Significance of Ya Ali Madad

Discussion on doctrinal issues
samirziz

Significance of Ya Ali Madad

Post by samirziz »

We all say it to our fellow ismaili's, but what is Ya Ali Madad.. In literal terms i think it means May Ali Help You.. but where does the word originate from? and why do we greet each other with Ya Ali Madad, It is quite important to understand why we say it, rather than to blindly do it because everyone says it.

Any Comments

Sam
zubair_mahamood

Post by zubair_mahamood »

YAM samirziz,

UR questions remind me of myself. When I started learning about Ismailies these questions touched my mind. Non Ismailies often question about our traditions and culture, its good to have knowledge about for our traditions to better understand our Faith and correct the misperception about Ismailies Traditions and culture.

According to my knowledge YAM was first said by Prophet Muhammad during a battle field were he called Mowla Ali for help when he was in difficulty and wanted Mowla Ali to help him, after Prophets call Mowla Ali joined him and they won the battle. (I don’t know which battle field it was as I don’t remember exactly in which hadis I came across YAM)

Today we greet each other by saying YAM-MAM means: 'May Mowla Ali (Hazar Imam) help you'. MOWLA ALI MADAD means: 'May Mowla Ali (Hazar Imam) help you (too)'.

It depends on every individuals understanding of faith, and beliefs. I Say YAM to myself when I wake up, go to work or start anything new as I have no Ismaili to greet me, I also use Yam as Tasbi to call Mowla Hazar Imam to help me and make my daily task easy.

May Mowla Help Us and Make Our Life Easy. SJD

Zubair
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

There is a qasida which has "Ya Ali Madad" as it's theme. May be it might have more on its significance.
ShamsB

Post by ShamsB »

zubair_mahamood wrote:YAM samirziz,

UR questions remind me of myself. When I started learning about Ismailies these questions touched my mind. Non Ismailies often question about our traditions and culture, its good to have knowledge about for our traditions to better understand our Faith and correct the misperception about Ismailies Traditions and culture.

According to my knowledge YAM was first said by Prophet Muhammad during a battle field were he called Mowla Ali for help when he was in difficulty and wanted Mowla Ali to help him, after Prophets call Mowla Ali joined him and they won the battle. (I don’t know which battle field it was as I don’t remember exactly in which hadis I came across YAM)

Today we greet each other by saying YAM-MAM means: 'May Mowla Ali (Hazar Imam) help you'. MOWLA ALI MADAD means: 'May Mowla Ali (Hazar Imam) help you (too)'.

It depends on every individuals understanding of faith, and beliefs. I Say YAM to myself when I wake up, go to work or start anything new as I have no Ismaili to greet me, I also use Yam as Tasbi to call Mowla Hazar Imam to help me and make my daily task easy.

Ya Ali Madad.

Just one request...out of respect for the phrase ya Ali Madad where we use the name of Ali...we should refrain from using the words YAM or MAM.
Seriously..is it too much of a hassle to type out a few more letters?
or are we too lazy to type out the name of Ali...everytime we say Ya Ali..we earn Sawab.......

Rest is upto you folks.

S.

Zubair
zubair_mahamood

YAM
ShamsB wrote:

Ya Ali Madad.

Just one request...out of respect for the phrase ya Ali Madad where we use the name of Ali...we should refrain from using the words YAM or MAM.
or are we too lazy to type out the name of Ali...everytime we say Ya Ali..we earn Sawab.......

Rest is upto you folks.

S.

Zubair
By saying YAM we earn Sawab. so do i do anything wrong by saying YAM to myself or by using it as tasbi. I know just by saying his Name we earn sawab tht y i use it as tasbi. I shared my knowledge thts it and the info which i gave above of YAM (Prophet First said YAM) was given to me by a Alwaz by refering to a hadis. Its not tht i made a story.
SJD
Zubair
ShamsB

Post by ShamsB »

zubair_mahamood wrote:YAM
ShamsB wrote:

Ya Ali Madad.

Rest is upto you folks.

