2017 Global Leadership for H.H. The Aga Khan

Activities of the Imam and the Noorani family.
Admin

2017 Global Leadership for H.H. The Aga Khan

Post by Admin »

http://unausa.org/about-us/global-leadership-awards

CHAMPION FOR GLOBAL CHANGE!

2017 Global Leadership Dinner

Wednesday, October 18, 2017
Gotham Hall – 1356 Broadway, New York, NY
Cocktail Reception 6:30 pm
Dinner and Awards Presentation 7:00 pm

This year, we are especially privileged to recognize the following honorees:

His Highness the Aga Khan
Senator Bob Corker, Chairman, Senate Foreign Relations Committee
Ellie Goulding, Singer, Songwriter, and Record Producer
Grant F. Reid, CEO and President, Mars, Incorporated
Ms. Agnès Marcavillou, Director of the United Nations Mine Action Service

Last edited by Admin on Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Admin

Post by Admin »

Video of H.H. The Aga Khan arriving with Princess Zahra and Prince Aly Muhammad for the Champion for Change Award Ceremony in New York.

The Imam waved at his followers who came to welcome him. Prince Aly Muhammad respectfully and lovingly let her sister go first at the door.

Look at the VIDEO on this link

https://www.facebook.com/IsmailiHeritag ... 866026844/
Last edited by Admin on Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Admin

The Aga Khan with UN Secretary General, Antonio Guterres

Post by Admin »

TODAY - H.H. The Aga Khan with United Nation Secretary General, Antonio Guterres at U.N. Headquarters in New York on 18th of October 2017 (Photo by UN/Eskinder Debeb)

kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

THE.ISMAILI | 17 October 2017| GLOBAL
Mawlana Hazar Imam meets with United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres

Earlier today, Mawlana Hazar Imam met with United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres at the United Nations Headquarters in New York. This evening, Mawlana Hazar Imam will be honoured by the United Nations Foundation as a Champion for Global Change at their annual Global Leadership Dinner.

Mawlana Hazar Imam’s family has maintained a close relationship with the United Nations for a number of years, following a tradition of service in international affairs.

Mawlana Sultan Mahomed Shah was President of the League of Nations, which was a precursor to the United Nations. Prince Aly Khan, Mawlana Hazar Imam’s father, was Pakistan’s Ambassador to the United Nations. Mawlana Hazar Imam’s uncle, Prince Sadruddin, was the United Nations’ High Commissioner for Refugees, United Nations’ Coordinator for Assistance to Afghanistan, and United Nations’ Executive Delegate of Iraq-Turkey border areas. Mawlana Hazar Imam’s younger brother, Prince Amyn, served in the United Nations Secretariat’s Department of Economic and Social Affairs from 1965 to 1968.

The.Ismaili will bring you more updates from the Awards dinner later tonight. Follow us on social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat) and sign up for email updates to stay up to date.

https://the.ismaili/news/mawlana-hazar- ... o-guterres
mahebubchatur

Post by mahebubchatur »

Hazar Imam , Aga Khan, said in his acceptance speech that it is by working together that we can build a better world. Public Private Partnerships are incomplete without Civil society institutions like AKDN & UN Foundation, all working together.

And it is not which sector can be more effective, but how they can all work together.

The word which is most important in multiple partnership is Pluralism. Aga Khan added that
“Pluralism is a frame of mind which regards Diversity multiplicity and indeed difference itself, not a burden or a threat but as a gift , a gift of the Divine, an opportunity to learn rather than a danger to be avoided”

Imam has also advised and directed his community constitutional Institutions to work together with, and within his community, for the collective good, and so to improve the quality of life. This is also one of his Diamond Jubilee goals.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

MHI Speech at the United Nations Foundation Award

Bismillah-ir-Rahaman-ir-Rahim

President of the General Assembly Miroslav Lajčák,
Secretary-General António Guterres,
Deputy Secretary-General Amina Mohammed,
Former Secretary-General Kofi Annan,
The many Permanent Representatives in attendance,
Ladies and Gentlemen

Thank you so much Kofi Annan for your generous words of introduction. There is no person alive today who has made a greater contribution to world peace than you, and thanks are due to you from all around the world.

It is a pleasure for me to share this beautiful evening with all of you, and what a special honor it is to be receiving from the United Nations Foundation its “Champion of Change Award.” I must also say that it is a very humbling experience - especially as I look around this room at so many people who have truly been outstanding “Champions of Change” in so many fields of endeavour - including the others being honored tonight. I am indeed humbled to be in their presence.

