prince amyn mohammad [ brother of our holy imam ]

Current issues, news and ethics
shiraz.virani

prince amyn mohammad [ brother of our holy imam ]

Post by shiraz.virani »

just wanted to know if prince shujahuddin amyn mohammad al-hussaini[brother of our holy imam] is married or not

thank you

ya ali madad
Biryani

Post by Biryani »

I don’t think that He ever got married, but despite His celebrity status in multiple domains of fame, marriage could still be a very personal and discreet matter for some people.
Last edited by Biryani on Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KhojaIsmaili

Post by KhojaIsmaili »

Is Princess Yasmin (Hazar Imam's sister) married? Does she have any children?
Biryani

Post by Biryani »

In 1985, Princess Yasmin Aga Khan married her first husband, economist and Greek shipping heir Basil Embiricos, by whom she has a son, Andrew Ali Aga Khan Embiricos. They were divorced in 1987.

In 1989, she married her second husband, lawyer and real-estate developer Christopher Michael Jeffries. They were divorced in 1993.
shiraz.virani

Post by shiraz.virani »

the reason why i asked this question is because i was reading memoirs of aga khan in which imam sultan muhammad shah [as] said :

A man who does not marry, who refuses to shoulder the responsibilities of fatherhood, of building up a home and raising a family through marriage, is severely condemned.

i was completely startled by the above lines and believe me it caused me a lot of pain when i started debating with myself that why dont prince amyn wanna carry a family burden ??

i even asked my father about this but he said that there might be a reason behind this. Does anybody know the reason behind this ???
Biryani

Post by Biryani »

may be He is just too picky and hasn't found Ms. Right yet...

It does not surprise me about what Aga khan III said about marriage or raising a family and one of His grandsons not getting married yet...He might be in a relationship with someone right now and might get married later on or something...well, I know he is kinda getting old. He could simply be just too busy for it...and don’t you think that there might be an ability factor in part of man involved in the interpretation of what He said…as like, a man should always do this if he can successfully fulfill it…and if he can not for whatever reasonable and sincere reason...then it's optional but recommended and rewarded if strived for.

Seriously, There is much more to grab or to have to actually understand all the teachings in Islam and Ismailism and the contexts and the venues that these teachings are implied with than just the physical aspects of them. I can see a lot of things which are just simply contradicting each other on the surface but some special feelings or understanding make you understand the dynamics of these things and then everything makes sense just fine. I cannot explain it with much clarity in words as I am not a good writer...but anyways, I wish you peace in your search. just an advice if you don't mind...try to find positivity in everything...even in a Cobra snake.

By the way, I would be really happy to see Hazir Imam with a new Begum now...He's been alone too long, working too hard and traveling too much, it's time now...just my personal wish, but He knows better! ;-)
KhojaIsmaili

Post by KhojaIsmaili »

Please don't take the following personally, it is only my personal view...I would keep away from judging what the Noorani family as a whole. He is our Imam's brother, and from what I understand, you must be very elevated spiritually just to be born in the family of the ahl-e-bayt. We don't do all that we are told to do, but we have time to criticize others who don't listen to the Imam...
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

The Ahl al-Bayt - the Nurani family has a different role and purpose than others. We must not judge their lives according to normal human standards. We must also not take guidance from their actions/lives rather do what the Imam tells us to do.
Biryani

Post by Biryani »

Most of the time when someone points out something within the exoteric circles of the Imam , others simply say that we should ignore what we see and just focus on and do what we are told to do without giving any justifications or explanations of why so? I believe that everything has to make sense. The core of the Ismailisim is based on human intellect, not just on a blinded and illogical belief system. It’s another thing if we don’t see the logic and are unable to justify certain aspects of the faith.

I am not a very religious person and I might be misguided here and there…but I wonder what could be so important for someone in religious or spiritual context of a person born in the immediate family of Imam of the time. I just never thought of anyone in the Imam’s family has anything to do with the faith of Ismailism…unless if that person is actually given the title of the Imam or some other special religious/spiritual position…after all, what really matters is the relationship between murid and Murshid…rest is just like the rest of the world.

In Ismaili history there are several cases where immediate member’s of the Imam’s family has actually done some serious stuff like false claims of Imamat and divided the Ismailies and so forth…and those are not even worldly matters.

