Memorabilia

Jubilee Projects by Imamat Institutions
nazir.walji

Memorabilia

Post by nazir.walji »

The Golden Jubilee has produced a number of official memorabilia items and some unofficial.  I am a collector of Ismaili memorabilia and I am interested in trading with other members of the forum who are also collectors. Presently, I am collecting program booklets, padrahmani passes, etc from the various visits Hazar Imam has made in this Golden Jubilee year. In addition I collect lsmaili Volunteer Corp badges, caps, ties etc. If you are interested in contacting me please contact me via this forum. I am hoping there are enough members interested so that we can form an Ismaili collectors club. Keep collecting.
Admin

Post by Admin »

New Golden Jubilee stamps have been issued for Idd last week in Uganda

Admin

Post by Admin »

Posta launches new Aga Khan stamps
Grace Natabaalo

Kampala

Eight new stamps featuring various development projects of the Aga Khan in Uganda have been issued by Posta Uganda. The stamps, which commemorate the Golden Jubilee of the Aga Khan, were launched on Wednesday during celebrations to mark the World Post Day at the Posta office in Kampala.

The Aga khan Development Network (AKDN) is a network of institutions founded and led by Prince Karim Aga Khan, which collaborate with the governments and other organisation, towards improving living conditions and opportunities for people in some of the poorest parts of the developing world like Uganda.

According to the Chairperson of the board of directors of Posta Uganda, Ms Proscovia Njuki, the stamps are a way of disseminating information.

"Organisations have realised the important role Posta can play in the dissemination of information through postage stamps and that is why the AKDN has chosen to partner with us," she said.
Speaking at the launch of the stamps, the AKDN resident representative, Mr Mahmood Ahmed, said the stamps capture some of the initiatives of His Highness in Uganda over the 50-year period from 1957 to 2007.

"Some of these initiatives, like the establishment of the Jubilee Insurance Company and Diamond Trust Bank, have their roots even further back, to the work by the previous Aga Khan, Sir Sultan Mohamed Shah," Mr Mahmood said.

Other projects depicted on the stamps include Kampala Serena Hotel, the ongoing Bujagali Hydro Power Project, the Madrasa Programme, Air Uganda, Aga Khan Education Services and the Ismaili Jamat Khana a symbol of the Shia Muslims in Uganda situated at Old Kampala.

"In capturing the images of these various economic and social developmental initiatives, the stamps tell a story- and that is of a long-lasting, deep and expanding commitment on the part of His Highness to Uganda," Mr Mahmood added.

Mr Mahmood said other countries like Kenya and Tanzania will also be issuing commemorative stamps for the Aga Khan. To mark the World Post Day, Ms Njuki said Posta Uganda is now embarking on an aggressive reform process, which will embrace new technologies such as automation of counter services and setting up electronic funds transfer systems.
http://www.monitor.co.ug/artman/publish ... 2869.shtml
nothing yet on post's site
http://www.ugapost.co.ug/stamps_display.htm
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Posta forms partnership with Aga Khan
Monday, 13th October, 2008 E-mail article Print article

By Juliet Waiswa

AS part of activities to mark the World Post Day, Posta has launched a partnership with Aga Khan Development Network.

During the launch of the partnership, the managing director of Posta, James Arinaitwe, said: “We have partnerships with other companies, but this new partnership with Aga Khan will bring us closer to the communities.”

Posta’s board chairperson, engineer Proscovia Njuki, said that in recognition of its unique characteristics, Posta had developed strategic partnerships with a number of groups and organisations.

Njuki said Posta plays an important role in the dissemination of information through postage stamps.

She said Posta had introduced new products, extended its services and renovated over 30 post offices.

