Mohammed, Shyroz and Qyzra Walji / murder-suicide?

Current issues, news and ethics
kassambhai

Mohammed, Shyroz and Qyzra Walji / murder-suicide?

Post by kassambhai »

Walji's feared deportation by Immigration Canada Special

By Khalid Magram

Nov 6, 2013 - yesterday in Crime

London - In the wake of the sudden death of three family members in London, ON, last week, it has emerged that the victims were in constant fear of deportation from Canada.

Police say Mohammed, Shyroz and Qyzra Walji all died of gunshot wounds in an apparent murder-suicide in London, Ontario, in Canada.

"They were a family that fought the immigration system with passion for a long time. That was it, after 15-years they gave up all hope,” Said Mohamed Walji's sister, Ruby Walji, after attending the funeral service Tuesday in Toronto.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada has routinely denied permanent residency in the past to parents with special needs children citing huge cost to healthcare system. Canada’s immigration rules in section 38 do have a clause that states that you are not eligible for immigration if you would make an excessive demand on health and social services. Qyzra, 21, had cerebral palsy.

However, The Convention on the Rights of Disabled People places obligations on countries to protect disabled people’s rights and freedoms. This includes the right to free movement and residency.

Walji's moved here for Qyzra more than decade ago from Tanzania. There she would have faced discrimination and denied rights to go school. Since, they have been working toward permanent status in the country, but faced obstacles at every turn.

"Whenever something looked good, Immigration would throw in another stumbling block," Anne Robertson, a nurse who worked with the family told London Free Press.

According to Robertson, they were always worried someone would come knocking at their door (to deport them).
Digital Journal learned that the Walji family were also in dire financial situation.

Ruby Walji said she and others would pitch in to help and Qyzra teachers and social workers would often cover extra costs for her needs, but this was not enough for a family with so many needs.

She is angry at her own faith community for not helping.

The Walji family belong to Ismaili Muslim community, an affluent and well-established community all over Canada with a vibrant socioeconomic structure helping those in need in Third World countries and in Canada.

The Ismaili community were aware of the family's hardships and ongoing immigration problems but did nothing to help. “They (the Waljis) were told the (Ismaili community) welfare system cannot support this kind of financial burden,” Ruby Walji said.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/361599
zznoor

Post by zznoor »

The Ismaili community were aware of the family's hardships and ongoing immigration problems but did nothing to help. “They (the Waljis) were told the (Ismaili community) welfare system cannot support this kind of financial burden,” Ruby Walji said.
What happens to 12.5% contribution?
shiraz.virani

Post by shiraz.virani »

zznoor said :
Well, I think you are the very same person who if I'm not mistaken were appreciative of the work done by the current imam in the past....what happened then ???

See, just because you are not able to convince even 1 person on this forum to leave his faith and join you and your look a likes does not mean you should abuse or get personal.

Infact I wanna go one step ahead today and officially inform my friends on here that a cousin of mine who left ismaili faith some 2-3 years ago has now started coming back to JK more often. As there a saying from the holy quran :

"God does not change man's condition unless he want's to change himself"
zznoor

Post by zznoor »

Well, I think you are the very same person who if I'm not mistaken were appreciative of the work done by the current imam in the past....what happened then ???

Imam does yoman's work for charity, no doubt about it. I am just questioning local Jamaat. Does't charity begin at home? I would definitely implore Mukti Saheb to take care of poor in Jamaat first.
ShamsB

Post by ShamsB »

zznoor wrote:
Our Imam buys yachts and horses and houses with them. Not to forget the numerous women he has all over the world.

Satisfied?

Now can I ask what happens with your Zakat money? do you even pay it?
do you ask your maulvi what he did with it?
Take a look around any ismaili community and you will see what the community does for it's individuals.

In this case - it was Canadian Immigration that threw a stumbling block.

And - these individuals like Ruby Walji etc will complain - I ask since charity begins at home - where were the individuals like Ruby Walji at that point in time?

As ismailies - a lot of our work is done anonymously - how do you know this family wasn't helped?

I say this - ask you maulvi what is done with the zakat money you pay - and look at the families in your mosque and make sure all the poor are taken care of - completely and holistically and then come and ask us the question...

Shams
ShamsB

Post by ShamsB »

zznoor wrote:Well, I think you are the very same person who if I'm not mistaken were appreciative of the work done by the current imam in the past....what happened then ???

Imam does yoman's work for charity, no doubt about it. I am just questioning local Jamaat. Does't charity begin at home? I would definitely implore Mukti Saheb to take care of poor in Jamaat first.
it seems like Ruby is a legal citizen of Canada and Mohammed Walji's sister; could she not have adopted Qyzra at a young age? to bring her into the system and thus have the medical costs covered?

Shams