Français  |  Mission  |  About us  |  Disclaimer  |  Contact  |  What's new  |  FAQ  |  Search  | 

Welcome to The Heritage Web Site

-->
MY HERITAGE
New Heritage
Main Page
New Account
Set as Homepage
My Account
Logout
GOLDEN JUBILEE
Statistics
DIDARS
COMMUNICATE
Forums
Guestbook
Members List
Recommend Us
NEWS
Timelines
Ismaili History
Today in History
LEARN
Library
Youth's Corner
Ginans
FAIR
Gallery
Photo Album
Others

www.ismaili.net :: View topic - Ghost
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   
Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages

Ghost
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmaherali

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Haunted Dorm Room

During my sophomore year, I lived in a haunted dorm.

I’ll admit, I have always loved a good ghost story. So you could say I was primed to have a ghost sighting, or at least, hopeful for one. And at Kenyon College in Ohio, where I went to school, ghosts are a big part of campus lore.

Every October, the security guards host a bonfire and recount, straight-faced, tales of disappearing footprints, disembodied wails and an elevator that operated on its own. One professor leads a haunted campus tour, and Kenyon alumni from different generations share versions of the stories at reunions and gatherings; it’s part of our shared language and a useful conversation starter.

The stories themselves are regularly embellished, and some have taken on mythic proportions, but the original tales come from a handful of tragic accidents over the last century.

One such calamity took place around 4 a.m. on Feb. 27, 1949, when a towering stone dormitory called Old Kenyon burned to the ground in a devastating fire that killed nine students. Two of those students died as a result of skull fractures they suffered after jumping from the windows. The fire was national news — it made the front page of this newspaper, along with a photo of a group of college men huddled before the building, its windows illuminated by the uncontrollable blaze.

The dorm — a beautiful 1829 Gothic Revival building with spires — had been the centerpiece of campus. So the school vowed to rebuild quickly, and by the next year Old Kenyon was ready for new inhabitants. The exterior was reset with the structure’s original stones, but the inside was reconstructed with concrete and steel to be safer and more modern in design.

According to legend, the ghosts of the dead students prefer to walk along the old floor plan. Allegedly, they silently traverse the hallways, visible only from the waist up. That, or their feet can be seen gliding over student heads.

When I lived in Old Kenyon, I never saw any meandering spirits. But sometimes, in the middle of the night, when not a Kenyonite was stirring, I’d awake to an odd pattern. The room would get very cold, and I would feel the presence of a slow-moving force, gliding toward me, past my dresser. My makeup cases, vitamin bottles and other dresser-top trinkets would clatter to the floor. But they wouldn’t fall all at once. Instead, the items would drop to the carpet, one by one, as if someone were pushing a hand slowly through them.

In these moments, I’d lay very still, paralyzed by an oddly cheerful terror. My ghost was back!

There were a few other poltergeist-esque encounters during the year. Once my roommate and I fled screaming after a disembodied voice woke us both at the same time. A college boyfriend once “dreamed” he heard the door slam before he was locked in place by cold hands, pressing him into the bed. I’ve held these stories up as proof of a genuine haunting.

More..
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/15/opinion/haunted-college-halloween.html?em_pos=small&emc=edit_ty_20171016&nl=opinion-today&nl_art=10&nlid=45305309&ref=headline&te=1
View users profile Send private message
kmaherali

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eerie moment 'ghost' car appears from nowhere causing crash at busy junction

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/newsother/eerie-moment-ghost-car-appears-from-nowhere-causing-crash-at-busy-junction/ar-AAtHTlx?li=AAggFp5&ocid=mailsignout
kmaherali

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How We Find Our Way to the Dead

I don’t believe in ghosts, but I see them all the time. Social media gets spookier every day. Among Facebook’s more than 40 million deceased users, an acquaintance who passed away two years ago has a profile page that remains quite active. Dozens of people who knew her post memories and emoji hearts, speaking to the dead woman as if she were only as near or as far as we all are these days — out there somewhere, behind another screen.

According to the Pew Research Center, nearly a fifth of Americans believe they have “seen or been in the presence of” a wandering soul; nearly a third report that “they have felt in touch with someone who has already died.” Polls from the past suggest such numbers hold steady across the generations. To be captivated by the uncanny has been a national pastime at least since Washington Irving celebrated the “fearful pleasure” of listening to tales of “haunted fields, and haunted brooks, and haunted bridges, and haunted houses.”