Posta also unveiled eight stamps of the Aga Khan Development Foundation as part of activities to mark the Golden Jubilee of His Highness the Aga Khan. The foundation’s resident representative, Mahmood Ahmed, was present.

http://www.newvision.co.ug/D/8/220/654403
Khaliya

Ya Ali Madad

Post by Khaliya »

I too have been collecting several memorabilia items. I attend the Ismaili Centre in London, but unfortunately, I have not been able to find and purchase the stamps, Golden Jubilee Shawl, Gatpaat Set, or the Golden Jubilee USA Geet Album (by Fez Meghani).

If anyone has information please let me know.

Also if anyone is in a position to send me any of these items to either a USA or UK address, whichever is easier (I will pay in full including shipping and handling) please also post your email address so that I might be able to correspond directly. Thanks and Ya Ali Madad.

-Khaliya
alu77

Re: Ya Ali Madad

Post by alu77 »

YA ALI MADAD.
Did you get any reply about the memorabilia items. I have not been able to find and purchase the Gatpaat Set and the Ayat display.
If you have any information please let me know. I reside in USA
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

New stamps in honour of The Aga Khan

By JOHN MUCHIRIPosted Saturday, December 13 2008 at 22:26

The Postal Corporation of Kenya on Saturday launched four new stamps to mark His Highness the Aga Khan’s Golden Jubilee.

The launch, done in conjunction with the Aga Khan Council for Kenya and the Aga Khan Development Network, coincided with the peak of celebrations marking 50 years of The Aga Khan’s spiritual leadership of the Ismailia community.

The stamps commemorate the various works he has initiated in Kenya and depict key projects that the Aga Khan Development Network is associated with in the country, said Mr Fred Odhiambo, the Postmaster General.

“PCK is proud to have been given the opportunity to spread the message on the contributions of the Aga Khan Development Network through these stamps,” said Mr Odhiambo, during the launch at Nairobi Serena Hotel.

The vice president of the Aga Khan Council for Kenya, Mr Anwaz Hajee, said the anniversary also coincided with His Highness the Aga Khan’s birthday. “It’s a special honour that today, we are launching a series of four commemorative stamps to recognise this historic year,” said Mr Hajee.

The four stamps will retail at Sh25, Sh65, Sh75 and Sh95.

“They are now available in our post offices countrywide for use in postage and for collection by lovers of philately,” said Mr Odhiambo.

The stamps have different themes, ranging from education, medical care, poverty alleviation and child development.

http://www.nation.co.ke/News/-/1056/501908/-/u0l6ac/-/
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Sideline: In Ottawa, Magnificent Stamp Exhibition Kindles Memories of the Aga Khan’s Golden Jubilee Celebrations
Past Stamp Collectors Get Nostalgic, As They Are Awed by Tribute to their Imam

The Aga Khan's Golden Jubilee Commemmorative Stamps on display in Ottawa, Canada
http://simerg.com/sidelines/sideline-in ... ebrations/

A collection of several dozen stamps and first day covers from seven different countries went on display at the Ismaili Jamatkhana Social Hall in Ottawa, Canada, on Thursday May 28th, 2009, to bring even more awareness about the Golden Jubilee Tributes that were bestowed on His Highness the Aga Khan during his Golden Jubilee celebrations. His Jubilee celebrations were held from July 11, 2007 until December 13, 2008. Portugal was the first country to issue stamps in July 2007 and Kenya published the last series of stamps in December 2008. Bangladesh, India, Tanzania, Uganda and Mozambique were the other countries which produced special commemorative postage stamps and first day covers to mark the Aga Khan’s Golden Jubilee as well as pay him tributes for his tremendous contribution for their countries’ social and economical well being and progress.

Since the commencement of the Golden Jubilee of His Highness the Aga Khan, the Ottawa library has had a standing order for stamps from Mr. Abdul Mamdani, a Toronto based Ismaili stamp collector and supplier who has had an abiding interest in this field for several decades. This past week saw the arrival of the last batch of stamps from him, and the library proceeded to have the stamps mounted for display on three frames by one of Ottawa’s leading framers, Malen Framing. “Magnificent”, “Excellent Display” and “Very Professional Looking” were some of the comments made by some forty viewers who were on hand on the opening day to see an entire collection of stamps on one frame and sets of first day covers on two more frames. Hundreds more are expected to view the exhibition on the remaining three days, after which the exhibits will feature permanently in the library room.

