Jura

Discussion on R&R from all regions
star_munir

Jura

Post by star_munir »

Whats the importance of Jura according to Ginans?
_thaillestlunatic_

Post by _thaillestlunatic_ »

YAM Munir,

good question I don't think I have seen jura mentioned in the ginans
but from what I believe I think jura enables us to do good actions just like sukreet. I think in Abu Aly waez he says the jura should be small enough that it can be contained within our palms. I am not sure if it is mentioned in the ginans at all
sr75

Post by sr75 »

From what I have heard (though not from the ginans), like mehmani is an offering from the murid to the Imam, juro is an offering from the Imam to the murid. For me this makes the jura all the more appetizing - enjoy the next one - yum!!! :D
kmaherali

Jura

Post by kmaherali »

The only reference that I have come across about Juras in our Ginans is related to in an incident about Raja Harischandra being converted to Satpanth. It is related in the Ginan: "Sejaddie Suto Raja Nindhra Dhari" that the horse named Hanslo used by Sati Tararani to go to the place of worship was slaughtered as a sacrifice and the meat was distributed as Juro to the Jamat. The bones and the skin of the slaughtered horse were gathered and prayers were recited and it was revived miraculously and served as a means to return home for the Sati. This incident is partially related in the Ginan: "Amar te aayo more shah jijo" which can be referenced in the Ginan section of this site.

From the above we may get some hint about the importance of Juras.

Mawlana Sultan Muhammad Shah in his message about establishing Chandraat Mandli stated that a Juro should be made and distributed in an equitable manner amongst members - a unifying factor perhaps.
star_munir

Post by star_munir »

thank you very much
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

The anecdote below given in Mumtaz Tajdin's "201 - Sweet Anecdotes of Four Beloved Imams", alludes to the significance of Juras as treats from the Imam and the barkat they can bestow upon murids partaking in them with faith and respect.

http://ismaili.net/source/books/225anecdotes.pdf

(5) In Jerruk, one old lady from the village of Sind had brought gruel (ra’b or ra’badi) made of red rice in an earthen pot and stood at a little distance. She said something in the Sindhi. The Imam called for her and asked in Sindhi, “What do you want?” (chhato gur’e). She reverently said that she had brought gruel for him. The Imam happily accepted it, but she said, “Ya Mawla, you eat it” (Ya Mawla tu’n kha). The Imam tasted and ordered one servant to distribute its little bit to the jamat as a jura. The people took and ate, but some didn’t eat and put it beneath the mattress and some threw at the wall.

Imam Hasan Ali Shah watched it and tried those disobedients by saying, "Those who have tasted the jura will never be accountable in the day of resurrection. Their souls will be annihilated in my Noor.” After listening the Imam, the people began to lick the mattress and wall. The Imam said, “The time is over. Now it is worthless to lick the mattress and wall.”