Mexican Ismailis

Discussion on doctrinal issues
farhanperez

Mexican Ismailis

Post by farhanperez »

Hola,

I think the Admin of this website is doing an excellent job and has plenty of information which is important for Ismailism. I would like Mexican Ismailis to please come forward and connect with myself and other fellow Ismailis from Latin America. We Mexican Ismailis are growing and need to connect to one another, share ideas, and help one another both spiritually and materially.

In Jamat Khane we see many instances of Ismaili brothers and sisters from Central Asia, from South Asia, who may speak Gujarati or Farsi, but I would like to bring attention to the fact that there is a growing number of Ismailis who speak Spanish and English and they would like to bond with one another.

If you are an Ismaili from Mexico, Latin America, or even Latino born in another country such as the US, UK, or Canada, please connect with myself and other brothers and sisters who want you to feel like there is someone to voice your concerns with.

I have heard that there are Chinese Ismailis, Russian Ismailis, and other racial groups from many countries who want to bond with each other and now we should take that opportunity.

As a Mexican Ismaili, who was born a Christian, I now have deep faith in Hazer Imam, and I love the philosophy of Ismailism because it is based on a very reasonable and sound doctrine. I feel it is sad, based on my own experience, that we are not doing enough to support Ismailis from other parts of the world; especially those who are in a racial minority.

We would love to hear from you. Please share your personal concerns about doctrine, about any matters you are facing, and together we can grow and learn from one another.

Farhan Perez
Admin

Post by Admin »

I know there are Spanish Ismailis in Madrid and also Montreal [Canada]. Maybe they also can connect with you. In fact the Spanish Ismaili in Montreal did translate the Dua in Spanish in 1980s'

Admin
agakhani

Post by agakhani »

Hola,
Kepaso Amigo,
It is good to know that there are some Ismailis in Mexico, Madrid and Latin America, till today I was not aware about these Ismailis. It seems that Ismailis are spreading all over the world and may be one of day there will be Ismailis in each and every countries on this earth.
Some one asked SMS that, where are your Ismailis living? SMS replied him every where except the Hell.
Its really impressed me that our Dua has been translated in Spanish language in 1980,
Qudos you Mexican Ismailis, our arms are open to welcome you and we are ready to acquaintance each other as a brother and sisters and our MHI also insist us to do this.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

I am told that when Prince Alykhan arrived in Buenos Aires as the Ambassador of Pakistan, he was welcomed by a large crowd of Ismailis there. I believe there are Ismailis in Venezuela who migrated from Syria.
Admin

Post by Admin »

From time to time we do receive queries from Ismailis of Syrian origins from Brazil [in South America - most of South America speaks Spanish except for one country which is Portuguese based]
ShamsB

Post by ShamsB »

kmaherali wrote:I am told that when Prince Alykhan arrived in Buenos Aires as the Ambassador of Pakistan, he was welcomed by a large crowd of Ismailis there. I believe there are Ismailis in Venezuela who migrated from Syria.
There are many ismailies of Syrian/Lebanese origin in Venezuela, Brazil and Argentina.

Shams
farhanperez

Mexican Ismailis

Post by farhanperez »

Hola Amigos,

Gracias por escribirme. Thank you very much for all your wonderful replies. Now most of you mentioned some key points. You mentioned Venezuela, Montreal, Buenos Aires, and Madrid. That is an excellent start.

If you are an Ismaili living in any of these locations please join ismaili.net and contribute your knowledge and experience with your brothers and sisters. As you can see we all accept you with open arms.

As a Mexican Ismaili, our history does not include many of the key figures presented in some histories of the Central Asian or South Asian Jamat. But we respect your traditions with utmost sincerity.

Our tradition goes back to Jesus and Pedro, and we have spent many generations under the Catholic doctrine. Pir Sadardin mentioned Pedro in the old dua and we are in agreement with that lineage.

Mexicans, for the most part, are very passionate about religion and so we would like more Mexican Ismailis, or Ismailis from Spain, and Latin America to come forward and bond with us.

Now it is very important to mention that when I speak of Mexican Ismailis, Latin American Ismailis, or Ismailis from Spain, I am not referring to South Asians living or born in Spanish speaking countries. I'm not referring to Indian or Central Asian Jamats speaking Spanish. I'm talking about ethnic, racial, and native Mexican, Latinos, or Spaniards.

This is very important to note, because there are a lot of South Asian Ismailis, namely Khojas, who live or work in Portugal or Latin American countries and therefore we assume that those Ismailis are Spanish or Latino by race; whereas that is not the case. Khoja Ismailis born or living in Spain are not the same as ethnic Spaniards who are Ismailis.

When Hazer Imam went to Portugal for a visit to the Jamat, a person who watched the video can see him enjoying entertainment by those who were "supposed" to represent the Portugal Jamat. However what was sad was that hardly anybody in that entire entertainment group was racially Portuguese. What we had was Khojas who were living in Portugal, Central Asians who came from Canada, who posed as Portuguese entertainers. Most of the entertainment was also done in English and Hindi.

Even more, many individuals say that there are many Ismailis in Portugal, but these are mostly Indian Ismailis either working or born in that country, but they are not racially Portuguese. Ethnic Portuguese means they are converts to the faith and “look” Portuguese.

