Aga Khan Museum Restaurant

Current issues, news and ethics
Haysal

Aga Khan Museum Restaurant

Post by Haysal »

On my visit to Toronto recently along with my Muslim friends I wanted to take them to our Aga Khan Museum one of the world renowned landmark of our Imam and Ismailis. I proudly went to the website of the museum to show my friends what it was and when I saw there was a restaurant on the premises I excitedly told them that i would be the host as this was my Ismaili Museum Restaurant. One look at the menu and my muslim friends refused to eat there as they did not serve Halal food and served cocktails, beers, wine rum etc I was embarrassed as they questioned me about our religion and Imam. To make long story short - I did not go the museum at all as I was disappointed, embarrassed and redfaced at the ambiguity of the Islamic museum and Ismailism and Imam. One thing they said was that we are far away from following Islam and Quran and we should not say we are Muslims! i had no scope for debate as the truth was punched at my face
Admin

Post by Admin »

These were not "Muslims" as if they were they would know that Allah Only can Judge.

Secondly first inquire about the number of Alcohol bottles they serve in airlines from "Muslim" countries and in hotels in places like Dubai. And in Monaco where leaders of some "Muslim" world including Saudis, swim in Alcohol during Ramadan.

I remember when I was student in Europe many years ago, I was verbally abused by a group of 5 or 6 "Muslims" from a variety of "Muslim" countries for not keeping fast in Ramadan, they went to the extent of saying Ismailis were "Kafirs". But the next day at lunch time by a happy coincidence, I happened to enter a restaurant were all of them were gathered around a round table drinking alcohol in the middle of Ramadan month. They were nor embarrassed, nor ashamed. So please spare us the comments.

This is the wrong debate in the wrong thread.
Haysal

Post by Haysal »

I dont care what the rest of the world do whether airline or friends. My understanding of Imams farman is not to drink alcohol. If the jamat and the whole world, muslim or others tend to still elect to drink it is their problem.

But what about the alcohol being drunk ON our Aga Khan Museum and Jamatkhana property. How do we expect implementation of this farman from our jamat /kids/ teens when it is just next door to Jamatkhana on the property itself. Our kids are probably hanging out here at the restaurant after dua in jamatkhana and will question in the same way. We have to practice before we preach.

Regarding halal food i am looking for some farman guiding us whether it is ok to eat non halal or we must eat halal or any guidance on food.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

AKM is not only restricted for Ismailis. It is there to cater for the visitors and customers whether they are Ismailis or not. Given the pluralistic nature of the society we live in, we cannot force our values on others. If it is the general requirement and expectation for restaurants to provide alcoholic drinks and non-halal food, then AKM restaurant should provide them.

There are two related threads under the same topic:

Hotels selling alcohol

http://www.ismaili.net/html/modules.php ... %20alcohol

http://www.ismaili.net/html/modules.php ... %20alcohol
Haysal

Post by Haysal »

This means in the ' pluralistic' society we bend backwards against our principles ? Pluralistic does not mean selling our values but means we have to amicably coexist with them. I have my bosses coming over to my home and they always drink alcohol before dinner, so what you are saying is - I have to go by their expectations against my principle / religion and offer alcohol to them and bring alcohol into my home and in front of my impressionable kids. NO - pluralistic - means that though they drink alcohol I still welcome them as friends into my home AND they in turn also have to accept me and my principle of 'NO ALCOHOL'. In fact, my bosses admire me and know I am not a chameleon who will change and they value, respect and trust me that I will not sell them out as I am what they see. We should not change our principles for anyone and should be totally obdient to our Imam's farmans.

I am highly doubtful if Imam has given the permission for serving alcohol in his monument of Islamic culture and place of worship.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

I think that for long term sustainability, our institutions are expected to generate revenue. They cannot rely on funding from our community sources. Revenue can be affected if people are dissuaded from coming to the AKM and the restaurant if alcohol is not served.

I don't think so there is any compromise of values by selling alcohol as part of business. You can still abstain from it if those are your principles.