Biographies, Role Models etc...
nagib

Naheed Dosani

Post by nagib »

http://www.insidetoronto.ca/to/scarboro ... 2218c.html

scholarships

MICHELE McLEAN More from this author
May. 19, 2004

A local high school student not only gets high academic marks, he also gets high marks for his community
involvement.

And all Naheed Dosani's hard work has paid off; he has been awarded $111,000 in scholarship funding.

"I'm not happy just having the money," he said. "It's important to raise awareness."

Dosani, 19, is a student at Dr. Norman Bethune Collegiate Institute with a 94.5 per cent average. He received a
$60,000 scholarship from TD Canada Trust, a $2,000 scholarship from Wendy's Restaurants, $2,000 from the
University of Ontario Institute of Technology in Oshawa, $500 from the Canadian Merit Scholarship award and
$500 from the Toronto Star.

He also received $20,000 from the Canadian Millennium Scholarship Foundation but agreed not to accept the
award when TD Canada suggested he accept their $60,000. He also accepted an additional $5,000 from other
organizations.

He received $30,000 from the University of Ontario Institute of Technology, but decided only to accept $2,000.
The remaining $28,000 will go toward creating a new scholarship in his name for future recipients.

"This way I'll get to help other kids," he said. "With the interest, it will last forever and be able to keep going."

It's that attitude that Dosani shares with his classmates. He started a coin drive to raise funds for Afghanistan in
his high school and got four local elementary schools involved.

The idea started when he experienced racism in his own school shortly after the 9/11 attacks. He said he was
walking down the hall when another student said, "what's up Osama" to Dosani's Arab friend.

"He (his Arab friend) ignored it, but I felt like I had to react," he said. "Not all Muslims are terrorists. There was a
lack of awareness."

He started the awareness campaign through the personal and social responsibility club at his school. "I turned
the feelings of ignorance and hatred into feelings of sympathy," he said.

Dosani also started a school radio station, which went on air 45 minutes before school began each day to
encourage students to get there early and get involved.

He used the radio airtime to start another campaign to thank healthcare workers.

He said he heard complaints about how the healthcare workers aren't doing enough.

"They stepped up," he said. "They're our soldiers."

He said after reading about the Blue Ribbon Campaign in The Scarborough Mirror, he wanted to bring it to his own
school.

He dedicated a full day to thanking healthcare workers and had all the students at the school sign a huge banner
to thank them.

The banner was then delivered to the Scarborough Hospital.

Dosani has held food drives for the Salvation Army, served as vice-president of the student council, editor of the
school newspaper and also plays football, softball and is a marathon runner.

He is a student executive cabinet member of the United Way and is a Youth Lieutenant Big Brother in his
Scarborough mosque.

Dosani said he owes it all to his parents. His parents moved to Canada from Uganda in 1972. "My parents are my
heroes," Dosani said.

Dosani said his mother worked long hours in a factory and his father worked two jobs, but they went to school and
became accountants and now have successful careers.

Dosani said he plans on studying biological science at the University of the Ontario Institute of Technology, then
going to medical school and eventually working overseas with Doctors Without Borders.

"That would be my ultimate dream," he said. "It just feels like the right thing to do."
Admin

Post by Admin »

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Conten ... 8793972154

Jun. 23, 2004. 06:14 AM

Star students find it's raining money
Schools shower cash on top prospects
Record awards as student numbers fall

[Image]
SALVATORE SACCO FOR THE TORONTO STAR
Naheed Dosani, who won $111,000 in scholarships, is donating a $28,000 scholarship back to the university.

LOUISE BROWN
EDUCATION REPORTER

Scarborough teen Naheed Dosani has won so much scholarship money for university - $111,000 at last count - he has to give some of it back.

His 94.4 per cent average and volunteer work fighting racism has drawn merit money from universities, Ottawa and even a restaurant chain. The biggest prize, though - a scholarship for $60,000 over four years from TD Canada Trust - forbids winners from accepting more than $5,000 elsewhere.

So at 19, before he ever attends a class on campus, Dosani will create a scholarship in his name using some of the money he can't keep - the $28,000 Chancellor's Scholarship from the University of Ontario Institute of Technology (UOIT) in Oshawa, where he will enrol this fall.