S.

Zubair
By saying YAM we earn Sawab. so do i do anything wrong by saying YAM to myself or by using it as tasbi. I know just by saying his Name we earn sawab tht y i use it as tasbi. I shared my knowledge thts it and the info which i gave above of YAM (Prophet First said YAM) was given to me by a Alwaz by refering to a hadis. Its not tht i made a story.
SJD
Zubair
You missed the point....
Is it too much of a hassle to type out YA ALI MADAT?.....YAM doesn't equal YA ALI MADAT.....
you don't say PS PS PS - for Pir Shah Pir Shah
or ASMWM for Salwat...then why YAM?....
as MHI and MSMS have stated..Ismailism isn't about convienence but conviction....type out Ya Ali Madat..takes a few seconds more..that's all...

Shams
zubair_mahamood

ShamsB wrote:
zubair_mahamood wrote:YAM
ShamsB wrote:
SJD
Zubair
You missed the point....
Is it too much of a hassle to type out YA ALI MADAT?.....YAM doesn't equal YA ALI MADAT.....
you don't say PS PS PS - for Pir Shah Pir Shah
or ASMWM for Salwat...then why YAM?....
as MHI and MSMS have stated..Ismailism isn't about convienence but conviction....type out Ya Ali Madat..takes a few seconds more..that's all...

Shams
Bro Shams i think u should know some thing abt me. i m born and bought up in sunni house live as Ismaili. I live with three pakisatani friends since the time i was praticing sunni faith for me its not even posible to open ismaili.net as they say Kafir to us if they come to know abt my faith, i m sure i will lost them, they are my best friends in paris. i got Faith by Imams bless but i dont want to lose anyone my family,,my friend,,my relatives. even replying u is difficult.

u dont know how it feels only MHI knows me. I do Namaz with them as i use to do before and i do Dua when everone sleeps. I fast according to our tariqh at the sametime i fast with them. u can never imagine my test of faith. I am hear to learn so plz for imams sake stop commenting on me. if i hurt u in anyway forgive me for Imam sake. v r hear to learn.i was trying to explain that Allah word is supreme not Namaz or Dua, and secondly wanted to correct ur info abt Surrahs in namaz. I apologies plz don’t hurt me i m ur brother.

SJD
Zubair
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

ShamsB wrote:ou missed the point....

Shams
For the sake of correctness it is YA ALI MADAD not MADAT. I know it means the same.
ShamsB

Post by ShamsB »

kmaherali wrote:
ShamsB wrote:ou missed the point....

Shams
For the sake of correctness it is YA ALI MADAD not MADAT. I know it means the same.
Thanks Karim :)

Shams
zubair_mahamood

YAM,

Allah Judges on the Bases of Intention not on the bases of Perception. I understand Madaad or Madad or Madat, Ramzan in India and Ramdan in Middle East, Bonjour or Salam or slm or YAM, its means the same. If anyone has heard or read Imam’s saying that YA ALI MADAD can’t be written as YAM, plz post it, I or we will never type YAM Inshallah. Imam just tell once this life is urs, what’s problem in typing Ya Ali Madad just tell once! I will never type any another word.

SJD

Zubair
ShamsB

Post by ShamsB »

zubair_mahamood wrote:YAM,

Allah Judges on the Bases of Intention not on the bases of Perception. I understand Madaad or Madad or Madat, Ramzan in India and Ramdan in Middle East, Bonjour or Salam or slm or YAM, its means the same. If anyone has heard or read Imam’s saying that YA ALI MADAD can’t be written as YAM, plz post it, I or we will never type YAM Inshallah. Imam just tell once this life is urs, what’s problem in typing Ya Ali Madad just tell once! I will never type any another word.