But now it seems we are experiencing something new. Today even skeptics live in the presence of the departed, the disembodied and the illusory — internet shadows that are no less influential for not being real.

Technology makes such eerie interactions possible, and that’s the paradox of the pervasive presence of scientific wonders in our daily lives: We carry futuristic fact-checking supercomputers in our pockets, but they don’t make us any less superstitious, susceptible to trickery or caught in the thrall of our deep-down Dark Ages tendencies. In fact, they seem to do the opposite, relocating our credulity to any new medium promising to bridge the gap that keeps us from whatever or whomever we’ve lost.

The ubiquity of smartphones as access points to the collective cognitive realm some call the noosphere — from the Greek word “nous” for “mind” — perhaps makes our increased preoccupation with unseen powers inevitable. Yet this is not the first time radical advances in technology have creaked the attic door open for imaginary encounters. While we naturally think of spirits in spiritual terms, the ghosts of a culture are shaped equally by its machines.

When Samuel Morse sent his first telegraph message between Baltimore and Washington in 1844 — the biblical verse “What hath God wrought” — among his most enthusiastic supporters were those who believed such missives could be transmitted not just across great distances, but to and from the great beyond.

In the middle of the 19th century, the rise of Spiritualism, the belief that the living can communicate with the dead, was bound up with the era’s astonishing technological developments. The first nationally known Spiritualists, Leah, Kate and Maggie Fox of Hydesville, N.Y., explicitly compared their interactions with the dead to electric pulses sent along a wire. “God’s Telegraph,” the eldest Fox sister said, “antedated that of Samuel F. B. Morse.”

Believers soon started a newspaper called The Spiritual Telegraph, “devoted to the illustration of spiritual intercourse,” while another leading Spiritualist, Andrew Jackson Davis (known as the Seer of Poughkeepsie), claimed that séances were most effective when participants were joined together by a copper cord.

Before the trans-Atlantic telegraph cable, Davis proposed that the quickest way to send messages across the ocean would be through a system of spiritual switchboards, in which the living in New York would convey a message to the American dead, who would pass it on to the dead of England, who in turn would make reports to the living of London.

The founder of The New-York Tribune, Horace Greeley, was rumored to be so taken by this idea that he sought Spiritualist correspondents. Unfortunately for Greeley, it was noted at the time that “the spirits utterly refuse to serve the press.”

The telegraph was not alone as an unlikely stimulant of “spiritual intercourse.” With understanding of electricity growing across the country, believers in invisible forces argued that it buttressed their claims. Mediums called themselves “batteries,” essential for supplying the power needed to send the longest of long-distance communiqués. Photography, too, with its promise of producing images depicting details hidden to the naked eye, offered ghost hunters a new and powerful tool.

In the wake of the Civil War’s unprecedented loss of life, a mania for spectral images seized the nation when the photographer William Mumler claimed he could capture the souls of the dead with his camera. First in Boston and then in New York, Mumler convinced many that portrait sessions in his studio were attended by the spirits of paying customers’ lamented spouses, children and friends.

Mumler’s high-profile arrest for fraud put Spiritualism on trial in the courts and the public square. Though he had been caught red-handed selling a “spirit photograph” to a New York City marshal, his lawyer mounted an ingenious defense, appealing both to the precedent of spirits appearing in the Bible and to the growing faith in technology’s ability to accomplish the impossible.

“The taking of these pictures,” Mumler’s attorney argued, “is a new feature in photography, yet in its infancy surely, but gradually and slowly progressing to greater perfection in the future, requiring for such perfection time and a scientific knowledge of the power that is operating.”

After his surprise acquittal, Mumler went on to take his most infamous picture: a portrait of Mary Todd Lincoln posed with the alleged spirit of the murdered president.

Belief that the dead took forms waiting to be discovered was not a fringe view but a commonly held religious position. Some estimates made in the 1860s put the number of Americans with Spiritualist sympathies over 10 million — a third of the population.

The pace at which new technologies became part of the 19th-century landscape helps explain why. The telegraph, electricity, photography: All of it was new. All of it was baffling. All of it seemed utterly fantastic until suddenly it was everywhere, making it difficult for many to separate genuine marvels from showmanship and sham.

The spiritual confusion prompted by these innovations played out for decades. In 1843, when Morse petitioned the federal government to support the telegraph, a congressman argued that if the government provided resources to explore sending electric messages, it ought to fund the pseudoscience of mesmerism as well. In 1869, a State Supreme Court judge and several legitimate photographers testified on Mumler’s behalf, all noting that it had not been proved that photography could not do what he claimed.