Can somebody justify this special notion of “Nurani Family”?

By the way, I don't think that the popular Islamic term “Ahl al-Bayt” which is used to refer to the People of the House of Muhammad (Muhammad, Fatima, Ali, Hassan and Hussain) is what we are talking about here…
Last edited by Biryani on Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheMaw

Post by TheMaw »

Biryani wrote:By the way, I don't think that the popular Islamic term “Ahl al-Bayt” which is used to refer to the People of the House of Muhammad (Muhammad, Fatima, Ali, Hassan and Hussain) is what we are talking about here…
Ahlu l-Bayt includes the A'immah, yes? As opposed to Ahlu l-Kisa', who were Fatima, Ali, Hassan and Hussain. The Ahlu l-Bayt remains, because it is the Ahlu l-Kisa' PLUS the select descendants of Fatimah and Ali, the A'immah.

As for the Nurani in question, I think his personal life is just that: personal. Maybe he doesn't wish to get married. Not everyone has the same kind of desire for marriage. Some people prefer to be single. They don't want a partner, children or the like.

I know it's hard to stomach in our din, our tariqah, but the idea that all persons MUST marry is cultural, not religious. I do believe that most people want a family, but not everyone does.

In any case, I prefer not to judge - not because they are Nurani, but because it's none of my business. I pay attention to Hazir-e Imam as my Imam-Pir and not to his family. If they all joined the circus as clowns, they still wouldn't actually matter. That they do invest in the AKFD and other projects is just a bonus to our tariqah, not a requirement.

Remember that the (alleged) ancestor of the current Iranian presidential hopeful Musavi, namely Musa al-Kadhim, claimed the Imamate when it rightfully passed through Ismail ibn Ja'far to Muhammad ibn Ismail.
ShamsB

Post by ShamsB »

TheMaw wrote:
Biryani wrote:By the way, I don't think that the popular Islamic term “Ahl al-Bayt” which is used to refer to the People of the House of Muhammad (Muhammad, Fatima, Ali, Hassan and Hussain) is what we are talking about here…
Ahlu l-Bayt includes the A'immah, yes? As opposed to Ahlu l-Kisa', who were Fatima, Ali, Hassan and Hussain. The Ahlu l-Bayt remains, because it is the Ahlu l-Kisa' PLUS the select descendants of Fatimah and Ali, the A'immah.

As for the Nurani in question, I think his personal life is just that: personal. Maybe he doesn't wish to get married. Not everyone has the same kind of desire for marriage. Some people prefer to be single. They don't want a partner, children or the like.

I know it's hard to stomach in our din, our tariqah, but the idea that all persons MUST marry is cultural, not religious. I do believe that most people want a family, but not everyone does.

In any case, I prefer not to judge - not because they are Nurani, but because it's none of my business. I pay attention to Hazir-e Imam as my Imam-Pir and not to his family. If they all joined the circus as clowns, they still wouldn't actually matter. That they do invest in the AKFD and other projects is just a bonus to our tariqah, not a requirement.

Remember that the (alleged) ancestor of the current Iranian presidential hopeful Musavi, namely Musa al-Kadhim, claimed the Imamate when it rightfully passed through Ismail ibn Ja'far to Muhammad ibn Ismail.
As did Mustaeli - and it was Haji Bibi - the first cousin of Imam SMS that took him to court.

Shams
Biryani

Post by Biryani »

TheMaw, to me, your explanation of Ahl ul Bayt seems logical and legitimate which in essence the immediate family of Muhammad (PBUH) and His descendants of A’immah (AS)…or else, we will have so many Arab Sheikhs and Persian Mullahs standing in lines, claiming to be Ahl ul Bayt…

One other thing is that AKDN or any other secular institution under the banner of Aga Khan is also irrelevant to Ismaili Tariqah implicitly …though you can connect them explicitly to the greater Islamic spirit of philanthropy, charity and such.