SJD

Zubair

Read the recent Farmans of Mowlana Hazar Imam..he states that we should take the name of the imams constantly....and by saying YA ALI MADAD..we are taking out the name of ali...even by typing it out.
You are telling me that it is too much of a hassle for you to type Ya ALI Madad? just 7 more letters and 2 spaces?
and you want to be an Ismaili?
You have to love Ali..immerse yourself in Ali....to understand ismailism and the essence of the imam..and here you are saying..show me a farman of the imam that says I shouldn't type YAM or MAM..>
Ismailism is about conviction..not convienence..next you will say..instead of reciting dua..i will say ..BRR - Surah fateha - ALSWA , etc...
Ya Ali Madad is a prayer..it is a call..it is asking Ali to help..it is a symbol of being a Shia.

Sorry if i offend..

Ya Ali Madad

Shams
zubair_mahamood

ShamsB wrote:
Read the recent Farmans of Mowlana Hazar Imam..he states that we should take the name of the imams constantly....and by saying YA ALI MADAD..we are taking out the name of ali...even by typing it out.
You are telling me that it is too much of a hassle for you to type Ya ALI Madad? just 7 more letters and 2 spaces?

You have to love Ali..immerse yourself in Ali....to understand ismailism and the essence of the imam..and here you are saying..show me a farman of the imam that says I shouldn't type YAM or MAM..>
Ismailism is about conviction..not convienence..next you will say..instead of reciting dua..i will say ..BRR - Surah fateha - ALSWA , etc...
Ya Ali Madad is a prayer..it is a call..it is asking Ali to help..it is a symbol of being a Shia.

Sorry if i offend..

Ya Ali Madad

Shams
First of all I am Ismaili by Imam’s will. Since the day I had his Dedaar I follow him in whatever way I can. Born in Ismaili family or giving baiyat to Muki or Hazar Imam don’t make anyone Ismaili. What do you know about me how can you say I m not Ismaili. What do u mean by I want to be Ismaili, I am Ismaili and like you and like everyone I want to know, learn and practice faith and my faith in Imam as Allah is as strong as yours is. I want to take admission in to Jamat and attend Jamatkhana to understand, learn and practice my faith. Having faith in Imam Make one Ismaili and I have Allhamdulila. My Commitment makes me Ismaili, Imam’s Dedaar makes me Ismaili, my prayers make me Ismaili, and above all Allah makes me Ismaili.

Look at this If you say its important to give baiyat then let me tell u I saw Imam with Holy Noor with clear vision he said me “Mai Ghlath nahi ho Zubair” meaning “I am not wrong zubair” and extended his left hand towards me, I gave him my right hand. MHI was standing little high then me when I hold his hand he pulled me up and took me into his arms.

When I gave him my hand I made a commitment that I believe Him, it’s between me and MHI what commitments I made and what commitments he accepted. Just read clearly to understand what I intend to say don’t percept.

For me I am Ismaili, U r Ismaili, people who come to JK r Ismaili, ppl who don’t come to JK r Ismaili, Living things r Ismaili, Non living things r Ismaili, Things v see r Ismaili, Things v don’t see r Ismaili, Everything is Ismaili. If u doesn’t understand my words ask any Al waaz may be he can explain you what I mean to say. If u r not satisfied by Al waaz reply I will explain u what I mean. Even if u don’t understand ask MHI he will explain u if he wills. I think by understanding this words a mumin knows Allah to an extent.

As far as YAM-MAM typing is concern you are the first person to tell this that one should not type YAM. I agree with you if Imam said what u mean to say I will inshallah follow him. I am not the only person typing Yam on the forum. Can you type whole text of the Farman for better understanding so that all ppl who are typing yam know?

I Love Ali or Allah, My intention when i Type YAM is clearly known to Imam, I am not typing YAM for my convienence.

SJD

Zubair
ShamsB

Post by ShamsB »

zubair_mahamood wrote:
ShamsB wrote:

Sorry if i offend..