I have come to know about the United Nations Foundation through our admired friend, Kofi Annan, who has been one of our “educators-in-chief” in spreading the good word about the UN Foundation - of which he is an extremely devoted and effective board member.

I am also an enthusiastic supporter of the UN Foundation for another reason. What has caught my attention for many years is how closely its philosophy about global development actually parallels our own. The words that leap out of its mission statements include terms like “linking” and “connecting…” not only with the United Nations itself, but with a host of other organisations. Some of these are private, some are governmental, and some are private but not-for-profit. I refer to this third category of institutions as “Civil Society” - by which I mean essentially private organisations that are fundamentally devoted to public purposes.

For a long time, political debate all around the world focused on the competing merits of government action versus private enterprise. My conviction, which has deepened through the years, is that these are false alternatives - and that is the central message I would emphasise in these brief remarks tonight. The question is not which sector can be most effective in the march towards progress - the central question is how these sectors can best become effective partners in this quest.

The concept of public-private partnerships has been one of the keys to the best work of our agencies, in many fields and many countries around the world in the last sixty years since I became the Imam of the Ismaili Muslim community. The public-private partnership formula alone, however, is incomplete - unless we also insert the words “Civil Society.” The partnerships that will most dramatically change the world are those in which all three components - private, public and civil society institutions - can connect one with the another in all-embracing common effort.

When that happens, other concepts emphasised by the UN Foundation also come alive. I have been impressed, for example, by the innovative terminology the Foundation uses in expressing its goals: like these three dynamic words: “Catalysing” – “multiplier” – and “effects.” Think about it.

The notion of “catalysing multiplier effects” reflects a similar dynamic to what I refer to as “trampoline” projects for development. These projects are best-practice examples of balanced partnerships between governments, private entities and civil society, threaded together by innovative thinking, intelligent structures, and clear lines of communication. Well-defined goals and responsibilities are essential, as is the buy-in of the target constituency.

Such projects offer the potential for long-range impacts, which go well beyond immediate, short-term results.

This goal is - to be candid - sometimes easier to talk about than to accomplish. But one of the great global models of how best to pursue this aim has been the United Nations Foundation.

Another central part of our Aga Khan Development Network’s approach is one that we also share with the United Nations Foundation: an emphasis on what we call “countries of opportunity”. The issue is to do what we must to set them alive by creating and sustaining an enabling environment.

And fundamental to all of this, of course, is a basic philosophical commitment which is expressed by another important word and that word is “pluralism”. This is a frame of mind which regards diversity, multiplicity, and indeed difference itself - not as a burden nor a threat but as a gift - a Gift of the divine - an opportunity to learn rather than a danger to be avoided.

So - it is with all of these thoughts in mind that I say again how proud I am to be here to accept your award - recognising how it reinforces not only the important “words” but also the useful concepts, and indeed the central “values”- that we - all of us - hold in common.

Thank you very much.

http://www.akdn.org/speech/his-highness ... tion-award
Admin

Aga Khan receives Global Leadership Award

Post by Admin »

Global Leadership Award
New York 18 October 2017
H.H. The Aga Khan attended accompanied by his daughter Princess Zahra and his son Prince Aly Muhammad.

kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Admin,

Change the title to reflect past tense...

Aga Khan received/honored with 2017 Global Leadership...
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Mawlana Hazar Imam honoured as a Champion for Global Change

Mawlana Hazar Imam was presented with the Champion for Global Change Award on 18 October at the 2017 Global Leadership Dinner, hosted by the United Nations Foundation in New York City.

The Global Leadership Awards ceremony recognises exemplary individuals, organisations, and institutions that align with the aims of the United Nations to advance global peace and progress. Mawlana Hazar Imam was accompanied to the ceremony by Princess Zahra and Prince Aly Muhammad.

Former UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan presented Mawlana Hazar Imam with the most esteemed honour of the evening, and offered congratulations on the occasion of his Diamond Jubilee.

Mr Annan also drew attention to Hazar Imam’s tireless dedication, through the work of the AKDN, to improving the lives of people everywhere.

“As a global leader he continuously demonstrates that what unites us is far greater than what divides us,” Annan said. “The world, especially in these difficult times, needs people of vision and goodwill like the Aga Khan.”

In his remarks upon receiving the award, Hazar Imam said, “It is a special honour to be receiving from the United Nations Foundation its Champions of Global Change Award… especially as I look around this room at so many people who have truly been outstanding champions of change in so many fields of endeavour, including the others being honoured tonight. I am indeed humbled to be in their presence.”

