The concept of Eid in Ismailisim (Ali Raza shallwani)

Current issues, news and ethics
saleemsadruddin1

Post by saleemsadruddin1 »

I am little confused on this issue, maybe my concepts are not clear.

If you say that Quran is not bound by time and space then this means that everything written in Quran is as valid as it was valid when revealed.

If you talk about interpretation, I would much appriciate to kindly post Farman of Hazir Imam on Roza / Fasting.

rgds
curious2

Post by curious2 »

saleemsadruddin1 wrote:I am little confused on this issue, maybe my concepts are not clear.

If you say that Quran is not bound by time and space then this means that everything written in Quran is as valid as it was valid when revealed.

If you talk about interpretation, I would much appriciate to kindly post Farman of Hazir Imam on Roza / Fasting.

rgds
You haven't shown us your concepts yet, how could you be confused by just posting two ayats from the Qur'an?

Have you read this post from ONiazi yet?
Ya Ali madad wa assalamu aleikum min Maula Hazir Imam!

It seems that there is no consensus among Ismailis whether Ismailis should or are permitted to fast during Ramadhan. To be honest, there is enough to be concerned about living Islam in a tariqati/haqiqati/marifati way to worry about shariati matters. But since tariqah, haqiqah, and marifah are built on the foundation of shariah, one cannot simply abandon shariah.

This is the way I see it - Ismailis practicing shariati practices is neither forbidden nor discouraged. As long as shariah doesn't interfere with tariqah, haqiqah, or marifah, an Ismaili may follow whatever parts of the shariah as he/she would like. If an Ismaili wants to keep the shariati fast during Ramadhan, he/she is welcome to. However, it is also important to remember that according to the official interpretation (that is, according to the blessed firmans of the Hazir Imams (as)) of the higher forms of Islam (tariqati, haqiqati, and marifati Islam), fasting has a higher meaning that Ismailis should internalize and practice on a daily basis. As Ismailis who have taken baiyat on Allah hands (through the Hazir Imam's hands or through the Hazir Imam through the mukhisaheb), understanding and practicing the higher forms of Islam is mandatory.

In this way, Ismailis are welcome to perform the shariati hajj to Mekkah, Mina, Arafat, etc., as long as they also understand the batuni elements of hajj and are faithful in their jamaati activities.

The only exception, I would venture to say, would be salaat. Ismailis have been instructed by the Hazir Imams (as) numerous times that they should be faithful in saying the Holy Dua daily in the jamaatkhana. Offering salaat the shariati way may interfere with attending the jamaat. One may not abandon the Hazir Imam - may He save anyone who does! - for a lower level of Islam.

However, this is all speculation - if I am wrong anywhere, I hope Maula will forgive me, and I hope I will be corrected.

Maula hafiz,
Omayr
I agree with Nagib/Shams and Oniazi at the same time. While views by Nagib/Shams are still valid, but above post from ONiazi holds more weight in current day and age.

nagib

Post by nagib »

saleemsadruddin1 wrote:I am little confused on this issue, maybe my concepts are not clear.

rgds
I can see that your concepts are not clear. The Quran as formulated by Allah is Eternal. The book, called also Mushaf is a compilation by people who are bound by time and space and mistakes. God is beyong mistake. His Quran is with Him. That one will never become obsolete, even after 10 billion years when the Qaba and this planete may have disapear and other forms of life may have appear in further Galaxy where the book that you know as Quran will not exist, the Qaba will not exist, maybe eyes for reading will not exist, but the eternal Quran of Allah which can not be written will continue to exist.
star_munir

Post by star_munir »

As we were discussing on Eid celebration and fating, I got an interesting article from my friend about hindu fasting in Ramzan. I found it interesting and thought to shate it with you.

For the past 25 years Tukaram Jadhav (62), a Hindu social worker, has been observing Ramzan. Jadhav fasts for the entire period of the festival and last Thursday, the Lower Parel resident gathered nearly 150 of his colleagues, friends and relatives to celebrate Id.

