Considered Becoming Isma'ili, Some ?'s Remain

Discussion on doctrinal issues
solitary-seeker

Considered Becoming Isma'ili, Some ?'s Remain

Post by solitary-seeker »

Salaam Everyone,<BR><BR>My story is that I converted to Islam over a year ago.&nbsp; As I've tried to learn more since that time, I've seriously considered converting to Isma'ili Shi'a Islam.&nbsp; But unfortunately there's a lot more polemical information o&shy;n the internet than there is correct information.&nbsp; I have spoken to a few Isma'ilis, but most of my contacts o&shy;nline have been with young adults, and so some of my questions are hard for them to answer.&nbsp; (But props to the younger Isma'ilis who are using the internet to educate and inform about their faith!)&nbsp; <BR><BR>Here are my remaining questions/concerns.&nbsp; Perhaps people here can assist.<BR><BR>1) Zakat and khums.&nbsp; There are articles and websites by ex-Isma'ilis that claim that khums is 1/5 of a person's gross income.&nbsp; Here's the thing.&nbsp; The average age of conversion to any religion is 17.&nbsp; I'm twice that, and I have all of the debt that you aren't supposed to have in Islam: mortgage, student loans, etc.&nbsp; I have been trying to bring my finances in compliance with shar'ia for the past year while living in an environment driven by riba, but it is very difficult.&nbsp; Because of my debt, my zakat according to shar'ia is minimal, but I give more than that.&nbsp; But there's no feasible way I could handle 1/5 of my gross income.&nbsp; Is this the correct amount for zakat and khums for Isma'ilis?<BR><BR>2) Intercession.&nbsp; Again, information from polemical websites.&nbsp; They claim Isma'ili du'a makes intercession to the current Imam.&nbsp; Though imams are infallible, they are still limited by human characteristics such as place, time, and knowledge.&nbsp; Do Isma'ilis ask for intercession from the Imam in prayers, even when he is not within hearing?&nbsp; And if so, how do you explain this?<BR><BR>3) The other problem I have is location.&nbsp; I'm in the rural midwest USA.&nbsp; The closest Jamaatkhana is 4 hours away.&nbsp; The idea of practicing my religion o&shy;n my own isn't a big deal.&nbsp; I currently don't attend a masjid because I hear things there that I personally think are too harsh and sometimes very superstitious.&nbsp; But I still pray o&shy;n my own, I'm learning Arabic grammar, and have several Muslim friends o&shy;nline that I talk to and learn from all the time.&nbsp; Is my distance from a jamaatkhana a deal-breaker for conversion?
agakhani

Post by agakhani »

Brother,
As per my thinking asking any question regarding conversation in this forums is not right place to seek proper and correct answer , you should contact with ITREB, if you still not receive satisfactory answer from ITREB than you should contact with local and national councils of your jurisdiction. Good Luck.
Meanwhile you can visit following two links for more information and questions:-

http://www.ismaili.net/html/modules.php ... ght=zubair

http://www.ismaili.net/html/modules.php ... ght=zubair
solitary-seeker

Post by solitary-seeker »

<BR>Thank you agakhani, and perhaps you are right.&nbsp; I will start there and see where it leads.<BR><BR>:)<BR><BR>
agakhani wrote:Brother,<BR>As per my thinking asking any question regarding conversation in this forums is not right place to seek proper and correct answer , you should contact with ITREB, if you still not receive satisfactory answer from ITREB than you should contact with local and national councils of your jurisdiction. Good Luck.<BR>Meanwhile you can visit following two links for more information and questions:-<BR><BR>http://www.ismaili.net/html/modules.php ... ght=zubair <BR><BR>http://www.ismaili.net/html/modules.php ... ght=zubair
nuseri

Post by nuseri »