Drawing links between various sectors of enterprise, he went on to explain that the partnerships which most effectively contribute to positive change and development are those which combine the efforts of private, public, and civil society institutions, rather than selecting one over another.

“The question is not which sector can be most effective in the march towards progress — the central question is how these sectors can become effective partners in the quest?” he said.

Hazar Imam’s fellow honorees included US Senator Bob Corker; Director of the United Nations Mine Action Service Agnès Marcaillou; CEO and President of Mars, Incorporated Grant F. Reid; and singer-songwriter, and climate change advocate Ellie Goulding; who also performed at the event. Attendees included UN Secretary-General António Guterres, actor Daniel Craig, and journalist Larry King.

More...
https://the.ismaili/news/mawlana-hazar- ... bal-change
Admin

Post by Admin »

https://www.dawn.com/news/1365206/tribu ... s-services

Tribute paid to Aga Khan’s services
The Newspaper's Staff Reporter
October 21, 2017

NEW YORK: The Aga Khan has received Champion for Global Change award at the United Nations Foundation’s Global Leadership Dinner in New York City, said a statement on Friday.

The Aga Khan on the occasion said the question was not whether a government action or private enterprise was more effective, but rather how these sectors could become effective partners in the quest for development.

“The partnerships that will most dramatically change the world are those in which all three components — private, public and civil society institutions — can connect in all-embracing common efforts,” he said.

He said the Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN) and the United Nations Foundation were aligned in their emphasis on creating and sustaining enabling environments, working in “countries of opportunity,” and on creating public-private partnerships, which have been key factors in the AKDN’s work in many fields and in many countries.
Advertisement

While presenting the award, former UN secretary general Kofi Annan congratulated the Aga Khan on his Diamond Jubilee, marking 60 years of his services as imam of the Shia Ismaili community, and founder of the Aga Khan Development Network and for his dedication to improving the lives of people everywhere.

“As a global leader he continuously demonstrates that what unites us is far greater than what divides us,” Mr Annan said.

Noting that the most important aspect of the Aga Khan’s work was pluralism, he said: “The world, especially in these difficult times, needs people of vision and goodwill like the Aga Khan. He is a living example that there is no inevitable contradiction between religion and democracy that pluralism and diversity are possible, and that interaction of cultures enriches and empowers humanity.”

Published in Dawn, October 21st, 2017
Admin

Post by Admin »

Letter of sincere appreciation and warm wishes in recognition of His Highness the Aga Khan.from New York City Public Advocate
Posted October 19th, 2017 by librarian-hd
in

News Article United States of America New York City Awards United Nations English

Go To News Event:
His Highness The Aga Khan recognized as Champion for Global Change by UNA-USA and the United Nations Foundation
Date:
Wednesday, 2017, October 18
Public Advocate for the City of New York's Letter of Appreciation and best wishes for Diamond Jubilee to H.H. The Aga Khan

October 18, 2017

Dear friends,

As the New York City Public Advocate, I am pleased to write this letter of sincere appreciation and warm wishes in recognition of His Highness the Aga Khan.

I congratulate the Aga Khan for his recognition as a Champion for Global Change – an honor no doubt well earned through his exemplary leadership and service spanning decades. The principles of cooperation, inclusion, and action for the advancement of all of humanity are not simply preached by the Aga Khan, they are practiced by Ismaili Muslims around the world, including right here in New York City. Indeed, these principles are an inspiration to all of us who seek to build a better world where every man, woman, and child has the opportunity to realize their God-given potential.

I also wish to thank leaders of the Ismaili community in the United States, including Dr. Barkat Fazal, President of the Aga Khan Council USA and Shajahan Merchant, President of the Aga Khan Council for Northeastern, US.

On behalf of over eight million New Yorkers, it is my privilege to recognize this auspicious occasion and to wish His Highness the Aga Khan: Diamond Jubilee Mubarak!

Sincerely,

Letitia James Public Advocate for the City of New York
Admin

Post by Admin »

Another Video of H.H. The Aga Khan arriving with Princess Zahra and Prince Aly Muhammad for the Champion for Change Award Ceremony in New York.

H.H. The Aga Khan, always so considerate! First he waved at his people, then arriving at the door, he lets Princess Zahra and Prince Aly Muhammad enter first, then he turned and blessed his Murids with both hands up. Did you notice? New York 18 October 2017 The Aga Khan was recognised as the Champion for Global Change for which he received the Award at the United Nations Foundation’s Global Leadership Dinner in New York City. Did you notice: The Imam's speech papers in his son's hand?

https://www.facebook.com/IsmailiHeritag ... 819263782/

Try to look full screen!