Ya Ali Madad

Shams
First of all I am Ismaili by Imam’s will. Since the day I had his Dedaar I follow him in whatever way I can. Born in Ismaili family or giving baiyat to Muki or Hazar Imam don’t make anyone Ismaili. What do you know about me how can you say I m not Ismaili. What do u mean by I want to be Ismaili, I am Ismaili and like you and like everyone I want to know, learn and practice faith and my faith in Imam as Allah is as strong as yours is. I want to take admission in to Jamat and attend Jamatkhana to understand, learn and practice my faith. Having faith in Imam Make one Ismaili and I have Allhamdulila. My Commitment makes me Ismaili, Imam’s Dedaar makes me Ismaili, my prayers make me Ismaili, and above all Allah makes me Ismaili.

Look at this If you say its important to give baiyat then let me tell u I saw Imam with Holy Noor with clear vision he said me “Mai Ghlath nahi ho Zubair” meaning “I am not wrong zubair” and extended his left hand towards me, I gave him my right hand. MHI was standing little high then me when I hold his hand he pulled me up and took me into his arms.

When I gave him my hand I made a commitment that I believe Him, it’s between me and MHI what commitments I made and what commitments he accepted. Just read clearly to understand what I intend to say don’t percept.

For me I am Ismaili, U r Ismaili, people who come to JK r Ismaili, ppl who don’t come to JK r Ismaili, Living things r Ismaili, Non living things r Ismaili, Things v see r Ismaili, Things v don’t see r Ismaili, Everything is Ismaili. If u doesn’t understand my words ask any Al waaz may be he can explain you what I mean to say. If u r not satisfied by Al waaz reply I will explain u what I mean. Even if u don’t understand ask MHI he will explain u if he wills. I think by understanding this words a mumin knows Allah to an extent.

As far as YAM-MAM typing is concern you are the first person to tell this that one should not type YAM. I agree with you if Imam said what u mean to say I will inshallah follow him. I am not the only person typing Yam on the forum. Can you type whole text of the Farman for better understanding so that all ppl who are typing yam know?

I Love Ali or Allah, My intention when i Type YAM is clearly known to Imam, I am not typing YAM for my convienence.

SJD

Zubair

Ya Ali Madad Zubair...

(as you can see..i addressed this Ya Ali Madad to you not to the imam...i am telling you..May ALI help you ZUbair...not YAM ZUBAIR - in essence..root vegetable Zubair..in saying Ya ALI Madat..i got the opportunity to use the name of Ali..to call upon Ali...i got the sawab..not only that..i showed respect to you and to Ali).
and when you say Ya Ali Madad..the intent is towards the person you are greeting....

Ya Ali Madad is a Shia greeting..the whole phrase is a shia greeting...
you don't hear other muslims shorten As Salaam Alaikum to ASA ...
We have to show respect to the name of Ali.

We don't become ismailis by just taking baiyat...that is one step...fulfilling that baiyat for the rest of your life is being an ismaili...and if we are resolving to take short cuts..than we are contravening one of Mowlana Hazar Imam's Farmans in regards to ismailism is not a faith of convenience..but one of conviction....once again..it is a matter of 7 letters and 2 spaces....and think of the sawab it will earn you everytime you say the name of ALI....
The rules of the forum do not allow Farmans to be posted on here...but I have paraphrased..it has been a number of times where Mowlana Hazar Imam over the past few years has stated and reiterated..when you have a moment..take out the name of allah..the name of the prophet..call upon ali..call upon the names of the imams......and greeting a fellow ismaili gives us a perfect opportunity to call upon the name of ali..yet we choose to take shortcuts...

This discussion has been held in other posts on this forum as well.....
you brought up the phrase Ya Ali Madat..which is why i brought up the topic of not abbreviating Ya Ali Madat to a root vegetable.

Ya Ali Madad.

Shams
zubair_mahamood

Ya Ali Madaad,
Thanks Shams.
Qizilbash

Post by Qizilbash »

There's also an old unanswered topic about this subject:

Origin Of Shia & Ismailis Greetings==> YA ALI MADAD:
http://www.ismaili.net/html/modules.php ... eans#11612[/b]
znanwalla

Post by znanwalla »

It is no longer an "unanswered" topic....somehow there are two threads on the same subject.....so will repeat the response here too...

