Holy Dua

Discussion on R&R from all regions
sisterzsalaam

Holy Dua

Post by sisterzsalaam »

Salaam. I have several questions and googling hasn't helped me at all to get the answers. I have felt led to explore the Ismaili Nizari beliefs and practiced for a couple years, but it is hard to find much info online and I have no one nearby I can ask all this to f2f.

Maybe the "mystery" is partly because some of the Ismaili practices are not shared for the public (I could understand that since they are criticized so much by more mainstream/conservative Muslims)

Could someone let me know how I can learn the Holy Dua in both English and Arabic? Is there a book or a person I can contact for that?

I would also like to get some suggestions of books to read to begin learning more about this branch of the Ismailis. Is there a bookseller which specializes in Ismaili books?

I know that women who are Nizari Muslims do not wear hijab. What is the view of the hijab within the community and if a woman chooses to wear one, would she be criticized?

How do Ismaili Nizari Muslims learn the inner (esoteric) meanings of Quran?

Is it practical to think of becoming an Ismaili if one doesn't live near a place of worship? How elaborate is the process for becoming Ismaili? Is it possible to learn what needs to be learned without being able to physically connect to the community?

Are there fatwas or an equivalent in your community?

Lastly, who is the best person to contact with questions that come up which feel to personal to post on a public forum?

Maybe the answers to these are already here on the forum and, if so, perhaps someone could help me out by giving me the links. I'm not having much luck finding it on my own. Insha'Allah, someone can help me.

Sister z
kmaherali

Re: Holy Dua

Post by kmaherali »

sisterzsalaam wrote:Could someone let me know how I can learn the Holy Dua in both English and Arabic? Is there a book or a person I can contact for that?
You will find the recitation of Dua at the Virtual Jamatkhana of this website at:
http://www.ismaili.net/heritage/Virtual-Jamatkhana

The entire Dua is discussed at:

Pages 32 - 43, http://tinyurl.com/5schz5
sisterzsalaam wrote: I would also like to get some suggestions of books to read to begin learning more about this branch of the Ismailis. Is there a bookseller which specializes in Ismaili books??
Go to:

Doctrines -- > Where To Start?

http://www.ismaili.net/html/modules.php ... by+khusraw
sisterzsalaam wrote: I know that women who are Nizari Muslims do not wear hijab. What is the view of the hijab within the community and if a woman chooses to wear one, would she be criticized
This issue has been discussed at:
Current Issues --> Hejab

http://www.ismaili.net/html/modules.php ... 75&start=0
sisterzsalaam wrote: How do Ismaili Nizari Muslims learn the inner (esoteric) meanings of Quran?
Through consulting the authoritative interpretations - tafsirs of Ismaili thinkers of the past and present.
sisterzsalaam wrote: Is it practical to think of becoming an Ismaili if one doesn't live near a place of worship? How elaborate is the process for becoming Ismaili? Is it possible to learn what needs to be learned without being able to physically connect to the community?
This has been discussed at:
Doctrines -> I need ur help

http://www.ismaili.net/html/modules.php ... sc&start=0

Doctrines -> Converts

http://www.ismaili.net/html/modules.php ... on+ismaili

Doctrines -> Taqiyya and Conversion

Customs and Traditions -> Converting to Ismaili

sisterzsalaam wrote: Are there fatwas or an equivalent in your community?

Lastly, who is the best person to contact with questions that come up which feel to personal to post on a public forum?
Sister z
There are no fatwas as such but we have Farmans from the Imam which are expected to be obeyed by each murid.

I hoe that helps....
agakhani

Post by agakhani »

Karim,

Code: Select all

There are no fatwas as such but we have Farmans from the Imam which are expected to be obeyed by each murid. 
Are you comparing 'FATWA" With "FARMAN"? can you elaborate little bit more about your above sentence? Fatwa is something which given by some 'AALEEM' and FATWA prohibit other muslim not to do that work, but if some muslim act against the fatwa then it consider against the fatwa which is also against the Islamic laws, while Farmans are given by Mowlana Hazar Imam for jamat religious and worldy guidance and all Ismailis should need to obey ( as far as they can) the Farmans.
In my opinion you can not compare farmans with fatwa, anybody can give fatwa who has little knowledge of Quran and Hadis, but farman are only given by MHI which has super Nurani power.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

agakhani wrote:Karim,

Are you comparing 'FATWA" With "FARMAN"? can you elaborate little bit more about your above sentence? Fatwa is something which given by some 'AALEEM' and FATWA prohibit other muslim not to do that work, but if some muslim act against the fatwa then it consider against the fatwa which is also against the Islamic laws, while Farmans are given by Mowlana Hazar Imam for jamat religious and worldy guidance and all Ismailis should need to obey ( as far as they can) the Farmans.
In my opinion you can not compare farmans with fatwa, anybody can give fatwa who has little knowledge of Quran and Hadis, but farman are only given by MHI which has super Nurani power.
The comparison is only with repsect to guidance on day to day matters. Both the fatwas and the Farmans relate to guidance on what one needs to do in our present circumstances. Of course there is no comparison with respect to the nature of authority contained in them. The fatwas derive their authority from the ulama who are considered as the 'learned' whereas the Farmans are based on the Noor.

However there are consequences for disobedience in both situations...
agakhani

Post by agakhani »

The comparison is only with repsect to guidance on day to day matters
I still not understand why you still compare fatwa with Farman!!
What is your reply about following strange "FATWA"
1, THE SUN IS REVOLVING AROUND THE EARTH!!!!!!!
2, WOMEN SHOULD NOT WORK IN THE PLACE WHERE OTHER MEN WORKS!!
3,JUST RIGHT TIME IN FOOTBALL SEASON, here is a fatwa FOR FOOTBALL PLAYERS, it was found in The Saudi newspaper "Al Watan" lampooned one very real edict setting out new rules for football. Ridiculous demands included “do not play with 11 people like the heretics, Jews, and Christians”, and “play in your pyjamas or regular clothes (because) colored shorts and numbered T-shirts are not Muslim clothing”.
4, POLIO VACCINE :-
Polio is actually increasing in India, Nigeria, Afghanistan and Pakistan. Why? Because an anti-polio fatwa by anti-Western clerics forbid Pakistani children from immunizations, because the clerics are saying the vaccine is a conspiracy to make Muslims sterile. Ironically, it’s the clerics’ plans that would produce this result, as dead/paralytic kids don’t breed all that much.
5, TELEVISION
Any true muslims should not watch television since it is anti-fatwa.
Do you need more starnage fatwas? consider these strange and humorous fatwas and think about the MHI' farmans? where you can not find any strange and humorous farmans

so you need to take back your words.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

agakhani wrote: Do you need more starnage fatwas? consider these strange and humorous fatwas and think about the MHI' farmans? where you can not find any strange and humorous farmans

so you need to take back your words.
My understanding of fatwas is that they are only applicable for their respective constituencies. Obviously a fatwa delievered in Iran or Egypt would not be effective in other parts of the world unless people themselves want to listen and follow them.

Nevertheless a fatwa is a command for those whom it is targetted at, it is not universally binding upon all Muslims. A Farman is only applicable to murids, it is not universally binding.
enzuru

Post by enzuru »

Feel free to speak with me. My email is helai@live.com. From historical, to theological, to apologetic issues, I should be of at least a little assistance. I'm also familiar with Ahl al-Sunnah, ithna'Ashariyya, and other Islamic groups in terms of their hadith corpus and legal and theological traditions.