Ya Ali MADAD:to new member who sent me a private mail.
As I understand that you are Sunni from Karachi have desire to become an Ismaili.
I chose to reply in open forum ( to stay away from personal identities).
Firstly I must congratulate you on your desire/decision ,I felt little alarmed on your first name.I do not know your intent that you did not post this in open forum but in private mail to me.
I do not know the formalities in Pakistan ,there is ITREB who may information for your issue.
My view and guidance is more from holistic humanitarian and ruhaniyat angle.
1.Islam is a way of Life not a regimental dose of drill,motions and posturings.So having a life with FAITH and with highest ethics is important.
2.WE firmly believe that our Imam is God ,so our prayers are addressed to him ,besides acknowledgement to Allah and prophet.
If one cannot visualize ,desire to see God ,then any volume of prayers has not much value.
3.get a nice photograph of Hazar Imam to remind you of face and presence of God thru his image to start with.
4.Main thing is to sit and practice meditation from 4 am to 5 am.start with 20 minutes and increase to one hour DAILY.
You must meditate in name of YA ALI.YA ALI YA ALI.
5.try to read Farmans and Speeches of our Imam on this site and other websites and YouTube.
6.Be generous with income after basic family expences to donate to IMAMAT organizations in your country ,every rupee you donate is accounted for its end use..If not then give it widow and orphans in your area.
7.keep praying your existing namaaz ,but aligned your intent that Hazard Imam is accepting your prayers even when you use the word Allah.
You will be able to observe tremodous change in your self in contentment,peace of Mind .
Remember to keep smiling as it is primary blessing of God.
God bless you with your intent.
GO AHEAD & FEEL BLEESED in your mind ,heart and soul.
shivaathervedi

Post by shivaathervedi »

nuseri wrote:Ya Ali MADAD:to new member who sent me a private mail.
As I understand that you are Sunni from Karachi have desire to become an Ismaili.
Firstly I must congratulate you on your desire/decision ,I felt little alarmed on your first name.I do not know your intent that you did not post this in open forum but in private mail to me.
I do not know the formalities in Pakistan ,there is ITREB who may information for your issue.
My view and guidance is more from holistic humanitarian and ruhaniyat angle.
1.Islam is a way of Life not a regimental dose of drill,motions and posturings.So having a life with FAITH and with highest ethics is important.
2.WE firmly believe that our Imam is God ,so our prayers are addressed to him ,besides acknowledgement to Allah and prophet.
If one cannot visualize ,desire to see God ,then any volume of prayers has not much value.
3.get a nice photograph of Hazar Imam to remind you of face and presence of God thru his image to start with.
4.Main thing is to sit and practice meditation from 4 am to 5 am.start with 20 minutes and increase to one hour DAILY.
You must meditate in name of YA ALI.YA ALI YA ALI.
5.try to read Farmans and Speeches of our Imam on this site and other websites and YouTube.
6.Be generous with income after basic family expences to donate to IMAMAT organizations in your country ,every rupee you donate is accounted for its end use..If not then give it widow and orphans in your area.
7.keep praying your existing namaaz ,but aligned your intent that Hazard Imam is accepting your prayers even when you use the word Allah.
You will be able to observe tremodous change in your self in contentment,peace of Mind .
Remember to keep smiling as it is primary blessing of God.
God bless you with your intent.
GO AHEAD & FEEL BLEESED in your mind ,heart and soul.

LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS:

I think that private e mail was a trap for Nuseri.
I have objection on his points 2, 3, 4. He wrote;

Nuseri's point 2 is objectionable. Not all Ismailis including Central Asians, Arabs, Chinese, and mostly Khojas do not believe Imam is God. But he is considered as Mazhar of Allah or Intercessor (wasila).
Nuseri is not ITREB or spokesperson of Imam.
Ismaili Imam has already explained the Tenets of Ismailism in Preamble.
Preamble is an official declaration by Imam of Ismailis. No one is allowed to interfere in that document.
Nuseri chose to answer in open Forum instead of replying directly because he is scared of his identification. He has previously bad experience of that.
He did not care that his blasphemous statement going all over and should be used by non Ismailis for persecution.

To the person who e mailed directly Nuseri.
Please note Nuseri is not a spokesperson of our Imam. If you want to seriously understand Ismailism, READ AND UNDERSTAND PREAMBLE OF ISMAILI CONSTITUTION, in which our Imam has explained Tenets of Ismailism.