In our own technology-haunted times, it’s worth asking how our lives both online and offline will soon be influenced by discoveries and manipulations far beyond what we can currently imagine. One hopes that future citizens of the noosphere will see through the kinds of digital deceptions we endure today as easily as we might debunk a spirit photograph. Until then, we can only wait for our ability to detect invented entities to catch up with our talent for creating them.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/28/opinion/sunday/death-ghosts-culture.html
kmaherali

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your College Ghost Stories

Haunted dorms, Ouija boards and brushes with the supernatural.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/31/opinion/college-halloween-ghost.html
kmaherali

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Season of the Witch

Excerpt:

“If you’re not ready to admit that the universe is chaos, I’m not sure how far you’re going to go,” Bracciale said to the class, describing witchcraft as a way to exercise power in a world without transcendent moral rules, a supernatural technology for taking care of yourself when no one else will. Witchcraft, Bracciale said, lets you be the “arbiter of your own justice.”

I suspect that this assumption of chaos — the sense that institutions have failed and no one is in charge — helps explain the well-documented resurgence of occultism among millennials. Attempts at spell-casting are obviously not unique to today’s young people; the Washington writer and hostess Sally Quinn just published a book in which she boasts about hexing the renowned magazine editor Clay Felker, my former journalism professor, before his death from cancer. Still, magic and witchcraft have a renewed cachet, one that seems related to our current climate of political and cultural breakdown.

“Witches are everywhere these days,” says the introduction to “Basic Witches,” a cheeky how-to book about witchcraft published in August. At Catland, along with candles, pheasant feet and little jars of mouse bones, you can buy the beautifully produced feminist witchcraft magazine Sabat, whose covers feature black-and-white photos of gorgeous girls looking like pensive pop stars. There are a surprising number of magical paraphernalia subscription boxes. “Why the Witch Is the Pop-Culture Heroine We Need Right Now,” said the headline of a recent piece on New York Magazine’s Vulture site, part of its Witch Week Halloween series.

Some of this vogue is about witch-as-metaphor, an icon that captures the boiling rage and determined independence of legions of nasty women. But some of it is a real, if eclectic, spiritual practice, adopted by people skeptical of organized religion but unfulfilled by atheism. It’s these sincere attempts to use magic that interest me, because occultism often gains currency during times of social crisis.

More...
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/03/opinion/witches-occult-comeback.html?em_pos=small&emc=edit_ty_20171103&nl=opinion-today&nl_art=3&nlid=71987722&ref=headline&te=1
kmaherali

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

12 real haunted homes for sale (ghosts included)

Slide show:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/homeandproperty/12-real-haunted-homes-for-sale-ghosts-included/ss-AAtZDZq?li=AAggNb9&ocid=mailsignout#image=1

HAUNTED HOMES FOR SALE
Halloween is just around the corner and if it’s a serious fright you’re after, these spooky properties are riddled with paranormal activity. From creepy interiors to things that go bump in the night, let’s take a look at some of the most haunted houses on the market.
kmaherali

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

16 of the Strangest Unsolved Mysteries of All Time

Slide show:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/lifestyle/smart-living/16-of-the-strangest-unsolved-mysteries-of-all-time/ss-BBI5jn5?li=AAggNb9&ocid=mailsignout#image=1
kmaherali

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghost playing with balloon on video!

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/video/watch/landlady-captures-%E2%80%98ghost-of-dead-child%E2%80%99-on-film-as-balloon-drifts-eerily-through-pub/vi-AAvrKiy?ocid=mailsignout
kmaherali

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

13 American Haunted House Mysteries No One Can Explain

These creepy houses around America hide dark and horrible secrets.

Slideshow:

http://www.readersdigest.ca/features/heart/haunted-house-mysteries/view-all/
shivaathervedi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quran mentions jinni and angels but there is no trace of ghost according to Quran. Ghosts are found in stories, folklore, imagination and in Hollywood and Bollywood movies.

In folklore, a ghost (sometimes known as an apparition, haunt, phantom, poltergeist, shade, specter or spectre, spirit, spook, and wraith) is the soul or spirit of a dead person or animal that can appear to the living. In ghostlore, descriptions of ghosts vary widely from an invisible presence to translucent or barely visible wispy shapes, to realistic, lifelike visions. The deliberate attempt to contact the spirit of a deceased person is known as necromancy.