By the way, this issue raised a very significant point which I am not sure if others are aware of and have recognized it officially as a part of the Islamic ethics, which is the importance of the Women in Islam. Muhammad (PBUH), the most beloved of God and the people, happened to have His descendants A’immah (AS) through His daughter, not His son…while, in most of the world’s cultures, there is more importance given to the son as a descendant of a man, than the daughter. But here the most important office of the world, is run through the descendants of Bibi Fatimah Al-Zahra, the daughter of the greatest prophet of all times. I’m sure there would be a religious and spiritual detail of this phenomenon but not sure if this is recognized and appreciated as much on socially and worldly level.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Biryani wrote: Can somebody justify this special notion of “Nurani Family”?
The Nurani Family does have a special role in our community. At times as in the case of Prince Alykhan and Prince Amyn, they have also performed religious/communal work on behalf of the Imams. Hence although outwardly they are not designated as such they do have the ‘qualifications’ of the Imam in their ability to function as such albeit temporarily. As indicated in Prince Alykhan’s thread (under Imamat Activities), he demonstrated abilities and powers of Ali in the context of his Jamati engagements.

It is true that in our history there were times when members of the family worked against the Imam, but at present all members are united and are working together and therefore we can also assume that all have the potential of Imamat and hence they are not like any of us.
shiraz.virani

Post by shiraz.virani »

The Nurani Family does have a special role in our community. At times as in the case of Prince Alykhan and Prince Amyn, they have also performed religious/communal work on behalf of the Imams. Hence although outwardly they are not designated as such they do have the ‘qualifications’ of the Imam in their ability to function as such albeit temporarily. As indicated in Prince Alykhan’s thread (under Imamat Activities), he demonstrated abilities and powers of Ali in the context of his Jamati engagements.

brother meherali i agree with you that yes prince aly khan and prince amin muhammad indeed performed some religious activities but as WALI AHAD [ carrier of covenant or a person who confirms covenant ] but what you're forgetting is even marriage is a part of our religion.

now please dont tell me that marriage is not a religious obligation because if that was the case then i dont think our holy 48th imam[as] would have mentioned it in his memoirs

im just confused :?
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Below are two verses of Granth Moman Chetamni for reflection;

620)Eji Ali jina chaltra samoon nav joi ae
Sri satguru ne vachane seva kari ae saar
Jem jem kalikar vadhase monivaro
Tem ali rajo chaltra karshe aapar
Cheto.....

620. Do not look at what Ali does, but obey what He says, for as the times
will change, Ali's actions may be beyond your comprehension.

624) Eji Te aapana gurnar na chaltra dekhi ni boliaa
Aapana gurnar opar nahi aaniyo aet baar
Tene murkhe te manas rupe karine janiyo
Te gurnar ne vachane thar na rahya lagaar
Cheto....

624. Those who have doubted Ali by looking at His actions are foolish
because they have considered Him as their equal.
shiraz.virani

Post by shiraz.virani »

brother i never said anything against imam ali [as] who at present times is shah karim al- hussaini[as]

all i asked you is why is he not married ?? is he not going against the command of his holy grandfather [as] ?

i guess its just going to be my personal quest

ya ali madad
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

shiraz.virani wrote:brother i never said anything against imam ali [as] who at present times is shah karim al- hussaini[as]
Brother, I never implied that you said anything against Ali. I quoted the verses of the Ginan to allude to the fact that the Imam's actions can appear incomprehensible at times and that we are not equal to them. They have a different purpose and role and they are not required to obey the Sharia to purify themselves, they are already pure....

There is further explanation on this issue in the book Paradise of Submission by Tusi, Chapters 24 & 26. These chapter deal with Prophethood and Imamat.
Biryani

Post by Biryani »

Regardless of Prince Amin Muhammad’s status, that is very well said in Ginan about Ali and A’immah (AS)…
Biryani

Post by Biryani »

I just couldn’t resist posting here this article about Prince Amyn Muhammad’s superb academic and social achievements…

Prince Amyn Muhammad, the younger brother of the Present Imam Prince Karim Aga Khan, was born on September 12, 1937 in Geneva. His mother Princess Tajudawla (d.April 26, 1997) was the daughter of Lord Churston and the 7th Duke of Leinslter, the descendant of King Edward III of Great Britain. The early days of his infancy with his elder brother, were spent in Europe under the care of his parents and the personal supervision of Imam Sultan Muhammad Shah. During the Second World War, he with his brother, accompanied his mother to the trip of Nairobi, where they stayed for four year. He also participated in a large Eid prayer at Nairobi, where his elder brother led the prayers at the age of seven years.