The Aga Khan's Golden Jubilee - Commemorative First Day Covers

The Aga Khan's Golden Jubilee - More First Day Covers

Viewers on the opening day were astonished to see the variety of stamps and first day covers that were published in brilliant colours and sizes. The Aga Khan’s Imamat initiatives in areas as diverse as tourism, health, education, Ismaili Jamatkhanas, the East African Madrasa programs, architectural restoration projects, rural support programs and micro financing are depicted on many of the beautiful stamps.

Country Stamp Features
Uganda A set of eight stamps issued on 30th September, 2008 with the following designs:
1) Madrasa Programme; 2) The Ismaili Jamatkhana, Kampala; 3) Aga Khan Education Services; 4) Air Uganda; 5) Bujagali Hydropower Project; 6) Kampala Serena Hotel; 7) Jubilee Insurance Company; Diamond Trust Building
Kenya A set of four stamps issued on 13th December, 2008 with the following designs:
1) Madrasa Programme; 2) Coastal Rural Support Programme; 3) Aga Khan Academy, Mombasa; 4) Aga Khan University Hospital, Nairobi
Portugal A set of two stamps issued on 11th July, 2007. The designs consist of 2 different views of the Ismaili Centre in Lisbon
Tanzania A set of 4 stamps, a souvenir sheets of 4 stamps and a sheetlet of 1 stamp – issued on 18th August, 2007.
Designs on the set of 4 stamps:
1) Zanzibar Madrasa Resource Centre; 2) Aga Khan Hospital, Dar es Salaam; 3) Lake Manyara Serena Safari Lodge; 4) Zanzibar Serena InnDesigns on souvenir sheet of 4:
1 & 2) Stone Town Cultural Centre, Zanzibar; 3 & 4) The Aga Khan Hospital, Dar es Salaam
Design on sheetlet of 1 stamp: Zanzibar Madrasa Resource Centre.
Mozambique A set of 5 stamps issued on 21st November, 2007 with the follwoing designs:
1) Ismaili Centre, described as: “His Highness Aga Khan Building”; 2) Micro Finance Programme; 3) Rural Development; 4) Polana Serena Hotel; 5) Bridges for the Future
Bangladesh A set of 4 stamps issued on 16th September, 2008, with identical design – but in different colours – “Celebrating 50 Years” in a circle of fifty crescents.
India A pair of stamps and a souvenir sheet issued on 17th May, 2008. Subjects:
1) Heritage Restoration 2) Social Commitment

Some elder visitors to the stamp exhibition, who were once upon a time avid stamp collectors, recollected their childhood memories when they would seek out envelopes from foreign countries, carefully peel off the stamps – sometimes soaking the envelopes in water to ease their removal - and store the stamps in their stamp albums.

Whilst stamps related to the Ismaili Imamat, such as marking the birth centenary of the late Aga Khan III in 1977 issued in Pakistan, and the Aga Khan Award for Architecture have been published before, the interesting variety of the Golden Jubilee Stamps produced in a span of 18 months might just revitalize the stamp collecting hobby which, to many people’s dismay, has been in decline since the advent of the internet and the age of emails. This is perhaps one area, along with reading, coin collection and other similar interests that can infuse children with some great hobbies for the future.

To view a sample of stamps and first day covers in PDF format, please click:
A Selection of Golden Jubilee Stamps
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Nice video:
Golden Jubilee Memories, by Riaz Karimi and Noman Surani, from Hyderabad Sindh

ismailimail.wordpress.com/2009/09/06/golden-jubilee-memories-by-riaz-karimi-and-noman-surani-from-hyderabad-sindh/