this forum some html comands also comes in it when i see it's preview ..and before when eve i visited this site o&shy;n the left of the site the site always showed that how many private messages are there but now i even cant find that where have my messages gone and the last o&shy;ne is that where is the chatting link plz tell me...<BR>because nothing appears in frnt of my id
abdurazzaq@ismaili.net

Getting Information

Post by abdurazzaq@ismaili.net »

<STRONG>Yaa ali madad:<BR></STRONG><BR><FONT color=indigo><EM>first i would like to thanks for giving me opporunity to to mail you and second i tell you the Ismaili website is a really very excellent site and i always appreciate and i thankful to the Web master and its really giving alots of Information to our Ismaili Jamat around the world myself Basically i am Afghan Ismaili and i live in Kabul, Afghanistan i have a request if you kindly add a Chat Room in this site it will be very nice because mostly people trying to find chat room but can't ...i hope you consider about this matter. <BR><BR>Thanks with Best regards and Yaa ali madad<BR></EM></FONT><BR>[/b]
lodhi

Ismaili-Net : 21st Century Online Information Platform

Post by lodhi »

Ismaili-Net - First Ismaili Online IT. Solution & Discussion Forum
This forum is create to Promote Ismaili Peoples & also support to solve your general & IT. Issue's

-------------------
ADMIN HAS deleted unethical attempt to pirate the name of our site.
positive

Mowlana Sultan Muhammad Shahs Golden Jubilee Celebrations

Post by positive »

YAM
RE: Mowlana Sultan Muhammad Shah's Golden Jubilee Celebrations, memoirs, etc...
Can U PLEASE continue to have this topic for the next 2 weeks... there is so much to be read and pictures to be seen... so it would be nice if this can stay on "Today in History" and be repeated for the next while if you can extend it for 2 months... this will also start preparing us for Mowlana Shah Karim's Golden Jubilee....

Thanks very much
Admin

Post by Admin »

It will come back in few months as Jubilee approches.
sismaili

Post by sismaili »

Dear Admin<BR>I am trying to reach the religous&nbsp; education site&nbsp; but my passward<BR>is not working any more.Can you please e-mail me the passward, I will<BR>appreciate that.My e-mail address is sismaili_2001@yahoo.com<BR><BR>Thank you and ya ali madad&nbsp;
tasbiha

WAKEUP RUDENESS

Post by tasbiha »

Is there any way you can get rid of this crazy WAKEUP dude in all his e-incarnations?

While it's fun answering his silliness, this is supposed to be an Ismaili site. There are gazillion Christian churches and websites out there. It is wrong and illegal to harrass us.

I would rather some decent discussions on the Fatimid Empire, Schimmel and Sufism.
Admin

Re: WAKEUP RUDENESS

Post by Admin »

tasbiha wrote:Is there any way you can get rid of this crazy WAKEUP dude in all his e-incarnations?http://www.ismaili.net/html/modules.php ... ote&p=8746

While it's fun answering his silliness, this is supposed to be an Ismaili site.
The only way I can get rid of him is if all of you stop answering and quting him else I have to get rid of all users whose posting contains a quote or reference to wakeup.

Admin
============
curious2

Re: WAKEUP RUDENESS

Post by curious2 »

Admin wrote:The only way I can get rid of him is if all of you stop answering and quting him else I have to get rid of all users whose posting contains a quote or reference to wakeup.

Admin
============

This site doesn't have capabilities to block IP addresses? If not, then think about upgrading. Your method of blocking this guy would never work, there is always going to be someone who would reply to him. But you can only exhaust him if you start blocking his IPs, no matter how many computers he change, he will one day exhaust because you are making him change computers and not his IDs.
razinizar

Post by razinizar »

Admin
I think you Should Ask "Block By IP" From admin of Cyber Murid .. Bcoz i think he blocked him already .. so may be he'll help u in this matter..
friend1

Post by friend1 »

Yam to all
Just want to know how to post questions pls reply.
THKS