ismaili or not?

Biographies, Role Models etc...
star_munir

ismaili or not?

Post by star_munir »

Is it true that founder of Pakistan Quaid-e-azam Mohammad Ali Jinnah was ismaili ? or he was isnashari?
Asif786

Re: ismaili or not?

Post by Asif786 »

star_munir wrote:Is it true that founder of Pakistan Quaid-e-azam Mohammad Ali Jinnah was ismaili ? or he was isnashari?
<BR><BR>Ya Ali Madad all<BR><BR>in answer to your question yes Qaid-e-Azam was an &nbsp;Ismaili <BR>a lawyer educated in England he defended many Ismailis who <BR>were wrongfully charged with crimes
oreo786

uhh

Post by oreo786 »

<P>what do isnasharis believe in like we belive in hazir imam what about them?</P>
kmaherali

Re: uhh

Post by kmaherali »

oreo786 wrote:<P>what do isnasharis believe in like we belive in hazir imam what about them?</P>
Ithna asharias means twelver Shias. They believe in twelve Imams, the last one being in hiding and will appear sometime as a Mahdi ( the guided one) who will deliver them at the end of time from evil and restore righteousness.
Taufiq

Post by Taufiq »

jinnah renounced ismailism and even allegedly tried to convince Sultan Mohamed Shah to do the same! (Just a rumor). he was born ismailii, though.
nagib

Post by nagib »

oreo786 wrote:what do isnasharis believe in like we belive in hazir imam what about them?
One Ithnashri define this subject as follow, he said "For we Ithnashris, our Imam is hidden but we live and behave like if he was present. For you Ismailis, your Imam is present but you live and behave as if he was hidden."

Now I am not saying this, this was said by some Ithnashris. As far as I am concerned, I try to behave as if Imam is present though sometime our own people pressure us to believe he is hidden - But we know where to find him right ;-)

Nagib
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

nagib wrote: One Ithnashri define this subject as follow, he said "For we Ithnashris, our Imam is hidden but we live and behave like if he was present. For you Ismailis, your Imam is present but you live and behave as if he was hidden."

Nagib
No wonder an Ithnashri was 'chosen' to write about "The Silent Prince Of Islam"!

For more information on it you may want to go to

Anecdotes -> The Silent Prince of Islam
unnalhaq

Re: ismaili or not? or may be Separation of Church and State

Post by unnalhaq »

star_munir wrote:Is it true that founder of Pakistan Quaid-e-azam Mohammad Ali Jinnah was ismaili ? or he was isnashari?
He was an Ismaili. But there are many views on his public conversion.
One that is partly true is that when his wife (who was not Ismaili) passed away and he (Jinnah) was refused the interment for his wife on the Ismaili burial grounds (I am not sure if it was Sakhi-Hassan-the present day Ismaili cemetery in Karachi). And that was way he reverted to 12vers.
There are also less known saying is that the 48th Imam had asked him to announce that in public so there is no question about his allegiances to the country. I think this is to be more probable. If you read some of the Present Imam’s interviews as to why the seat of Imamet (or secretariat) was moved (in the time of SMS) to Geneva and then to Gouvieux, France aka Aiglemont instead of India(in the time of 47th Imam). You can faintly see this.
Last edited by unnalhaq on Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
star_munir

Post by star_munir »

Thank you very much.
unnalhaq

Post by unnalhaq »

star_munir wrote:Thank you very much.
You are most welcome!
star_munir

Post by star_munir »

As it is commonly said Jinnah was khoja Ismaili but later converted into twelver. Some people think that he did so, for the cause of Pakistan Movement.

But When Jinnah got married with Ratan, the daughter of Sir Dinsha Petit, at that time also Jinnah was twelver. Jinnah and Ratan got married on 19 April 1918. Before marriage, Ratan had accepted Islam. Their marriage certificate shows the religion of Jinnah as "Khoja Isnaashari" or twelver Shia. Now this was the time period, when there were not much problems between hindus and muslims. There was not any concept or idea of separate country for muslims. The struggle for partition started much later. Infact during that time period, Jinnah was working hard for Hindu Muslim unity.

Jinnah's wife Rattan died in Feb 1929 (this was the time period when conflicts btw muslim league and congress were evident due to Nehru Report) Ratan was burried in "Khoja Isnaashari Cemetery" in Bombay. Still one can visit her tomb in Mumbai.

So this shows that Jinnah was twelver.
Nevertheless, he was great as leader. Imam Sultan Mohamed Shah had praised him in His speech and in Memoirs of Aga Khan.
Last edited by star_munir on Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emachines786

@star munir

Post by emachines786 »

Guys jinnah was ismaili and remained ismaili till death. He never converted to Sunni or Itnasheri shia. If you read miss fatima Jinnah book '' My brother Jinnah" She clearly instate in there that jinnah was shia ismaili muslim but he wasn't a practicing Muslim. Yes his namaz Janazah was done by a shia alim but even if sunni alim would have done that no would stop him as he was a national leader not a leader of any particular sect. Even our present Imam son Nikkah was done by a Shia itnasheri alim that doesnt mean prince hussain is shia itnasheri or Imam sultan muhammad shah has said namaz behind sunnis Imams that doesnt mean our Imam was sunni. unlike other sects of Islam we dont make issue out of these small stuff we are open to every one thats what ismailism is all about.
agakhani

Post by agakhani »

It seems that he was an ismaili and he remained in Ismaili sect till his death, I heard this truth from a waez of Rai Abu Ali too.
Whether he converted himself in Twelver, Sunny or remain Ismaili sect, i he was not 100% true Muslim according many authors, I read many articles and many books on him written by Pakistani and foreigner authors, the followings are untold or unheard facts about Jinnah.
-He didn't know much about Islam or Quran because once a judge asked him for translation of one Quranic ayat in court he didn't know the meaning of that ayats and you know what? one Hindu lawyer made the translation of that ayats!!!.
-He was eating pork, drink wine, smoke which are prohibited in Islam.
-After become popular political leader he never went any mosque or Masjid to pray almighty Allah.
-Once he refused to meet Mowlana Sulatan Mohammad Shah, when Mowla asked for a meeting for a Muslim league.
-He had fond of clothes (specially suit) even his last day he wear suit.
-he was arrogant and had proud about his profession and always think himself superior to anyone else.
-He was not fluent in Urdu, so most of his political lecture were in English.
-Even he knew Gujarati language very well, but he hardly speak it he always hesitate to speak or write in Gujarati once he refused to speak in Gujarati with Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, even Gandhi was talking in Gujarati first and requested him to speak same language (Gujarati) but he didn't FYI:- their ancestors were same place Saurashtra/Kathiawad same geographical area in Gujarat where Gujarati is the main language.
-His father name was 'ZINABHAI" but he never liked this name ,so he changed it in 'JINNAH" and adopted it as his last/sur name.
After all he was founder of Pakistan a Muslim country, therefore we should always respect him whether he was an Ismaili or not.
Be honest with you, I don't have any thing against him I respect him as I respect Gandhi.
star_munir

Post by star_munir »

Stanley Wolpert has mentioned that he used to eat pork earlier time
As far as his knowledge on Quran is concerned...I dont know much about it. But during those time, many people had less understanding on it. However he recommended people to follow the principles of Quran after creation of Pakistan. Also, he recommended Urdu to be the national language of Pakistan. He was fond of new and fashionable dresses and was famous for that in his youth. However, he led simple life after he become governor general of Pakistan. I did know abt what he felt for Gujarati language but I have read that during his last time, he had talk with his sister Fatima in Gujarati language.