how should we dress for funerals?

Discussion on R&R from all regions
sereya

how should we dress for funerals?

Post by sereya »

I would like to know what the dress code for ladies should be at funerals?
I was always told by my mum that one should cover their head when the body is present as it is a sign of respect to the angels pressent.
What are thoughts on this?
Rizwana_Fazal

Post by Rizwana_Fazal »

Heyy, i know you posted this ages ago, but thort i would post a reply. my mother always said that aslong as you were covered and showed no part of your body it was acceptable, i always wear salwar kameez for funerals, but light colours such as peach, cream, are always respectfull.
shiraz.virani

Post by shiraz.virani »

I would like to know what the dress code for ladies should be at funerals?
I was always told by my mum that one should cover their head when the body is present as it is a sign of respect to the angels pressent.
What are thoughts on this?

just wear simple clothes sister....as simple as that !
somebody has died ! you're going in a funeral not marriage or birthday party so just wear simple clothes.

if you're dazzling with jewelry and if you wanna attend the funeral, just remove your fancy jewelry ,put it in you bag and go and attend the funeral....thats called ADHAB...and always remember that you attend funeral not to please angels but to ask forgiveness to allah[swt] for the person/soul who passed away.

covering you head is again upto you....read quran , it talks about angels bowing in from of adam[as] = human, but in todays world we even leave AZAZIL= satan behind, so if you are wearing it out of respect , its upto you

hope i answered you question
AsadALLAH

Post by AsadALLAH »

Don't wear Black. I was told by my Father not to wear Black to the Funerals and to Jamat Khana's.
zina.khan

Post by zina.khan »

We do not forsake legitimate comforts and pleasures of life unduly.

In the same token, the habit of dressing in an indecent way, not only, tends to form bad habits and evil thinking but also, creates evil
vibrations among those who see or meet the wearer.

Such a person is,of course, committing a sin.

Our Holy Prophet has condemned such a person, particularly a woman, who provokes men by her indecent clothes and behaviour.

Allah commands: "And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and be modest, and to display of their adornment only that
which is apparent, and to draw their veils over their bosoms and not
to reveal their adornment save to their own husbands...." ( HQ.24:31

The play is on the word "apparent" and so one finds differing viewpoints on the extent of where a line needs to be drawn, rather than on the premise itself, of being decently dressed and which I think may not be a matter of contention.

"Keep your clothes clean and avoid uncleanness." (HQ.74:3,4)

Attire to be worn ought to be compatible with the practice of our faith in an atmosphere of calm and serenity.

The aforementioned matters are universal and binding principles of Islam and must be followed by all Muslims, for indeed these principles were established by Prophet himself."

I believe that colourful clothing, in a simple and decent manner,are
allowed in Islam.

But I think the Holy Prophet has forbidden Muslims to wear
the clothes dyed with a bark known as Kusm ... in Arabic. Kusm is
boiled in water in an iron pot until the water turns deep black

Then the clothes are put in this water and kept boiling till the required
colour appears on the clothes.

In India a bark known as gali or gardi is used for this
purpose.

In olden days, there was no other proper dye, except gali, to
dye garments black.

"O dear! Cast off clothes (dyed) with gali; Do not go to the place of
worship dressed in such clothes. The angels avoid such people,Therefore, my brother discard clothes of gali."

Abdullah bin Omru Aass has reported that he was wearing clothes dyed
in the kusm bark and went to see the Holy Prophet who told him to shun
such clothes as that was the colour of kafireen.

The Holy Prophet ordered him to go and burn them. (Mishkaat, No.4111).

Black is the colour of mourning, of condolence, of sadness.

Sufis and spiritual people abhor black colour because it is the colour of
sadness, depression and despondency.

Science of colour involves physics, physiology and psychology.

Colour has been used for decorative purposes since prehistoric times.

The sun's light contains all basic colours: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and violet. Not black because it is opposite of light.

All colours, and their combinations, have their individual wavelength
in a spectrum of light affecting the eye and eye sight which, in turn,
imprints its effect and cause on the mind.

Therefore, the colours worn by people have subtle effect on their psychology and behaviour...

White represents light. It is the colour of purity, piety and grace, a symbol of cleanness.

Aura, the magnetism or essence which emanates from all living things, has its colours depicting the condition and characteristic of mind. Muddy or
black aura is the sign of weakness or disease or death.

Black is the colour of death and mourning.

The orthodox Christians, clad in black clothes, mourn for the crucifixion of Jesus, during Easter.

Orthodox Sanatani Hindus mourn their elders during the three days period of Sharad but they do not wear black clothes; instead they wrap their idols in black cloth or paint them black.

The idol of Bhawani, a dreaded deity, is always painted black.

So I personally would wear white instead and not black....