The belief in the existence of an afterlife, as well as manifestations of the spirits of the dead, is widespread, dating back to animism or ancestor worship in pre-literate cultures. Certain religious practices—funeral rites, exorcisms, and some practices of spiritualism and ritual magic—are specifically designed to rest the spirits of the dead. Ghosts are generally described as solitary, human-like essences, though stories of ghostly armies and the ghosts of animals rather than humans have also been recounted. They are believed to haunt particular locations, objects, or people they were associated with in life.

The overwhelming consensus of science is that ghosts do not exist. Their existence is impossible to falsify, and ghost hunting has been classified as pseudoscience. Despite centuries of investigation, there is no scientific evidence that any location is inhabited by spirits of the dead.
kmaherali

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about all the evidence provided in this thread? Did you read them at all?
shivaathervedi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmaherali wrote:
What about all the evidence provided in this thread? Did you read them at all?

I think you did not paid attention to last paragraph of my post, let me reproduce it.

"The overwhelming consensus of science is that ghosts do not exist. Their existence is impossible to falsify, and ghost hunting has been classified as pseudoscience. Despite centuries of investigation, there is no scientific evidence that any location is inhabited by spirits of the dead".

My question to you, have you personally seen any ghost or a witch or have any encounter with a ghost?

Yes, I did read some of posts in the thread but these events are tricky one. In my college days living in dorms we use to play such tricks to frighten other students. You should have heard this phrase,: JO DARR GAYA SO MAR GAYA".
Is the Exorcist movie (1973) a real event?
Mostly haunted house stories are pranks to acquire properties. The smart persons planted such ghost stories to frighten mostly poor and illiterate families to acquire possession of those properties.

The way to frighten people is, "DARK NIGHT, MOON HIDING BEHIND CLOUDS, WINDS WHISTLING, A WOLF CRYING, AND SHADOWS MOVING HERE AND THERE IS THE PROOF OF GHOST COMING".

The NYT stories have no base because these are scientifically not proven. There can be many explanations but not the real one.
kmaherali

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

READ MSMS statement from his memoirs quoted in page 1 of this thread. He accepted their reality!
shivaathervedi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghost Phenomena - ISMS Reply with quote

kmaherali wrote:
To me ghosts are a manifestation of the paranormal or parapsychology. The fact that they cannot be proven scientifically does not mean that they do not exist. Mowlana Sultan Muhammad Shah in his Memoirs (pg 312) alludes to this.

"Mr., Chaplin is interested in certain psychical and non-physical phenomena, such as telepathy and its various derivatives. He quoted to me Einstein's demand that ten scientists should witness at the same time, and under precisely similar conditions, every case of this kind submitted, before he would consider these manifestations proven. He and I agreed that the imposition of this kind of test would make all psychical research and experiment impossible, for these phenomena-and the laws under which they occur-are simply not at the beck and call of human beings".

I went through the chapter of Memoirs you mentioned. What I got is as follow;

"Mr. Chaplin is interested in certain psychical and nonphysical phenomena, such as telepathy and its various derivatives. He quoted to me Einstein's demand that ten scientists should witness at the same time, and under precisely similar conditions, every case of this kind submitted before he would consider these manifestations proved. He and I agreed that the imposition of this kind of test would make all psychical research and experiment impossible, for these phenomena -- and the laws under which they occur -- are simply not at the beck and call of human beings.

I consider it a real privilege and pleasure to have met Mr. Chaplin and his beautiful and accomplished young wife. She comprehends and fully sympathizes with his ideals, with his mental and spiritual aspirations and satisfactions, and with the real suffering that the contradictions of our time cause him. I, who by the grace of God's greatest gift, am myself blessed with a wife who fully understands the joys and the sorrows of my mind and my spirit, can well appreciate the happiness which he finds in a domestic life very similar to my own".
The words mentioned in paragraph like, 'non physical phenomena or telepathy' does not prove existence of ghosts.
kmaherali

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Ghost Phenomena - ISMS Reply with quote

shivaathervedi wrote:

The words mentioned in paragraph like, 'non physical phenomena or telepathy' does not prove existence of ghosts.
They cannot be proven by normal scientific criteria, but that does not imply they do not exist!

God cannot be proven by normal scientific means. This does no imply that God does not exist, otherwise you would not have posted Munaajaat of Hazarat Aly!
shivaathervedi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghost Phenomena - ISMS Reply with quote

kmaherali wrote:
shivaathervedi wrote:

They cannot be proven by normal scientific criteria, but that does not imply they do not exist!

God cannot be proven by normal scientific means. This does no imply that God does not exist, otherwise you would not have posted Munaajaat of Hazarat Aly!