Admin

Post by Admin »

https://www.pakistantoday.com.pk/2017/1 ... nge-award/

20 October 2017

Aga Khan receives Champion for Global Change Award

NEW YORK: Upon receiving the ‘Champion for Global Change’ award at the United Nations Foundation’s Global Leadership Dinner in New York, His Highness the Aga Khan suggested that the question was not whether government action or private enterprise was more effective, but rather how these sectors can become effective partners in the quest for development.

“The partnerships that will most dramatically change the world are those in which all three components—private, public and civil society institutions—can connect in all-embracing common efforts,” he said.

The Aga Khan told the audience that the Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN) and the United Nations Foundation were aligned in their emphasis on creating and sustaining enabling environments, working in “countries of opportunity,” and on creating public-private partnerships, which have been key factors in AKDN’s work in many fields and in many countries.

Honourees and Special Guests at the 2017 United Nations Global Leadership Dinner – from left to right: Daniel Craig, Agnès Marcaillou, Kathy Calvin, His Highness the Aga Khan, Ellie Goulding, Grant F. Reid. Akbar Hakim / Mairaj Manji

Presenting the award to the Aga Khan, former UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan congratulated the Aga Khan on his Diamond Jubilee, marking 60 years of his service as Imam (spiritual leader) of the Shi’a Ismaili Muslim Community, and founder of AKDN, as well as for his tireless dedication to improving the lives of people everywhere. “As a global leader he continuously demonstrates that what unites us is far greater than what divides us,” he said.

Noting that the most important aspect of the Aga Khan’s work was pluralism, Annan said, “The world, especially in these difficult times, needs people of vision and goodwill like the Aga Khan. He is a living example that there is no inevitable contradiction between religion and democracy, that pluralism and diversity are possible, and that interaction of cultures enriches and empowers humanity.”

“Instead of sitting on the sidelines in a world of suffering, they have acted with courage and commitment to help solve problems alongside the UN,” commented Kathy Calvin, President and CEO of UNF on the contributions of the five honorees, adding: “Tonight, we recognise these incredible leaders and the lesson they’ve taught us: to reach a better world, we shouldn’t turn our backs on each other; we should extend our hands.”

“With the wisdom, the tolerance, and the compassion of His Highness the Aga Khan, I think we can win the battle for a better world,” said United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres, at the ceremony.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

As received...

YAM family and friends,

It’s with much humility and joy that Shamu and I share this news with you all.

Last night United Nation Foundation hosted a Global Leadership Dinner in New York in which they honored Hazar Imam recognizing his work in Global change. Hazar Imam was accompanied by Princess Zahra and Prince Aly Mohammed along with LIF and US council members.

As you may or may not know Serena works at United Nations Foundation in DC and she was tapped to escort Hazar Imam and party from arrival at the event to VIP gathering and then on to the main dinner and recognition.

She was of course performing a duty for UNF, however in the VIP gathering, her CEO – Kathy Calvin pulled Serena to Hazar Imam and introduced her while telling Hazar Imam that Serena’s family was from Uganda. Hazar Imam shook Serena’s hand and they had a short conversation about the Uganda crisis and Hazar Imam did most of the talking.
Serena also got a chance to speak with Prince Aly Mohammed and he spoke about his recent visit to Hunza and asked Serena shared her internship experience in Tajikistan…….Serena was blown away with the Prince’s humility and such easy of conversation.

During this entire event Serena kept all of our family and friends in her thoughts so please accept our heartfelt Mubaraki.

The official AKDN video of the Global Leadership Diner will be shown in all JK’s (Canada and US) on Friday. It will be a highly edited video so don’t expect to see Serena in the video.
I may have missed some family members so please pass this email to them.

Shamu and Anwar
Admin

Post by Admin »

https://www.looktothestars.org/news/172 ... hip-dinner

UN Foundation Hosts 2017 Global Leadership Dinner

October 23, 2017

In recognition of the exemplary individuals, organizations, and corporations who have dedicated their time and resources to support the work of the United Nations and the Sustainable Development Goals, the United Nations Foundation and the United Nations Association of the USA (UNA-USA) honored five recipients with the 2017 Global Leadership Awards at the annual Global Leadership Dinner in New York City.