"I know a lot of students who need financial help for university, and every little bit helps," said Dosani. "The feeling of helping other students is unparalleled."

Fellow TD winner Saswati Deb, who also is heading to UOIT this fall, will give back the full $9,250 scholarship the university gave her for her 95 per cent average and her volunteer work tutoring young Bengali immigrants and raising money for illiterate children in India. The university will set up a scholarship in her name also.

In Canada's booming $200 million-a-year award market, it's actually possible to win too much money.

As they compete for the top students - whom studies show are more likely to do well, attract research grants and become generous alumni down the road - universities are steadily sweetening the pot, with growing help from government and private industry.

Ontario universities will reveal today how well they did in the scramble for students this fall, after applications dropped about 30 per cent from last year's historic double cohort.

Lakehead, Nipissing, the University of Western Ontario and the University of Ottawa all beefed up scholarships.

York University tried the personal touch by making home visits this spring to its 25 top applicants - all with marks over 90 per cent - and offering scholarships of $4,000 to $6,000 face to face. York's move paid off, with 40 per cent of those elite students enrolling at York this fall, roughly twice the percentage who usually come.

An Internet directory called Scholarshipscanada.com listed 37,000 entrance scholarships this year, up from 28,000 just two years ago, at a current value of $58 million. (Students should also check http://www.studentawards.com.)

"We all want the best. There's a direct link between calibre of student and their retention and success and, ultimately, becoming successful alumni," said Julie Cafley, former manager of recruitment at the University of Ottawa, which launched 84 new hefty scholarships this year. Scholarships can make the difference for many students, with the cost of tuition, residence and books about $14,500 a year.
Admin

Post by Admin »

News release

UOIT student wins Human Rights Award
December 9, 2004
OSHAWA, Ont. - Naheed Dosani, an honours Bachelor of Science student with the University of Ontario Institute of Technology (UOIT) will today be presented with a William P. Hubbard Award for Race Relations from the City of Toronto.

"I am very honoured and very surprised to have been selected for such an award. It is even more of an honour to me because I have been recognized as an outstanding citizen by the city I have lived in since I was born," said Dosani who is a resident of Scarborough. "I also see this award as an achievement of not only my actions, but of those who helped me change negative feelings and educate people in the post 9/11 era about the fact that not all Muslims, Arabs and Afghans are terrorists."

The award will be handed out by Mayor David Miller at 5:30 p.m. in the Council Chamber of Toronto City Hall, located at 100 Queen Street West. It honours Dosani's work in creating positive race relations in Toronto.

Nominated by Alice Longhurst of TD Canada Trust (Dosani was a TD Canada Trust Scholar), his previous work includes educating high school students and local elementary schools about the suffering that many individuals in Afghanistan have had to endure. As a result of his efforts, nearly $3,000 was raised for orphanages and hospitals.

"I give thanks to all those who have supported me including my parents, my family, my friends and my mentors," said Dosani. "I hope to continue working on such community-based initiatives with the new organization I have started up and that will be launching in the new year with many other students on the campus of Durham College and UOIT - Students for Humanitarianism and Action through Respect and Education (SHARE). I look forward to working on initiatives with this organization both locally and internationally in the future."

The William P. Hubbard Award for Race Relations is one of five awards that will be presented at the event, which is administered by the Chief Administrator's office for the City of Toronto.

- 30 -

About the University of Ontario Institute of Technology

As the province's newest university, the University of Ontario Institute of Technology provides a unique combination of academic knowledge, vibrant student life, leading-edge research, and hands-on skills. The university offers career-focused undergraduate degree programs in the fields of business and information technology, sciences, engineering, nursing, social science, and education. It is also developing leading-edge research and graduate programs, and is Ontario's first laptop-based university. Sharing facilities and selected services with Durham College, UOIT has over 1,800 students following 12 months of operation. To find out more, visit www.uoit.ca or call 1.866.844.8648.

For more information, please contact:
Tania Henvey
Communications and Marketing
905.721.3111 ext. 2513
tania.henvey@dc-uoit.ca