kamauddin missionary and Ginans

Discussion on ginan meanings, history etc..
mikhael

question

Post by mikhael »

Sirs - One of the facets of the Ismailiyya doctrine and mission that immediately impressed me several years ago is its universality. Unlike its progenitors in religion, the determined nature of authorised Ismailiyya doctrine has always been rigorously guarded while allowing approach from various perspectives, backgrounds and sensitivities. The diversity of religious practice and interpretation within the community attests to this fact.

Therefore, I find it hard to digest that any approach to the teaching of the Doctrine - whether from a Hindu or Hellenistic or a Daoist perspective - would be admonished by your councils or Imam. The Aga Khan in particular appears to be the premier proponent of such diversity of approach and its role in fostering universal and contextual understanding.

Have I missed something in my readings and research about the fluid tradition of this community or are some of you presenting canards? If so, why?
nagib

Post by nagib »

"The Imam must direct Ismailis on the practice of their religion and constantly interpret the Qur'an for them according to our theology. On the spiritual plane, the Imam's authority is absolute. Ismailis believe therefore that what the Imam says is the only true interpretation possible." [Interview] March 1975

-- Aga Khan IV