When the World War II was over, he returned to Europe and joined Le Rosy School, Switzerland with his elder brother. Both brothers then proceeded to United States for further education at Harvard University in 1953. Both brothers used to visit Europe during the vacations to spend the holidays with their parents and grandfather.

In 1954, Prince Amyn Muhammad and his elder brother, in compliance with the instructions from their grandfather, paid first visit to the Ismaili community of Pakistan, India and East Africa. The Ismailis were overwhelmingly jubilant on having a first glimpse of these two brothers.

As an under-graduate at the Harvard, he majored in History and Literature, which entailed the study of three countries in three languages. In the summer of 1960, he received his master degree in Literature and Economics with the distinction Magna cum Laude. In the end of 1960, he entered Harvard University Graduate School of Arts and Sciences to work in the Department of Comparative Literature, towards the degree of Doctor of Philosophy.

In 1962, Prince Amyn Muhammad obtained the degree of Master of Arts and was awarded a teaching fellowship, and remained engaged in Harvard for some time as a professor of French. It implies his intellectual caliber and tremendous academic faculty. His appointment in this young age as a professor is unprecedented in the history of the Harvard University. In 1963, he passed his exams for the doctoral degree and set to work on his doctoral thesis.

In the end of 1964, he left Harvard and joined United Nations and associated with the program of implementation of development program in the under-developing countries. In March, 1965, he began to work as an Advisor on the Economic Division in UN Secretary General U Thant's office, and then started to share his services in the socio-economic affairs of the Ismaili community.

Since 1969, Prince Amyn Muhammad is working in the field of economic planning and development of the Ismaili community, and assisting his elder brother in the Agricultural Promotion Services in East Africa. He is also the Chairman of the Executive Committee of the Aga Khan Fund for Economic Development (AKFED) and of its subsidiary, Tourism Promotion Services (T.P.S.).

Prince Amyn Muhammad was taking keen interest in the semi military organizations of the Ismaili community wherever he was on his routine tour in Pakistan, India and East Africa. He was a symbol of inspiration to the Volunteers, Rovers, Scouts, Cubs, Bands, Orchestras, Girl Guides and Blue Birds. He always exhorted them to follow adamantly, the noble concept of service to the humanity and to ever remain in preparedness to respond to the call of country and nation at the time of need. His love for the scouts organization can be revealed from his unfailing visit to these organizations, and even at occasion when he was greatly embarrassed by his densely knit program of engagements, he always acceded to their requests and graced their important occasions of Ceremonial March Past, Torch Light Tattoos and Rallies by his august presence.

The Ismailia Scouts Association of Karachi and other relevant world organizations have earnestly urged to the Imam to appoint Prince Amyn Muhammad as Chief Scout of Ismaili world and the Imam graciously pleased to accede to this humble request following confirmation by Prince Amyn Muhammad to accept this exalted position.

The Aga Khan Association for Ismaili Scouts has declared him as the Chief of World Ismailia Scouts. The investiture ceremony was held at Karachi on December 7, 1974, where he took oath as Chief World Ismailia Scouts on this grand occasion. Mumtaz Ali Tajddin S. Ali is an popular Ismaili Scholar, He has written many books on history and culture of Islam and Ismailism, read about Prince Prince Amyn Muhammad and noorani family in his popular book Encyclopedia of Ismailism, must read about Other books 101 Ismaili Heroes etc.

Article Source: http://www.articlecube.com
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Thanks for sharing this background info. The Nurani Family members have a different role and are well aware of the privilege they are bestowed from birth and try to make good use of it. They do a lot of work behind the scenes without the Jamat being aware. In the Farman made to the Lisbon Jamat on 11th July 1998 MHI said:

"But I do not want to ignore or not to mention other members of My family who are working for the Jamat. And one of them is Prince Amyn whose time and talent and thought and creativity have been responsible for many of the exceptional projects that have been developed over the past years. And in many ways he exemplifies the true spirit of service in Islam. He seeks no recognition. And this is an opportunity for me to give him that recognition in front of My Jamat."

Prince Sadruddin in an interview granted to the "Third World Affairs 1985" stated about his father and their relationship:

"He was greatly misunderstood in both East and West because people only saw certain facets of his personality, but not the whole being. His conversations with me, the contacts we had, the fact that the family was in orbit around him during his lifetime, left a very powerful imprint. Perhaps I felt that because I had this background I should somehow strive to put it to good use....."