“The world needs today a strong, modernized, and reformed UN,” said United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres. “The world needs today the full engagement of the United States of America’s international relations. The world needs today, more than ever, strong cooperation amongst the United Nations and the United States of America.”

The evening’s event also marked the 20th anniversary of Ted Turner's announcement of a historic $1 billion gift to UN causes, which he made at the Global Leadership Dinner in 1997. In recognition of this gift, Kathy Calvin, President and CEO of the UN Foundation said, “Ted could have put that $1 billion anywhere; instead he decided to put it to work through the United Nations to serve the world.”

The honorees recognized at the event included:
Mars, Incorporated for the company’s commitment to the Sustainable Development Goals, through their Sustainable in a Generation Plan, which aims to protect the planet.
Ellie Goulding, Singer, Songwriter, and Record Producer for her commitment to climate action by championing efforts such as Earth Hour through the #MakeClimateMatter campaign and engaging children on climate change through Sesame Street.

United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS) in recognition of its inspiring and life-saving work over the past 20 years to mitigate the threats from mines and explosive remnants of war.

Senator Bob Corker the Chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee for his leadership on an issue of critical importance to the United States and the UN: ending modern day slavery.

His Highness the Aga Khan for his leadership in global health, education, and the refugee crisis through the Aga Khan Development Network, as well his extensive work with the UN.

The Global Leadership Dinner is a unique event that brings together representatives from the diplomatic, business, government, philanthropic, media, entertainment, and social sectors. In addition to recognizing the work of the honorees in support of the UN, the event raises funds for the United Nations Association of the United States of America (UNA-USA), a UN Foundation campaign that works to inform, educate, and inspire Americans to support the UN.

“I am delighted to receive the New Voices award tonight,” said Ellie Goulding. “Thank you to the UN Foundation for this huge honour. I’m also excited that I will soon join the UN family as a Goodwill Ambassador for UN Environment. These opportunities will allow me to use my platform and reach to amplify the efforts of those working so hard and decisively to shape a positive future on our beautiful planet.”

Daniel Craig was also in attendance.
Admin

Post by Admin »

http://www.dhakatribune.com/world/2017/ ... ves-award/

Prince Shah Karim Aga Khan receives Champion for Global Change Award

Tribune Desk
Published at 10:06 PM October 24, 2017

He continuously demonstrates that what unites us is far greater than what divides us'

27 27shares

Prince Shah Karim Al Hussaini Aga Khan was presented with the Champion for Global Change Award at the United Nations (UN) Foundation’s Global Leadership Dinner in New York City on October 18.

The Aga Khan told the audience that the Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN) and the UN Foundation were aligned in their emphasis on creating and sustaining enabling environments, working in “countries of opportunity” and on creating public-private partnerships, which have been key factors in AKDN’s work in many fields and countries.

“The partnerships that will most dramatically change the world are those in which all three components – private, public and civil society institutions can connect in all-embracing common efforts,” he said.

Former UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan congratulated the Aga Khan on his Diamond Jubilee, celebrating 60 years of his service as Imam of the Shi’a Ismaili Muslim Community, founder of AKDN and his continuous efforts to improvie the lives of people everywhere.

“As a global leader he continuously demonstrates that what unites us is far greater than what divides us,” he said.

Noting that the most important aspect of the Aga Khan’s work is pluralism, Kofi Annan added: “The world, especially in these difficult times, needs people of vision and goodwill like the Aga Khan. He is a living example that there is no inevitable contradiction between religion and democracy, that pluralism and diversity are possible and that interaction of cultures enriches and empowers humanity.”

“With the wisdom, the tolerance and the compassion of the Aga Khan, I think we can win the battle for a better world,” said UN Secretary-General António Guterres.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Video: Mawlana Hazar Imam honoured as a Champion for Global Change

Mawlana Hazar Imam was presented with the Champion for Global Change Award on 18 October at the 2017 Global Leadership Dinner, hosted by the United Nations Foundation in New York City.

The Global Leadership Awards ceremony recognises exemplary individuals, organisations, and institutions that align with the aims of the United Nations to advance global peace and progress. Mawlana Hazar Imam was accompanied to the ceremony by Princess Zahra and Prince Aly Muhammad.

https://the.ismaili/news/video-mawlana- ... bal-change
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

The Aga Khan receives the UN Champion for Global Change Award

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYP3dnV6Czw

On 18 October 2017 His Highness the Aga Khan received the UN Champion for Global Change Award in New York, USA. Speech by His Highness the Aga Khan