“I believe in all religions. I fast during Navratri for all nine days too. I don’t think there is anything great in that,” said Jadhav.

The Ramzan ritual

During Ramzan, Jadhav wakes up at 4.30 am every morning for Sehari and has two glasses of water and one glass of milk. “I don t know Namaz, so I recite my regular Hindu prayer instead. In the evenings I break my fast and say my Hindu prayers again,” says Jadhav.

Says his friend Malesham Jindam, “He even arranges iftari for people outside masjids.” Jadhav also has a translated version of the Roza prayer in Marathi.

Why did he start the practice?

Jadhav started observing Roza with a close Muslim friend, late Suleman Ibrahim Didh. Suleman, in turn, followed Hindu traditions with Jadhav and fasted during Navratri. They celebrated Id at Suleman’s home, but since Suleman is no longer alive, Suleman’s family members celebrate Id at Jadhav s home.

“Suleman always came with me to Mahalaksmi temple on Sundays and I followed him to Hajiali Darga on Fridays”, says Jadhav.

“I have become old, but will try and keep this up as much as I can. It keeps the memory of my friend fresh in my mind. I am thankful to God and my wife Laxmibai Jadhav (55) who always helps me complete my Roza. It wouldn’t have been possible otherwise.”
positive

EID

Post by positive »

YAM, having read about everybody's comments and various quotes, can someone PLEASE post in a "note form" / point wise everything about EID at your earliest convenience please.... or suggest where to find this information......

- as to the different kinds of eids,
- the meaning of each eid
- time of the year they are celebrated
- how do Ismailies celebrate and other muslims celebrate these EIDs

My son has been given a project to do at school and we would really like to let the non-muslims students share and know more about our Eid... since Christmas was celebrated not too long ago .... and we can produce some points effectively and talk about them with confidence, this opportunity, in my opinion is one way of educating a little something to these young minds, who will take back the information to their families as well.
We do know the various Eids and the meanings to an extent but would like proper definitions when we talk about these topics infront of a non-muslim or other muslims and the verbage has to be right... so I would really appreciate someone to help us out with this information as soon as possible.... perhaps in a few days ? PLEASE... thanks and YAM

We are very desperate to get this information soon and correctly.
kmaherali

Re: EID

Post by kmaherali »

positive wrote:YAM, having read about everybody's comments and various quotes, can someone PLEASE post in a "note form" / point wise everything about EID at your earliest convenience please.... or suggest where to find this information......
You may want to go to:

http://sun.ismaili.net/re/page5.html

You will find all the information about our festivals there.
zznoor

Post by zznoor »

There is article on net from Ismaili web site

"The True Spirit of Fasting"
It has Farman of imam SMS
Rajkot, 21-10-1903
(Source: Kalame Imame Mobin Volume 1, page 168)

In it says
A true Ismaili Murid does not fast only during the month of Ramadan but all 365 days of the year. (Not exact words)
I understand it as Ismailis should fast during Ramdan as well as thruout year doing spiritual fast.
tret

Post by tret »

zznoor wrote:There is article on net from Ismaili web site

"The True Spirit of Fasting"
It has Farman of imam SMS
Rajkot, 21-10-1903
(Source: Kalame Imame Mobin Volume 1, page 168)

In it says
A true Ismaili Murid does not fast only during the month of Ramadan but all 365 days of the year. (Not exact words)
I understand it as Ismailis should fast during Ramdan as well as thruout year doing spiritual fast.

that's the essence of Fasting, to fast [spiritually] through out the year, and not only during the month of ramadan.

Now, your criticism should be towards individuals and not towards our tariqa [ismaili] nor towards our Imams or Their teachings.

If you genuinely try and understand all Farameen of the Imams, they are truly and genuinely true Islam and indeed for the betterment of mankind.