Biographies, Role Models etc...
nagib

Dilzayn Panjwani

Post by nagib »

Etobicoke scholar earns $75,000 for university studies
http://www.mirror-guardian.com/to/etobi ... 6135c.html

LISA RAINFORD More from this author
Mar. 13, 2005

An Etobicoke teen, a self-described humanitarian, has been chosen as one of 30 National Award Scholars for 2005 and will receive an award valued at $75,000 towards her post-secondary studies.
The Canadian Merit Scholarship Foundation (CMSF), an organization that gives out some of the largest undergraduate awards, has deemed Dilzayn Panjwani one of Canada's most promising young leaders.

"It's such an honour to receive this award," said Panjwani, a Grade 12 student at Branksome Hall, a downtown Toronto school for girls. "It feels special. I'm very grateful."

Panjwani has worked with Nelson Mandela's Children's Fund and War Child Canada, organizing a gala fundraiser. She recruited volunteers for a peace project in South Africa and distributed aid to Afghan children.

Panjwani is also the assistant editor of her yearbook and choreographs the school's annual Indian dance production and its annual multicultural show.

As part of Branksome Hall's Undiscovered Math Prodigies program, Panjwani, 17, tutors younger children and recently won the Aga Khan Service Award for outstanding contribution within and outside the Ismaili community in Ontario.

"I've always been fortunate and I feel that I should help others," Panjwani said. "I'm very grateful for what I have and want to give back."

She was inspired to volunteer for the Nelson Mandela Children's Fund after seeing the South African civil rights leader when he came to the SkyDome. Its board chair is also a close family friend.

CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR

In addition to her volunteer work, Panjwani is an Ontario Tennis Association competitive tennis player and certified instructor.

"It's all about time management," she told The Weekender.

She also credits Branksome Hall.

"It's a school that provides lots of opportunities. It has opened a lot of doors for me," she said.

"It's a good environment for me to pursue what I'm interested in, for example, playing tennis, junior band."

Panjwani was recently elected community service prefect, which she said she is excited about because the role will enable her to hone her leadership skills.

She describes herself as passionate, motivated, hardworking and determined.

It's her goal to become a doctor. On a recent trip to India, she witnessed a lot of illness - "there's such an uneven distribution of medical service in this world," she said.

Panjwani's father is a doctor as are her uncles. Her older sister is pursuing a career in medicine.

"I have really great family support. My three sisters have all accomplished great things," Panjwani said. "I'm the humanitarian in my family."

Panjwani will receive a full scholarship to a Canadian university of her choice.

She will also have access to additional support, including a conference, mentors, summer internships and grants.

INVEST IN FUTURE

"We invest in the future and well-being of our communities by investing in individuals - one at a time," said CMSF Executive Director Franca Gucciardi.

"CMSF has always supported unconventional young people and encourages them to take their talents and put them to work."