" LA FATA ILLA ALY...LA SAIFA ILLA ZULFIKAR.." - one should understand the philosophy behind this expression as there is no hero except Aly and the historians are saying this !....first and foremost Hazrat Ali had "Alquabs" - not only was he "Murtaza" but also "Amir ul Momineen" and "Imam al Muttaqueen"........

Not only was he from an illustrious and noble clan but the greatest warrior and marshall of his time...a moralist and a great teacher....and Ali's sword was the help that Islam received during its early days of struggle and in its wars of self-defence.

For Islam he was the first line of defence.

Please go and read the narrations of the battles he fought for Islam and especially Bader; Ohad; and Khyber.

Ali was the beau ideal of chivalry and personification of gallantry, bravery and generosity and so the greeting "YA ALI MADAD" captures these attributes and serves as a reminder of the attributes of the bold champion of Islam and his courage....

This greeting serves also as a reminder to the Momineen to fight only for God, Truth and Justice and not act like mercenaries (that we see nowadays everywhere) who plunder and kill for wealth and power and political inclinations and then use the name of Religion as a justification like scoundrels....

Hazrat Ali's direction is clear - not to be injurious and harmful to mankind.....in today's turbulent world, it is necessary to not only send the "greetings of peace and of brotherhood but also remind each other of the high morals and ethics of the Commander to each other"

His battles carry with him chronicles of his bravery, courage and chivalry and even the enemies sang songs of Hazrat Ali's valour and gallantry....so what is wrong if his followers do this too?

In the battle of Ohad the enemies had seriously wounded the Prophet (peace be on him).. I will not go into details - go and read for yourselves and see how Ali fought relentlessly against all odds to not only save the Prophet's life but gain victory in the end and in this battle Ali killed many famous warriors of arabia who were enemies of the Prophet.

It is reported in the history books that even Angel Gabriel was loud in the praise of Ali and said: "there is no braver youth than Ali and no better sword than his "Zulfikar" and you can read about this battle more in details either in (a) Waquadi's history of Prophets (b)Tabaree's history.

And then read the history of the battle of the clans(Ahzab) or battle of the moat or ditch.....the giant Omer was killed by Ali in the end as all others had failed or were afraid....Omer's sister even had paid tribute to this great warrior of Islam....

Ali had demorlized the enemies that they went back humiliated ....and you can read the details in (a) Shah Waiullah Dehlavi's izabuth ul khifa (b) kamil ibne asi'r - history Vol 11 (c) Seyoothee's Durray Munshoor or (d) Tabaree's history.

It is clear from all these narrations which we have read that even the prophet sought Hazrat Ali's help during the battles he fought for Islam...so why cannot a follower of Ali do so?....

And for more details on the battle of Khyber and how the brave Ali took the enemies by storm, read (a) Moarej un Naboovath - vol 1v - page 216 (b)Almanquibe of Akthab e kharzami (c) Ibne Hasham's seerut page 187...

There is a very famous hadith of the Prophet (peace be on him) also you will find when you read "Moarej un Naboovath" (page 216) and this hadith was what the prophet had said soon after the battle of Khyber in regards to Hazrat Ali..

The victory Ali brought enabled the Muslims to come for Hajj and Umra and finally take control of the city of Mecca from the infidels and the hypocrites.

The greeting is just wonderful !
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Related thread:

Ya Ali Madad - Madat

http://www.ismaili.net/html/modules.php ... li%20madad
shivaathervedi_3

Post by shivaathervedi_3 »

kmaherali wrote:Related thread:

Ya Ali Madad - Madat

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2018 04:28 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
kmaherali wrote:
Related thread:

Ya Ali Madad - Madat

Historically in which century Shias in common and Ismailis in particular started salutation of Ya Ali Madad?
Admin

Post by Admin »

Lets continue all discussions related to "Ya Ali Madad" on the thread named "ya ali madad" it will be easier to future generation to access it instead of visiting several distinct pages for the same subject.

http://www.ismaili.net/html/modules.php ... topic&t=76