The phrase non physical phenomena can be implied for souls but not for ghosts. In my view, the definition of ghost is," a smart criminal who want to deceive or frighten innocent people for monetary, physical, or property gains play pranks and tricks to make people believe in ghosts".

But science has given proof that there is an entity which they call X FORCE who controls the universe. Religion can give that entity any name. That X FORCE balances the universe, look at galaxies, black holes, stars, planets, they are running on their path without colliding each other. If sun tilt a degree downward or move an inch upward what will happen to this earth!! The skies display His craftsmanship. Earth and human being is the physical proof of His creativity.
kmaherali

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Ghost Phenomena - ISMS Reply with quote

shivaathervedi wrote:

The phrase non physical phenomena can be implied for souls but not for ghosts. In my view, the definition of ghost is," a smart criminal who want to deceive or frighten innocent people for monetary, physical, or property gains play pranks and tricks to make people believe in ghosts".
Anything whether physical or non-physical which has a connection to the dead is considered as a ghost.

As I said read the whole thread and you will get a better understanding of the meaning.

The Ginans mention the word 'bhut' meaning ghosts. For example

ejee utam abhiyaagat alakhne, aaraadho moraa bhaaijee
or sarve bhut keraa vaasaa jaannojee...tame jaago............3

O my brothers! Worship the most perfect guest, the indescriptible (Lord). The rest are all places of ghosts. O brothers! remain continuously awake...
shivaathervedi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghost Phenomena - ISMS Reply with quote

kmaherali wrote:
shivaathervedi wrote:

Anything whether physical or non-physical which has a connection to the dead is considered as a ghost.

As I said read the whole thread and you will get a better understanding of the meaning.

The Ginans mention the word 'bhut' meaning ghosts. For example

ejee utam abhiyaagat alakhne, aaraadho moraa bhaaijee
or sarve bhut keraa vaasaa jaannojee...tame jaago............3

O my brothers! Worship the most perfect guest, the indescriptible (Lord). The rest are all places of ghosts. O brothers! remain continuously awake...

A person whose time is up, and his soul is taken out can not stand on his feet, become a ghost, roam around, and frighten others. Soul is not visible, how come a ghost in body form be called " BHATKI HUI AATIMA".

A ghost falls in the same category as Pari (fairy) or mermaid. These are imaginative creations.

You have right to translate couplet of ginan as you understand, I reserve the same right too. My translation is as follow;

Worship the pure (perfect) GUEST, whose name can't be written; if you fail, your abode will be in deserted area with other (fallen from grace) disobedient.
kmaherali

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pagan beliefs persist in the New World

Nearly half of American adults believe in ghosts

SURVIVING winters some 2,000 years ago was not easy. In an attempt to increase their chances of survival, Irish pagans would curry favour with evil spirits during the festival of Samhain—which fell at the midpoint of the equinox and the winter solstice—by inviting occupants of the “Otherworld” to feast with them. The tradition persists 2,000 years later, albeit with a distinctively Yankee flavour. Halloween in America is a multi-billion dollar industry. Some 175m Americans will spend a total of some $9bn dressing up as ghouls, witches and monsters; spraying fake cobwebs over their homes; and stuffing their faces with horror-themed candy.

But what, if anything, remains of the original Gaelic belief that spirits can haunt? On behalf of The Economist, YouGov, a pollster, asked a representative sample of American adults whether they believe in ghosts. A shocking 47% of respondents said that they did. Indeed, around 15% of them reckoned that they had caught sight of one.

Suitably spooked, The Economist dug a little deeper to find out what factors determine such beliefs. Unsurprisingly, education plays a part. People that left school at 18 or earlier were more likely to believe in ghosts than those who went to college. Age is negatively correlated: the younger people are, the more likely they will let their imaginations of the afterlife run wild. People that identify as either Middle Eastern, Native American or mixed race have a far higher propensity to believe in ghosts than other racial groups. And of course faith is instructive, too. Roman Catholics, perhaps because of their veneration of saints, are more likely to believe in ghosts than Protestants. And the more you pray, the more likely you are to believe in the undead.

More...
https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2018/10/31/pagan-beliefs-persist-in-the-new-world?cid1=cust/ddnew/email/n/n/20181031n/owned/n/n/ddnew/n/n/n/nna/Daily_Dispatch/email&etear=dailydispatch&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Daily_Dispatch&utm_term=20181031
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ismaili.net Forum Index -> Doctrines All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: