SATSANG?

Past or Present customs and their evolution
Haysal

SATSANG?

Post by Haysal »

My mother tells me that as a child her mother and grandmother had satsang where the ladies got together from various households and prayed the whole night. Has anyone heard about this?
shiraz.virani

Post by shiraz.virani »

Yeh in today's world its called " KITTY PARTY " :lol:
Haysal

Post by Haysal »

Seriously....Kitty Parties??? no no they prayed......my Mom tells me there was satsang and then something very interesting like bibi Fatima ki thali??? women gathered together broke their fasts etc . Anyone knows about these Ismaili practices?
agakhani

Post by agakhani »

Brother Shiraz,
In Houston Satsang is organized every day in this kind satsang peoples are get together and read farmans and recites ginans and try to find out "Ruhani meanings of farmans and ginans, in my opinion it is nothing wrong as long as they are not organizing "satsang" during the time of dua and do not spread any thing against the Ismailils and our tradition.
Admin

Post by Admin »

The only problem with Satsangs is that over time one of the participant becomes group leader and people start trusting his interpretation more then they trust their inner voice and when this occurs it will engender evil forces within the group.

In Ismailism, there is no place for more than one spiritual father.

Up to the time this is respected, there is no problem in Satsangs.
Haysal

Post by Haysal »

Agakhani brother,
I have lived in Houston but these satsangs I havent heard of . Is this a practice recently started? Why in Houston only? I don't think these have MHIs approval can a murid do any practice Imam has not approved of? On one end we are Farma bardar momins and on other end we practice rituals not approved by MHI? Our leaders seem to treat Ismailism as per their convenience, they follow what is convenient to them and rest tell us Mowla does not like.
agakhani

Post by agakhani »

That is true that Satsang helds on in Houston for a long time I think since more than decade, however I never participated in it not I have any intention to participate soon, about MHI farmans, I do not know whetehr there is a farman on 'satsang' or not but if I am not forgetting then MSM insisted us to find Ruhani/Batini meaning of farmans and ginans and these grops in Houston are trying to find out this kind meaning, they are not spreading any bad news neither they say any thing bad about MHI and I know some group members who are very punctual in JK.
Admin

Post by Admin »

Haysal wrote:Agakhani brother,
I don't think these have MHIs approval can a murid do any practice Imam has not approved of? On one end we are Farma bardar momins and on other end we practice rituals not approved by MHI?
Satsang is not a ritual, it only means a group of people who gather to discuss religion.
agakhani

Post by agakhani »

Let me give you more detail about "satsang", Satsang is a Sanskrit word however you can also find this word in Pakrit, Hindi, Punjabi and Gujarati too.
'Sat' means true, a guide who can teach you what is right and what is wrong, 'sang' means company/association; satsang means a company of a true leader, this leader gives us a true advise on many issues including religious guidances, in our religion he/she usally gives guidance and gives Ruhani meaning of ginans and farmans, so many peoples who can not understand the meaning of ginans and farmans they takes vantage from the satsang and from leader, but don't surprise this this kind practice is not only in our religion but it is also in Hindu and swaminarayani sects too however there is no any measurement how much his/her teaching is true!? and who knows his/her teaching is really true or false? because there is no measurements so some times the leader become prejudice, there is a simple practice not compulsorry to any one and nobody force you it is not a ritual, if you want to participate then participate in it and if you don't like it then you don't have to, but according many satsangi it is a very informative as long as our tradition is concern, my advise is to you if you can understand ginans and farmans very well then you don't have to waste your time in this kind satsang, be your own guru and one of day you will be able to understand each and every words of ginans, this is my personal experience.[/b]
Haysal

Post by Haysal »

These are held in Khane? So can anyone call and invite for satsang in Khane?
Like if I want to hold one can I invite few people over in Khane and then we can discuss and interpret the farmans and get answers to the questions?
Admin

Post by Admin »

Satsang is not a religious ceremony, I think this is easy enough to understand. So it is not held in Jamatkhana.

Sat means "truth", it does not mean a person or a guide that teaches the truth.
knowledge

Satsang

Post by knowledge »

The name Satsang is now changed to Ilm Majlis. I have attended a few and as mentioned by some ignorant people that it is a kitty party which is totally untrue. Farmans are discussed and interpretations of ginans are discussed in Ilm Majlis. It is held everywhere from India, Pakistan, Canada, America to even Tajikistan.

I think rather than ismailies getting together and gossiping I feel there is no harm in discussing farmans and ginans together.
Admin

Post by Admin »

Satsang is satsang, there may be many name for the same concept, one can not change the name, at the most yes they can conduct ilm-mijlas which basically comes to the same. By putting an Arabic name to replace an Indian or Gujrati word Satsang, there is nothing much that is to be achieved.
agakhani

Post by agakhani »

Sat means "truth", it does not mean a person or a guide that teaches the truth
Admin,

Well I wrote the same but in short please read my quote below:-

Code: Select all

'Sat' means true
and you wrote as "Truth", meaning remain same.

Knowledge,
Keeping a different name of "Satsang" does not change the purpose of this kind gathering but I agree with you that Kitty party and Satsang are totally different things.

Haysal,
No, Satsang is not held in Jamat Khana and if you want to participate there is a no restriction for any one if you have good knowledge to understand Gujarati because most discussion usually going on in Gujarati or in Urdu. just call the organizer.
Haysal

Post by Haysal »

ILM majlis sounds good. Please send me the organizers name and contact info.

I agree with Admin that the group leader may over time become a kind of be all, know all to Ismailism like some of our missionaries who think they are experts so if they do not know the answer they won't say 'I do not know but I will find out.' They will then start giving ambiguous answers and spin some tale which will leave you feeling foolish to have asked this in the first place!
shiraz.virani

Post by shiraz.virani »

Brother Shiraz,
In Houston Satsang is organized every day in this kind satsang peoples are get together and read farmans and recites ginans and try to find out "Ruhani meanings of farmans and ginans, in my opinion it is nothing wrong as long as they are not organizing "satsang" during the time of dua and do not spread any thing against the Ismailils and our tradition.
Agakhani bhai could you please tell me the exact place and time where this satsung is held in houston...I would love to find out what goes on in this majlis.
agakhani

Post by agakhani »

Yes, I will soon, let me gather some more information please give me your e-mail address that way I can send it, however you have to call and take permission and please don't disclose my name.