AMIR TELLS OF HIS JOY

Biographies, Role Models etc...
jasmine

AMIR TELLS OF HIS JOY

Post by jasmine »

GAMES HERO AMIR TELLS OF HIS JOY Aug 30 2004

By Paul Byrne In Athens And Brian Roberts

HE may be one of boxing's youngest ever silver medallists with a glorious future ahead of him but yesterday teenage sensation Amir Khan told how he had more pressing things on his mind - homework.

The 17-year-old emerged from his heroic defeat to reigning Olympic and world lightweight champion Mario Kindelan with his head held high and his feet firmly on the ground.

But despite his fantastic achievement in Athens, Amir was more concerned about what his tutors back at the college where he is studying sports development would be thinking about him skipping homework to secure his place in history.

He said: "I'm going to be in trouble with my teachers because I've missed about six assignments.

"But that is because I have been training. I am sure they will think it is worth it when I get back.

"I am so happy. To get to the final in my first Olympics is just fantastic.

"Now I want to get home. It has been a long two weeks. I want to see all my friends and family.

"I've got to pass my driving test as well. There is a lot for me to do. I'm just going to stay as I am and keep my feet on the ground.

"It was a brilliant two weeks. I've done Great Britain proud and maybe at the next Olympics I'll get the gold medal.

"I was calm because I had nothing to lose. I knew I was up against an Olympic champion so I went and tried my best."

The modest Bolton boy was hoping to become the youngest Olympic boxing champion since Floyd Paterson won gold in 1952.

His proud family were in Athens to watch him take on 33-year-old Cuban Kindelan and Britons everywhere were glued to their TVs for the bout.

Amir lost by eight points to a man who had not been beaten for five years but his tough opponent had nothing but praise for his spirit and ability and predicted the Briton would lift gold at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing.

Kindelan said: "He is a tremendous fighter and if he does not turn professional I think he will reign over this weight category for a long time.'' Amir had been roared on by dad Shajaad, mum Falak, sisters Tabinda, 18, seven-year-old Mariyah and brother Haroon, 13, in the arena.

Falak, 39, said: "I am so proud of him." Shajaad, 43, added: "He is only 17 but he has done a man's job. He is not upset, he is not hurt."

Hundreds of British fans gave Amir a rousing reception as he received his silver medal.

The youngster said he was amazed by the support. He added: "There was about 10 people here for the first fight but for the final there was about 50. I don't know where they all came from. It was great support."

Back home hundreds of Amir's family and friends gathered at the Bolton Arena to watch the final. They have planned a massive welcome-home party when he arrives back this week.

His cousin Rabir Ghafoor said: "We are all so very proud of what he has done.

"He has made the whole world know about him and for someone his age to do that is remarkable.

"We have had calls from people all over the world wanting to congratulate Amir. It would have been great to win the gold but I am happy for him. We just can't wait to have him back home."

Another cousin, Lancashire cricketer Sajid Mahmood, 22, added: "Winning the silver medal at the age of 17 is a massive achievement for Amir.

"He missed out on the gold but he has still got years ahead of him to achieve that."

More than 40 friends from Bury Boxing Club where Amir trains watched the fight in a pub.

His sparring partner Mark Thompson, 23, said: "He came so close to getting the gold but you have to remember he was up against a guy who's the best in the world. He'll go on to become the best.

"Amir should be coming home in the next few days, he'll get a hero's welcome."

Britain's other Olympic stars, including sprinters Darren Campbell and Marlon Devonish, were in the Athens crowd to cheer the youngster on.

Amir said later: "It was fantastic. It gave me extra confidence and and extra push."
jasmine

Re: AMIR TELLS OF HIS JOY

Post by jasmine »

AMIR'S RING DATE

Aug 31 2004

EXCLUSIVE

By Mark Sutton

THE family of teenage boxing hero Amir Khan have picked him an arranged bride.

Relatives of the Olympic silver medallist say he has agreed to the traditional marriage after being shown a video of the 17-year-old girl from Pakistan.

The boxer, also 17, will discuss the proposed marriage with close family after celebrating his marvellous run.

I'M BACK: Amir shows his passport at Gatwick yesterday

A family member said: "It's a traditional thing. He's said he'll do it and it's been agreed but they don't know when."

The girl lives with her mother and sister in Rawalpindi, Pakistan.

Her family are close friends with Amir's parents. No wedding date has yet been fixed.

Amir's dad Shajaad and uncle Iftakhar helped select the girl and have proudly shown the home video to other family members.

The three-hour long footage was filmed at a wedding last year and sent to Amir's family in Bolton by the girl's mother three months ago.

The lightweight boxer's future bride is seen wearing a flowing yellow silk dress and headscarf.

A relative said: "Amir's father and brothers came over to Britain when they were quite young and remain quite traditional.

"Shajaad is probably the most traditional. It came as quite a shock to me - it was arranged by the older members of the family."

Many British Muslim teenagers allow family members and friends to help arrange their marriage.

Home Secretary David Blunkett sparked controversy two years ago by suggesting British Asians should not find a husband or wife abroad.

Hundreds of friends and well-wishers are expected to celebrate Amir's heroics at a party in Bolton this week.

He became one of boxing's youngest silver medallists and looked a future world-beater in his final bout with Cuba's world lightweight champion Mario Kindelan.
jasmine

Re: AMIR TELLS OF HIS JOY

Post by jasmine »

KHAN IS A SUPER TV STAR Sep 10 2004

By Cameron Robertson

AMIR Khan is to compete on TV's Superstars.

The 17-year-old boxer, who won Olympic silver in Athens, will fight it out in the multi-event contest.

His rivals include Athens gold medal winners in cyclists Bradley Wiggins and Chris Hoy, relay runner Marlon Devonish and rowers Ed Coode and Steve Williams.

Khan, the show's youngest ever competitor, said: "I'm really looking forward to it.

"I want to do better than the boxers who appeared last time and I'm confident I can do well.

"I'm also delighted so many of my Olympic team-mates will be there."

Denise Lewis, who won gold at the 2000 Sydney Olympics, will compete in the women's events.

The series, presented by Johnny Vaughan and Suzi Perry, will be filmed in the Spanish resort of La Manga this month and shown on BBC1 next year.

A new Masters contest will include past sports stars such as John Barnes and Jonathan Davies.