Practices of Syria

Discussion on R&R from all regions
YaAliYaMowla

Practices of Syria

Post by YaAliYaMowla »

Ya Ali Madad,

First, my warm Mubaraki to all of those that are fortunate to have Khudavind's deedar this coming week.

A couple of questions: I have never been to Syria before and I am interested in their jamati practices, for those of our Syrian brothers and sisters on this forum, or those from other traditions who have visited and attended Jamatkhana in Syria, how different is the Arab tradition than our own (Satpaanth)? I know that our du'a is the same, what other practices do they have in their respective Jamatkhanas?

I hope no one takes me wrong for my question, I strongly value and appreciate any diversity and pluralism that exists in our Ismaili tariqah,

I only want to learn.

Also, we have seen little emigration of Syrians and also Iranians/Persians to Western Countries, (I myself am from Toronto, Canada), why is that? Is it mainly because of economic and financial limitations?

Thanks and YAM
Qizilbash

Post by Qizilbash »

Are there only Syrian Ismailis in the town of Salamiyya?
No_problem

Post by No_problem »

Ya Ali Madad,

Historically Ismailis lived in Salamieh since Dawr-e-Satr when our Imams Wafi Ahmad, Taqi Muhammad, Radhi aldin Abdullah and Muhammad Almahdi used to live in Salamieh. Since then, the Ismailis of Salmaieh moved to other areas of Syria due to various massacres they were subject to and also some deadly earthquakes that destroyed the city. Finally the majority of them settled in the Khawabi and Masyaf areas in western Syria.

In 1848, the Syrian Ismailis started to go back to Salamieh to rebuild it and emigrated in large numbers from other areas of Syria and Lebanon to Salamieh and the villages that they built around it.

The city of Salamieh today includes people from different religious backgrounds with a majority of Ismailis. The Syrian Ismailis also live in the villages near Salmaieh and also in Khawabi valley which is located near the Mediterranean cost. There are also Ismailis in all big cities in Syria.

Ya Ali Madad.
Qizilbash

Post by Qizilbash »

Ya Ali madad!

Thanks for the information. Very interesting.

So the Ismailis lived in Syria since the 8th century. What about Ismailism in Anatolia? Are there any sources, that proves the existence of Ismailis in Anatolia?
scorpion2009

Post by scorpion2009 »

<P>ya ali madad</P><P>i am from syria ( salamia )</P>
agakhani

Post by agakhani »

Brother scorpion,
YAM,
Give us some more detail about the Ismailis in Syria, How many are they? what about the daily prayer? are there any Jamat Khana( mosque) there in Syria? have any obstruction from the government or other peoples to practice our Ismaili faith?
From_Alamut

Post by From_Alamut »

YAM
I asked one of our Syria Shia Ismaili brother about the Jamat from Syria, his response was as I receive:

The Jamat here in Syria are about 120 thousands mainly in two areas Salamieh in the middle of Syria and Al Khwabi river area which is a coastal district.