When I speak of Mexican, Latino, or Spaniard Ismailis, I am specifically referring to racially born individuals from the above countries. We need more racial diversity in the Jamat. We need to see white, black, Chinese, Latino, blond, red head, green eyed, blue eyed, Jamaicans, Greeks, Irish, Scottish, Turkish, Japanese, and many such individuals as Ismailis.

I love my brothers and sisters from Central Asia and South Asia. But what I am trying to encourage is more pluralism in our Jamat. More races need to be represented. That is what makes the Jamat truly plural. As I mentioned before, we have many Chinese and Russian Jamats. We need them to be represented racially in our fold. This is very important for the future of our faith.

Farhan Perez
Biryani

Post by Biryani »

Hey amigo, are you sure you didn’t just forget v between r and e in your last name, like Pervez…or you’re really an amigo?

Anyways, I’ve been to Durango, Mexico once, about 10 years ago… with a relative who is in some mining business down there…I was hoping to find someone like Salma Hayak …but man, that place was so dead…I guess, I should’ve looked around Cancun…eh?
change786

ya ali madad

Post by change786 »

are they are any jamat khanas in south america or russia . thank you .
surani11

Post by surani11 »

hi my name is Samantha and i am mexican and i want to convert to ismaili can anyone help me?
farhanperez

Hola Samantha

Post by farhanperez »

Hola Samantha! Como esta usted? Para que todos entiendan voy a escribir en Ingles.

For the sake of the others reading this post, I just mentioned to Samantha that I will continue in English rather than Spanish so that most people can follow the post.

Bueno, Samantha, I think it is important for you to realize that Ismailism, and Islam in general, supports the concept of questioning the faith. I would encourage you, therefore, to start with any questions you may have. There are a lot of intelligent individuals on this board, many do not speak Spanish like you and I, and many who are not Mexican, but they have a good knowledge base. I would take everybody's opinion equally.

I do have to warn you that sometimes individuals do have positive things to say and also negative things to say. Try to understand the faith from those who genuinely adore the doctrine.

I would encourage you to ask some questions on this board and give us some background information as to what prompted you to join the faith. Once again, I am warning you about certain individuals who take special pleasure in discouraging you from joining the faith. They feel that they have been specially commissioned by God to ensure that Ismailism doesn't become full of different races.

I converted to the faith because I felt that the Aga Khan was my personal saviour. That is the whole reason I'm in the faith. I don't personally care much about the extras of religion. I'm not religious. But I adore the Aga Khan as the only Deity in my life.

Being from Mexico and being a Mexican Ismaili will be somewhat challenging because quite frankly there aren't many of us. But it is important not to be discouraged. Keep asking myself or other more intelligent individuals on this board who can give you their understanding, their perspective.

Good Luck!

Farhan Perez
Biryani

Post by Biryani »

If I may suggest…I think one of the best way to know more about any religion or anything is to read reputable and recognized books about it…from different sources. Also communicate or approach to people in person if possible or other private settings like emails, who are some sort of authority or specialized in it rather than just solely depending on blogging with people online…as there might be a chance of getting misinformation or misdirected there. Keep an open and unbiased mind with love to search for the truth…and Almighty will help.

Farhan… aren’t you proud to have Mexican blood in you…have you seen the movie Blood Works? The famous dialogue was: “Just because you’ve got a Mexican heart doesn’t mean you’re one of us!” ;-)
surani11

Post by surani11 »

I am good thank you and also thank you for your insight on ismailism. It's good to know that there are more people like us.

Well firstly I want to convert to ismaili because I want to be fully devoted to my future husband. He is ismaili and I think it is a great religion and I want to respect his culture and be fully committed to him and his family.

I don't really know where to start so if you can give me a basic guideline or steps that you took I would be greatly thankfull.
Ibrokhim

Re: Mexican Ismailis

Post by Ibrokhim »

YAM! Farhan Perez with big impression I awared of Latin Ismailis for the first time but with big lateness, but as in one Russian proverb says "Better late than never!" I am from Central Asia. I would like to know more about Latin Ismailis. In which countries of South America are there Jamaatkhanas? Why about Latin Ismailis less information during these period of development oftechnologies? I believe that not only I awared about Ismailis of South America but majoity Ismailis do not know about them till now. Dear Farhan if have email address, could you send it to me on my email please? my email is: rasim_i@yahoo.com.
Regards
Ibrokhim

Re: Mexican Ismailis

Post by Ibrokhim »

Hola Dear Surani!
I read you comment, and it seems to me very interesting that you want to convert to Ismaili. I understand that you want devote you life to your future husband who is Ismaili and I respect your choice. I am from one Central Asian country - Tajikistan where live more than 100 000 ismailis. I am Ismaili too. We have good Ismaili community. Also there 5 Ismaili Centres in the world. and if you know one them is in the capital of country. I really want to help you but I think it is a little bit hard for me to explain and guide you about some steps through this forum. In my opinion it would be better if we would contact by email or by online chatting on Skype. My email is: rasim_i@yahoo.com And my Skype is: rasim.ibrahimov If you want we will discuss about this process by email or online chatting. Thanks !
Regards,
RASIM